text wrapping before my right margin

When  I open a new document in Word 2003, my text will wrap 1/2 inch before
my right margin (i.e. at 6 inches instead of 6.5 inches).  My margins are set
at 1" L & R and there is no indent set.  The only way I've found around this
is to either set it for 1 column of 6.5 inch width, or to set my right margin
at 0.5 inches so the text will wrap at 6.5 inches.

Any idea how to fix this so my text will wrap at the correct margin when I
start a new document?  Thanks!

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"dafodill02" <dafodill02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When  I open a new document in Word 2003, my text will wrap 1/2 inch before
> my right margin (i.e. at 6 inches instead of 6.5 inches).  My margins are set
> at 1" L & R and there is no indent set.  The only way I've found around this
> is to either set it for 1 column of 6.5 inch width, or to set my right margin
> at 0.5 inches so the text will wrap at 6.5 inches.
>
> Any idea how to fix this so my text will wrap at the correct margin when I
> start a new document?  Thanks!

0
Stefan
5/25/2010 7:41:26 AM
As Stefan suggests, the fact that opening the Columns dialog and clicking on
the Preset picture for One corrects the wrapping suggests that the Normal
template has somehow acquired an incorrect column width setting;
unfortunately, the only way to correct this is to open Normal.dot directly
and correct it.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"dafodill02" <dafodill02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When  I open a new document in Word 2003, my text will wrap 1/2 inch
> before
> my right margin (i.e. at 6 inches instead of 6.5 inches).  My margins are
> set
> at 1" L & R and there is no indent set.  The only way I've found around
> this
> is to either set it for 1 column of 6.5 inch width, or to set my right
> margin
> at 0.5 inches so the text will wrap at 6.5 inches.
>
> Any idea how to fix this so my text will wrap at the correct margin when I
> start a new document?  Thanks!

0
Suzanne
5/25/2010 12:06:31 PM
Well, although that's what I was thinking, I didn't actually suggest it. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> As Stefan suggests, the fact that opening the Columns dialog and clicking on
> the Preset picture for One corrects the wrapping suggests that the Normal
> template has somehow acquired an incorrect column width setting;
> unfortunately, the only way to correct this is to open Normal.dot directly and
> correct it.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "dafodill02" <dafodill02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When  I open a new document in Word 2003, my text will wrap 1/2 inch before
>> my right margin (i.e. at 6 inches instead of 6.5 inches).  My margins are set
>> at 1" L & R and there is no indent set.  The only way I've found around this
>> is to either set it for 1 column of 6.5 inch width, or to set my right margin
>> at 0.5 inches so the text will wrap at 6.5 inches.
>>
>> Any idea how to fix this so my text will wrap at the correct margin when I
>> start a new document?  Thanks!

0
Stefan
5/25/2010 1:18:32 PM
You implied it, I guess. When I first read your post, I thought it was
completely out in left field, but then I reread the OP, caught the part
about setting column width, and divined why you had suggested the article.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, although that's what I was thinking, I didn't actually suggest it.
> :-)
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> As Stefan suggests, the fact that opening the Columns dialog and clicking
>> on the Preset picture for One corrects the wrapping suggests that the
>> Normal template has somehow acquired an incorrect column width setting;
>> unfortunately, the only way to correct this is to open Normal.dot
>> directly and correct it.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "dafodill02" <dafodill02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> When  I open a new document in Word 2003, my text will wrap 1/2 inch
>>> before
>>> my right margin (i.e. at 6 inches instead of 6.5 inches).  My margins
>>> are set
>>> at 1" L & R and there is no indent set.  The only way I've found around
>>> this
>>> is to either set it for 1 column of 6.5 inch width, or to set my right
>>> margin
>>> at 0.5 inches so the text will wrap at 6.5 inches.
>>>
>>> Any idea how to fix this so my text will wrap at the correct margin when
>>> start a new document?  Thanks!

