managing instances of Word

is there such a thing?

i'm running vba to open a new word doc from a template, do some stuff, save
as pdf then close the doc

if i quit the app via vba and other instances are running I get a this file
is in use by another user, normal.dotm

if i quite the app via vba and no other instances are running I get not
error and word quits fine.

this seems like an instance management issue?

also if there are other instances are running, and i just close the doc and
not quit the app in vba, everything is fine. when i go to close the app
manually, i get the same normal.dotm error.

its like word apps opened by me manually and by vba seemed to have different
owners?

0
JR

See the article "Control Word from Excel� at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/ControlWordFromXL.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"JR" <iloveVBA@gmail.com> wrote in message
> is there such a thing?
>
> i'm running vba to open a new word doc from a template, do some stuff,
> save as pdf then close the doc
>
> if i quit the app via vba and other instances are running I get a this
> file is in use by another user, normal.dotm
>
> if i quite the app via vba and no other instances are running I get not
> error and word quits fine.
>
> this seems like an instance management issue?
>
> also if there are other instances are running, and i just close the doc
> and not quit the app in vba, everything is fine. when i go to close the
> app manually, i get the same normal.dotm error.
>
> its like word apps opened by me manually and by vba seemed to have
> different owners?

0
Doug
6/3/2010 11:45:04 PM
That did it! Thanks!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> See the article "Control Word from Excel� at:
>
> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/ControlWordFromXL.htm
>

> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "JR" <iloveVBA@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> is there such a thing?
>>
>> i'm running vba to open a new word doc from a template, do some stuff,
>> save as pdf then close the doc
>>
>> if i quit the app via vba and other instances are running I get a this
>> file is in use by another user, normal.dotm
>>
>> if i quite the app via vba and no other instances are running I get not
>> error and word quits fine.
>>
>> this seems like an instance management issue?
>>
>> also if there are other instances are running, and i just close the doc
>> and not quit the app in vba, everything is fine. when i go to close the
>> app manually, i get the same normal.dotm error.
>>
>> its like word apps opened by me manually and by vba seemed to have
>> different owners?

0
JR

Converting numbers into words?
We would like to be able to convert 125.00 to one hundred and twenty five. Search Google for: Converting numbers into words in Excel You'll get a raft of solutions, the first being: http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm The next appears to be the same solution direct from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q213360 Regards Trevor "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB50451B-B2E7-4933-A1E1-6D172F88C30E@microsoft.com... > We would like to be able to convert 125.00 to one hundred and twenty five. ...

How to get last session position in 2007 Word
Hi! There was the simple and vary convenient AutoOpen macro in 2003 Word Sub AutoOpen() Application.GoBack End Sub that give last editing position when open document. This macro does not work at all in 2007 Word. What can I do instead? Check this thread. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?query=application.GoBack&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement&cat=en-us-office-word&lang=en&cr=US&pt=617c4d62-4061-4107-8d46-2a22fc6fa202&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us Hope it helps, -- Brian McCaffery ...

copy a number typed in a cell to another & change it to word form.
There are instructions in the following MSKB article: How to convert a numeric value into English words in Excel http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=213360 "ex:1 in a cell = one in a different cell" wrote: > ...

MS Picture Manager tries to open Adobe pdf files
How do I stop Picture Manager from trying to open pdf files? It appears to have made it's self the default program for most email attachments. -- Paul Paul Harrison wrote: > How do I stop Picture Manager from trying to open pdf files? > It appears to have made it's self the default program for most email > attachments. =============================================== The following article explains how to change a file association. Windows Vista - How to Associate a File Extension Type With a Program in Vista http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69758-default-pro...

Convert Word 6.0 to Word 2003 programatically
With the latest security update from MS Security Existing word templates documents could not be loaded and they started throwing exceptions each time we load. We would like to convert the existing Word 6.0 to Word 2003 programmatically or by using a tool. How do we convert using .NET? Or any existing MS Tool Thanks for the help It sounds like your problem maybe with the KB973904 security update. Try removing it. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, ...

