Form fields vs. document properties

I'm creating common templates for multiple dealers of the same product.  For
example, one dealer may open my "Client Guide" document and all he needs to
do is update approximately 20 fields and he is done.  I'm using the standard
document properties fields for my company information, but there are 10+ more
unique fields I  need to do this for.

I've been trying all night to use quick parts, building blocks, etc. to
accomplish this but I am really struggling.  I can use a fill-in field, but
it prompts for the field every place I use it.  I've enabled the "developer"
portion and have been trying that as well.

Can anyone just point me in the right direction - I'm going in circles and I
know I am so close!  Any comments are appreciated!  Thank you very much.

For  help on creating protected forms, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/FillinTheBlanks.htm

In order to use form fields in Word 2007, you will need to display the
Developer tab (Office Button > Word Options > Popular > Show the Developer
tab in the Ribbon) and then use the  Legacy Forms controls from the Legacy
Tools palette in the Controls group on that tab. You will find those
controls more accessible if you modify the ribbon as described at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm

See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

See also Word MVP FAQ - Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm

for a more in depth explanation, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Paula-cizer" <Paula-cizer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm creating common templates for multiple dealers of the same product.
> For
> example, one dealer may open my "Client Guide" document and all he needs
> do is update approximately 20 fields and he is done.  I'm using the
> standard
> document properties fields for my company information, but there are 10+
> more
> unique fields I  need to do this for.
>
> I've been trying all night to use quick parts, building blocks, etc. to
> accomplish this but I am really struggling.  I can use a fill-in field,
> but
> it prompts for the field every place I use it.  I've enabled the
> "developer"
> portion and have been trying that as well.
>
> Can anyone just point me in the right direction - I'm going in circles and
> know I am so close!  Any comments are appreciated!  Thank you very much.

0
Graham
4/7/2010 1:26:42 PM
Thank you Graham, I'm excited to try all your recommendations!  I appreciate
your time to help me.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> For  help on creating protected forms, see
> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/FillinTheBlanks.htm
>
> In order to use form fields in Word 2007, you will need to display the
> Developer tab (Office Button > Word Options > Popular > Show the Developer
> tab in the Ribbon) and then use the  Legacy Forms controls from the Legacy
> Tools palette in the Controls group on that tab. You will find those
> controls more accessible if you modify the ribbon as described at
> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm
>
> See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm
>
> See also Word MVP FAQ - Userforms
> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm
>
> for a more in depth explanation, see
> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Paula-cizer" <Paula-cizer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm creating common templates for multiple dealers of the same product.
> > For
> > example, one dealer may open my "Client Guide" document and all he needs
> > do is update approximately 20 fields and he is done.  I'm using the
> > standard
> > document properties fields for my company information, but there are 10+
> > more
> > unique fields I  need to do this for.
> >
> > I've been trying all night to use quick parts, building blocks, etc. to
> > accomplish this but I am really struggling.  I can use a fill-in field,
> > but
> > it prompts for the field every place I use it.  I've enabled the
> > "developer"
> > portion and have been trying that as well.
> >
> > Can anyone just point me in the right direction - I'm going in circles and
> > know I am so close!  Any comments are appreciated!  Thank you very much.
>

> .

Merging into Word document
I'm having 2 merging problems. One is even though I format a cell as "zip + 4" on the spreadsheet (81202-3470), Word merges it as without the "dash". And when I inputted a "dash", it merged it as a zero even when I changed the format to general, text, etc. The other problem is when a cell is formatted as a phone number, the merged document shows a zero, when I want it to be blank. And it doesn't print as (303) 860-0122, it prints as 3038600122. HELP! I've saved a couple responses from Deb Dalgleish. She's recommended this to other pe...

How to change the default value in "Filter On" field (Microsoft CRM 3.0)
Hi. When I open a contact in CRM, I can view the sales activities (Opportunities, Quotes, Orders, and Invoices) under "Sales" session. Is there any way I can change the default value under "Filter On" drop down menu? For example, when I click on Invoice, I want "Filter on:" drop down list select "Paid" instead of "Active" Thanks for your advice. You do the following: Settings -> Customizations -> Customize Entities Select the contact entity Then you will see a list of views and a form. One of those views is set ...

rms internet integration documentation
we're using the new west standard integrator to download orders from our storefront database. it looks like the data is getting captured ok, but i can't process any test orders with Ctrl-shift-F10. the item status is a red x.... I can't begin to troubleshoot because I have no documentation. what's my best resource? I had the same issue, and am almost done fixing it. Send me an email to discuss: johnnym59@(removethis)fastbreaksports.net JVM "cdunn52" wrote: > we're using the new west standard integrator to download orders from our > storefront d...

creating custom "objects" document/view
hi in CAD softwares, there are *objects* there that we can drag and drop to a form, like a resistor/diode/electronic symbol. with that cad software are able to create electronic schematic design. what is the nature of the form that holds such object? is that an activeX container? and what is that *object*? young_leaf ...

