DocVariable wont work

hi all

I try to insert a DocVariable into my document but when I do that form 
Quickparts nothing happens

Please help thanks
0
ent
3/14/2010 11:51:42 PM
word.vba.general 1023 articles. 1 followers. Follow

9 Replies
5911 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 18

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
> You must use code (vba) to assign a value to the variable and you may 
> need to update the field so that the value assigned to the variable is 
> displayed.
> 

What am I doing wrong:

1: I created a macro associated to the CTRL-K keyboard sequence.

The macro is Macro11 and it reads like this:

Sub Macro11()
'
' Macro11 Macro
'
Dim varYELLOW As String
varYELLOW = "Tom"
ActiveDocument.Variables.Add Name:="docvarONE", Value:=varYELLOW
'
End Sub


2: I insert a DocVariable in my document, it reads, in the document:

<brace>DOCVARIABLE docvarONE    \* MERGEFORMAT<brace>


3: I press CTRL-K

I get RUNTIME ERROR 5903 THE VARIABLE NAME ALREADY EXISTS.

the string "Tom" never appeared in my document and if i go Print Preview 
I get: ERROR! NO DOCUMENT VARIABLE SUPPLIED where the docVariable field is.


What am I doing wrong?
0
ent
3/14/2010 11:25:44 PM
You must use code (vba) to assign a value to the variable and you may need 
to update the field so that the value assigned to the variable is displayed.

-- 
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com

<ent@ent.ent> wrote in message news:ugAl4P9wKHA.5812@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
> hi all
>
> I try to insert a DocVariable into my document but when I do that form 
> Quickparts nothing happens
>
> Please help thanks 

0
Doug
3/15/2010 12:28:57 AM
With document variables, you do not need to use .Add

Just use:

ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "varYELLOW"  (or just 
varYELLOW if varYELLOW is declared somewhere else in your code and has 
something assigned to it)

to add a variable docvarONE to the active document with the value of the 
variable being varYELLOW

To change the value of the variable, just use

ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "Something else"

-- 
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com

<ent@ent.ent> wrote in message news:ebby5i9wKHA.6140@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
>> You must use code (vba) to assign a value to the variable and you may 
>> need to update the field so that the value assigned to the variable is 
>> displayed.
>>
>
> What am I doing wrong:
>
> 1: I created a macro associated to the CTRL-K keyboard sequence.
>
> The macro is Macro11 and it reads like this:
>
> Sub Macro11()
> '
> ' Macro11 Macro
> '
> Dim varYELLOW As String
> varYELLOW = "Tom"
> ActiveDocument.Variables.Add Name:="docvarONE", Value:=varYELLOW
> '
> End Sub
>
>
> 2: I insert a DocVariable in my document, it reads, in the document:
>
> <brace>DOCVARIABLE docvarONE    \* MERGEFORMAT<brace>
>
>
> 3: I press CTRL-K
>
> I get RUNTIME ERROR 5903 THE VARIABLE NAME ALREADY EXISTS.
>
> the string "Tom" never appeared in my document and if i go Print Preview I 
> get: ERROR! NO DOCUMENT VARIABLE SUPPLIED where the docVariable field is.
>
>
> What am I doing wrong? 

0
Doug
3/15/2010 2:13:33 AM
If you're trying to save a Word 2007 doc with variables in it, you may
run into a problem that Microsoft introduced last spring in a security
update -- document variables can get corrupted when you save in .docx
format.

The easy solution is to use document properties instead of variables.
They work pretty much the same way as variables, but seem to be more
reliable. Look at ActiveDocument.CustomDocumentProperties

Gary


On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:13:33 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
<dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:

>With document variables, you do not need to use .Add
>
>Just use:
>
>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "varYELLOW"  (or just 
>varYELLOW if varYELLOW is declared somewhere else in your code and has 
>something assigned to it)
>
>to add a variable docvarONE to the active document with the value of the 
>variable being varYELLOW
>
>To change the value of the variable, just use
>
>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "Something else"
0
Gary
3/17/2010 1:20:43 AM
That problem has long since been fixed.

