inserting all graphics in folder into Word doc

We have been using the macro below for years in the Word 2003 environment.
The macro lets you select a folder and then it inserts all jpg graphics in
that folder into a blank Word doc.

In preparing to migrate to Word 2007, I've found that the macro does not
work at all there, returning the Runtime error 5111, "This  command is not
available on this platform", highlighting the With Application.FileSearch
line.  Internet research says that the Application.FileSearch object is no
longer available, but is replaced by FileSystemObject in later versions.  I'm
not a programmer, but have been trying to follow instructions to replace this
object -- with absolutely no success.  Any advice about what specifically I
need to do in order to make this macro work (OR any other macro that would
perform the same function) would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

dogwoodnc

Source of original macro:
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Word/microsoft.public.word.vba.general/2006-08/msg00046.html

Other resources I've looked at today:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920229
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185601/
http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4116

BTW, I've made sure to checkmark the References to both the Shell Control &
Automation commands and the Microsoft Scripting Runtime commands (under
Tools).

Original macro (which worked on Word 2003):

Sub InsAllPics()

Dim strFldr As String
Dim strFName As String
Dim cntFiles As Long
Dim thisFile As Long
Dim cntShape As Long
Dim oIShape As InlineShape
Dim strLookIn As String
Dim strPName As String
Dim ChrPos As Integer

strLookIn = GetFolderName("Choose a folder")

cntShape = 0
thisFile = 1
With Application.FileSearch
..LookIn = strLookIn
..FileName = "*.jpg"
..Execute

cntFiles = .FoundFiles.Count

Do
strFName = .FoundFiles(thisFile)
Set oIShape = Selection.InlineShapes.AddPicture(strFName)

' The following bits were used to set the height and width
' of an inserted graphic or photo.
''' oIShape.LockAspectRatio = msoTrue
''' oIShape.Height = InchesToPoints(9)
''' oIShape.ScaleWidth = oIShape.ScaleHeight

''' If oIShape.Height > 360# Then
''' oIShape.Height = InchesToPoints(5)
''' oIShape.ScaleWidth = oIShape.ScaleHeight
''' End If

thisFile = thisFile + 1

Selection.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
Selection.TypeParagraph

' This part is where the file name is inserted
' You can substitute another string
ChrPos = InStrRev(strFName, "\")
strPName = Right(strFName, Len(strFName) - ChrPos)
Selection.Text = strPName
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
''Selection.InsertBreak Type:=wdPageBreak
Selection.TypeParagraph
Selection.TypeParagraph

' This code has been through some adjustments, and I
' don't always remove the bits and pieces from before.
' As it is right now, it puts paragraphs after each inserted
' photo. As it was before, using the sizing options above,
' it inserted two photos next to each other and then inserted
' paragraphs using the bit below.
''' cntShape = cntShape + 1
''' If cntShape = 2 Then
''' Selection.TypeParagraph
''' cntShape = 0
''' End If

Loop Until thisFile > cntFiles

End With

End Sub

''' This function opens a folder list box to let you
''' select the folder containing your photos. Don't
''' forget to set the library reference.
Function GetFolderName(sCaption As String) As String
'Needs a reference to (Tools > Reference)
'Microsoft Shell Controls And Automation
Dim oShell As Shell32.Shell
Dim oFolder As Shell32.folder
Dim oItems As Shell32.FolderItems
Dim Item As Shell32.FolderItem

On Error GoTo CleanUp

Set oShell = New Shell
Set oFolder = oShell.BrowseForFolder(0, sCaption, 0)
Set oItems = oFolder.Items
Set Item = oItems.Item

GetFolderName = Item.path

CleanUp:
Set oShell = Nothing
Set oFolder = Nothing
Set oItems = Nothing
Set Item = Nothing

End Function

"Internet research says that the Application.FileSearch object is no
longer available, but is replaced by FileSystemObject in later versions. "

This is not fully correct.  FileSystemObject has been around for a long time,
and does not "replace" FileSearch.  I have no idea why Microsoft removed
FileSearch from the object model, but it is very annoying that they did.

There are some work around replacement DLL for FileSearch that functions
quite well actually.

However, from the looks at what you are doing, a simple use of Dir() may do
the trick.

