How do I add certificates for digital signatures

I'm trying to follow the directions at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP052495571033.aspx
and when I get to the step where I'm supposed to choose a certificate,
the list is empty.  Where is it looking?  How do I add a certificate?
0
Chris

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:47:39 -0800 (PST), Chris Nelson
<chris.nelson.1022@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to follow the directions at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP052495571033.aspx
>and when I get to the step where I'm supposed to choose a certificate,
>the list is empty.  Where is it looking?  How do I add a certificate?

I'm guessing you skipped over the "How?" item under step 1 and went
straight to the "Sign a macro project" item under step 2.

In the "How?" item it explains that there are several ways to get a
certificate -- from a commercial authority, from an in-house
certificate server (the "internal security administrator" option), or
by running Selfcert.exe. It's a little skimpy on details, though:

- Commercial certificate authorities charge and arm and two legs for
signing certificates, usually several hundred dollars per year. That's
OK for a company that's going to sell its software, but out of the
question for less profitable uses.

- An in-house certificate server needs to be certified itself by a
root authority, usually one of the commercial authorities. Once that's
done, the server can crank out a lot of certificates, which makes each
one cheaper, but you have to need a lot of certificates. That isn't
true for most of us.

- A self-cert is free, but it's really meant only for signing macros
that will be used only on your own computer. That kind of makes sense,
because it's too easy to lie and tell folks "trust me!" and then give
them something that will trash their files.

To see how it works, run Selfcert.exe, either with the shortcut at
Start > Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Digital
Certificate for VBA Projects, or by going to C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 and double-clicking the file. (If it
isn't there, rerun the Office setup from Control Panel > Add/Remove
Programs and choose to add Digital Certificate for VBA Projects (under
the Office Shared Features icon).

When you enter a name for the certificate, the program creates the
certificate and stores it in an encrypted location. (Commercial
certificates would be stored in the same place, but the method of
storing them is a bit different.) Now, when you open the digital
signature dialog in the VBA editor, you'll see the certificate with
the name you gave it, ready to apply.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

How can I add transaction while using the online version of money
Ok... when I first bought Money several years ago and installed it on my home computer, I could then login while at work via the passport and see the information that I had entered on my home computer. If I purchased something during the day I could go online and add the transaction which was great way to know at any given moment what my TRUE balance was in my account. Now when I check my Money account online from work I can see all the information I've entered at home but now there is no way to add a new transaction other then from my home computer where I have Money installed. ...

Excel 2003 adds extra quotes to CSV upon resaving
I have a CSV that when viewed in notepad has the following 2 lines "R1","J","3","","N","4",":4","0" "R1","L","2","","N","4",":4","0" but no matter if i open in by double-clicking or importing the data into a blank worksheet, then resaving, when i open the CSV in notepad, it comes out looking like this, with extra quotes, rather than just the quoting following along with the original 2 lines. """R1"","...

Problem in permanent type add-in toolbar
Hi, I have been facing a issue with dealing with my add-in toolbar. I want to make my toolbar permanent so that use can hide and reposition it permanently(even after restarting Outlook). At the same time, I want to support my add-in toolbar for all opened Outlook explorer. I want to make sure that at any point of time there must be one and only one toolbar on any Outlook window. I have tried below methods but none worked: 1. Tried deleting toolbar on shutdown. This doesn't delete the toolbar and each restarting outlook adds new toolbar. Private Sub AddinInstance_OnBegi...

VC++ .NET 2002: How To Use the Class View's Properties window to add a message handler for the WN_KEYDOWN message
Hi all I used "The EX05c Example: Scrolling" of the book "Programming With Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Core Reference" (6th Edition) as my 3rd example of MFC exercises to catch up my VC++ .NET 2002 (VC++ 7.0) programming. I started my 'Eg05c' project in the MFC Application Wizard and followed the 1 thru 7 steps instructed in the book (pages 82-85) I believed I did the steps 1, 2 and 3 correctly: 1 - In MFC Application Wizard -Eg05c, I setthe CEg05cView to "CScrollView" 2 - I added the m_rectEllipse and m_nColor data members in Eg05cView.h by typing in "...

