Database Query

Hi Community,

I was hoping to seek some guidance or pointers regarding the
extracting/querying of db information into Word Documents.

In a nutshell I create many form templates for our end users (Social
Workers) which they complete on behalf of or regarding our customers.  These
customers will most likely have been added in our customer database (an
Oracle db) and I was hoping that I would be able to reduce the amount of
information end users have to enter into a new form by getting the users to
type in the Oracle Customer ID and the document to retrieve what information
it can automatically from the db.

I am using Word 2003 and any pointers, guidance, links to KB articles would
be very much appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Take a look at
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3358411/Connecting-with-Oracle-Accessing-Oracle-via-Access-and-Excel.htm

Once you get the data in Access or Excel, you could use the information on
the following page of Greg Maxey's website to load it into a combobox

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Populate_UserForm_ListBox.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"spunkymuffmonkey" <spunkymuffmonkey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F62D2DF1-498E-4C58-A6E3-78153EFA18BA@microsoft.com...
> Hi Community,
>
> I was hoping to seek some guidance or pointers regarding the
> extracting/querying of db information into Word Documents.
>
> In a nutshell I create many form templates for our end users (Social
> Workers) which they complete on behalf of or regarding our customers.
> These
> customers will most likely have been added in our customer database (an
> Oracle db) and I was hoping that I would be able to reduce the amount of
> information end users have to enter into a new form by getting the users
> type in the Oracle Customer ID and the document to retrieve what
> information
> it can automatically from the db.
>
> I am using Word 2003 and any pointers, guidance, links to KB articles
> would
> be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanking you in anticipation.

0
Doug
6/2/2010 10:55:17 PM
Many thanks.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Take a look at
> http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3358411/Connecting-with-Oracle-Accessing-Oracle-via-Access-and-Excel.htm
>
> Once you get the data in Access or Excel, you could use the information on
> the following page of Greg Maxey's website to load it into a combobox
>
> http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Populate_UserForm_ListBox.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "spunkymuffmonkey" <spunkymuffmonkey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:F62D2DF1-498E-4C58-A6E3-78153EFA18BA@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Community,
> >
> > I was hoping to seek some guidance or pointers regarding the
> > extracting/querying of db information into Word Documents.
> >
> > In a nutshell I create many form templates for our end users (Social
> > Workers) which they complete on behalf of or regarding our customers.
> > These
> > customers will most likely have been added in our customer database (an
> > Oracle db) and I was hoping that I would be able to reduce the amount of
> > information end users have to enter into a new form by getting the users
> > type in the Oracle Customer ID and the document to retrieve what
> > information
> > it can automatically from the db.
> >
> > I am using Word 2003 and any pointers, guidance, links to KB articles
> > would
> > be very much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanking you in anticipation.

DLookup on a query??
Hello, Just wondering if it's possible to use the DLookup function on a query instead of a table? Alan Don't worry about it. I got it to work. Thanks anyway. Alan "Alan" wrote: > Hello, > > Just wondering if it's possible to use the DLookup function on a query > instead of a table? > > Alan ...

Import from web query problem
When importing from a web query the cell value <10E 6/L or <10^ 6/L does not import ie target cell is blank. Same happens whether the middle space is left in or out. Cells such as <100 import OK. Any suggestions as to what is happening here would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

HELP with queries!!!
Hi all, I am a new user to Access and need some help with setting up a query. I am building the framework to an inventory database. Currently I have one table that has the following information: serial # Status (checked in or checked out) equipment type (pc, network printer, standalone printer, scanner, and monitor) EE# (equipment number) model manufacturer work order# department (where the equipment is going) equipment location (the room number) relocation date comments I understand how to run the query, but I am trying to include drop down menu's in the query ins...

Updating a SQL database using Excel 2007
Hello, I have created a pivot table in Excel using the data from a SQL 2005 database. Is it possible to make changes to the data and save it back to the SQL database? Thanks David I know you can do this in Access depending on your connection settings. I would be curious to find out if it can be done in Excel also. Is there a resource where I can find more info on creating a pivot table in Excel using SQL data? The excel help doesn't tell me what I want to know. If there is an existing pivot table how can I tell the data source? I know it is external data and suspect it is ...

Web Query Not Working
Up until yesterday, my web query in my Excel worksheet has been working perfectly. I have been using the saved query named "Microsoft Investor Stock Quotes.iqy". It looks like the server accessed by the URL has been down. When I ping the domain, I get the message that the ping timed out. The link used by the query is http://investor.msn.com/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=AA,fdx... Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Does anyone know how to contact MSN to jog them to get things up and running? Or, have they stopped supporting the query? Gary Mine went d...