Dim file   ' to use for the graphic file

strLookIn = GetFolderName("Choose a folder")

file = Dir(strLookin & "\" & "*.jpg")

Do While file <> ""
     strFName = strLookin & "\" & file
     Set oIShape = Selection.InlineShapes.AddPicture(strFName)
     '  your other stuff
    file = Dir()
Loop

Gerry

--
Gerry

Fumei2
4/29/2010 9:27:26 PM
Here's part of a macro that allows the user to browse to and select a folder
and then inserts all of the .jpg files from that folder into the active
document:

Dim fd As FileDialog
Dim strFolder As String
Dim myFile As String
Set fd = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
With fd
    .Title = "Select the folder that contains the files."
    If .Show = -1 Then
        strFolder = .SelectedItems(1) & "\"
    Else
        MsgBox "No folder selected."
        Exit Sub
    End If
End With
myFile = Dir(strFolder & "*.jpg")
While myFile <> ""
    With ActiveDocument
        .Range.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
        .InlineShapes.AddPicture strFolder & myFile
        .Range.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
        .Range.InsertAfter vbCr & myFile & vbCr
    End With
    myFile = Dir()
Wend

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Dogwoodnc" <Dogwoodnc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> ''' cntShape = cntShape + 1
> ''' If cntShape = 2 Then
> ''' Selection.TypeParagraph
> ''' cntShape = 0
> ''' End If
>
> Loop Until thisFile > cntFiles
>
> End With
>
> End Sub
>
> ''' This function opens a folder list box to let you
> ''' select the folder containing your photos. Don't
> ''' forget to set the library reference.
> Function GetFolderName(sCaption As String) As String
> 'Needs a reference to (Tools > Reference)
> 'Microsoft Shell Controls And Automation
> Dim oShell As Shell32.Shell
> Dim oFolder As Shell32.folder
> Dim oItems As Shell32.FolderItems
> Dim Item As Shell32.FolderItem
>
> On Error GoTo CleanUp
>
> Set oShell = New Shell
> Set oFolder = oShell.BrowseForFolder(0, sCaption, 0)

0
Doug
4/29/2010 9:47:17 PM
Thank you to BOTH Doug and Gerry! It's working great now!

This newsgroup is wonderful!!

"Dogwoodnc" wrote:

> [...]
> ''' cntShape = cntShape + 1
> ''' If cntShape = 2 Then
> ''' Selection.TypeParagraph
> ''' cntShape = 0
> ''' End If
>
> Loop Until thisFile > cntFiles
>
> End With
>
> End Sub
>
> ''' This function opens a folder list box to let you
> ''' select the folder containing your photos. Don't
> ''' forget to set the library reference.
> Function GetFolderName(sCaption As String) As String
> 'Needs a reference to (Tools > Reference)
> 'Microsoft Shell Controls And Automation
> Dim oShell As Shell32.Shell
> Dim oFolder As Shell32.folder
> Dim oItems As Shell32.FolderItems
> Dim Item As Shell32.FolderItem
>
> On Error GoTo CleanUp
>
> Set oShell = New Shell
> Set oFolder = oShell.BrowseForFolder(0, sCaption, 0)

Cloning folder display settings?
Hi, Is there a way to create a new folder with a specific set of display parameters. That is, number of columns, sorting criteria, etc. I would like to apply a "standardized" Customized Current View to new and exiting folders without having to wade through all the options each time. I am using Outlook 2003. Thanks, Alan Alan P. Biddle <APBIDDLE@ATT.NET> wrote: > Is there a way to create a new folder with a specific set of display > parameters. That is, number of columns, sorting criteria, etc. I > would like to apply a "standardized" Customized Cu...

Mailbox/Folder Sizes
Is it possible for me to see the size of each users Mailbox and Folders? Thanks, Jeff In news:fejk42tj37tcaq1s2j3k2qmn20m91nt7gd@4ax.com, Jeff Grossman <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> typed: > Is it possible for me to see the size of each users Mailbox and > Folders? > > Thanks, > Jeff In ESM, you can see the size of each mailbox, but it won't break it down into subfolders. you can see the sizes from "Mailboxes" in the ESM...you have to drill down from Administrative Groups, to Servers, to Storage Groups, to Mailbox Stores...but from there you cannot see ...

Can't delete "virus" program from Temp Folders
Hi! I have 3 remaining "virus" programs in temp folders: * c:\windows|temp * c:\Doc & Sett\name\local settings\Temp When delete or move to desktop, get error: "Cannnot move........being used by another program..." Tried Safe Mode, but "virus" programs not there...... Any way I can delete or move to trash? MUCH THANKS! Gene:) What program are you using to try to remove them? What anti-virus app is installed, and is that what you are using to remove them? Install update and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and see if it can remove them in...

inserting rows using visual basic
I have a data set that I have been working on for the past few days. am new to visual basic and could use a little help with my problem. The data is organized by time (0,1,2,3...22,23 hrs) but not every hou is present. I would like to insert any missing hours WITHOU disrupting the present data. And, any row that is missing an hour, th rest of the cells in that row need to read "0". There is an attached file that shows what I have and also what I need. Thank Attachment filename: missingrows.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachme...

