Need help extracting text from EDLs

I really am trying to learn this stuff, but I haven't programmed anything
since my TRS-80 Basic days and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I want to extract text from Edit Decision Lists so that I have a list of
shots used in a film.  Here is an example of one event of an EDL:

002  TAPE004  V     C        04:45:22:06 04:45:24:14 02:00:08:00 02:00:10:08
FROM CLIP NAME: 7C-4_B_
DLEDL: PATH: /raids/luc_1/bun/reel_02/oscans/1222/bun_7c_4_b_02/2048x1556/

The text that follows "FROM CLIP NAME:" is the name of the clip that I want
to extract so that I have a document on only clip names like this (for
example)...

7C-4_B_
8A-1_A
12_B-11_A

And I'd like to modify this same macro to extract other items, like the
PATH: of each clip.  At some point I will combine them into one awesome macro
that does it all making a table... but I can't even get started.

Thanks for any help with this.

Hi Paul,

Try using Find/Replace with the 'use wildcards' option checked, and:
Find = (*^13FROM CLIP NAME: )([!^13]{1,})(^13DLEDL: PATH: )([!^13]{1,})^13
Replace = \2^t\4^p

This should return both the clip name and its path, separated by a tab.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Paul Carlin" <Paul Carlin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A943572-CC3E-43B3-AAD0-89219E557DB6@microsoft.com...
>I really am trying to learn this stuff, but I haven't programmed anything
> since my TRS-80 Basic days and I'm a bit overwhelmed.
>
> I want to extract text from Edit Decision Lists so that I have a list of
> shots used in a film.  Here is an example of one event of an EDL:
>
> 002  TAPE004  V     C        04:45:22:06 04:45:24:14 02:00:08:00 02:00:10:08
> FROM CLIP NAME: 7C-4_B_
> DLEDL: PATH: /raids/luc_1/bun/reel_02/oscans/1222/bun_7c_4_b_02/2048x1556/
>
> The text that follows "FROM CLIP NAME:" is the name of the clip that I want
> to extract so that I have a document on only clip names like this (for
> example)...
>
> 7C-4_B_
> 8A-1_A
> 12_B-11_A
>
> And I'd like to modify this same macro to extract other items, like the
> PATH: of each clip.  At some point I will combine them into one awesome macro
> that does it all making a table... but I can't even get started.
>
> Thanks for any help with this.
0
macropod
2/23/2010 3:52:24 AM
To help you understand Macropod's suggestion, see the article "Finding and
replacing characters using wildcards” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/UsingWildcards.htm

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Paul Carlin" <Paul Carlin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I really am trying to learn this stuff, but I haven't programmed anything
> since my TRS-80 Basic days and I'm a bit overwhelmed.
>
> I want to extract text from Edit Decision Lists so that I have a list of
> shots used in a film.  Here is an example of one event of an EDL:
>
> 002  TAPE004  V     C        04:45:22:06 04:45:24:14 02:00:08:00
> 02:00:10:08
> FROM CLIP NAME: 7C-4_B_
> DLEDL: PATH: /raids/luc_1/bun/reel_02/oscans/1222/bun_7c_4_b_02/2048x1556/
>
> The text that follows "FROM CLIP NAME:" is the name of the clip that I
> want
> to extract so that I have a document on only clip names like this (for
> example)...
>
> 7C-4_B_
> 8A-1_A
> 12_B-11_A
>
> And I'd like to modify this same macro to extract other items, like the
> PATH: of each clip.  At some point I will combine them into one awesome
> macro
> that does it all making a table... but I can't even get started.
>
> Thanks for any help with this.

0
Doug
2/23/2010 5:31:05 AM
Thanks for all the help.  I got it to work.

Outlook Help (Auto Archive)
Hi. Can someone help me with the fact that MS Outlook 2000, which is my email client, archived an important message that I need to retreive. I need some resources. Thanks, Steve It should be no problem - from the FOLDERS LIST menu and select ARCHIVE FOLDERS and navigate to the e-mail you are looking for (for example click INBOX and then find the message you want) You can then click and drag the message to your active e-mail folder. Hope that helps. "Smitsky" wrote: > Hi. Can someone help me with the fact that MS Outlook 2000, which is my > email client, archived an...