Using a cell to determine a value in a database query.
Hi folks, I've run into a problem recently - maybe there's no good answer, then again perhaps you can help me come to one. I have a spreadsheet on which There are three entry fields: start date end date store number I've managed to map start date to [startdate] in a query and end date to [enddate] - that seems to work fine. The problem I'm running into now has to do with the store number field. In the database, store number is a 4 character field, as of now the numbers of the store are like 01,02,03,04..HQ,RO. When I try to map store number to [storenum] in the query, I ...

Convert datatype using query
I have create a query which combines two tables; ASSETS and UNITINFO. The UNITINFO table is linked from another database and the ASSETS table has a field that looks up a field called UNIT # from the UNITINFO table. Both fields are called UNIT # but the datatype on the UNITINFO table is set to Text and the UNIT # field on the ASSETS table is set to Number since it is a lookup field. I cannot change the datatype on the UNITINFO table to Number as the field contains both numbers and text. So when I ran my query that I created to pull data from both tables it gave me an error bec...

assigning a unique query for each textbox on a form
I've got a table (tblMain) with the following (relevant) fields: tblMain .FirstName .LastName .Seat .RefNum I've got a form that has a graphical display of the seats to which the people listed in tblMain are assigned. I'd like to put a text box on each seat corresponding to first and last name of the person assigned to that seat (stored in tblMain.Seat). The same database is used for various seatings so I'd like only those associated with the RefNum at hand to be called. I can write a simple enough query which I can call from VBA and which relies on a...

Query Based DL [WILDPACKET]
I want to configure a QBDL so it sends message to all the Active Accounts in our Domain, is this possible? I guess when a message is sent to QBDL it also sends messages to the Disabled Accounts too, right? I aonly want the QBDL to send messages to Enabled Users. Please advise. Thank you On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 08:44:04 -0800, "WILDPACKET" <WILDPACKET@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to configure a QBDL so it sends message to all the Active Accounts in >our Domain, is this possible? > >I guess when a message is sent to QBDL it also sends messages to the ...

Queries
I have the following query (for example): countofstates color 3 red 8 blue 7 orange 2 purple 9 yellow I would like to display this table on a report, but when I do it repeats 6 times. How do I only get this information to appear once? Thanks in advance. Try a Totals query... Color States GroupBy Count -- hth Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.ne...

Database Repair Help
I created an Access database in Access 2000 and share it on a WNT4.0 server. Several intermittent times a day the database requires rebuilding when you attempt to open it on one of several workstations. Some of the workstations have Access 2000 and some have Access 2003. No more than 7 users are on the database simultaneously and usually lesss than 4. If you have the file open on your computer prior to the need repair dialog box popping up on one of the other workstations you can still use the database and your data will be saved but no new users can open the file until it is closed on ...

Access Databases, MFC and VS2005
Okay. I'm going to try and ask this as succinctly as possible. When using an Access database in my apps, I've had to derive a recordset for each table. Before you laugh, consider that there are all of 3 tables in each, and each of those has less than 20 columns. My preferred way of using this techniques is to use the wizard to create a class derived from CRecordset and indicate the desired table in the dialogs. It works well but it's a lot of code, particularly if I want to do anything relational between tables. I have read and re re re read the MS docs, but I cannot seem to ...

MFC based client server application query?
Hi experts I have developed an client server application using MFC sockets support. The server is a dialog based application & the client is an SDI application. I am having problem with sending data from client to server. After starting the server application, i start the client and try to connect & send data to server using the following code. void CMainFrame::OnConnect() { CSimpleSDIsockclientApp *pApp = (CSimpleSDIsockclientApp*)AfxGetApp(); int res = pApp->ClientSocket.Create(40000); if(res) { MessageBox("Client Socket at port no. 40000 Successf...

Use Form Modules from exterior database
I have a database MyDb that have a reference with MyLibrary.mda. MyDb contains a form MyForm MyLibrary.mda contains a form MyDialogForm that have a form module form_MyDialogForm If I compile the following code in MyForm: Private WithEvents dlg As MyLibrary.form_MyDialogForm I receive an error:< User-defined type not defined> How can I do to use form_MyDialogForm from an exterior database? Thank you ...

Where are the Forms and Queries in 2007
In Access 2003 if you wanted to open your existing Forms and Queries you clicked on the Forms button. In Access 2007 this option seems to be missing. My question is how do I access the Forms,Tables and queries. The only forms button I have found creates new forms, I want to access my existing forms. Many thanks for any advice. This is one of those times when a picture paints a thousand words, so here's a picture ... http://brenreyn.brinkster.net/navpane.jpg -- Brendan Reynolds "Ernmander" <Ernmander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CDA479B-BFA6...