How to search for a personal FOLDER?
I have so many personal folders, that I can't find 1. I searched for a message and found it; it tells me the folder name that it resides in, but I can't find that folder! I can get to the message, but I want to be able to see what else is in that folder, so that I can make sure items are better organized. Is there a way to search for a personal folder and get its path? I tried advanced find using the "all outlook items" criteria, which the field "In Folder," but this failed. Thanks in advance, -J ...

Word & PDF
I am using Word 2003. My documents have two section breaks. One after the Title Page, one after the Table of Contents. There are Headers and Footers in the document itself but not the TOC or Title Page. My problem is when I convert to PDF (which we do for emailing purposes) the document ends up in three PDFs, one for each section. Is there any solution to this - the client is not impressed with three PDFs. Look at the settings for your PDF converter software. It seems as if some "split" option has been activated. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "...

Serious Word Problem
Today my WORD 2007 suddenly refuses to recognize and open either doc or docx formatted files. With doc files I get the error message converter cannot open the document and it talks about converter file mswrd632.wpc needing to be removed and reinstalled. As for docx it says word can't read the information in the file. I am suspicious because of the large number of recent microsoft updates. Can anyone help with this? Hi, Many users are encountering this problem. See the "Known Issues" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904 . -- Hope this helps, Pes...

Excel Financial Statements Copied into Word
I insert Excel Worksheets into Word. Some of the underlines and bouble underlines show on the screen but do not print. -- MAB Rather than inserting the Excel worksheets into your Word document, I would suggest copying the data that you need from the worksheet as a picture and then pasting that picture into the Word document. To do so, highlight the data in the spreadsheet that you want to place into the Word Document. Hold down the "shift" key and then go to Edit -> Copy Picture -> As Shown When Printed. Then go into your Word document and Edit -> Paste. -- ...

Copying and pasting an Auto Shape from PowerPoint 2003 to Word 200
When copying a circular Auto Shape from a PowerPoint flow chart into a Word document using Office 2003 the paste into Word 2003 elongates that small Auto Shape into an oval roughly 5-6 inches in length. Is there anyway to retain the shape's original size when pasting into Word? It doesn't happen here. Send me your PowerPoint file at dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org and I will have a look at the issue. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted ...

No Printing a word
I am using Word 2003. I want to put the word "FINANCIAL" on a financial page of a long report just so that it will be part of the "table of contents", but do not want it to print on the financial page itself. I believe there is a way to do this, but right now I am having a senior moment. Can anyone tell me how to do this or at least point me in the right direction? aurora Insert a TC (table of contents entry) field with the word "FINCANCIAL." You can do that via the Mark Table of Contents Entry dialog box, which you can display by pressing Alt+Sh...

User Deleted Startup Folder From Navigation Pane
One of our users deleted their startup folder from their navigation pane. I haven't been able to find how to recreate that. How can it be recreated? We are on GP 9.0. Never mind - apparently just creating a new folder called startup works. "Jodi" wrote: > One of our users deleted their startup folder from their navigation pane. I > haven't been able to find how to recreate that. How can it be recreated? We > are on GP 9.0. ...

Moving attachments automatically to a file folder
Hi, Is there an easy way to configure Outlook 2000 to move attachments from certain messages automatically to a file folder. I mean a normal file folder in Windows, outside Exchange/Outlook environment. I would like to create an archive for attachments, and this archive would have to be accessible by several users, at the same time - so a .pst file is not a good option. It seems that I cannot use a rule or auto archive function to perform this, as they do not allow me to specify a target folder outside the Exchange environment. I do not have permissions to change the configuration o...

Publisher 2003 Not Showing Graphics (Pictures)
OK, this is just too weird. Two computers, both running Publisher 2003. On #1, all graphics load and everything is fine. On #2, all of a sudden [last week] *SOME* of the pictures stop showing up, replaced by placeholder with red 'x'. So what happened last week? Why some pictures and not others? I emptied out temp folders, switched the "View" settings for pictures, but I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions? Wayne Day wrote: > On #2, all of a sudden [last week] *SOME* of the pictures stop showing > up, replaced by placeholder with red 'x'. > ...

stop extra spaces in text? Word xp. formated font/para ok
I'm using a C.V. template, word xp 2003, when I press the space bar, the whole text moves, and I cannot correct this. I've tried font and paragraph formatting. It's now happening in another template, sometimes I add a word, and again the text spaces increase ruining the document. I would be very grateful for any help. I need to get my C.V. in the post asap, but I've opened word, and am trying to copy/paste into it as a last resort. HELP! Kind Regards, What do you mean by "the whole text moves"? What "text spaces" increase? On Apr 27, 11:20...