Word set up
When I installed word, I inadvertently hit the key board and inserted random text. Now whenever I start word I get a page with that random text, rather than a blank page. This is driving me nuts. Can someone suggest how I could remedy this? Thank you. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/blankdocnotblank.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "the Skeeterman" <the Skeeterman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64E64AEF-EE8C-47C0-AAAC-E9005BACB5A1@microsoft.com... > When I installed word, I inadvertently hit the key board and insert...

Text colour for certain words ?
I have an Excel database, how can i get excel to mark every instance of a certain word in red ?? I know there must be a way, but i'm not very excel literate yet ! Cheers Andrew put a heading(e.g. "name") to the column . highlight the column- cick data-filter-autofilter. click arrow at right bottom of "name"-in the list that pops up click the particualr word or string. Now you will get only those cells which have this particular word or string. highlight visible cells and mark red using drawing toolbar. again click data filter autofilter. now the filter is r...

Is there a Publisher Viewer, like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint view
Microsoft offers viewers for documents created in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, allowing users without those programs to view documents created by those programs. I'm looking for a similar product, for Microsoft Publisher. Someone has sent me a Publisher document, and I'd like to be able to read and print it. No, there isn't. Ask the originator of the file to send it to you as a .pdf. "Account Manager" wrote: > Microsoft offers viewers for documents created in Word, Excel, and > PowerPoint, allowing users without those programs to view documents created >...

policy management
i have a mixed environment of exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5. i have migrated all the mailboxes to the 2003 server and about to remove the exchange 5.5 server will it be okay to remove the default site policy created to support backward compatibility that holds both server so that other policies created below it can take effect. mikeolo ...

Mailbox Management not working in Exchange 2000
I have Exchange 2000 with the Post-SP3 hotfix rollup. I also followed KB 326397 and set the value of the msExchMailboxManagerAgeLimit to 3 for the first two polices (tried it first without changing it). Now the situation.... I have 3 mailbox management policies setup. The first one deletes messages older than 365 days out of the: Inbox, sent items, calendar, journal, deleted items, system cleanup folders, all other mail folders. The second one deletes messages older than 30 days from: inbox, sent items, calendar, deleted items, and system cleanup folders. It also deletes items ol...

Managing Outlook Windows Powershell
dear scripting guys i am new to windows powershell, and i need your help in creating a windows powershell script that moves all mails from folder A ( and all it's subfolders) to Inbox then delete the folder A thank you in advance ...

TRying to mail merge to email, using Word and Entourage

Word 2000 with Excel 2003
Greetings from humid Southeast Texas. A friend of mine (who is not incredibly computer literate) has Word 2000 installed on her machine. Yesterday she went out to buy Excel, and she bought Excel 2003. If she installs this version of Excel will it affect the current Word 2000 installation? Thanks, Andrew No, it shouldn't. On 25 Sep 2004 14:34:28 -0700, noshoesdrew@yahoo.com (Andrew C. - Houston, Tx, USA) wrote: >Greetings from humid Southeast Texas. > >A friend of mine (who is not incredibly computer literate) has Word >2000 installed on her machine. Yesterday she went o...

Copy data between 2 instances of Excel
Hello, I have 2 windows of Excel with data. The data are separated (not in one workbook). I would like to copy the data from one Excel to another via VBA or Macro. How can I do that ? Thanks If you look at the Object Model you'll see that Workbook is a collection. Any open workbook should be part of that collection. So, if you only have these 2 books open you should be able to switch from workbook(1) to workbook(20, using the sheets collection, and the cells collection, ranges, etc to grab the data from one book and copy or move this to the other. E.g. Workbooks(1).Sheets("...

Collections Management Email Status
Customer would like to have an Inquiry, Report or Window (aside from Status Recipient) that can show them the Emails that were successfully sent from the past. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGro...

Please Help! Spanish has hijacked my Word 2007 spell checker!
I have saved (repeatedly in existing and new blank documents) all my settings to English, US. However, my spell checker is marking everything in red. When I look at it, the spell check suggests spanish spelling of the words. The spell checker says Spanish, US. I go back, all setting say English. Default language is set to English. I don't know what else to try. Make sure to turn off the "Detect language automatically" option in Review tab | Set Language. Note that once the language has changed in a document, you may have to select the whole document and manu...