I Need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 by 100
Merry Christmas, I need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 by 100. Anybody know a way to do this? put 100 in a cell, copy it, select row 2 and 3, do edit>paste special and check divide Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brent E" wrote: > Merry Christmas, > > I need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 by 100. Anybody know a way to do > this? Put "=1/3" in a cell and then select it, copy, then select rows 2 and 3 and click edit | paste special | multiply. "Brent E" wrote: > Merry Christmas, > > I need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 b...

Help needed with Multipage UserForm (VBA)
Bear with me folks, I'm a newbie when it comes to VBA: In John Walkenbach's book "Excel 2002 Power Programming with VBA," there is an example of a multipage UserForm (Wizard) where the data is inserted in contiguous cells of a (single) active sheet. I'm looking for the syntax (or better still, an example) for inserting the data inputs in specific cells in different worksheets, in a multi-worksheet workbook. Any help will be appreciated. Not quite sure what you're looking for, but maybe: Option Explicit Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() With ActiveWorkboo...

copying a MS word text doc to the cilpboard
I can copy & paste from e-mail , Internet articles or ms word docs saved in word format. I cannot copy & paste text saved in MS Word that are saved as a text file. Any suggestions? Why not? What is preventing you from doing that? On the other hand, a true Text file(.txt) can be opened with NotePad, or WordPad and Word is unnecessary. William Payne wrote: > I can copy & paste from e-mail , Internet articles or ms word docs saved in > word format. I cannot copy & paste text saved in MS Word that are saved as a > text file. > Any suggestions? ...

Stop Text Boxes From Containing Same Info?
How to I get text entered in one text box to STOP automatically appearing in another text box on a different page? When creating a brochure using one of the templates, I key the company address in the return address section of the middle panel of Page 1. (When I rest my mouse pointer over this textbox it is called the "Address Text Box" as shown in a yellow tip box.) After I key the return address on Page 1, it automatically appears in the "Address Text Box" on Page 2. If I edit the text box on Page 2, it changes the text on Page 1, etc. How can I stop these te...

Do I need an include headerfile for the BYTE datatype
I keep getting this message on compiling : BYTE' : missing storage-class or type specifiers any help would be sincerely appreciated best regards windef.h from the PSDK or use typedef unsigned char BYTE -- - Mark Randall http://zetech.swehli.com "Those people that think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" Isaac Asimov "RM" <RM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D8C6136-01B7-4454-A2A5-FB75D6070656@microsoft.com... >I keep getting this message on compiling : > > BYTE' : missing storage-class or t...

help locate address book
i moved my pst file to my new computer, got my folders, contacts, and calendar, but seemingly no address book. is there a separate file i need to copy over? tia Not normally since you usually use your Contacts folder as an address book. If you right click on the Contacts folder and go to the Outlook Address Book tab can you check the "Show this folder as an email address book" box? Also, which version of Outlook are you using? <sstovall3@aol.com> wrote in message news:ah3tk19th4hk07ch88v8d2vb73qtk0ndgg@4ax.com... >i moved my pst file to my new computer, got my folder...

text show as ######
Hi, I have a cell in Text format with "wrap text" enabled, And I copy from notepad multiple lines of text. The cell turns to show "################", Can anyone tell me why and how to make it show the correct text? Thanks a lot. -- Leo Leo Change the format to General. Usually clears this up. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:04:51 -0400, "Leo Lin" <leolin1@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have a cell in Text format with "wrap text" enabled, And I copy from >notepad multiple lines of text. The cell turns to show "...

