I have a macro which can read the last cell/column of all tables in a
Word 2003/2007 document and store the data in an MS-Access table. But,
some Word documents have the data in structures like a table format
but are not actually tables. The structure looks like a table, but the
table borders are actually line connectors. These documents were
created by a software(VeryPDF PDF to Word converter) which converted
the PDF documents(the original format these documents were) into Word
documents.

1. Is there a way I can convert/replace the tabular structures with
actual tables in Word so that I can use the macro?

2. Or, is there a way I can read the value of the last column from the
tabular structures using some VBA code?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Select the tabular structure and click Table > Convert > Text to Table (or
in Word 2007, Insert > Table > Convert Text to Table).

Before you can get this to work properly, you may have to do some cleanup to
remove some of the line-drawing characters, especially those that make the
corners and the horizontal lines. Instead of removing the vertical lines
between the columns, use those as the "separator characters" in the
conversion dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

s wrote:
> I have a macro which can read the last cell/column of all tables in a
> Word 2003/2007 document and store the data in an MS-Access table. But,
> some Word documents have the data in structures like a table format
> but are not actually tables. The structure looks like a table, but the
> table borders are actually line connectors. These documents were
> created by a software(VeryPDF PDF to Word converter) which converted
> the PDF documents(the original format these documents were) into Word
> documents.
>
> 1. Is there a way I can convert/replace the tabular structures with
> actual tables in Word so that I can use the macro?
>
> 2. Or, is there a way I can read the value of the last column from the
> tabular structures using some VBA code?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

0
Jay
6/2/2010 8:26:39 PM
On Jun 2, 4:26=A0pm, "Jay Freedman" <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Select the tabular structure and click Table > Convert > Text to Table (o=
> in Word 2007, Insert > Table > Convert Text to Table).
>
> Before you can get this to work properly, you may have to do some cleanup=
> remove some of the line-drawing characters, especially those that make th=
> corners and the horizontal lines. Instead of removing the vertical lines
> between the columns, use those as the "separator characters" in the
> conversion dialog.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

Thanks for the suggestion.

How do I use the vertical lines between the columns as "separator
characters"? In Word 2007, I choose Insert -> Table -> Convert Text to
Table, in that at Separate Text as option, I can enter some
information for Other, but what do I enter for the vertical lines
which are actually line connectors? Do I enter their ASCII code
value(i don't know how to find their ASCII code value) or something
else?

Can you please clarify?

Thanks
You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
Other space

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"s" <s@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 2, 4:26 pm, "Jay Freedman" <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Select the tabular structure and click Table > Convert > Text to Table
>> (or
>> in Word 2007, Insert > Table > Convert Text to Table).
>>
>> Before you can get this to work properly, you may have to do some cleanup
>> remove some of the line-drawing characters, especially those that make
>> the
>> corners and the horizontal lines. Instead of removing the vertical lines
>> between the columns, use those as the "separator characters" in the
>> conversion dialog.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> How do I use the vertical lines between the columns as "separator
> characters"? In Word 2007, I choose Insert -> Table -> Convert Text to
> Table, in that at Separate Text as option, I can enter some
> information for Other, but what do I enter for the vertical lines
> which are actually line connectors? Do I enter their ASCII code
> value(i don't know how to find their ASCII code value) or something
> else?
>
> Can you please clarify?
>
> Thanks

0
Doug
6/2/2010 10:57:47 PM
Hint: With the cursor in the Other box, press Ctrl+V to paste the
clipboard content. (Lots of people think they have to use a toolbar
button or a menu entry to paste, and those aren't available in a
dialog. The keyboard shortcut works almost everywhere.)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:57:47 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
<dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:

>You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
>Other space
>
>--
>Hope this helps.
>
>Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>services on a paid consulting basis.

>"s" <s@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>> On Jun 2, 4:26 pm, "Jay Freedman" <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> Select the tabular structure and click Table > Convert > Text to Table
>>> (or
>>> in Word 2007, Insert > Table > Convert Text to Table).
>>>
>>> Before you can get this to work properly, you may have to do some cleanup
>>> remove some of the line-drawing characters, especially those that make
>>> the
>>> corners and the horizontal lines. Instead of removing the vertical lines
>>> between the columns, use those as the "separator characters" in the
>>> conversion dialog.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Jay Freedman
>>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> How do I use the vertical lines between the columns as "separator
>> characters"? In Word 2007, I choose Insert -> Table -> Convert Text to
>> Table, in that at Separate Text as option, I can enter some
>> information for Other, but what do I enter for the vertical lines
>> which are actually line connectors? Do I enter their ASCII code
>> value(i don't know how to find their ASCII code value) or something
>> else?
>>
>> Can you please clarify?
>>
>> Thanks
0
Jay
6/3/2010 1:04:21 AM
On Jun 2, 6:57=A0pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org>
wrote:
> You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
> Other space
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

Tried that, before I posted a response to Jay's message. It did not
work. Do you know how they
are actually represented in MS-Word. For example, I know paragraph
breaks are represented by "^p"

Or, is it possible to use some VBA code to convert the line connectors
into a table or atleast extract data
inside them?

