Using cross-references to bookmarks from Word 2003 to Word 2007

I have been frustrated with not being able to use the report form I created
in MS Office 2003 once I upgraded to 2007.  Here is what I want to do: Create
boxes of text that I can type into (or dictate into using Dragon Naturally
Speaking) so that the text is then automatically copied into another text box
with the same name. For example, "Patient: John Doe" After typing or
dictating in "John Doe" in the text box after "Patient:" the text "John Doe"
would automatically be copied into the text box in another area of the
document labelled "Patient:" so I would not have to type it myself again. I
would want to do the same with several other text boxes: Date, Date of Birth,
Record Number, Unit, Reason for Referral, Diagnosis and Recommendation. In MS
Office Word 2003 I had used text boxes with bookmarks in the original box and
a cross-reference in the destination text box that automatically typed in the
text that I had bookmarked. It worked beautifully. But it doesn't work in MS
Office Word 2007. One difference is that the 2003 Word document had the
formed locked so that I could tab through as I dictated.  I can't seem to get
this one to lock that way.  But I have found a round light green button I put
on my tool bar called "Next Field" so I just use that.  Could someone take me
step by step through the process of creating such a document in Word 2007? I
sure would appreciate it! The new document either says "Error! Reference not
found." or when I went back and re-did all the text boxes and put in new
bookmarks and then cross referenced the destination text boxes to the earlier
book marked ones nothing happened, i.e., the destination text boxes are
blank, they did not update with the bookmarked text.

It sounds like you need to activate the Developer tab on the Ribbon - Click
on the Office button, then on Word Options in the bottom border of the
dialog and then on Popular and check the box for "Show Developer tab in the
Ribbon."

On that tab there is the Protect section that contains a Protect Document
button which, when clicked will display the same protect document pane as
was present in Word 2003.

Apart from the means of getting access to the Protect Document facility,
everything else should function the same as it did in Word 2003.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Peter Hansen" <PeterHansen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been frustrated with not being able to use the report form I created
> in MS Office 2003 once I upgraded to 2007.  Here is what I want to do:
> Create
> boxes of text that I can type into (or dictate into using Dragon Naturally
> Speaking) so that the text is then automatically copied into another text
> box
> with the same name. For example, "Patient: John Doe" After typing or
> dictating in "John Doe" in the text box after "Patient:" the text "John
> Doe"
> would automatically be copied into the text box in another area of the
> document labelled "Patient:" so I would not have to type it myself again.
> would want to do the same with several other text boxes: Date, Date of
> Birth,
> Record Number, Unit, Reason for Referral, Diagnosis and Recommendation. In
> MS
> Office Word 2003 I had used text boxes with bookmarks in the original box
> and
> a cross-reference in the destination text box that automatically typed in
> the
> text that I had bookmarked. It worked beautifully. But it doesn't work in
> MS
> Office Word 2007. One difference is that the 2003 Word document had the
> formed locked so that I could tab through as I dictated.  I can't seem to
> get
> this one to lock that way.  But I have found a round light green button I
> put
> on my tool bar called "Next Field" so I just use that.  Could someone take
> me
> step by step through the process of creating such a document in Word 2007?
> sure would appreciate it! The new document either says "Error! Reference
> not
> found." or when I went back and re-did all the text boxes and put in new
> bookmarks and then cross referenced the destination text boxes to the
> earlier
> book marked ones nothing happened, i.e., the destination text boxes are
> blank, they did not update with the bookmarked text.

0
Doug

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook