auto Figure numbering and updating

Hopefully this is the correct discussion group for my inquiry.  I am a
technical writer developing maintenance manuals for large machines.  I use
photos, graphics and drawings regularly in the manuals.  They are always
'Figure X-X' numbered.  Is there a way to make my document automatically
number and update according to position in the document?  i.e. adding or
deleting a figure would automatically vs manually re-number accordingly.

The Insert Caption facility does exactly that - insert captions with numbers
that will automatically update if one of them is deleted are one is added.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.
> Hopefully this is the correct discussion group for my inquiry.  I am a
> technical writer developing maintenance manuals for large machines.  I use
> photos, graphics and drawings regularly in the manuals.  They are always
> 'Figure X-X' numbered.  Is there a way to make my document automatically
> number and update according to position in the document?  i.e. adding or
> deleting a figure would automatically vs manually re-number accordingly.

0
Doug

insert number in column #2
I have a column with threedigits for telephone extensions. I want to insert a digit before the three throughout the column as the extension has been increased to 4 digits. Any easy way.../ Thanks. AFD One way: In a blank column (say column H), enter H1: =1 & A1 or, if you want them as numbers rather than text: H1: =1000+A1 copy down as far as necessary. Select the column and copy it. Select the original column and choose Edit/Paste Special/Values. In article <Om6vrJpEIHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, "afdmello" <afdmello@hotmail.com> wrote: &...

Activity Owner Auto-Change?
Has anyone seen where an activity owner will automagically change owner to the CRM Administrator? This is occuring on all users and there is no workflow running. Sean i have seen wierdness with the modifiedon and modifiedby fields but have never seen an object change owner any clues such as when this started happening etc? -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Sean Fullerton" <nospamsean@nope-emonarch.net> wrote in message news:OOP0CuSGFHA.2756@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Has anyone seen where an activity owner will automagically change ...

Troubleshooting Update article: HOW INSTALLING APPLE'S UPDATES CAN RENDER YOUR MAC UNBOOTABLE AND HOW YOU CAN PREVENT IT
Maybe this will shed some light on the problems some users are experiencing. Posted on the Unsanity Blog: <http://unsanity.org/> March 16, 2007 SHOCK AND AWE: HOW INSTALLING APPLE'S UPDATES CAN RENDER YOUR MAC UNBOOTABLE AND HOW YOU CAN PREVENT IT Yes, I am fully aware that I just told every one to update to Mac OS X 10.4.9 and I know this may be construed as me telling people not to. When you see the "Optimizing System Performance" phase of a software update, Mac OS X is really updating prebinding. Updating prebinding has a very, very nasty bug in it (look at _dyld_up...

updating account
I cannot turn off the updating account in the upper right corner. My bank does not have online services through microsoft and this locks up my Money 2007. I have done everything on microsofts web page and cannot correct this problem. Any suggestions? -- Lisa ...

Outlook 2007 auto-enters meetings
When I get an Outlook meeting request into my Inbox, it is automatically entered into my Calendar. I don't want it to do that unless I Accept the meeting. How do I shut off this automatic entry ? Jeff tools, options, calendar options, resource scheduling -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT...

Online price update for securities
I bought mutual fund QFFOX on 1/25. Money faithfully updated prices each time I logged in thru 2/18. Since then, the online price has been updated to $0.00 with each login - which makes it appear as if I've lost my entire investment in this fund. Checking other on-line sources, I am able to get a current price, and input the information manually. However, when I log into Money again, all of the manual updates are overridden by a price of $0.00. In all, I own a around 25 stocks and mutual funds, mostly the latter. QFFOX is my only holding with this problem. "Yvonne"...

How do I disable auto-crop? It's cutting off text in document!
I'm new to the One-Touch 9220 USB Visioneer scanner. When scanning my text documents, the scanner automatically crops an inch off all four margins on the page, so I'm losing text. I see a pop-up message by the icon that "auto-crop scan" is in progress. How do I disable "auto-crop" when I need to? Thanks ... This is the Visio forum, not the Visioneer Scanner forum. : ) -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "E-Jane-Back" <E-Jane-Back@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B768C06-FF15-4B7B-9254-E87B88F618F6@microsoft.com... ...