Option in SOP setup to not allow users to override document #
There should be an option in SOP setup to lock down the document # field so users cannot override the document number ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=0f465a...

Adding tables from MS Word document
I had someone send me a article we're using in a newsletter that has a table. The article is done in MS Word. How can I easily add the document and keep the table looking the same as it does in the MS Word doc?? Did you try copy and paste? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uTfwiw8SIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I had someone send me a article we're using in a newsletter that has a >table. The article is done i...

Customizing fields
Hello, I am writing in reference to Trevor Rabey's suggestion from my previous post to use a text field, customizing it to use a lookup table, for displaying resources in the task sheet. This is a great advice and fits exactly my needs. I renamed the field, created a lookup table with the resources. The only problem I encountered so far is that I can't have several values in that field. I want to have pretty much the effect I get in the Resources field, where the different resources are separated by a coma. However, in the custom field, when I choose an entry from the drop...

IF Field expression not working
I'm trying to use an IF statement to add text to a 2003 Word doc based on the numerical value of a form field (whose bookmark name is TimeAndExpense). It's not working. Here's the field code: { IF { FORMTEXT TimeAndExpense } >0 "Display This Text" " " } Am I trying something that's not possible? If the form field with bookmark name TimeAndExpense is blank, the text string is nonetheless displayed. Thanks... IF fields in forms require REF fields to reference form field bookmarks. So you need this: { IF { REF TimeAndExpense } &...

Criteria to prompt for field and omit certain records
I have a query that prompts the user for the install number. I also need it to omit any records that have "obsolete" in any of the revision fields. Following is my SQL code. If I include the Not Like "*obs*" criteria, the install number is not included in the report. If I exclude the Not Like "*obs*" criteria, the install number is included in the report, however all records with a revision of Obsolete also show up. SELECT [Engineering Drawing Numbers].MasterProject, [Engineering Drawing Numbers].[INSTALL NUMBER], [Engineering Drawing Numbers].[INST...

Attaching documents without saving them as an OLE file first.
It would be helpful to be able to attach documents (scanned) via a "ONE" step process vs. saving the scanned document to a file and then attaching that file as an OLE document in the "Note" field. Basically, place the item to be scanned in the scanner, press START and the image is immediately scanned to the "Note" field. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, fo...

Problems with a one to many form
This is going to sound stupid, but anyway. I have a main form with two sub forms. One of them works perfectly as a one to many sub form, but the other is actually sourced from the main table. I'm trying to redesign the system so that this form actually links off another table, and I can't simply start over because there is already data in the required fields. I've set up the second form in an idenical manner to the first, but no matter what I do, the form simply will not display in a one to many fashion. At best it displays everything in the table, regardless of which main record I...

Command button that will unckeck all the ckeck box on my form.
Hi folks, I've a put a field name: merchandise received with the data type yes/ no in my table called: Tbl_Cedule And I dragged the yes/no field on my continuous form. Now, is there a way to a command button that will unckeck all the ckeck box on my form? if so, how can do that and where do I need to put the command button? Please be specific, I am beginner in this field. Thanking you all in advance for your help! Fred's On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:20:22 -0800 (PST), "Fred's" <frederic10_mess@hotmail.com> wrote: It's hard to be specific when you are not. The ge...

export VBA code in forms, modules and reports
I'm wondering if there's an automated (ie, using VBA) method to write the VBA code that underlies my forms and reports to a text output file, external to the database. For example, if I have a form called frmItems that has a module, is there a way I could create a file called "frmItems_vba.txt" that would have the VBA code from the module associated with the form? Thanks! Take a look at the undocumented SaveAsText method. I talked about it in my February 2005 "Access Answers" column in Pinnacle Publication's "Smart Access". You can read ...

Selecting multiple criteria in a report in Acc 2007 using a form
How can I select multiple criteria using a form to generate a report in Access 2007. -- Lady_Dee On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:38:04 -0800, Lady_Dee <LadyDee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I select multiple criteria using a form to generate a report in >Access 2007. By putting multiple instances of =[Forms]![NameOfForm]![NameOfControl] or other appropriate expressions on the Criteria line of a query, and use that query as the Recordsource for the report. For a more detailed answer please post a more detailed question. -- John W. Vins...