Thanks

On Jun 2, 9:04=A0pm, Jay Freedman <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hint: With the cursor in the Other box, press Ctrl+V to paste the
> clipboard content. (Lots of people think they have to use a toolbar
> button or a menu entry to paste, and those aren't available in a
> dialog. The keyboard shortcut works almost everywhere.)

Did that, did not work. Nothing appeared in the Other box.
I clicked OK, hoping it might work, but it did not.

The Ctl+V shortcut works almost everywhere in Windows, but at the
place where you are pasting, it should be taking that kind of input
which
in this case(the area in the Other box), i guess, is not. Either
that,
or I am doing something wrong.

Did it work for you? I am using Word 2007.

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:57:47 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
>
> <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:
> >You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
> >Other space
>
> >--
> >Hope this helps.
>
> >Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> >services on a paid consulting basis.

> >"s" <s...@mailinator.com> wrote in message
..

> >> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> >> How do I use the vertical lines between the columns as "separator
> >> characters"? In Word 2007, I choose Insert -> Table -> Convert Text to
> >> Table, in that at Separate Text as option, I can enter some
> >> information for Other, but what do I enter for the vertical lines
> >> which are actually line connectors? Do I enter their ASCII code
> >> value(i don't know how to find their ASCII code value) or something
> >> else?
>
> >> Can you please clarify?
>
> >> Thanks

Send a copy of the document to dkr[atsymbo]mvps[dot]org and I will take a
look as see exactly what it is and how to handle it.

--

> On Jun 2, 6:57 pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org>
> wrote:
>> You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
>> Other space
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.

> Tried that, before I posted a response to Jay's message. It did not
> work. Do you know how they
> are actually represented in MS-Word. For example, I know paragraph
> breaks are represented by "^p"
>
> Or, is it possible to use some VBA code to convert the line connectors
> into a table or atleast extract data
> inside them?
>
> Thanks
>>
>> "s" <s...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

>> > Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> > How do I use the vertical lines between the columns as "separator
>> > characters"? In Word 2007, I choose Insert -> Table -> Convert Text to
>> > Table, in that at Separate Text as option, I can enter some
>> > information for Other, but what do I enter for the vertical lines
>> > which are actually line connectors? Do I enter their ASCII code
>> > value(i don't know how to find their ASCII code value) or something
>> > else?
>>
>> > Can you please clarify?
>>
>> > Thanks

0
Doug
6/3/2010 1:23:32 AM
Send a copy of your document to dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org and I will take a
look at it.

--

> On Jun 2, 9:04 pm, Jay Freedman <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Hint: With the cursor in the Other box, press Ctrl+V to paste the
>> clipboard content. (Lots of people think they have to use a toolbar
>> button or a menu entry to paste, and those aren't available in a
>> dialog. The keyboard shortcut works almost everywhere.)
>
> Did that, did not work. Nothing appeared in the Other box.
> I clicked OK, hoping it might work, but it did not.
>
> The Ctl+V shortcut works almost everywhere in Windows, but at the
> place where you are pasting, it should be taking that kind of input
> which
> in this case(the area in the Other box), i guess, is not. Either
> that,
> or I am doing something wrong.
>
> Did it work for you? I am using Word 2007.
>
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:57:47 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
>>
>> <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:
>> >You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
>> >Other space
>>
>> >--
>> >Hope this helps.
>>
>> >Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> >services on a paid consulting basis.

>> >"s" <s...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

0
Doug
6/3/2010 1:25:19 AM
On Jun 2, 9:25=A0pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org>
wrote:
> Send a copy of your document to dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org and I will take=
> look at it.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

Sent that document to you.

1. Is there a software which is recommended for converting PDF
documents having tables into a
Word(2003/2007) format which preserves the table format and converts
to actual Word tables instead of tabular structures?