Update Rowsource Records in unbound combos
If I have an unbound combo box with a Rowsource that includes an "autonumberd" ID field, AND, I want to update one of the other fields in current row, how do I go about doing that? Say my Rowsource is comprised of a record: MyID, MySpecialValue, MyTextField and, I want to update MySpecialValue. Bill On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:52:57 GMT, Bill wrote: > If I have an unbound combo box with a Rowsource > that includes an "autonumberd" ID field, AND, I want > to update one of the other fields in current row, how > do I go about doing that? > > Say my Rows...

Entourage database failure after 10.6.3 update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I ran the new Snow Leopard Update 10.6.3 (from 10.6.2) and now every time I power on, I get an error message telling me the MS Office database daemon has a problem and do I want to close / restart. I've rebooted / retried, rebuilt the database, but it just sits there and repeats every couple of seconds. Anyone else seen this? On Mar 31, 2:02=A0pm, priusg...@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: I= ntel Email Client: E...

Problems with index page numbers
I have a 66 page document with a TOC and an index. The page numbers in the TOC are correct, but in the index they are 2 pages off. I clicked the paragraph button to display the index field codes - I think the problem lies in the fact that the TOC contains index codes with many cross references for documents in the appendix (a number of separate documents). This causes the TOC to display over four pages when showing the field codes and only two when not. Is there an easy way to fix the page numbering in the index? -- A. Avery You must be careful to have the XE fields hidden whe...

Phone Number not showing in GAL
I'm running Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003. I put a phone number in a users "Telephone Number" field in AD, It does not show up in the user for the GAL. I let replication take place. Anything else I could look for? Thanks Rick On 3 Jul 2006 05:54:50 -0700, "Rick" <drummer10980@gmail.com> wrote: >I'm running Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003. I put a phone number in a users >"Telephone Number" field in AD, It does not show up in the user for the >GAL. I let replication take place. Anything else I could look for? > >Thanks >Rick There are s...

Help figuring out how to represent data
I would appreciate some thoughts on how I can best accomplish th following task. I have a spreadsheet showing projected billing amount for the next 12 months, the columns are labeled with the month and eac row represents a different "type" of bill, the data is the amoun billed in each month for each type. These are all projecte figures,each month I will need to somehow reflect the ACTUAL billin that occurred and then come up with the % difference between th projection and actual. How can I best represent this in a spreadshee (umm.. maybe I should go to Access?). In addition, I have c...

Japanese Calender Fonts and Numbers
I have a user here who can not get rid of japanese font in his calander program after having installed Japanese fonts at a previos time.I have removed all things that are japenese and I still cant get rid of it in calander and the clock.I have already tryed all the things that you will sugjest .I was wondering if anyone knew of any thing wierd that me be causing this?Thanks ahead of time for help.I it gone from everything else. ...

Help with List box to subform update please??
I am trying to auto update a subform with a selection I have clicked on in my list box Lets imagin a car workshop Data1 = Car plate, model, year (uniqueid is carplate) Data2 = WorkRef, Car Plate, In, Out (uniqeID is workref, lookup field on carplate) The form has a list box from Data1 just showing each car plate, and a subform (in Dataview) showing all the work ref and details for the respective car plate. As you click the car plate on the list box it changes the details on the subform I have a "me.Requery" on the list box on the afterevent Any help would be appreciated I...

zeros are being added to my numbers
Hi when i type a number into a cell ie 6 when i leave the cell a zero is automatically added. I dont want this zero to be added -- des In front or at the end? Check: a. Tools|Options|Edit tab, uncheck Fixed Decimal b. Format the cell as General -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "des" <alberyds@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:564346C5-2851-4B9B-A616-D4305AECD360@microsoft.com... | Hi when i type a number into a cell ie 6 when i leave the cell a zero is | automatically added. I dont want this zero to be added | -- | des Hi Niek Otten your fix ...

not updating any mailbox/user resources. Could please help me on t
We have a MS Exchange Server 5.5 with Service pack 4 (Windows 2000 member of windows NT domain Server) All mail box user member of new ADC (Windows 2003 ADS) We are trying to migrate Exchange Server 5 5 to Exchange Server 2003. We have installed windows 2003 server with service pack 1. The server is a another ADC of our new ADC (Windows 2003 ADS) We have installed another Exch 2003 on this new Win 2003 server Ran ADC connector Than we are start the installation. We are flow the step which is given bellow. To start the Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Tools 1. ...