0
Suzanne
5/25/2010 1:24:02 PM
True. But I could have made it explicit.

--

> You implied it, I guess. When I first read your post, I thought it was
> completely out in left field, but then I reread the OP, caught the part about
> setting column width, and divined why you had suggested the article.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Well, although that's what I was thinking, I didn't actually suggest it. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> As Stefan suggests, the fact that opening the Columns dialog and clicking on
>>> the Preset picture for One corrects the wrapping suggests that the Normal
>>> template has somehow acquired an incorrect column width setting;
>>> unfortunately, the only way to correct this is to open Normal.dot directly
>>> and correct it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>>> Words into Type
>>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>>> http://word.mvps.org
>>>
>>> "dafodill02" <dafodill02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Stefan
5/25/2010 1:36:24 PM
NOT TO SOUND MINDBOGGLING, But--

What's your Gutter setting?-- It's usually 0.5 inch.

Ray.

"dafodill02" wrote:

> When  I open a new document in Word 2003, my text will wrap 1/2 inch before
> my right margin (i.e. at 6 inches instead of 6.5 inches).  My margins are set
> at 1" L & R and there is no indent set.  The only way I've found around this
Actually, I believe the default gutter is zero.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mr. Raymond Kenneth Petry" wrote:

> NOT TO SOUND MINDBOGGLING, But--
>
> What's your Gutter setting?-- It's usually 0.5 inch.
>
> Ray.
>
> "dafodill02" wrote:
>
> > When  I open a new document in Word 2003, my text will wrap 1/2 inch before
> > my right margin (i.e. at 6 inches instead of 6.5 inches).  My margins are set
> > at 1" L & R and there is no indent set.  The only way I've found around this

Text box
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to print text that is in a text box but only the boarder of the box prints out. The text is visible in the normal view and in the print preview. First confirm that both Office & OS X are fully updated. Then check in Word> Preferences> Print to make sure that the boxes are checked for both "Drawing objects" & "Print background colors & images". Equally important: You should also have a look at the printer mfr's web site to see if you have the most current driver for you...

Javascript to retrieve Gridview cell text
This is a Label in ItemTemplate i wish to use javascript to put <%# Eval("Organization") %> in a textbox How can i take the text value of <%# Eval("Organization") %>? put this - onmousedown="alert(<%# Eval("�ӽо��c") %>)" ??? thanks for any ideas? *********************** <asp:Label ID="Label11" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Organization") %>' ></asp:Label> &nbsp;<asp:Label ID="Label2" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Depart...

Publisher should have customizable text box shapes.
---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=4e3276f3-4c7c-48e6-9580-3492276008c2&dg=microsoft.public.publisher You can insert text into autoshapes. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsof...

Create a border of wrapping text?
Does anyone know how to create a border of text that would wrap around the page (horizontal on top, then 90 degrees on the right, upside down on the bottom, and another 90 degrees up the left side) I have made text boxes and overlayed other objects to force it to wrap the text around the object, but none of the text wrapping choices will do what I want Any help appreciated Thanks John ...

grayed text
does anybody know how to draw a grayed 3d text like disabling a control? -- kind regards, muechel "M�chel" <Muechel@gmx.at> skrev i en meddelelse news:OoiTIMa6DHA.2524@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > does anybody know how to draw a grayed 3d text like disabling a > control? > -- > kind regards, muechel > You will have to owner draw it, but of course you knew that :-) The way I have seen it done, is to first write the text with the light gray color. Then select the dark gray color and write the text again, but offset one pixel to the left and one pixel up. Rememb...

Text over graphic
Is there a way to auto change text color when placed over graphic of the same color? If you select a text color when you start your typing, all the text will be that color. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EF658BD-756A-409E-8F7B-9A9611BEF323@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to auto change text color when placed over graphic of the same > color? ...