I attempted Very2PDF PDF to Word converter, but that converted the
tables to tabular structures with vertical/horizontal
connectors.

I tried using NitroPDF, but that too did not work. It created the RTF
document, but the tables were laid
out with textboxes or as vertically merged cells .

I used Acrobat 9 Professional, but that also could not convert the
table structure when I exported it
as a Word document. Some part came out as a picture in Word, some came
in tabular structures.

2. Is there a way to read from textboxes/tabular structures with
vertical/horizontal
connectors using VBA or some other method? If so, the files converted
through NitroPDF
would work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

removing replicated table information from MS Office Access 2003
I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. If I import the file without any replicated information (ie. s_ColLineage, etc) how would this affect the database? Is it safe to do this? Would I be better off just making the tables not replicable? Thanks On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 03:33:07 -0800, DukeJon <DukeJon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Assuming your Access database does not need replicating, yes, it is safe to omit those fields during import. -Tom. >I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. >If I import the f...

Using part of a cell in a chart title

data input in text box

MS Money 95 data files

Inserting form values into a table

Using expression builder object
Hi, I'm developing a wizzard in Access which builds import templates for various data sources to a fixed set of tables. In step 3 the users must be able to build an expression ; for instance Left([Fieldx],20) . Now I would like to have a command button on my form which calls the Access expression builder to allow the users to use this to build the expression. This expression will then be stored in a text box linked to the templates table. Anybody know how to call and use this object from VBA code? -- Kind regards Noëlla DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdInvokeBuilder I th...

Filter recordset using query results
Hi all I have a form based on a query called [qry Quarterly Planning], it lists all Itineraries on the system. On this form you can filter records by specifying a Start and End Date for the [ReviewDate] and/or [Specialist]. It is a subform on a main unbound form, lets call this Subform1. Along side this I have another subform (Subform2) which displays ReviewDates that exist against an Itinerary. In other words Subform1 has a start date of an activity and if the activity lasts longer than 1 day, then the additional dates are stored in Subform2 (ItineraryDates). Currently when I...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Grammar check not working

Adding Industry Codes
I am picking up the pieces on a previous installation of CRM, and want to add additional industries to my industry dropdown in the Lead form. For the life of me, I can't find the proper table in the database. Can someone be good enough to point me in the right direction? Thanks, Chris Chris, You don't do this via a table, you need to do it via form customization. You will need system admin rights, then go into System Customization and modify the Lead form. After making the changes, you will need to publish the change via Deployment Manager and issue an IISRESET. Matt "Chris...

Sorting Data #5

Newbie Question: Using Web Services
Hello All. I've been trying to implement Infopath with CRM with no success. I've tried the example, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crminfopathcrmintegration.asp, to no avail. I have followed the example to the letter, but find the information about publishing the Web Service to the server to be somewhat lacking. Admittedly, I am not a programmer, and I am continually running into an error in line 54: xmlDoc.LoadXml(objQuery.ExecuteQuery(objBizUser.WhoAmI(), strAllAccountsFetchXML)); Has anyone else ...

Convert date
How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/jdates.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany gary wrote: > How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a > Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > > For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:24:57 -0700, "gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a >Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > >For exa...

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

Trying to read XML file into dataset

Converting XML > Dataset
Hi ! Here's my problem in english :-) I want to convert the mssecure.xml file from Microsoft into an dataset to store it in an SQL-Database. My code in VB looks like this : Dim ds As New DataSet Dim doc As New Xml.XmlDocument doc.Load("D:\mssecure.xml") Dim sReader As New StringReader(doc.InnerXml) ds.ReadXml(sReader) The problem is : At the ds.readxml(sreader) command i get an error which told me, that there is an problem whith a relationship in "ProductFamilies" I hope my english is good enough to explain... Please help ! Thanks !!! Christoph Duesmann C...

why are links to websites (inserted in publisher documents) disab.
why are links to websites and e-mailadresses (inserted in publisher documents) still working in emailpreview but disabled in webpage preview? ...

Using Visio HTML output within frames
Hi, I want to include visio HTML output in a frame of another html file. Unfortunately it is not working. I understood the problem is in vml_*.htm files. It is due to, the target arrtibute(pointing to _parent) in v:shapetype tag and href attribute (pointing to #) in v:shape tag. These attributes should point to "_top" and "<target-html-file>#" respectively inorder to work. I want to change these options while saving .vsd as web page? I would appreciate if you can help me in this regard. <v:shapetype id="VISSHAPE" target="_parent" coor...