-- 
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>


"Gary Hillerson" <garyh@hillysun.net> wrote in message 
news:rcb0q593u1p97esmnfo3gsdlpm1vnte6c5@4ax.com...
> If you're trying to save a Word 2007 doc with variables in it, you may
> run into a problem that Microsoft introduced last spring in a security
> update -- document variables can get corrupted when you save in .docx
> format.
>
> The easy solution is to use document properties instead of variables.
> They work pretty much the same way as variables, but seem to be more
> reliable. Look at ActiveDocument.CustomDocumentProperties
>
> Gary
>
>
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:13:33 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
> <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:
>
>>With document variables, you do not need to use .Add
>>
>>Just use:
>>
>>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "varYELLOW"  (or just
>>varYELLOW if varYELLOW is declared somewhere else in your code and has
>>something assigned to it)
>>
>>to add a variable docvarONE to the active document with the value of the
>>variable being varYELLOW
>>
>>To change the value of the variable, just use
>>
>>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "Something else" 


1
Graham
3/17/2010 7:08:05 AM
When was it fixed?  Was it recently?  We are havign the same problem

Thanks.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> That problem has long since been fixed.
> 
> -- 
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
> 
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> 
> 
> "Gary Hillerson" <garyh@hillysun.net> wrote in message 
> news:rcb0q593u1p97esmnfo3gsdlpm1vnte6c5@4ax.com...
> > If you're trying to save a Word 2007 doc with variables in it, you may
> > run into a problem that Microsoft introduced last spring in a security
> > update -- document variables can get corrupted when you save in .docx
> > format.
> >
> > The easy solution is to use document properties instead of variables.
> > They work pretty much the same way as variables, but seem to be more
> > reliable. Look at ActiveDocument.CustomDocumentProperties
> >
> > Gary
> >
> >
> > On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:13:33 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
> > <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:
> >
> >>With document variables, you do not need to use .Add
> >>
> >>Just use:
> >>
> >>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "varYELLOW"  (or just
> >>varYELLOW if varYELLOW is declared somewhere else in your code and has
> >>something assigned to it)
> >>
> >>to add a variable docvarONE to the active document with the value of the
> >>variable being varYELLOW
> >>
> >>To change the value of the variable, just use
> >>
> >>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "Something else" 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
5/19/2010 1:08:03 PM
It was around August last year. I can't recall all the details, but the 
problem came with a security update - KB969604 - which I understand was 
later fixed. However uninstalling the above update and telling the update 
installer not to put it back should fix it.

-- 
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>


"smile8691" <smile8691@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B2FC45EC-3350-4FC0-827D-134C9D31561A@microsoft.com...
> When was it fixed?  Was it recently?  We are havign the same problem
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> That problem has long since been fixed.
>>
>> -- 
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>
>>
>> "Gary Hillerson" <garyh@hillysun.net> wrote in message
>> news:rcb0q593u1p97esmnfo3gsdlpm1vnte6c5@4ax.com...
>> > If you're trying to save a Word 2007 doc with variables in it, you may
>> > run into a problem that Microsoft introduced last spring in a security
>> > update -- document variables can get corrupted when you save in .docx
>> > format.
>> >
>> > The easy solution is to use document properties instead of variables.
>> > They work pretty much the same way as variables, but seem to be more
>> > reliable. Look at ActiveDocument.CustomDocumentProperties
>> >
>> > Gary
>> >
>> >
>> > On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:13:33 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
>> > <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:
>> >
>> >>With document variables, you do not need to use .Add
>> >>
>> >>Just use:
>> >>
>> >>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "varYELLOW"  (or just
>> >>varYELLOW if varYELLOW is declared somewhere else in your code and has
>> >>something assigned to it)
>> >>
>> >>to add a variable docvarONE to the active document with the value of 
>> >>the
>> >>variable being varYELLOW
>> >>
>> >>To change the value of the variable, just use
>> >>
>> >>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "Something else"
>>
>>
>> .
>> 


0
Graham
5/19/2010 2:33:34 PM
Hi Graham,

The only thing is that documents that were buggered by the problem, remain 
buggered.

