Problem automatically inserting "This page is intentionally blank.

Hello,

We have some procedures documents and manuals that use odd-page section
breaks to separate chapters. Obviously, when a chapter ends on an odd page,
Word adds a completely blank page before the next chapter. In order to
eliminate this problem, we'd like to add a page with the mention "This page
is intentionally blank." at the end of any chapter with an odd page count.

I found a great article on the MVPs site by John McGhie:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/TblsFldsFms/InsEvnPgEndChap.htm

It works great on some of our documents, but on others there is a problem.
Some of our documents use section page numbering. I'm not 100% certain of
exactly what's happening, but I'm pretty sure that the MOD operator is
misinterpreting the page numbers. For example, if my chapter ends on page
1-5, the MOD operator seems to be calculating 1 minus 5 = -4 and dividing
that by two, which returns the result "0" instead of "1". I've also tried an
alternate method using the INT operator I found on word.tips.net:

http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001870_Automatic_Blank_Pages_at_the_End_of_a_Section.html

This didn't work either. I've been racking my brain trying to find a
solution to this. Does anyone have any suggestions (short of changing the
page-numbering scheme)?

Thanks!

BTW, please, no sick jokes on the fact that adding "This page is
intentionally blank" means the page is no longer blank... ;-)

"Felix" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have some procedures documents and manuals that use odd-page section
> breaks to separate chapters. Obviously, when a chapter ends on an odd page,
> Word adds a completely blank page before the next chapter. In order to
> eliminate this problem, we'd like to add a page with the mention "This page
> is intentionally blank." at the end of any chapter with an odd page count.
>
> I found a great article on the MVPs site by John McGhie:
>
> http://word.mvps.org/faqs/TblsFldsFms/InsEvnPgEndChap.htm
>
> It works great on some of our documents, but on others there is a problem.
> Some of our documents use section page numbering. I'm not 100% certain of
> exactly what's happening, but I'm pretty sure that the MOD operator is
> misinterpreting the page numbers. For example, if my chapter ends on page
> 1-5, the MOD operator seems to be calculating 1 minus 5 = -4 and dividing
> that by two, which returns the result "0" instead of "1". I've also tried an
> alternate method using the INT operator I found on word.tips.net:
>
> http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001870_Automatic_Blank_Pages_at_the_End_of_a_Section.html
>
> This didn't work either. I've been racking my brain trying to find a
> solution to this. Does anyone have any suggestions (short of changing the
> page-numbering scheme)?
>
> Thanks!
Forgot to mention: I'm using Word 2002 (10.6856.6856) SP3 (Office XP)

"Felix" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have some procedures documents and manuals that use odd-page section
> breaks to separate chapters. Obviously, when a chapter ends on an odd page,
> Word adds a completely blank page before the next chapter. In order to
> eliminate this problem, we'd like to add a page with the mention "This page
> is intentionally blank." at the end of any chapter with an odd page count.
>
> I found a great article on the MVPs site by John McGhie:
>
> http://word.mvps.org/faqs/TblsFldsFms/InsEvnPgEndChap.htm
>
> It works great on some of our documents, but on others there is a problem.
> Some of our documents use section page numbering. I'm not 100% certain of
> exactly what's happening, but I'm pretty sure that the MOD operator is
> misinterpreting the page numbers. For example, if my chapter ends on page
> 1-5, the MOD operator seems to be calculating 1 minus 5 = -4 and dividing
> that by two, which returns the result "0" instead of "1". I've also tried an
> alternate method using the INT operator I found on word.tips.net:
>
> http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001870_Automatic_Blank_Pages_at_the_End_of_a_Section.html
>
> This didn't work either. I've been racking my brain trying to find a
> solution to this. Does anyone have any suggestions (short of changing the
> page-numbering scheme)?
>
> Thanks!
Hi Felix,