Help Needed With Exchange 2000 to 2003 SBS
Hi, I am currently running SBS 2000 with Exchange Server 2000. I need to blow the server away completely and clean install with SBS 2003. My only worry is how to get the old 2000 Exchange data into the new 2003 Exchange without having to go round manually creating PST files on each user's Outlook. I have dismounted the Store and backed up the EDB and STM files to a separate machine as well as all the log files in the MDBDATA folder. Can I then just import these files into Exchange 2003?? Any help gratefully accepted. Apologies if I am in the wrong group. Siv You should post t...

Need to change serial numbers
Accidently installed same serial on another networked machine. Only discovered this a couple weeks later. I believe there's an easier way to change the serial rather than deinstall and reinstall, but the solution is not obvious by any means. Any thoughts? TIA -- To reply by email, remove the word "space" In article <labolide-3A61D4.10003212022007@news.giganews.com>, Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote: > Accidently installed same serial on another networked machine. > Only discovered this a couple weeks later. > I believe there's an easier way to ...

only returning cells with Text in it
Hi, I have a column that returns some text, if something else is true. Now what I want to do is take only the cells in that column and list them on another sheet. The trick is, that ill need to do this with a frmula, since it will be a hosted template and the user wont be able to use excel functions like sort, etc. so, if I have 10 cells and 3 of them have test in them, I want to show only the text in those 3 cells in another sheet. I hope that makes sense.... Thanks for your help.... Assuming that Sheet1!A1:A10 contains your data, enter the following formula in Sheet2!A1 and copy do...

How do I change a shape but retain the text?
E.g., In cross functional flow diagram I want to replace a predifined process shape with text in it with another shape whilst retaining the text. you might check this out http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/ al "Parkbenchmutant" <Parkbenchmutant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68BC65ED-6801-495A-A7E8-3BAF4837AE7B@microsoft.com... > E.g., In cross functional flow diagram I want to replace a predifined > process > shape with text in it with another shape whilst retaining the text. Thanks Al, I was kind of hoping that Visio would have thi...

Html emails stripped down to plain text
I have two users for the company I work for that are trying to send html formatted emails to eachother they are using Outlook 2003. Now I know all the security issues and stuff that comes with it but they are the bosses and thats what they want. So when User A sends an email to User B the html is stripped out and its put into plain text. But when User B gets html emails from others they can see it in html. User A can recieve and read html emails from User B just fine. So my question is who has the problem User A or User B and what is the problem? Then how do you fix that problem? Thanks,...

need to download office 2003 to my windows xp
i have tried everything i know to find the office 2003 that my school says i need to continue with my corses. however, all i find is the updates for office 2003 . i dont need the updates untill i get the original , do i ? -- dianne You cannot use the updates without the original. And Office is not downloadable. You need to purchase a copy. As a student there are some great deals available to you. Try your school bookstore. And BTW..this is a Dynamics GP (Great Plains) site. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tip...

CMyApp Destructor is not executing
On closing the application i want to delete some data i have written that code but in App class destructor as belo CMyApp::~CMyApp( ErasePreviousData() CWinApp::~CWinApp() but the ErasePreviousData(); function is not executing the destructor function it self it is not callin where to delete that dat Even I handled the OnExitInstance also but the data is not deleteing here data is some temporary files created while app is running pls help me urgentl Thank u all in advance shiv Thanku all I got solution to do tha I handled that in CMainFrame Pretranslate Message Function In that I...

Need help about some basic stuff
(Kinda long explanation here to make people understand what I want t know, just *read the summary if you don't want to read everything her for topics I need help with*) All right, so I haven't used Excel in years so there are some things don't remember and I'd really appreciate it if someone could help m with that. I've got two simple questions (it's only one question split in two guess): Let's say I want cell A4 to display the sum of A1 to A3. To do that, wrote =SUM(A1:A3). It works, but I don't want cell A4 to display a result when there ar no values i...