-- 
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message 
news:OZ9TDB29KHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> It was around August last year. I can't recall all the details, but the 
> problem came with a security update - KB969604 - which I understand was 
> later fixed. However uninstalling the above update and telling the update 
> installer not to put it back should fix it.
>
> -- 
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>
>
> "smile8691" <smile8691@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:B2FC45EC-3350-4FC0-827D-134C9D31561A@microsoft.com...
>> When was it fixed?  Was it recently?  We are havign the same problem
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>>
>>> That problem has long since been fixed.
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>
>>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>
>>>
>>> "Gary Hillerson" <garyh@hillysun.net> wrote in message
>>> news:rcb0q593u1p97esmnfo3gsdlpm1vnte6c5@4ax.com...
>>> > If you're trying to save a Word 2007 doc with variables in it, you may
>>> > run into a problem that Microsoft introduced last spring in a security
>>> > update -- document variables can get corrupted when you save in .docx
>>> > format.
>>> >
>>> > The easy solution is to use document properties instead of variables.
>>> > They work pretty much the same way as variables, but seem to be more
>>> > reliable. Look at ActiveDocument.CustomDocumentProperties
>>> >
>>> > Gary
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:13:33 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
>>> > <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:
>>> >
>>> >>With document variables, you do not need to use .Add
>>> >>
>>> >>Just use:
>>> >>
>>> >>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "varYELLOW"  (or just
>>> >>varYELLOW if varYELLOW is declared somewhere else in your code and has
>>> >>something assigned to it)
>>> >>
>>> >>to add a variable docvarONE to the active document with the value of 
>>> >>the
>>> >>variable being varYELLOW
>>> >>
>>> >>To change the value of the variable, just use
>>> >>
>>> >>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "Something else"
>>>
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>
> 
0
Doug
5/19/2010 10:32:45 PM
That's very true. It was a nasty bug :(

-- 
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>


"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message 
news:3F56EEDD-C56D-44B0-941D-102808889087@microsoft.com...
> Hi Graham,
>
> The only thing is that documents that were buggered by the problem, remain 
> buggered.
>
> -- 
> Hope this helps.
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> services on a paid consulting basis.
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message 
> news:OZ9TDB29KHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> It was around August last year. I can't recall all the details, but the 
>> problem came with a security update - KB969604 - which I understand was 
>> later fixed. However uninstalling the above update and telling the update 
>> installer not to put it back should fix it.
>>
>> -- 
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>
>>
>> "smile8691" <smile8691@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>> news:B2FC45EC-3350-4FC0-827D-134C9D31561A@microsoft.com...
>>> When was it fixed?  Was it recently?  We are havign the same problem
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>>>
>>>> That problem has long since been fixed.
>>>>
>>>> -- 
>>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>>
>>>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>>>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Gary Hillerson" <garyh@hillysun.net> wrote in message
>>>> news:rcb0q593u1p97esmnfo3gsdlpm1vnte6c5@4ax.com...
>>>> > If you're trying to save a Word 2007 doc with variables in it, you 
>>>> > may
>>>> > run into a problem that Microsoft introduced last spring in a 
>>>> > security
>>>> > update -- document variables can get corrupted when you save in .docx
>>>> > format.
>>>> >
>>>> > The easy solution is to use document properties instead of variables.
>>>> > They work pretty much the same way as variables, but seem to be more
>>>> > reliable. Look at ActiveDocument.CustomDocumentProperties
>>>> >
>>>> > Gary
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> > On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:13:33 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
>>>> > <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:
>>>> >
>>>> >>With document variables, you do not need to use .Add
>>>> >>
>>>> >>Just use:
>>>> >>
>>>> >>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "varYELLOW"  (or just
>>>> >>varYELLOW if varYELLOW is declared somewhere else in your code and 
>>>> >>has
>>>> >>something assigned to it)
>>>> >>
>>>> >>to add a variable docvarONE to the active document with the value of 
>>>> >>the
>>>> >>variable being varYELLOW
>>>> >>
>>>> >>To change the value of the variable, just use
>>>> >>
>>>> >>ActiveDocument.Variables("docvarONE").Value = "Something else"
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> .
>>>>
>>
>> 


0
Graham
5/20/2010 5:07:57 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Work with CAS LP-1000
I have a CAS LP-1000 label printer scale, every time i weight a item, it will print a barcode based on the weight. In order for my RMS to be able to scan the barcodes, i have to either get the data base out from the scale and then put into my RMS, or find another way out. Does anyone know how to get the RMS to work with that barcode??? Please check back in the newsgroup. This has been discussed just a few days ago. There is a knowledgebase article that addresses this - I posted the link in the previous thread. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com "...