Instead of using 'Odd Page' Section breaks, you could use normal 'Next Page' Section breaks and the following field code at the end
of the very last paragraph in each Section:
{IF{=MOD({PAGE},2)}= 1 "{QUOTE 12}¶
This page intentionally left blank¶
"}
This code will automatically insert an blank even-numbered page, with the message 'This page intentionally left blank' if the page
on which it occurs is an odd-numbered page. You can format the paragraph within the field containing the 'This page intentionally
left blank' message however you like.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message. Likewise the '¶' symbols represent standard paragraph breaks.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Felix" <Felix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE624D9E-5597-446B-B59E-CFB054C5F8AC@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> We have some procedures documents and manuals that use odd-page section
> breaks to separate chapters. Obviously, when a chapter ends on an odd page,
> Word adds a completely blank page before the next chapter. In order to
> eliminate this problem, we'd like to add a page with the mention "This page
> is intentionally blank." at the end of any chapter with an odd page count.
>
> I found a great article on the MVPs site by John McGhie:
>
> http://word.mvps.org/faqs/TblsFldsFms/InsEvnPgEndChap.htm
>
> It works great on some of our documents, but on others there is a problem.
> Some of our documents use section page numbering. I'm not 100% certain of
> exactly what's happening, but I'm pretty sure that the MOD operator is
> misinterpreting the page numbers. For example, if my chapter ends on page
> 1-5, the MOD operator seems to be calculating 1 minus 5 = -4 and dividing
> that by two, which returns the result "0" instead of "1". I've also tried an
> alternate method using the INT operator I found on word.tips.net:
>
> http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001870_Automatic_Blank_Pages_at_the_End_of_a_Section.html
>
> This didn't work either. I've been racking my brain trying to find a
> solution to this. Does anyone have any suggestions (short of changing the
> page-numbering scheme)?
>
> Thanks!

0
macropod
1/29/2010 10:41:17 PM
Felix  -

> BTW, please, no sick jokes on the fact that adding "This page is
> intentionally blank" means the page is no longer blank... ;-) <

In an attempt to take advantage of the possible "sick joke," on one
self-published draft, I used "This page is intentionally mostly blank."

-  Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

0
Mike
1/30/2010 6:24:22 AM
Thanks for the tip macropod, but odd-page sections breaks aren't the issue
here. The problem lies in the page numbering scheme I'm using. I need a
different way to count the number of pages in the document to up to that
point...

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi Felix,
>
> Instead of using 'Odd Page' Section breaks, you could use normal 'Next Page' Section breaks and the following field code at the end
> of the very last paragraph in each Section:
> {IF{=MOD({PAGE},2)}= 1 "{QUOTE 12}¶
> This page intentionally left blank¶
> "}
> This code will automatically insert an blank even-numbered page, with the message 'This page intentionally left blank' if the page
> on which it occurs is an odd-numbered page. You can format the paragraph within the field containing the 'This page intentionally
> left blank' message however you like.
>
> Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
> them from this message. Likewise the '¶' symbols represent standard paragraph breaks.
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>

> "Felix" <Felix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE624D9E-5597-446B-B59E-CFB054C5F8AC@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > We have some procedures documents and manuals that use odd-page section
> > breaks to separate chapters. Obviously, when a chapter ends on an odd page,
> > Word adds a completely blank page before the next chapter. In order to
> > eliminate this problem, we'd like to add a page with the mention "This page
> > is intentionally blank." at the end of any chapter with an odd page count.
> >
> > I found a great article on the MVPs site by John McGhie:
> >
> > http://word.mvps.org/faqs/TblsFldsFms/InsEvnPgEndChap.htm
> >
> > It works great on some of our documents, but on others there is a problem.
> > Some of our documents use section page numbering. I'm not 100% certain of
> > exactly what's happening, but I'm pretty sure that the MOD operator is
> > misinterpreting the page numbers. For example, if my chapter ends on page
> > 1-5, the MOD operator seems to be calculating 1 minus 5 = -4 and dividing
> > that by two, which returns the result "0" instead of "1". I've also tried an
> > alternate method using the INT operator I found on word.tips.net:
> >
> > http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001870_Automatic_Blank_Pages_at_the_End_of_a_Section.html
> >
> > This didn't work either. I've been racking my brain trying to find a
> > solution to this. Does anyone have any suggestions (short of changing the
> > page-numbering scheme)?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> .

Finally figured it out on my own:

I used the SECTIONPAGES field instead of the PAGE field... (as I give myself
a big pat on the back...;-).

"Felix" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have some procedures documents and manuals that use odd-page section
> breaks to separate chapters. Obviously, when a chapter ends on an odd page,
> Word adds a completely blank page before the next chapter. In order to
> eliminate this problem, we'd like to add a page with the mention "This page
> is intentionally blank." at the end of any chapter with an odd page count.
>
> I found a great article on the MVPs site by John McGhie:
>
> http://word.mvps.org/faqs/TblsFldsFms/InsEvnPgEndChap.htm
>
> It works great on some of our documents, but on others there is a problem.
> Some of our documents use section page numbering. I'm not 100% certain of
> exactly what's happening, but I'm pretty sure that the MOD operator is
> misinterpreting the page numbers. For example, if my chapter ends on page
> 1-5, the MOD operator seems to be calculating 1 minus 5 = -4 and dividing
> that by two, which returns the result "0" instead of "1". I've also tried an
> alternate method using the INT operator I found on word.tips.net:
>
> http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001870_Automatic_Blank_Pages_at_the_End_of_a_Section.html
>
> This didn't work either. I've been racking my brain trying to find a
> solution to this. Does anyone have any suggestions (short of changing the
> page-numbering scheme)?
>
> Thanks!