Help on this: keep receiving multiple emails
recently my outlook keep receiving multiple emails, they are all the same, for one sigle email, I may get 2-5 copies received in outlook. I think there is nothing going on with my ICP, cause i've leave a copy on the server, and view emails via Web interface without downloading by pop3, none email is duplicated. First I thought it maybe email scaning software that keep creating copies of the same email. I boot to safemode with network support, no other program was loaded, but the same issue happen again, and the currently network connecting is ok, i can view emails via web page. In...

searching for text inside a text box
I have large ammounts of text stored in text boxes all across my spreadhseets, and it would be really useful to be able to find text in them. However, I noticed that Find (Ctrl+F) doesn't work while the cursor is in a text box. Is there any way to perform such a search? Thanks for any help. ...

Text disapearing on sent email messages
Hi, We are having the following problem on a customer's site. Network description: Server: Windows 2000 Server Exchange Server 2000 All almost uptodate on all updates. Workstations: Windows 2000 Pro Microsoft Office XP (Outlook XP) Also all updated. For some time now the users have been complaining that some emails they send get to the recipients blanked. They type text usually (using both WinWord as email composer and the builtin Outlook composer) and send the emails by clicking the send button. When they check the Sent Items Folder to make sure that the email is...

Help with CArray::SetSize()
Hello everyone, I want to fill up a CArray object while reading records from a file. I can't know the number of records in advance (I don't want to read the file twice), but I can start with 25 records by calling CArray::SetSize(25, nGrowBy??). [CASE 1] >> If I reach the end of file and I have read less than 25 records, I can then call CArray::FreeExtra(). [CASE 2] >> If I have read the 25 records before reaching the end of file, then I will call CArray::Add(). I have two questions: 1. What should be the second parameter of CArray::SetSize(25, nGrowBy??)? Could you...

I need a formula to calculate 2-3 columns but skip a column if it has a zero
I'm building a Golf League spreadsheet and we want to calculate handicaps starting with the second week (calculates 2 weeks) and then after the 3rd week calculates every 3 weeks. Columns B-S are the individual weeks scores for each golfer (golfers listed by row 4-33), each column (b-s) has a formula which pulls the golfers score from the input worksheet(weekly input) to this worksheet(scorecard). Starting with Column V we are trying to have the running handicap for the year which changes each week. Column W is the first week handicap =AVERAGE(B4-36)*0.8 (this ones easy) Column X is the se...

How to provide hotkey to system default HELP button?
Hi, I want to provide hotkey to the system's default 'Help' button. Could anyone help me in that? Thanks, -Varada Which help button are you talking about? -- Vipin Aravind MVP "Varada" <kvarada@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137068622.901340.90100@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I want to provide hotkey to the system's default 'Help' button. Could > anyone help me in that? > > Thanks, > -Varada > Here is one way. Press WinKey+F1 WINVER must be set to at lease 0x0410 (windows 98) for this to work. /...

Printer does not print all text
For some reason one of my Publisher file is not printing all the text; only about 75% of the text is there. I have tried to print from a different computer but have the same problem. On screen, everything looks right and great. I am using Publisher 2007. Andy help would be appreciated. You might want to check the manufacturer's web site of your printer model for an upgraded driver. If you think your present driver is correct, uninstall it and then re-install. It is always wise to completely remove a printer driver before installing/reinstalling. How to clean up printer drivers...

Navigate to a particular link doesnot display the text sometimes
Have used navigate method of IWebBrowser2 in a property page to display the htm file. Debug prints shows the correct path is given for a link ( eg path for one of the hyper links path is C:/../team_typesENU.htm#aft) inside htm file . Sometimes the contents of the file does not get displayed .Contents are shown only when clicked on the control itself or navigate between the pages. text is hidden. anybody can let me know why is this happening ? ...

HELP! GP won't let me overwrite the starting check number...
example: A check was skipped and either situation a. needs to be used now or b. need to start the checks at a different number... either way, this darn thing won't let me overwrite the check number field. I can't find the setting in setup pallette to allow that - where is it, or how do I fix this??? Both are under Cards > Financial > Checkbook. The next check number is on the left side. Whether to allow overriding or reusing check numbers is on the right side. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Want to use Crystal Reports with GP? http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpre...