Word 2010 - File New and Templates

Hi,

(posting this here as well as in the 2010 beta forum - I  know from
experience that it is here I get the answers :-))

Are there any new possibilities to structure your templates in the File New
dialog? The need is obvious when you have several hundreds of differnet
templates.

One good solution would be that an underlying folder structure shows in the
dialog. (Like the first level in the old fileNew dialog)

Another question is that even though you under Options, Advanced, File
Locations set a location for "Workgroup Templates", the templates are not
shown in the "main Window" in the File New-dialog - you have to go to "My
templates" and then the "old" style filenew-dialog is shown.

Any comments are highly appreciated.

/Peeter

My solution for this is rather retro, the same as for Word 2007:
customize the Quick Access Toolbar to add the "New Document or
Template" button, which is in the Commands Not In the Ribbon category.
That instantly brings up the old (Word 2003) FileNew dialog. I hope MS
never removes that dialog...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 04:46:01 -0800, Mo <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>(posting this here as well as in the 2010 beta forum - I  know from
>experience that it is here I get the answers :-))
>
>Are there any new possibilities to structure your templates in the File New
>dialog? The need is obvious when you have several hundreds of differnet
>templates.
>
>One good solution would be that an underlying folder structure shows in the
>dialog. (Like the first level in the old fileNew dialog)
>
>Another question is that even though you under Options, Advanced, File
>Locations set a location for "Workgroup Templates", the templates are not
>shown in the "main Window" in the File New-dialog - you have to go to "My
>templates" and then the "old" style filenew-dialog is shown.
>
>Any comments are highly appreciated.
>
>/Peeter
0
Jay
12/2/2009 1:13:04 PM
Thanks for the quick reply,

but I'd really want to use the new FileNew interface with a
structured/categorized view.

/P

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> My solution for this is rather retro, the same as for Word 2007:
> customize the Quick Access Toolbar to add the "New Document or
> Template" button, which is in the Commands Not In the Ribbon category.
> That instantly brings up the old (Word 2003) FileNew dialog. I hope MS
> never removes that dialog...
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 04:46:01 -0800, Mo <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >(posting this here as well as in the 2010 beta forum - I  know from
> >experience that it is here I get the answers :-))
> >
> >Are there any new possibilities to structure your templates in the File New
> >dialog? The need is obvious when you have several hundreds of differnet
> >templates.
> >
> >One good solution would be that an underlying folder structure shows in the
> >dialog. (Like the first level in the old fileNew dialog)
> >
> >Another question is that even though you under Options, Advanced, File
> >Locations set a location for "Workgroup Templates", the templates are not
> >shown in the "main Window" in the File New-dialog - you have to go to "My
> >templates" and then the "old" style filenew-dialog is shown.
> >
> >Any comments are highly appreciated.
> >
> >/Peeter
> .

Sorry, no, there is no such view. If you click the "My templates" icon
in the top line of the FileNew page, you'll get the same (old) dialog.
There's no sign that Microsoft has anything else in the works, and at
this late date it's unlikely that they would add anything that
complex. You could enter a suggestion in Connect, but it would
probably be postponed for consideration in Office 15.

If you're running Office on Windows 7, you could create a library in
the Computer application to combine all the locations where you store
templates. That would make it easy to search and preview the
templates, and double-clicking one would start a new document based on
that template.