Any word on the release of CRM version 2.0?
I was reading the recent press release from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2004/dec04/12-14YearReview.asp#empowering) and noticed no mention of the next release of Microsoft CRM in it. Does anyone know when the next version is planned for release? There is a product roadmap on the partner site inside a powerpoint presentation: https://partner.microsoft.com/productssolutions/business/40006821 This says Version 2 is slated for Q2 of 2005 (April-June). Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Jim" wrote: > I was reading the recent press releas...

removing exchange instances after failure
Hi, how does one go about removing all traces of Exchange 2k3 from the active directory if a failure occurs which prevents the correct removal of the server? Hi Martin, If you have attempted to use the remove form Org switch on the Exchange CD and it is still in AD you can use ADSIEdit to go into the AD and manually remove the Exchange Server attributes. 278918 XADM: How To Manually Remove a Single Exchange-based Server from Active http://support.microsoft.com/?id=278918 Hope this helps, -- Patrick Genova Pgenova@online.microsoft.com Please do not send mail directly to this alias. This...

How to copy Word 97 doc to Word 2000?
I sent a Word 97 document to a friend (which I have done many times previously) who is now running Windows XP and using Word 2000. In the past (running Windows 2000, I think) he would open the Word 97 doc with his Word 97, copy and paste special into Publisher 97 as a picture and resize to his liking. It no longer happens! � How can we get the Word 97 document into his Publisher 97? � Your help will be greatly appreciated. � Ron Specifically what happens? All you've said is that "it no longer happens". -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Ronald Mason"...

Can't open excel or word documents (says insert sm bus cd?)
I have been running Windows XP for over a year without a problem, but now I can not open any of my Excel or Word or Outlook documents because it says that I need to insert my small business cd. I don't have that cd. This has happened once before and I just used my system restore function and it was fine, but that won't even work this time. HELP!! ~~Angela @ angela27@iglide.net ...

Picture Manager as a print to option
I have Picture Manager installed but would like to be able to select this program as a print (to file) option just the same as Fax, XPS Document Writer or connected printers. Thank you, You can "Paste" into it, not "Print". Sneff wrote: > I have Picture Manager installed but would like to be able to select this > program as a print (to file) option just the same as Fax, XPS Document Writer > or connected printers. > > Thank you, Your reply made me realise that I had it wrong. It was Microsoft Office Document Image Writer that I was...

Exchange System Manager Issues
Issue: This is a new problem. I am receiving an error message when I try and open Exchange System Manager. The message reads: "The Server Is Not Operational Facility WIN32 ID No: 8007203a Exchange System Manager " Also, when I now try to open Active Directory Users and Computers, I get "The server is not operational". This only started happening since I had my domain MX record changed to point mail to my new exchange server. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Dave ...

RMS Manager keeps asking for CD.
I have RMS installed on Laptop and configured to access the database in which my store runs on. Everytime it asks me to insert the Small Business Office CD. And it asks about 5 times . I can eventually get in by clicking cancel. But was looking for a solution. Any Ideas ? Thanks guys. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0103_01C92F91.09298850 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Sam, Try running a repair install of RMS in Add/Remove programs. Have the = RMS disk available. --=20 Jeff=2...

Workflow Manager 10-26-07
We recently had to reinstall our CRM Server, the redeployment tool was very helpful, however my workflow rules don't appear to be working. Any suggestions? I currently have a rule that in the past, after the technician completed his entry the ownership of the Service activity would change to me. Now the only way that happens is if you manually apply the rule. I just went into the manager file and noticed that all rules seem to be in a waiting stage from the time the server was brought back up. "deh" wrote: > We recently had to reinstall our CRM Server, the redeployme...

Spellchecker in word 2007
why does microsoft word 2007 spell checker recognize the word "Osama" but not "Obama?" It does recognize it here. Is your copy of Word 2007 fully updated? If not, you can download the needed updates, or you can add Obama to your custom dictionary. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "cg" <cg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7C2676C-4841-49C9-9C03-444F43415A96@microsoft.com... > why does microsoft word 2007 spell checker recognize the word "...