I have a macro which can read the last cell/column of all tables in a
Word 2003/2007 document and store the data in an MS-Access table. But,
some Word documents have the data in structures like a table format
but are not actually tables. The structure looks like a table, but the
table borders are actually line connectors. These documents were
created by a software(VeryPDF PDF to Word converter) which converted
the PDF documents(the original format these documents were) into Word
documents.

1. Is there a way I can convert/replace the tabular structures with
actual tables in Word so that I can use the macro?

2. Or, is there a way I can read the value of the last column from the
tabular structures using some VBA code?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Select the tabular structure and click Table > Convert > Text to Table (or
in Word 2007, Insert > Table > Convert Text to Table).

Before you can get this to work properly, you may have to do some cleanup to
remove some of the line-drawing characters, especially those that make the
corners and the horizontal lines. Instead of removing the vertical lines
between the columns, use those as the "separator characters" in the
conversion dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

s wrote:
> I have a macro which can read the last cell/column of all tables in a
> Word 2003/2007 document and store the data in an MS-Access table. But,
> some Word documents have the data in structures like a table format
> but are not actually tables. The structure looks like a table, but the
> table borders are actually line connectors. These documents were
> created by a software(VeryPDF PDF to Word converter) which converted
> the PDF documents(the original format these documents were) into Word
> documents.
>
> 1. Is there a way I can convert/replace the tabular structures with
> actual tables in Word so that I can use the macro?
>
> 2. Or, is there a way I can read the value of the last column from the
> tabular structures using some VBA code?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

0
Jay
6/2/2010 8:26:39 PM
On Jun 2, 4:26=A0pm, "Jay Freedman" <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Select the tabular structure and click Table > Convert > Text to Table (o=
> in Word 2007, Insert > Table > Convert Text to Table).
>
> Before you can get this to work properly, you may have to do some cleanup=
> remove some of the line-drawing characters, especially those that make th=
> corners and the horizontal lines. Instead of removing the vertical lines
> between the columns, use those as the "separator characters" in the
> conversion dialog.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

Thanks for the suggestion.

How do I use the vertical lines between the columns as "separator
characters"? In Word 2007, I choose Insert -> Table -> Convert Text to
Table, in that at Separate Text as option, I can enter some
information for Other, but what do I enter for the vertical lines
which are actually line connectors? Do I enter their ASCII code
value(i don't know how to find their ASCII code value) or something
else?

Can you please clarify?

Thanks
You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
Other space

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"s" <s@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 2, 4:26 pm, "Jay Freedman" <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Select the tabular structure and click Table > Convert > Text to Table
>> (or
>> in Word 2007, Insert > Table > Convert Text to Table).
>>
>> Before you can get this to work properly, you may have to do some cleanup
>> remove some of the line-drawing characters, especially those that make
>> the
>> corners and the horizontal lines. Instead of removing the vertical lines
>> between the columns, use those as the "separator characters" in the
>> conversion dialog.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> How do I use the vertical lines between the columns as "separator
> characters"? In Word 2007, I choose Insert -> Table -> Convert Text to
> Table, in that at Separate Text as option, I can enter some
> information for Other, but what do I enter for the vertical lines
> which are actually line connectors? Do I enter their ASCII code
> value(i don't know how to find their ASCII code value) or something
> else?
>
> Can you please clarify?
>
> Thanks

0
Doug
6/2/2010 10:57:47 PM
Hint: With the cursor in the Other box, press Ctrl+V to paste the
clipboard content. (Lots of people think they have to use a toolbar
button or a menu entry to paste, and those aren't available in a
dialog. The keyboard shortcut works almost everywhere.)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:57:47 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
<dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:

>You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
>Other space
>
>--
>Hope this helps.
>
>Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>services on a paid consulting basis.

>"s" <s@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>> On Jun 2, 4:26 pm, "Jay Freedman" <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> Select the tabular structure and click Table > Convert > Text to Table
>>> (or
>>> in Word 2007, Insert > Table > Convert Text to Table).
>>>
>>> Before you can get this to work properly, you may have to do some cleanup
>>> remove some of the line-drawing characters, especially those that make
>>> the
>>> corners and the horizontal lines. Instead of removing the vertical lines
>>> between the columns, use those as the "separator characters" in the
>>> conversion dialog.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Jay Freedman
>>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> How do I use the vertical lines between the columns as "separator
>> characters"? In Word 2007, I choose Insert -> Table -> Convert Text to
>> Table, in that at Separate Text as option, I can enter some
>> information for Other, but what do I enter for the vertical lines
>> which are actually line connectors? Do I enter their ASCII code
>> value(i don't know how to find their ASCII code value) or something
>> else?
>>
>> Can you please clarify?
>>
>> Thanks
0
Jay
6/3/2010 1:04:21 AM
On Jun 2, 6:57=A0pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org>
wrote:
> You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
> Other space
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

Tried that, before I posted a response to Jay's message. It did not
work. Do you know how they
are actually represented in MS-Word. For example, I know paragraph
breaks are represented by "^p"

Or, is it possible to use some VBA code to convert the line connectors
into a table or atleast extract data
inside them?

Thanks

On Jun 2, 9:04=A0pm, Jay Freedman <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hint: With the cursor in the Other box, press Ctrl+V to paste the
> clipboard content. (Lots of people think they have to use a toolbar
> button or a menu entry to paste, and those aren't available in a
> dialog. The keyboard shortcut works almost everywhere.)

Did that, did not work. Nothing appeared in the Other box.
I clicked OK, hoping it might work, but it did not.