--
Jay

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 06:52:02 -0800, Mo <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the quick reply,
>
>but I'd really want to use the new FileNew interface with a
>structured/categorized view.
>
>/P
>
>"Jay Freedman" wrote:
>
>> My solution for this is rather retro, the same as for Word 2007:
>> customize the Quick Access Toolbar to add the "New Document or
>> Template" button, which is in the Commands Not In the Ribbon category.
>> That instantly brings up the old (Word 2003) FileNew dialog. I hope MS
>> never removes that dialog...
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>
>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 04:46:01 -0800, Mo <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >(posting this here as well as in the 2010 beta forum - I  know from
>> >experience that it is here I get the answers :-))
>> >
>> >Are there any new possibilities to structure your templates in the File New
>> >dialog? The need is obvious when you have several hundreds of differnet
>> >templates.
>> >
>> >One good solution would be that an underlying folder structure shows in the
>> >dialog. (Like the first level in the old fileNew dialog)
>> >
>> >Another question is that even though you under Options, Advanced, File
>> >Locations set a location for "Workgroup Templates", the templates are not
>> >shown in the "main Window" in the File New-dialog - you have to go to "My
>> >templates" and then the "old" style filenew-dialog is shown.
>> >
>> >Any comments are highly appreciated.
>> >
>> >/Peeter
>> .

0
Jay
12/3/2009 1:14:30 AM
Thanks for your effort. I'll check your suggestion about creating a library...
/P

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> Sorry, no, there is no such view. If you click the "My templates" icon
> in the top line of the FileNew page, you'll get the same (old) dialog.
> There's no sign that Microsoft has anything else in the works, and at
> this late date it's unlikely that they would add anything that
> complex. You could enter a suggestion in Connect, but it would
> probably be postponed for consideration in Office 15.
>
> If you're running Office on Windows 7, you could create a library in
> the Computer application to combine all the locations where you store
> templates. That would make it easy to search and preview the
> templates, and double-clicking one would start a new document based on
> that template.
>
> --
> Jay
>
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 06:52:02 -0800, Mo <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the quick reply,
> >
> >but I'd really want to use the new FileNew interface with a
> >structured/categorized view.
> >
> >/P
> >
> >"Jay Freedman" wrote:
> >
> >> My solution for this is rather retro, the same as for Word 2007:
> >> customize the Quick Access Toolbar to add the "New Document or
> >> Template" button, which is in the Commands Not In the Ribbon category.
> >> That instantly brings up the old (Word 2003) FileNew dialog. I hope MS
> >> never removes that dialog...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Jay Freedman
> >> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> >> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> >> newsgroup so all may benefit.

> >> .
> >>
> .

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

customizing quote merge template

CSV File Problem

CFile (delete file)

Dr Wilbers Montgomery 05/21/2010
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CAFB6E.DEB1D090 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'm trying different types of places to send thru. If this doesn't come thru I will call KTIS tomorrow and have them help me. I have been having a problem with them too... Sorry it's taking so long. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CAFB6E.DEB1D090 Content-Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document; name="may21201...

import a 123 file

How to install WCF templates?
How to install WCF templates for Visual C# 2008 Express Edition? I have Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition too and my computer is running on Winodws XP Professional. I can find WCF template in VWD2008EE but not in VC#2008EE. Any help would be appreciated Thank you Regards Raj On Apr 15, 1:55=A0pm, Raj <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How to install WCF templates for Visual C# 2008 Express Edition? > > I have Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition too and my computer is > running on Winodws XP Professional. I can find WCF template ...

Public Folder link to Excel File

Setting up a new e-mail account

2011 Calendar templates
what's up with the calendar templates? why can't i find a 2011 calendar in Word 2007 templates or online. i would like both a 12 month calendar 1 month per page and the 6 months per page Can anyone help me? Thresa See http://www.spreadsheetguys.com/downloads/templates/calendar or http://download.cnet.com/Excel-Calendar-Template/3000-2077_4-10346449.html -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com &quo...

Word 2004 overriding global prefs
Okay.. PMG5 running 10.4.6. I have a problem with the default page setup settings in two limited user accounts (my own, admin account, is fine). As I am in the UK, the global default paper size is set to A4. All applications respect this - bar Word. Every time it's fired up, and a new document selected, the paper size is always US Letter. This does NOT affect any other Office application. I have tried trashing prefs - I've even removed (using the supplied removal tool) and reinstalled Office. My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She wouldn't ...

Renaming Partial File Names

opening a .docx with word 2004

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file