SUMPRODUCT is not working
Hi all, This formula sometimes works and sometimes shows #VALUE! error. Please anyone advice. Thanks. Look in your ranges for "#VALUE!" if there is one of this in the range you are applying SUMPRODUCT to, you will get this #VALUE! error. It has happen to me many times. "Gladiator" wrote: > Hi all, > This formula sometimes works and sometimes shows #VALUE! error. Please > anyone advice. Thanks. here is the formula: =SUMPRODUCT((('BAC - ABC'!B$5:B$711)=Comparison!B13)*(('BAC - ABC'!C$5:C$711)=Comparison!C13)*'BAC - ABC...

Contact links not working
I'm using Outlook 2003. When I enter a contact I often 'link' them to another contact so that I can quickly find related contacts (it's the Contacts... field at the bottom of the page adjacent to the Catergories field). When I now try to navigate to one of the contact links by dbl clicking it, I get the following error: Cannot perform the requested operation.The command selected is not valid for the recipient. The contacts do exist and this used to work! Any help appreciated. John If they used to work, the most likely explanation is that something = happened between then...

Auto Fill function in Excel 2007 not working properly
I cannot get the Auto Fill function to increase values in a series, and I feel certain I'm doing it right: First, I tried typing a series of values in a column like this: Cell A1, I typed 1. Cell B1, I typed 2. Then, I selected both cells with the mouse, and then moved to the lower right corner of Cell B1 and left-clicked and held the mouse button down. Then I dragged the mouse button down several columns. The little pop-up message seemed to indicate that it was repeating 1, 2, 1, 2. When I released the mouse button, it had actually filled a 1 in each cell! After several ...

Retrieving Value From Subform Only Works In Break Mode 10-17-07
The code: ------------------------------------------------------------- 2550 With Me.subSecurity.Form 2551 If Me.subTrades.Enabled = True Then 2552 Me.subTrades.Form!txtParTotal.Requery 2553 curParTotal = Me.subTrades.Form!txtParTotal.Value 'MsgBox curParTotal 2554 !txtParTotal.Value = curParTotal 2555 !txtParTotal.Requery 2556 End If 2559 End With ------------------------------------------------------------- If I put a break on line 2552 or any line above it, the value gets retrieved and everything works a-ok. But with a break on line 2553 or no ...

Worksheet_Change Not Working
This code is not executing when I put a 1 or 2 in Cell A1. Isn't it suppose to? What have I done wrong? Thanks, Bernie Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then Select Case Target.Value Case Is = 1: MsgBox "A1 changed to 1" Case Is = 2: MsgBox "A1 changed to 2" End Select End If End Sub Hi have you put this code in your worksheet module? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany bw wrote: > This code is not executing when I put a 1 or 2 in Cell A1. Isn&#...

outlook 2007 XP rules not working
The system is XP Professional I am using Office and Outlook 2007. I have many rules that shift emails from my inbox to various folders. Mostly they used to work. Now mostly they don't - i.e. the emails sit in my inbox. I could delete all my rules and start again, but that is a large amount of work. Is there a way of getting them to work again? Also, is there some way of sorting the rules by title; moving them up and down is not at all time-efficient. Being able to sort them by title would enable me to see at a glance which related to which folder. susanb wrote: > T...

new ...delete not working
Hi, Check out the following code char* t=new char[1000]; t="sdfsdf"; delete t; at delete t; statement , MSVC 6.0 generates Abort: Unhandled exception Why? Help ! sandSpiderX : Hi, : : Check out the following code : char* t=new char[1000]; On the line above, you point t to a newly allocated buffer : t="sdfsdf"; Now, you point t away from the buffer, to a block of memory somewhere else : delete t; and then try to delete it. : : at delete t; : statement , MSVC 6.0 generates Abort: Unhandled exception : : Why? If you want to write into the block of memory, ...