Excel Add-In for SQL Server Analysis Services Error -- Need Help
I have the add-in installed and it was working. However, lately I keep getting an error stating: Excel Add-in for Analysis Services has not been initialized I have uninstalled and reinstalled but no luck. Anyone help out here? Alan ...

graphic signature #2
Does anyone know of a script for adding a graphic image as a default signature? Charles <ckeast@shaw.ca> wrote: > Does anyone know of a script for adding a graphic image as a default > signature? Just include the graphic in your signature file. See if this helps: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/signatures.htm -- Brian Tillman I too am having difficulty with this task. Have you had any success? I have done everything described in demo's, confirmed proper settings in Outlook etc. and it still does not display the graphic. Only that good ol' "red X"...

How do I stop "Do you want to add this person to messenger" popups
Several times a week I'm getting popups, asking if I want to "add this person to messenger". This is getting very, very annoying. How do I turn this "feature" off? I know when someone I actually care about is going to add me to messenger, I can turn it on when that time comes. Several times a week? I get it many times a day, and it's driving me crazy! What you are supposed to do is go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy. Here, under Contact Lists you will find a check box saying "Alert me when other people add me to their contact list". Y...

add to Runas command
I tried adding some more functionality to the batch file below with no success. Is there a way that I can add to this batch file? For example, color 1f and loading some macros would be great too. Thanks. runas.exe /user:Administrator cmd.exe Below is an example batch file (incorporating the command you quoted ) I have working on my system to add some helpful stuff to a new "cmd" window.... *NB Make sure the batch-file is named ADMCMD.BAT and is in the system's "path" (i.e.; in a folder included in the PATH variable, usually C:\WINDOWS is one) and...

Default Signatures using Outlook Web Access
Because I primarily access email via Outlook Web Access (do not use desktop version of Outlook), I would like to have new/reply messages in OWA default to use a standard signature. I know how to set this up with the desktop version of Outlook. I have also seen how a signature can be picked if your desktop version of Outlook is "configured and runnable" when you are using OWA. However, can a standard signature be set up when only using OWA? Thanks, I would appreciate any help. What version of Exchange are you using? Exchange 2003 OWA offers a default signature. There are a...

Excel and ADD INS
Using Automation, I'm trying to startup an Add-In to Excel called Crystal Ball. Does anyone know if there is an API or how I can go about doing this within Excel programically ? ...

OT...Free Trial...Digital Image Starter Edition 2006...OT
Announcing the availability of the Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006. This is a fully functional, downloadable trial version with all the bells and whistles of MS Digital Image Suite 2006. The program will revert to very limited functionality after the 60 day trial period. Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006 http://tinyurl.com/8x6ea Be aware that it's a 109 MB download.... BTW, this program includes Photo Story 3.1 and it has the capability to create VCDs. -- John Inzer Guess a dial-up connection might take a while, huh? ;-) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Micr...

MRMS Certification
Dear Mates, Let me know how can i proceed with the MRMS certification. Any course materials available? Any institutes? Thanks in Advance ...

formula to add a number to a long string **
I'm not quite sure how to best describe this: I need a formula that will take the example below and return the "final result" Col. A = 24.43.234.555 and Col B= 23 making Final Result = 24.43.234.578 Is there a way to do this? This seems to work: =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-3)&(RIGHT(TEXT(A1,"0"),3))+23 HTH, Ryan--- -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "MMangen" wrote: > I'm not quite sure how to best describe this: > > I need a formula that will take the e...

How do i add " to the beginning of all cells
I have a login script that has lost its quote marks. example: DisableChangePassword=dword:00000001 It should read: ::\"::DisableChangePassword::\"::=dword:00000001 I have already added the quotes to the far side: DisableChangePassword::\"::=dword:00000001 But i am having trouble adding the first quote mark. Oh by the way there are over 500 entries to be made, so one at a time is not what i want to do. Also not all rows need the quote marks. Thank you for your help!! -- yvanblo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ yvanblo's Profile...

HELP: Add textbox to a frame at run time
Hi All, How can I add text boxes on the form at run time based on what user inputs in a textbox? For eg: I have a textbox "Total Students" , so Once I input a number in that textbox, I want to have that many textboxes on the form during run time. If I input 4 I want four textboxes to be displayed on the form. Thanks in advance ...