User-Specific document-type stuff
Seems like every week I'm back with a new question. I'm beginning to think I should have just posted a detailed account of what I want and let you guys get on with it. Anyway, I think I have good cause to be stuck now. :) I have a main workbook ("Main") which the whole office can access, and it operates on being userform driven - there's no actual spreadsheet onscreen at any time. What I want to do is include a button on the userform which opens a specific worksheet, dependant on the user's name. Everyone had a single-sheet workbook with their name as the workbook ...

convert word document to excel spreadsheet
I have many word documents (looks like a resume cover letter) and wish to convert it into excel/accesss db for easy retrieval? I probably have to rename the filename of these documents into job ref no. or personal id number. I have tried importing to excel but it look abit mess up , becos it has paragraphs, indentation. I wish to have a database system that allow me to retreive Personal id and view their cover letter? karen Hi Karen, Perhaps you only want to add a link to the Word document in a cell in your worksheet? Go to an empty cell and use the key combination {ctrl}{K} to display t...

Format for text field
Hi- I have a text field, the format of this field is ##.## (ex: 09.10) How can I check this field if it have a value then it must be in a format like above? (null is OK) Thank for any replpy. >>How can I check this field if it have a value then it must be in a format like above? (null is OK) Null is not a value. Are you wanting to check for a numerical value or that the text is formated? -- Build a little, test a little. "MN" wrote: > Hi- I have a text field, the format of this field is ##.## (ex: 09.10) > How can I check this field if it have a va...

Positioning a form on the screen
I would like to be able to position a form on the screen when the Access Window is minimized. I'm using the apiShowWindow to minimize the Access Window and the form has to be set to popup. You can't use DoCmd.MoveSize whent he Access window is minimized, right? Thanks sure was hoping that an expert would be able to answer this... anyone know how to position a popup form on the screen?? -- not in the Access window. "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B776F462-402E-4238-BA9B-5999F5512F71@microsoft.com... > sure was hoping th...

Multiple views Single Document MDI
Hi Folks, I have a situation where I need 4 views in my application. All the 4 views should co exist and shall be updated independently/ simultaneously. I searched the forum and all I got was how to create multiple views for a SDI and for MDI creating multiple document templates and make them refer to a single document . I dont know whether creating multiple document templates is a good solution as I read somewhere it is not an optimal solution. Is there any simple/optimal method by which I can go on adding a view for the document? If possible please paste a link to the sample application....

DllImport property Preservesig
Hi The doc says the following text within "". Does this text mean that if an error occur and this property is set to false an exception is throw from the Windows32 API ? "This field indicates whether unmanaged methods that have HRESULT or retval return values are directly translated or automatically converted to exceptions. True: The method returns a value that contains the HRESULT. False: The method automatically converts HRESULT or retval values to exceptions. When you set the PreserveSig field to False, the resulting method signature contains a void...

Default font in dialog property pages
Have to post this again as all attempts to resolve the issue on my own were unsuccessful. The problem is, despite a property page template of a property sheet explicitly indicates that another font than the default MS Sans Serif 8 must be used (e.g. Arial 10), this never comes into effect. I checked the resource file to ensure that appropriate instructions are presented in there: > > IDD_WIZ_PAGE0 DIALOG DISCARDABLE 0, 0, 235, 156 > > STYLE WS_CHILD | WS_DISABLED | WS_CAPTION > > CAPTION "Welcome to the Operation Wizard" > > FONT 10, "Arial"...

properties error in the field in the form
I just created a form. On the fields there must be an error in the properties. I can't type in the field and I have the #name? error and the #error Error. It looks like I connected the fields to the underlying table correctly so what should I check? =Employees!Emp_ID =Employees!FirstName =[Salary] thanks, If the fields are bound to textboxes on the form, you do not need to use a reference to the underlying table or query. Emp_ID FirstName Salary should be all you need in the controlname property. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access ht...

Hide field or tab based on user or group
We need our admin users to see all tabs of the account form and have some of the tabs hidden from the general and sales users. Is there anyway in crm 1.2 to hide a tab or field from a user or group? If this is not possible in 1.2 can it be done in 3.0? I saw mention in 3.0 about filtering form views. Is that done by group membership? Thanks in advance -- Scott Afraid there is no supported way to do this in either version. There are some sultions you could do with javascript via the Onload of the form that "hides" the tabs, but that isn't a supported nor a very secur...

Access 2000 Help vs Access 97
I've finally upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2000. Lots of new features made it well worthwhile except for the Help in Access 2000. What happened to it? I've read the blurb on the MS KB but there is nothing like as much help as on 97 whether or not you try to read the Help article with a Module . I wanted to look up the sytax for using the Between (with two dates) operator in a module rather than digging out my notes. Although the title came up in the wizard (it didn't appear in the Index at all) with the title Between...And (Microsoft Jet) when I clicked on it, I was told that t...

Form coding access 2003 to 2007
Hello comm I have a code in a form (MS Accees 2003)working perfect. However, if I open the form in Access 2007 the concatenation does not work in the field CodSigCat This the code. Could you tell me what is wrong or new in Access 2007? Many thanks Option Compare Database Option Explicit Function CodSigCat() As String CodSigCat = Me!Prov & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Cant & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Dist & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Bloq & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Sect & "" CodSigCat = CodSi...