Number of DC is limited?
I've heard that number of DC (Device Context) is limited. I want to know, 1. How many DCs are available? 2. What happens when all of them are in use? 3. Where can I or how can I find this kind of informations? I tried to read MSDN about Device Context but I couldn't find it. I want to learn how to catch fishes not only fishes. But it's doesn't mean that I don't nees fishes :-) there are 5 DCs avalible to your app. when you've used them all, GetDC() fails. joe # "Joonho Ryu" <junoryu@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uD1eYnAXDHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP10...

Exchange Update Tool and Outlook TZ Update tool for MS Outlook
Hi, I have a few questions about the above updates. If you install the Exchange Update Tool (926666), do you still need to install the Outlook update tool (931667) to update calendar items in Outlook? I installed the Update Tool for Exchange, and the calendar appointments did not update. Do we have to wait until the time change actually occurs to see the calendar times change in Outlook? Additionally, all of our client computers have installed the DST patch (931836). Thanks in advance for your assistance. - 926666 is not the Exchange Update "Tool", but update for DST 200...

Nedd time to update once new record added
I have a continuious form that records sign in times for employees. My problem arrises when an employee puts thier name in the control a new record appears for the next person with the current time on it as I have it set to Defalt Value =Now(). So 20 minuites later when another employee signs in the time is wrong for them because I need the time control to update after all the information is added to the record, not before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hi Roby, Remove the default value (from either the underlying table, or the textbox control), and use the BeforeInsert event...

how can I reduce number of pages in a banner
I make banners quite often for school but I do not know how I can use less pages than the one on the banner template sometimes for instance I only want a small banner covering 2 or 3 pages can anyone help explain how I can do this thanks What version Publisher are you using? If you are using 2007, File, Page Setup, Advanced. You will want to type in numbers that will not exceed the height of your stock. For example type 24" x 8.5, in print preview this will produce 3 pages. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "corby585" <corby585@discussions.microsof...

Online Updates/Statements not working well
I have about 7 Banks/cc/401s that can download transactions. I have been using MS Money since its inception and have never had this many "MS money cannot update your account". I would say 50% of the time MS money cannot download the info. Mind you these are the same accounts I used with 2004 and never had problems. Between all of the online frustrations, the continuous redownloads of transactions (all of the MS money work arounds are pathetic), and MS money entering sells before buys in my ameritrade account.... it's getting time to look at quicken or even an abacus....

Excel file saved as txt with justified column numbers when viewed in a txt viewer
I was wondering if its possible/how to export an excel file to txt format and make sure that the first column in excel will start be from column 1-10 on a txt viewer and the second column would be from 11-20 in the txt viewer. If anyone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it. Saved from a previous post: There's a limit of 240 characters per line when you do File|saveas and use .prn files. So if your data wouldn't create a record that was longer than 240 characters, you can save the file as .prn. I like to use a fixed width font (courier new) and adjust t...

Updating links to Password protected files
I have a Password-to-open protected file. I paste-link 3 separate selections of data into three files which are used by three subordinates. When they need to update the links they are asked for the password to the "Master" file. Is there any way to let them have the updates without using the Password?? hi, Jim ! > I have a Password-to-open protected file. > I paste-link 3 separate selections of data into three files which are used by three subordinates. > When they need to update the links they are asked for the password to the "Master" file. > Is there any...

page numbering #3
Please let me know the simplest way in Excel to automatically number pages like page 1 of 9, 2 of 9, 3 of 9, etc.? Also, in the future, if I delete a worksheet, then will the system know that it now needs to be 1 of 8, 2 of 8, 3 of 8, etc.? Thank you very much. Aamir To have consective numbering 1 of 9, 2 of 9 etc. when printing all sheets in a workbook. Select first sheet tab and right-click and "select all sheets". File>Page Setup>Headers/Footers. Select Header or Footer and choose from the built-in page numbering options. You can do the same when slecting only one ...

get a list of sequence number that meet 3 criteria 12-07-09
How do you get a list of sequence numbers of 5 that meet 3 criteria? There are 1-59. I want to get a list of sequence numbers that consists of 5 number being called. Below are 3 criteria which consist of 24 to 28 group and each group has 1-3 numbers. Only one number is call from each group and no group will have two number call in the same sequence. There should be 5 number called. For example: 16 35 37 42 51 criteria 1 criteria 2 criteria 3 group 1 59 group 1 50 group 1 50 group 2 58 group 2 40 group 2 40 51 group 3 49 group 3 51 group 3 30 41 52 gr...