Message Tracking Not Working Properly
I have a single server (happens to be the server that sends all mail to the Internet) that has stopped showing message tracking information. The logs are there and accumulating, but when the server is shown has the "next hop", and I click on that server to show the info, it is completely BLANK. No info at all in the details window. Any clues? Take properties on the server object in ESM. What path is shown for the message tracking logs? I have seen problems with WMI that cause message tracking to stop working. Have you installed any software on this server recently? /Simon <d...

Help Rules don't work anymore
Hi: Is it just me? Why is it that on some days, my Outlook rules work, and on other days, they don't? On days when the rules don't work, if I run the rule(s) manually, it(they) works, but still don't work automatically? I'm really missing something! Outlook 2003 or XP Pro SP2 Thanks for any advice. -- Dab Cut off: yourhead to respond Try two things. 1) make sure your office product is up to date and 2) try a clean boot in Windows XP by disableing every thing during startup by using msconfig. If this works you may have a conflict with something that is loading ...

IF Field expression not working
I'm trying to use an IF statement to add text to a 2003 Word doc based on the numerical value of a form field (whose bookmark name is TimeAndExpense). It's not working. Here's the field code: { IF { FORMTEXT TimeAndExpense } >0 "Display This Text" " " } Am I trying something that's not possible? If the form field with bookmark name TimeAndExpense is blank, the text string is nonetheless displayed. Thanks... IF fields in forms require REF fields to reference form field bookmarks. So you need this: { IF { REF TimeAndExpense } &...

Outlook 2003 email rules not working properly
I've upgraded from Office XP to 2003. I've kept all my mails using the XP pst file and all is well. I have a whole list of email rules that move incoming mail to specific folders depending on email account and contents of subject etc. These rules worked flawlessly in Outlook XP, but now they only work when I first start Outlook and it checks mail. If there is no mail waiting when I open outlook, then the rules seem to work the next time I check my mail and I receive something. But after that, any subsequent mail checks, either automatic or manual, sends all new mail to the inbox. If...

IE 8 internet works and mail does not.
Recently upgraded laptop to IE8, lost ability to receive and send email in Windows Mail. Accesses internet (wireless and hard wired) okay, can access email - send and receive - on Comcast home page, but not using Windows. POP3 and smtp settings are correct. Home desktop works fine, too. Any ideas? Do you get an error message when you try to send or receive? If so, right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message. Also try sending a message to yourself. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MV...

format cells for date not working...please help
I have imported a text document, everything worked. I have dates i cells in a format like 23-5-2004. I need to change them to 5/23/2004. go to format the cells to this date format and nothing happens. I hav tried to format a single cell this way, and nothing. I have als unchecked the protection box. It will kill me to do 5000 dates one b one. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm guessing the 23-5-2004 is Text, not a real date. Try selecting the dates and Data>Text to Columns>Next>Next "column data format"...

2007 Structured Reference auto-completion not working completely?
In Excel 2007, when I: 1) Select a cell 2) Type "=" in the formula bar 3) Click a cell in a Table I thought Excel would add a Structured Reference to the formula. Instead, it just inserts an old-style, "A1" reference. The "Formula AutoComplete" and "Use table names in formulas" options are both turned on. When I click the cell in step 3, the TableTools tab appears so Excel agrees that the cell is in a Table. Isn't Excel supposed to insert a Structured Reference when you click a cell in a Table? Is there another setup/configuration switc...

Formulas don't work in certain cells #3
One formula is: =SUM(C10:C15) another: =SUM(O16/6363) another: =SUM(C19:C36) these same formulas work in the cells right next to these wit different cell references. However, no matter which cell I put th above formulas in, the result is the same - either blank with a dash i the cell or zero. I checked all the cells that the formulas refer t and none has any errors. -Jorda -- kalik24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kalik247's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View...