How print preprinted certificate in appropriate spaces
I purchased preprinted certificates and don't want to handwrite all the certificates. How would I print it so that I can get it in Word in the appropriate spaces? The first tool you need is a ruler. You can then position text using Spacing Before or text boxes. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "MeiMei" <MeiMei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41E3E21C-7AE7-446F-B017-DA03DA4B5FB8@microsoft.com... >I purchased preprinted certificates and don't want to handwrite...

i need to add more options to a formula but i don't know how
hi, on one of my worksheets i use this formula =SUMIF(G126:G242,"UNPAID",F126:F242) this tells excel to add up all our unpaid invoices and tell me how muc we are owed. I now want the formula to add up all the boxes with unpaid next t them, plus all boxes with these phrases next to them: received-not banked yet banked-not cleared yet so i have tried things like thi =SUMIF(G126:G242,"UNPAID(or)received-not banked yet(or)banked-no cleared yet",F126:F242) but it does not work. as you will have guessed i am not too great wit excel. :confused: incidentally, unpaid, re...

add contacts to email addressbook, when option greyed out?
if i goto contacts/properties/outlook address book , the option to "show this folder as an address book is greyed out. i cannot use the conternts folder or any othe folder i have created as a adress boook it always remains greyed out. any ideas please? Create a new mail profile - you have given precious little information on your setup but I would bet dollars to donuts that you attempted to transfer your data using Windows Easy Transfer. That never works for OUtlook data without creating a corrupt profile. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep ...

Outlook 2003
I have four different accounts setup in Outlook. I know that it is possible to use a default signature for new messages and replies with each account. However, when selecting New to start a new message, naturally, it uses the default mail account and inserts the corresponding signature. However, when changing the sent from account in the Accounts drop down, one would expect the "default" signature to be used; i.e. Outlook would delete the signature that it initially inserted and replace it with the default signature for the selected account. This is not what happens. Seemingly, ...

what happens when a digital certificate expires
I think I'm forced to digitally sign my ClickOnce manifest and assembly for a windows forms application (see yesterday's post, 'click once deployment cannot continue'. This seems like a stupid question, but in all the articles I've read, I can't find what happens to a user when the digital certificate expires. Does the application just fail? Am i going to be scrambling to acquire a new certificate and publish updates signed with the new certificate? Will the application automatically update to the new version with the new certificate, once it is publis...

Any way to add tables and have the sync out?
Is there any way to add a table to the CRM db and have it sync out to the MSDE databases properly? Am I wishing? If I used a separate database on the MSDE, how difficult is remoting? You can add a table to the CRM db but it will not sync to the remote one. guess your looking at writing a custom solution "Jake Horn" <jhorn@sequelnow.com> wrote in message news:eQDqYM%23pDHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to add a table to the CRM db and have it sync out to the > MSDE databases properly? Am I wishing? > > If I used a separate database on the MS...

Is it possible to add Credit Memos to Check Distribution Report?
In GP Check Distribution Report (Reports - Purchasing - Check Information - Check Distribution) is it possible to add Credit Memos that are applied to Invoices on a check? Currently this report by default only shows the Invoices the Check is paying off, but if possible we'd like to show any credit memos associated with invoices on this report. Thanks very much!!! Definitely NOT without a Customization. -- Regards, Vaidy "GPLoveHateRelationship" wrote: > In GP Check Distribution Report (Reports - Purchasing - Check Information - > Check Distribution) is it poss...

Add an item in outlook
How can i add a folder under inbox remotely for all my users.I want to create this folder for all my users with his inbox charcterstics(is special for each user). Then i want to send a message with special content to go inside this folder. Thanks ...

XLL Add-in
I need to understand how to make my C++ functions available in Excel-2003. I'm using Visual C++ 2008. I'd like to use the most direct interface, hence I ~believe~ XLL is the way to go, not DLL. Correct? I tried to Google the topic and I could not spot a very basic explanation or guidelines. All links assume previous competence on the topic. I would appreciate is someone can give me directions or a link where I can start. try http://www.codematic.net/Excel-development/Excel-xll/excel-xll.htm and http://www.codematic.net/Excel-development/Excel-xll/Visual-Studio-Excel-xll-project.htm ...

me w/CERTIFICATE -Digital ID still blocked.
me add signed/approved CERTIFICATE and it show. me at Windows Mail/Tools/Internet Accounts/(*select account)/Poperties/Security/Signing Certificate/Select/(*Select Certificate)/Encrypting Preferences/Select/???/Select Default Account Digital ID/???(only "Cancel" depresion is available [because no CERTIFICATE DISPLAY]). the Algorithm/3DES. me problem lies at the ??? of the formula. me can-not cee now to aplies ze CERTIFICATE to Email Account Setting. ya\ *=item(s) r available. ty 4 yur replies. $$$ $$$ -- UNIVERSAL RULER; OWNER FEDERAL GOVERNMET; GOD OF UNITED STATES;...