Query Builder (SQL View)
I am trying to join 2 tables. I want to join if 'Field B' is in 'Field A'. ie. Field A = 'ABCDE' Field B= 'BC' ....the join would be successful cause 'BC' is in 'ABCDE'. Is this possible? I tried... SELECT FROM table1 INNER JOIN table2 ON table1.name like (% table2. partial_name %); Keep getting errors. Any help greatly appreciated! Warren Depending on the "flavor" of SQL you are using SELECT * FROM table1 INNER JOIN table2 ON table1.name like '%' & table2.partial_name & '%' Or SELECT * FROM table1 IN...

database model diagram
Is it possible to see wich fields are used in a relationship. I don't want to select a relationship but I want to see it directly. Thanx, Joep Admiraal Probably best to show the names of the relationship, having named them sensibly first... "admiraal" <joep@mercash.nl> wrote in message news:4083c638$0$121$3a628fcd@reader3.nntp.hccnet.nl... > Is it possible to see wich fields are used in a relationship. > I don't want to select a relationship but I want to see it directly. > > Thanx, > Joep Admiraal > > ...

Database #2
Please, I exclude a lot of message storage in my Exchange Private Database, near 4 GB. I made an online and offline desfragmenter procidure, but my priv.edb file stay with the same size, only priv.stm decrese a few MB. Please, what I can do to compact my Exchange Privat Database. Tanks, Luis http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Defragmenting-Exchange-Database.html But really, 4 GB is nothing for an exchange database. "Luis Buratto" <LuisBuratto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF36663B-9470-4202-8274-264479704B71@microsoft.com... > Please, >...

Setup was unable to grant access to the Microsoft CRM databases 10-07-04
I keep getting this message when installing MS CRM 1.2. Anyone else had this issue? ------=_NextPart_0001_31256612 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Brian, This error can mean a few different things. Below are a couple of KB articles that discuss the error message: https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;861915 https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870105 Thank you, Tami J. Lemar Microsoft Business Solutions Support This posting is provided �AS IS� with no warranties, and confers no rights. ------...

Access Deleting a Query SQL
Hi all, I am working with a multiple parameter search query. The form I am using to conduct the search displays the results in a subform. I have gone through and really combed through the SQL to make sure there are no blatant spelling errors or incorrect references within the code. Anyways when I open the form that it is attached to, I keep getting the boxes described in this website http://allenbrowne.com/bug-13.html .. The form is open, and I even changed names of fields in the table in case SQL was choosing to be picky about what I named my fields. Is there anything else that would cau...

Impact of changing database column width?
Hi, We are a software product company and are planning to begin using the Contract Administration module. To do so, we will be switching our inventory items from Track: None to Track: Serial Numbers and we will be storing our software license keys in the Serial Number field which is column SERLTNUM in table SOP10201. Unfortunately, SERLTNUM is CHAR(21) and our license keys are a few characters wider than 21. We can get the keys down to 21 characters by removing three embedded hyphens, but there are several databases outside of GP where the license keys must still exist with...

Convert to 97 Access Database
Hi Everyone, Have a quick question, I'm using MS Access 2007, not fully up to speed with it yet. In Access 2003 - you had an option to convert a database to a 97 Access DB >>Tools >>>>Convert Database >>>>>>Convert to 97 Access Database But I am unable to find this option in Access 2007? Any help, much appreciated Thanks Paul The option wasn't included in Access 2007. Remember that Access 97 is ten years older than Access 2007: is it realistic to expect a product to work with a 10 years old of the same product? -- Doug Steele, Microsoft ...

Help required in Update query
Hi, pls help me here table t1 has 3 fields, and data is as below name , grade , marks n1 a 10 n2 b 20 n3 c 30 n4 a 30 n5 c 10 n6 n7 40 now i want an update query where 2 names should be swapped. like n1 is updated as n2, and n2 updated as n1. i tried to put update query, but problem is if n1= n2 then we have 2 n2's in the table then again n2=n1 tried then we have 2 n1's , i want both names should be interchanged, any help STEP 1: BACKUP you...

If statement to export query if record count is not null
Greetings, thank you very much to all who are reading this. Basically I have an automated email that goes out every Monday. Very simply it uses sendobject to email a query. I would like to add some logic that basically looks at the record count and if it isn't null...sends teh email as is...if the record count is empty I would like to have it send an email that basically says "The record set this week is empty." Below is the module converted from the original macro. I was having trouble modifying the module so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in ...

Nothing shows up in Database objects in Database Wizard
Hello, I am having touble with Visio 2003 once again. Though the db wizard, I created an excel spreadsheet (table) for data and am tryinig to link the chart back to this original database so that when I change something in the database it will change correspondingly. I am going back through the DB wizard, and can only get as far as selecting a database object to connect to. I have selected the original dada source, checked table, but nothing showes up under the database objects. Am I or my computer missing something? Please help! Thank You. Have you defined a name for the region ...