Sharing Folder Outlook 2003
I can't seem to find any help on this subject. Used to be that you could add a folder from somewhere on the hard drive to the folder tree in Outlook. Can't do that anymore (with Outlook 2003). On my home PC Outlook 2003 is confiugred with 2 profiles. One for me, one for my wife. I would like to have certain emails sent to a common folder so when she opens up Outlook she can see them. Before I create a rule that autoforwards them to her account I was hoping to try just setting up a common folder. Your help is much appreciated. Matt Dear Matt, have a look on this site for...

insert comments
hi all,is it possible to allow comments to be inserted while the worksheet is protected? thanks. wyn -- WYN Depends how you protected the worksheet. In xl2002+, under tools|protection|protect sheet, you can allow the user to edit objects (check it). In xl2k and earlier, there's a checkbox on that dialog that you can check. WYN wrote: > > hi all,is it possible to allow comments to be inserted while the worksheet is > protected? thanks. wyn > -- > WYN -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Rehome Public Folders from one E2K3 to another E2K3 server
Hi We have just installed a new Windows Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 and we need to move all the data fra the old server running Exchange 2003, but we are having some problems. We can easily move each users mailbox but we can't get it to move the Public Folders. The new server is part of the same domain as the original E2K3 server. All the documentation we have found on this subject informs us that we should do the following: 1. Right click the first Public Folder and select Properties. 2. Select the Replication tab. 3. Add the server where the Public Folders should be moved to. 4...

update numeric labels after insert
I have a spreadsheet with a list of bills before the State Legislature. I'd like to be able to insert a new bill into the list and have the numeric labels, 1,2,3,4... automatically increase by 1 from the inserted row down rather than have to re-autofill all of them. I can't imagine that someone hasn't already done this. Anyone have any ideas? TIA In your numbers column, try this: =ROW() And drag down to copy as needed (the first time). From then on, all you'll need to fill will be the actually inserted rows. If you're not starting at Row1, revise the formula to get the...

2003 office Word doc is locked...how do I unlock in office 2007
I have a 2003 Office Word doc, that I locked [gold padlock icon] it prevents anyone from moving the cursor and therefore modifing my document....Now I have MS Office 2007 and my forms are all 2003 forms that are locked, but I dont see the same gold padlock to click to unlock it so I cant move my cursor around the form. You can add the 'lock' command from the all commands group to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) or better still download the add-in from http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm to put all the familiar forms tools on the Developer tab of the r...

archive folder
Using win XP and outlook 07. I have seven archive folders showing on the left with sub-folders. At one point I thought I would archive all the folders seperately, and I assume this is why these exist. but that was overkill and I would like to get to the default AND get rid of those 7 archive folders. Can this be done? tia -- YKW~ ````````````````````````````````````````````` " It wasn't until late in life that I discovered how easy it is to say 'I don't know'." W. Somerset Maugham Sure, right click and close. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post a...

How hard is it to crack a password that's been set for a Word or .
We're considering using the password protection built in the Office when emailing Word and Excel, but I'm wondering how secure this method really is. I see alot of companies on the internet who offer to crack a password code for a fee. With regard to Excel, your information is never completely safe. As you've seen, there's plenty of free and commercial password crackers out there that can bypass worksheet protection, workbook protection, file protection, and VBA project protection. Bottom line: remove confidential data from workbooks before sharing them. HTH Jason At...

Duplicate folders #3
I seem to have duplicate folders in Outlook XP. SOme of the content is the same, but there are 2 seperate Inbox folders. How can this be or what have I done? ...

Public Folder Rights / ~ Cleanup
Dear all, Since a mailbox needs an associated account in Exchange 2003, I'm planning on migrating all shared mailboxes to Public Folders. I'm looking into the pros and cons, and the only con I can see right now is the rights assignment: via DL's is not an option or working, and AD groups aren't usable. 1. I was wondering how other people are doing this? 2. If I choose for a per-user rights assignment, and I delete the user, the Public Folder will still show NT-USER-S-1-5-etc in the permissions list. Is there a cleanup way for this? Versions: Exchange 2003 SP1 on Window...

Word 2003: Macro to insert manual page breaks
We need to match the original layout of Word 2003 documents when creating the HTML version for filing with the SEC. Some documents are over 200 pages. Currently we are inserting a manual page break at the end of each page. Does Word use an internal code to know where to break the pages for 8.5 x 11 paper that we could use in creating a macro? -- Sprinter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sprinter's Profile: 1480 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=178495 [url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&...

Public Folders 503 Error
I've got a back-end server running Exchange 2003 and a Front End server connected running Exchange 2003. The outlook web access works just fine on the front end server, except for when I click on the Public Folders I receive a HTTP 1.1 503 Service Unavailable. I have followed Microsoft's KB 823159 about troubleshooting a 503 Error, and none of the symptoms described really match. My services are all running as local system accounts, my services are all running, I am not receiving errors about the Registry Key that exceeds 259 characters, nor do I have any GPO policies in place. The...