Using text as argument
Dear Gentlemen, I have the following problem. I have the following list in cell range A1 to A3 Milling Drilling Tapping ( Note :- The text strings may differ from the above. It is no possible to include any Hyphen, colan, Semicolan & Underscore etc. I is also not possible to give numbers. ) Now I want a formula in Range B1 to B3 which gives threee differen values or performs three different calculations based on the value i cell A1 to A3. ie - If cell A1 equals Milling then value in B1 is 1 ( or a formula) If cell A1 equals Drilling then value in B1 is 2 (or a formula) & I cell ...

how can i change the derection of text in excel
plz help me quickly Good Afternoon, Right click a cell containing text, choose Format Cells... Select the Alignment Tab and adjust the direction of the text. Kind regards, James --- jamotarpey[at]gmail[dot]com m usman weince wrote: >plz help me quickly -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200912/1 Tools>>Options>>Edit>>Move Selection After Enter>>Direction>> Change it to your desired direction and give ok Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! -------------------- (Ms-Exl-...

formatting: highlighting, wrap text, etc.
Hi, I have used Excel for years and in the past couple of days I have not been able to highlight any fields, cannot format an entire document, i.e., Ariel 10 pt I have tried on-line help and can't figure out how to resolve. I have even opened new workbooks and continue to have the same problem HELP!!!!!!!!!! thanks. A few ideas. Check all Excel Tools/Options. Check Windows Display options. Faulty keyboard. Faulty mouse. Scroll lock on. Faulty monitor/screen display settings. Installed/amended any software recently ? Start/Run... Type excel.exe /regserver .... Enter --- Message post...

Is it possible to get text values in a pivot table?
From this: ROW COL VAL A HD1 X B HD2 Y B HD1 Z C HD3 J A HD3 Z B HD3 R C HD1 S Get this? Var of VAL COL ROW HD1 HD2 HD3 A X Z B Z Y R C S J (If 2 rows go to same cell, would need to get maximum or first). Not with Pivot Table Let you A, B C data be A1:A7, the HDn data in B1:B7 and the other data in C1:C7 In some convenient place (I use A11) enter =A1&B1 and copy down the column (you could put this in another sheet or in a hidden column) Make the heading HD1, HD2 - I did this in F1:H1 and the row ...

totals do not display unless user clicks on text box
I am relatively new to access. I am using access 2007 to create a report that contains subtotals. When the report is displayed on the screen the subtotals are blank. When the user clicks on the subtotal text box then the value appears. The user has to click on each subtotal in order to make the value appear. Has anyone experience this problem? Is there a workaround or solution? Thanks Normally a sub-total in a report is achieved by means of an unbound text box in a group footer with a ControlSource property which is an expression summing a set of values from the detail sect...

How to change the right-click pop-up menu in CHtmlView?
Hi, I use MFC in VC6.0. When users click the right button of the mouse in CHTMLView, the default menu pup-up. Is there a way to change the pop-up to my own defined menu? Sorry for cross posting, for I don't know the right group. Thank you, Kelvin "Kelvin" <Kelvin_gl@yahoo.com.cn> wrote in message news:uacCpSGcEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl > I use MFC in VC6.0. When users click the right button of the mouse in > CHTMLView, the > default menu pup-up. Is there a way to change the pop-up to my own > defined menu? See KB Article KB236312 "HOWTO: Disable t...

Recognising Text in VBasic
Can anyone tell me how I would get the text in a textbox to b recognised? I am trying to make a "word-scramble" type game in exce and I need to know what I have to put after the- If TextBox1 = ImmobileLobster statement, or if that is what I have to put at all. Please help me...I am desperately in need of assistance!!!:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Do you mean If Textbox1.Text = "ImmobileLobster" Then '... -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address...

text in a circle
Hello there. I've been using publisher on and off for about 8 years now but I don't consider myself an expert I've been trying to do something today but haven't managed it so I wonder if anyone can help Basically I want to add text to the inside of a circle close to the circumference and curved rather like the small text you often find around the edges of cd's/dvd's. Can this be done in publisher 2002? I know how to curve text using wordart but the size of the text always remains large. I want text of a very small font that goes pretty much all around the circle, on th...

Text lines in a cell
I want to be able to have more than 1 line of text in a cell. -- kboec kboec Wrote: > I want to be able to have more than 1 line of text in a cell. > > > -- > kboec Hi kboec Try this; Enter first line of text, then hold down ALT key and press Enter, no enter second line of tex -- Paul Sheppar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40069 Hi kboec, Type something in the ...