The Ctl+V shortcut works almost everywhere in Windows, but at the
place where you are pasting, it should be taking that kind of input
which
in this case(the area in the Other box), i guess, is not. Either
that,
or I am doing something wrong.

Did it work for you? I am using Word 2007.

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:57:47 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
>
> <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:
> >You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
> >Other space
>
> >--
> >Hope this helps.
>
> >Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> >services on a paid consulting basis.

> >"s" <s...@mailinator.com> wrote in message
..

> >> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> >> How do I use the vertical lines between the columns as "separator
> >> characters"? In Word 2007, I choose Insert -> Table -> Convert Text to
> >> Table, in that at Separate Text as option, I can enter some
> >> information for Other, but what do I enter for the vertical lines
> >> which are actually line connectors? Do I enter their ASCII code
> >> value(i don't know how to find their ASCII code value) or something
> >> else?
>
> >> Can you please clarify?
>
> >> Thanks

Send a copy of the document to dkr[atsymbo]mvps[dot]org and I will take a
look as see exactly what it is and how to handle it.

--

> On Jun 2, 6:57 pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org>
> wrote:
>> You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
>> Other space
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.

> Tried that, before I posted a response to Jay's message. It did not
> work. Do you know how they
> are actually represented in MS-Word. For example, I know paragraph
> breaks are represented by "^p"
>
> Or, is it possible to use some VBA code to convert the line connectors
> into a table or atleast extract data
> inside them?
>
> Thanks
>>
>> "s" <s...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

>> > Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> > How do I use the vertical lines between the columns as "separator
>> > characters"? In Word 2007, I choose Insert -> Table -> Convert Text to
>> > Table, in that at Separate Text as option, I can enter some
>> > information for Other, but what do I enter for the vertical lines
>> > which are actually line connectors? Do I enter their ASCII code
>> > value(i don't know how to find their ASCII code value) or something
>> > else?
>>
>> > Can you please clarify?
>>
>> > Thanks

0
Doug
6/3/2010 1:23:32 AM
Send a copy of your document to dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org and I will take a
look at it.

--

> On Jun 2, 9:04 pm, Jay Freedman <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Hint: With the cursor in the Other box, press Ctrl+V to paste the
>> clipboard content. (Lots of people think they have to use a toolbar
>> button or a menu entry to paste, and those aren't available in a
>> dialog. The keyboard shortcut works almost everywhere.)
>
> Did that, did not work. Nothing appeared in the Other box.
> I clicked OK, hoping it might work, but it did not.
>
> The Ctl+V shortcut works almost everywhere in Windows, but at the
> place where you are pasting, it should be taking that kind of input
> which
> in this case(the area in the Other box), i guess, is not. Either
> that,
> or I am doing something wrong.
>
> Did it work for you? I am using Word 2007.
>
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:57:47 +1000, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
>>
>> <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote:
>> >You could try copying and pasting one of the "line connectors" into the
>> >Other space
>>
>> >--
>> >Hope this helps.
>>
>> >Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> >services on a paid consulting basis.

>> >"s" <s...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

0
Doug
6/3/2010 1:25:19 AM
On Jun 2, 9:25=A0pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org>
wrote:
> Send a copy of your document to dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org and I will take=
> look at it.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

Sent that document to you.

1. Is there a software which is recommended for converting PDF
documents having tables into a
Word(2003/2007) format which preserves the table format and converts
to actual Word tables instead of tabular structures?

I attempted Very2PDF PDF to Word converter, but that converted the
tables to tabular structures with vertical/horizontal
connectors.

I tried using NitroPDF, but that too did not work. It created the RTF
document, but the tables were laid
out with textboxes or as vertically merged cells .

I used Acrobat 9 Professional, but that also could not convert the
table structure when I exported it
as a Word document. Some part came out as a picture in Word, some came
in tabular structures.

2. Is there a way to read from textboxes/tabular structures with
vertical/horizontal
connectors using VBA or some other method? If so, the files converted
through NitroPDF
would work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Problem with "Use Unicode Format when saving messages"
In outlook we have option to set "use Unicode format when saving messages"(outlook>tools>options>other >Advanced options),even though option is enabled, when ever I try "save as" the email into folder, it is showing Html format by default.However can drop down the list and select the Unicode format. But I need Unicode message format to be shown by default if I need to "save as" any email. Any Suggestion ? Regards, Sam That is not possible and that is not what this option controls. The option controls whether the default safe fo...

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

Document Template question
It's legal for a document to have multiple views into it's data, but when CMultiDocTemplate is created, it is only passed one runtime view class. How are multiple views handled in the document template context? Should all views of your document be derived from the class passed to CMultiDocTemplate? This is confusing me because MDI AppWizard did the work of setting up a document view class for me, but now I'm just using a child window with an imbedded static splitter window to show two different views of my document, and these views have nothing to do with CMyProjectView that...

Pivot Table Question #5

Document Viewer installer error

using the journal on outlook

data sort

Pulling data from separate tabs

Formula for cross tab data filling

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

formula or VBA
I need to search through a column checking condtions. If the conditions are met, then I want to enter the corresponding value in the column next to it into a different cell. Basically, I want to search column A and, if the conditions are met, put the value in B into C. Would this be easier via formula or code? And maybe some starting suggestions would be nice if you don't mind. -- Thanks, Jim in a formula in col b =if(cond,a1,"") using vba for each c in range("a1:a100") if cond then c.offset(0,1)=c next -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "...

Help with importing data

How to get to email from Word

form fields not saving to table

Excel VBA