What does "start PID" and "end PID" mean?

After downloading some word documents from a educational website, some
two-part pink symbols appear on the page. When the cursor hovers over the
left side of the symbol, "start PID" appears; when hovering over the right
side of symbol, "end PID" appears.

That document is marked up with XML tags. I have no idea what "PID"
means -- that's the choice of whoever created the document. The pink
start and end tags show the extent of the "PID" element.

The following instructions are for Word 2007.

If you don't want to see the tags:

- If you don't see the Developer tab of the ribbon, go to Office
button > Word Options > Popular and check "Show Developer tab in the
ribbon".

- Click the Developer tab. On the ribbon, click the Structure button
to open the XML Structure pane.

- In the pane, uncheck "Show XML tags in the document".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 15:02:18 -0700, Maureen
<Maureen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After downloading some word documents from a educational website, some
>two-part pink symbols appear on the page. When the cursor hovers over the
>left side of the symbol, "start PID" appears; when hovering over the right
>side of symbol, "end PID" appears.
0
Jay