How can I embed a font in an Excel text box?

can i create formula giving totals based on financial & text info
Am i able to create a formula that gives me monetray totals for expenditure on hotels, split into totals for 6 varying business sectors? ...

import text file
I would like to import a text file in to my table. Is it possible to use append query? If yes, how can I specify the field name in to my table? If not, are there any solution for this? Your information is great appreciated, iccsi wrote: > I would like to import a text file in to my table. > Is it possible to use append query? > If yes, how can I specify the field name in to my table? > If not, are there any solution for this? > Since there are variations in the method an location of the import utility as well as a couple ways to do it, I would suggest you p...

make row height a little bigger in a wrapped cell
I've got a sheet with columns at work date text (sometimes multi-line wrapped) $ nnnn.nn I can wrap text no problem but I hope approximate double spacing so I don't have to put a blank row between each item. I need the space between items so the text isn't squashed all together for a court form I guess I want to be able to say height of cell necessary for the wrapped text however much it might be plus n for each row height. I can't find a way. Is it possible? Excel 2002 Win xp Thanks for your help. If you're using merged cells, then this w...

Setting text color to black in inactive combo boxes
Hi, I have a dialog with several edits & combo boxes (and labels too). The data is shown for view only and i need it to be shown in black color (text). For the edits i use the read-only property and it's doing the job. With the combo's i have a problem, The text is displayed in gray no matter what... anyone? Thanks. yuval.gatenio@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a dialog with several edits & combo boxes (and labels too). > > The data is shown for view only and i need it to be shown in black > color (text). > > For the edits i use the read-only...

Input box replace text in textbox
How can I modify the macro below with input box code to replace "2008" by "2009" using an input box - so that i can replace "2008" by "2010" more easily if required - thxs Sub masschange() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim longstr As String Dim i As Long For Each ws In ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets For Each shp In ws.Shapes 'shp.Select If shp.Type = msoOLEControlObject Then If TypeOf shp.OLEFormat.Object.Object Is MSForms.TextBox Then If shp.Type = msoOLEControlObject Then If TypeOf shp.OLEFormat.Obje...

Right click to create new file with Excel 97
We use Excel 97 at our office on Windows XP Professional. A couple of users want to be able to create new files by using new from the right click menu and selecting Microsoft Excel Worksheet. The creation of the file works fine in that the filename is filename.xls. When they open the file and add information and then try to save the file, Excel wants to save as tab delimited. Creating a file by opening Excel first works just fine. We have tried this on several computers and the results are the same. For convenience is there some way to change this behavior? ...

Convert text numbers to number format
I have received a file that has a date column. However, the column is reading as text. I need to change the column so that the date reads as a number format. Any ideas? -- montagu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ montagu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15227 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=314927 Right click and reformat as you want then click on cell and press F2 an enter to refresh data that should do the tric -- scottymellot --------------------------------------...

Append values and remove text
Hi, I have a number of columns - some have values and some don't. I wish to append only the columns with values and have comma separators. Is there an easy way to do this? Currently, I do this in 4 steps but I'm hoping there is an easier way. 1) Column EQ has a formula to append values in columns R thru Z 2) Column ER looks at EQ and substitutes " ," with blanks. Unfortunately ER always ends with ", " PLUS if only one column has any values, then ER also starts with " ," So to fix this, I do 2 more steps: 3) Column ES looks at ER t...

Inserting an Oval image from Photoshop and text wrapping in Publisher
I have created an oval from a picture in Photoshop. The problem is that it exists on a transparent layer that is rectangular. I want to be able to take the image and insert it in a Publisher layout and have text flow around the oval. But it can't because it see's the edges of the transparent layer as the edge of a picture and wraps around the layers edge. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can crop the transparent layer off of the oval.... or perhaps some other way to insert it into Publisher so I can wrap around the oval?? I am using Photoshop CS and Publisher 2003 Thanks ...