auto Figure numbering and updating

Hopefully this is the correct discussion group for my inquiry.  I am a
technical writer developing maintenance manuals for large machines.  I use
photos, graphics and drawings regularly in the manuals.  They are always
'Figure X-X' numbered.  Is there a way to make my document automatically
number and update according to position in the document?  i.e. adding or
deleting a figure would automatically vs manually re-number accordingly.

The Insert Caption facility does exactly that - insert captions with numbers
that will automatically update if one of them is deleted are one is added.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.
> Hopefully this is the correct discussion group for my inquiry.  I am a
> technical writer developing maintenance manuals for large machines.  I use
> photos, graphics and drawings regularly in the manuals.  They are always
> 'Figure X-X' numbered.  Is there a way to make my document automatically
> number and update according to position in the document?  i.e. adding or
> deleting a figure would automatically vs manually re-number accordingly.

0
Doug

Converting user-name to 'random' number
Hi guys, I wondered if you could help out a friend of mine - I'm just passing on his message: -------------------------- I'm trying to automate some coursework tasks for the new course and would like to randomise the data sets used by each student. Ideally I'd like them to type their name into a pre-set cell, and then for this to be converted to a long-ish number. I can then use the number to add different deliberate errors to the data. I don't want to use RANNOR (random number generator) as this would make marking a nightmare. Does anyone know how to convert a cell cont...

dynamically update pivot table data source
I am trying to determine if there is a way to dynamically update the data source underlying a pivot table. For example, I have a data sheet that grows by one year each month and this sheet populates a pivot table. Each time I add a new row, I have to redefine the source data range for the pivot table. Can this action be done automatically? I have seen something like this to update graphs using the series function... just not for pivot tables. Thanks in advance. chaz You can use a dynamic formula to define the source range for your Pivot Table. There are some instructions here: ...

Add hyphens to a number
In one column, each cell has a 16 digit number. I need to put hyphens between 4 different numbers in each cell. Each cell/number will have the hyphen in the same place. I was successful doing this once I believe through Format\Cells\Number\Custom but I did not write down the steps how to do it. Any clues? Thanks texasphil -- texasphil ------------------------------------------------------------------------ texasphil's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32615 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=541305 You didn&#...

Error Number 0x800ccc0E
In the support base it says that this happens when I am connected to MSN and using a non MSN address. Unfortunately Im not (I don't think) using MSN to access the web. HELP!! Thanks Matt Hi! This code (see Q208814): 0x800CCC0E FAILED_TO_CONNECT Cannot connect to server. can mean the following: your ISP server is exist, but no service exists at specified port (e.g. you have specified server.myisp.com and port 26, but the service is located at port 25). Alexander Gorlach, MAPILab Ltd. -- Must have Outlook add-ins http://www.mapilab.com/ > -----Original Message----- > F...

no "update account manually" when creating redit card
Hello all, In Money Plus Premium I try to add a credit card account (Diners Club) and "update account manually' is never an option. It just tells me that I have to sign up for the MSN oline service. Even if I cancel, it will leave a "complete setup for online services" and when I download a statement from their site the account is not an option to get that statement imported into (which worked on Money 2005). Is there an option to set it up to get manual updates? I can't imagine the only option being chosing "the bank is not listed here". thanks O...

Entourage Auto Spell Checker

Filtering Numbers
This is probably a very easy question to answer but I am having great difficulty. I simply want to filter a lot of data by numbers. For example I have a lot of pressure data with readings every second. I only want to use every hundredth point. If I try autofilter - custom- ends with- it doesn't work. Only works with text. None of the other number filters are of use. Is it possible to filter by row number. For instance to display every hundredth row? Any help would be appreciated. One way, in a helper column at the end of your data, put the following formula and then copy it down a...

Check for doubled-up figures
How can I run a check on a column of figures to make sure that I haven' doubled-up any of them? In other words, each number is only allowed t be entered once, so if any of them appear more than once, I want to b notified at the bottom. Jonatha -- Joniben ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1704 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46906 Put this formula next to the numbers =COUNTIF(A:A, A2)=1 assuming your data is in column A, and...

Auto formatting
I have to import/export files in and out of access and other programs using excel on a daily basis. All of these files are .CSV files. Some of the data in these files are the same as a date. For example; mar2 or feb-1. Both of these are product numbers and are not intended to be dates. When I open the file in excel it automatically changes them to dates. If I then highlight them and convert them to text I get a 5 digit number like "38413". So each time I open them I have to go through all the lines that I know were converted and change them back to the original data. If I forg...

Incidents/Cases ticket number
Hi all, How can I change the generator for automatic cases ticket number ? By default appears CAS-XXXX, how can i change the prefix and reset the numerator ? Thanks, Hugo ...

Maintain PO Line item number sequence when one is deleted.
Once a PO is printed (released), if a line item is deleted, all subsequent line item numbers are resequenced. I would prefer they are not resequenced to maintain accurate history and to all me to tell the vendor that line item 13 was deleted. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree"...

Contact Auto Number
Hello, Does anyone have any clever ideas about how to configure a unique id field on the contact entity? What ive done so far is to add a new button via the isv.config which points to an asp page, which subsequently calls a stored procedure on a seperate database table(increments by 1 etc.,)and puts the value in the crm form. However, i am relying on the users to click on the button, ideally i would like it to populate the membership number field when the screen is displayed (and is blank). Anyone got any clever ideas? Jo H ...