Calculate cost of project against time worked
Hi everyone Have had a good look through various discussion groups for this and can't seem to find what I am looking for, I hope someone can help. I have a access 2000 database which captures projects coming into the department, each project is then resourced to a team member. When they have finished their part they put in how long it has taken them, from 1 hour (up to max of 3hours) then it goes up in 1/2 day increments to 15 days. At the moment I just have a drop downlist allowing them to pick, for example, 1/2 day, 1 day, 1.5 days etc, but now we have a set daily and hourly rate for...

Mailbox Manager not working
Hi All, I'm running Ex2003 SP1 Enterprise on a Win 2003 SP1 Enterprise platform and have a problem with the mailbox manager. When it tried to run I get an error in the event viewer: Source: MSExchangeSA Event ID 9209 stating: "Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Manager was interrupted before processing was complete - error no = Access is denied..%2" All I've tried is a reboot and a cluster failover, neither worked. This is a pretty new cluster and I don't have too many people on it. As a result I'm not sure it's ever worked. Any ideas out there on potent...

how come my outlook wont work?
it appears as though my outlook is working beautifully, it does everything but sends emails. heck i dont even know my email addy for out look. HELP Have you asked your ISP for both your issues? --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "val" <val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:4AAA113F-F025-435E-A091-AEB083ED2E68@microsoft.com... > it appears as though my outlook is working beautifully, it does = everything=20 > but sends emails. heck i dont even know my e...

microsoft works
why was microsoft works replaced with excel? what are the advantages of using excel rather than works? Hi MS Works wasn't replace by MS Excel. AFAIK MS Works is still available: Excel has more features/functionality than MS Works. MS Works is targeted for small applications -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany harami wrote: > why was microsoft works replaced with excel? what are the > advantages of using excel rather than works? ...

Work Order Add-in
Looking for a service order module for the following: We would use it to create a new work order for when a customer brings in a computer to work on. The work order module would allow us to type in notes as to what is wrong with the computer. It would also allow us to input information about the computer, i.e. make of computer, desktop or notebook, speed of computer, operating system installed. Also, should be an area to input any items that were dropped off. Should be able to generate a receipt for the computer that would be used when picking up the computer. For work flow, should...

App works in Visual Studio, but not when deployed
Hi all, I have been trying to figure this out for about 4 hours and it's driving me nuts. I have a .net script that parses through an xml file and creates several controls on a page. Everything works fine in Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition - however, when I deploy my site, I get an xml parsing error (specifically, a 'EndElement' is not an XmlNodeType' error). I find this odd because the xml files that I use in Web Developer Express and on the deployed site are identical. The code-behind files and the aspx files are identical. I can even paste the XML file from t...

Access 2003 Stops Working
When I try to Compact and Repair my 2003 db, running under Vista Home Premium, Access stops working nearly every time. Could this be a compatibility issue? James Access pops up a message box saying it has stopped working. It then states it's finding a solution online. "mscertified" <rupert@tigerlily.com> wrote in message news:A4A28EB5-048F-4131-B51E-E67B2ACCFB1F@microsoft.com... > what do you mean by 'stops working'? > > "JamesJ" wrote: > >> When I try to Compact and Repair my 2003 db, >> running under Vista Home Premium, Acces...

PgUp & PgDn Not Working
Repost - No previous answers and could really use some ideas. A2002 Have frmMain that opens frmFormat and as dialog and filters to a single record. frmFormat opens frmColumns as dialog, and filters to all matching records. Problem: PgUp and PgDn do not work on frmColumns. Can use record navigator at bottom to move through records, but PgUp and PgDn don't do anything. If frmColumns is not opened as dialog, PgUp and PgDn work fine. Any ideas? Thanks, Bruce ...

Word as email editor not working
I have a new computer, Windows XP operating system and Microsoft Office 2003 Home edition came installed on the PC. I configured Outlook to use MS Word as the email editor, but it doesn't work. When I launch an email form to compose a message I get an error message that MS Word can not be found. Please advise. ...