Automatic range update of Graph
Hello, Can some one tell me if it is possible to automatically update the (date) ranges in a graph? Now I have to extend the ranges manually each time there is a new range provided. Thanx in advance!!! Regards, Robert Have a look at Tushar Mehta's Dynamic Ranges site. http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html Or Jon Peltier's site on Dynamic Charts http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html#hdrDyno Gord Dibben Excel MVP On 30 Jun 2005 06:59:31 -0700, p.strijbosch@chello.nl wrote: >Hello, > >Can some one tell me if it is possible to ...

Visio Auto discovery
In Visio 2000 pro there was a network discovery tool that would interigate my network also an Active Directory tool. This has gone from 2003. I believe these functions are now supplied as add ons i saw an offer from Microsoft to get the add on for 2003 but can not find it again. No clear info on the Visio or Visiocafe sites that I can see. The offering was for a resource kit that included the low-end Fluke tool for LANs and the Altima Stencils. The kit does not support active directory (or the Novell one either). Al "Ian L" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Computer found updates
When I first activated windows I had just bought a computer and decided to just take the hard drive out and use it in my old one (which is pretty brand new) it was just dropped and the hard drive fried. When I activated windows I used the product key of the new one I just bought which is a Dell instead of the one I put it in which is an Emachines. So all the drivers were not loaded. So I went and had network adapters added and got in. Well it showed a list of automatic updates which I did install. Now my system hangs and reboots itself. I can get in by going to safe mode wi...

Money 2004 download update error (SMRTINET.INI)
Every time I connect to download money updates I get this error saying: "Money encountered an error processing the downloaded file ('SMRTINET.INI'). It is not a serious error and usually if you do another update immediately it goes away. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes email to mnyukwsh@microsoft.com. "Armando Torres" <mwaves@gmx.net> wrote in message news:u5...

Latest Update 12.2.3 crashes WORD

Email notification at Windows XP Login will not update
All the time when I close Outlook 2003 without reading all unread messages in Outlook the notification of unread messages at Win XP login reminds for unread messages without updating whenn all messages are read. After I mark or read all messages the notification will not updated nor be removed. Nice idea but buggy? I cannot see anyway to have this alert be cleaned. Well done! I have now a total amount of 23 unread messages at my Win XP login and no unread messages in my Outlook. Thanks for any help in advance! ...

Safepay
A major bank in Canada (TD Canada Trust) has a requirement for an auto-incrementing file number in the header and there is no way to do this with the existing fields in safepay. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions...

how can you set up excel to auto-save a document?
Cherrice That would depend upon your version of Excel. There is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as there was in earlier versions. Autorecovery from Tools>Options>Save is it. This is not the same as Autosave which made true incremental saves at intervals and alerted you before saving. Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes normally without incident. BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine. I have also tried the Autosave.XLA from XL97 and does the job. To download the 97 ...

how to check if CEdit input is a number or not?
I want to know what is the easy way to check if a string is a number or not? the number can be int, float, double, scientific,... what is the easy way for only interger? Look at this: http://www.codeproject.com/editctrl/validatingedit.asp --------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com You may find this derived control useful. http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/editctrl/maskededitcontrols/article.php/c3915/ Tom "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1141853748.415449.24570@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I want to know what is the easy way to check if a str...

Auto name completion and .NK2 file
Hello all, I was helping a friend troubleshoot why her Auto name completion and name checking (in OL 2002) suddenly quit working. I verified all the appropriate settings. Then I checked into the .NK2 issue as suggested by the Microsoft website. She didn't have one but in my quest to discover her problem I discovered I don't have a .NK2 file either but by name completion and checking work just fine. I have "show hidden files" checked but an automatic and manual search come up empty. Any ideas?!?! Thanks. What OS are you using? Did you look for it in the right folder?...

Changing office v.X serial number
Hi, I have a copy of Office v.X for Mac and had it installed on my computer. I recently purchased a new iMac and wanted to install this software onto the second Mac, but because they are connected to the same network then it comes up with the error that the serial number is already in use on the network, and shuts down. So, i have purchased another license to try and install with. So, i had deleted the install of Office and tried to reinstall with the new number. The problem is it didnt ask for the new number, it took the old one again. Now, im not so much a Macintosh person, i have us...

GP 10 upgrade
Hi, I am trying to upgrade from GP9 SP4 to GP10. When I run the upgrade routine it starts upgrading the DYNAMICS database, however when it gets to the Update button and I press this, it then runs and does some updates but finishes again at the same Update button. I cannot seem to get further than this. If I choose to do the upgrade without converting user security I get past this problem - however I do need to upgrade user security. I have tried various things - and believe my problem must be due to user security somehow. One thing I also noticed is that when I run Security Reconcile ...

number
the error is :"the number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an astrophe", It means we must convert it to number and we can do, but I don't want this error appear in other excel file again.How can I do? This can be easily avoided. Before making any entries into a worksheet or template, make sure the cells to be used for numerical input have been pre-formatted to General, not Text. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "hungayun" wrote: > the error is :"the number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an > astrop...