Spot Color problems
This time I got a logo (red and black) that was embedded as a jpg. I go to click tools/commercial press/spot color and it all turns black. OK, I save the embedded file to Photoshop. Reformat the thing as a tif file put Red 186 in then save. Go back to the job - link the new picture and it STILL comes in all black. I have to print this thing on a printing press. What am I doing wrong?? Sheesh - MS Publisher 2002. Thanks Donna <> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Donna <Donna>!"... > This time I got a logo (red and black) that was embed...

Insert copied row into a list
In Excel 2003, I can insert a row into a list by inserting a row into the spreadsheet. That is, I can right-click along the row numbers along the left, then insert a row. However, if I try to insert a copied a spreadsheet row, I get the message that I am trying to shift cells down within the list. That is, I select a row by clicking the row number on the left, press ctrl- C, then right-click another row on its row number at the left, and choose insert copied row (or maybe insert pasted row -- I'm don't have access to Excel at the moment to verify). Inserting a copied/pasted row doe...

How do I get rid of header/footer on page 2 of document?
the help menu says to click on header/footer, then toggle to new, then highlight text you want to get rid of, then hit delete key. I did that but all the header/footers throughout the document got deleted. How do I get to keep only the header/footer on page 1? TIA Fay Please see reply to your previous duplicate question. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Fay Zeller" <fayzee@optonline.net> wrote in message news:4b16f1f1$0$31281$607ed4bc@cv.net... > the help menu says to click...

tracking changes with insert comment
Hi Again all, second time poster here. I was wondering if anyone knows of away to programatically Insert Comment for a certain range of cells into that cell when the value changes so that the comment Will read: "Old Value was:###" Thanks again!! PS All the cells have conditional formatting (don't know if that makes a difference) Consider a non VBA method using the Tools-->Track Changes feature. It shares the workbook, but if it's on your network drive or local hard drive no one should be able to open it. You can also restrict who views it if others will have access to i...

inserting blank rows in worksheet
I have several worksheets that have over 500 lines of data. I need to separate in line with a blank line. How do I do this using vb without doing it manually? chris smith pretended : > I have several worksheets that have over 500 lines of data. I need to > separate in line with a blank line. How do I do this using vb without doing > it manually? Answered in your previous post (8/18) -- Garry Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc also add www.aioe.org to you signature. | Garry | ...

Solver Problem
Hopefully, I have posted this in the right place . . . . I have a 2 page spreadheet. Page 1 contains data (customers, depots and locations) and a summary of the results Page 2 contains all the messy calculations (essentially calc cost of delivering to a number customers, each customer can be delivered to from a number of depots, pick a the chepaest depot for each customer, all up the total cost for all customers) I want to pick locations for the depots so that the total cost is smallest. So I tell it to use only one depot and ask solver to change the coordinates to minimise total cost.. Work...

repeating custom headers on multiple pages
H I apologize in advance for such a stupid question but i have searched every help file and cant find any mention I have a workbook with 5 sheets and i want the same custom heading to print on each sheet I tried selecting all sheets going into print preview and adding the header but it only prints on the first page my brain refuses to believe that i actually have to go to each sheet and retype the header and footer please tell me i am wrong and also how i can accomplish this task ti Jeff Jeff, Using Headers and Footers should repeat the header on every page. Care to contact me and discuss i...

automatic capital letters
For Office 2007: Whenever I type a period, the next letter is always capitalized. How do I disable this feature? Thanks. WORD 2007 Office Button (top left hand corner). Word Options (lower right hand corner). Proofing (on the left hand side), then, on the right hand side, towards the top click on AutoCorrect Options . . . AutoCorrect: English (Your Area) window should launch. AutoCorrect tab / Capitalize first letter of sentences - turn this off (remove tick / check from field). OK. OK. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. &qu...

How do I stop from automatically scrolling to the right?
This just started outa the blue. New and existing worksheets scroll all the way to the furthest point to the right. Any pop up windows I type in the letters disappear to the left. sounds like you have a key stuck on your keyboard. "Tom" wrote: > This just started outa the blue. > New and existing worksheets scroll all the way to the furthest point to > the right. > Any pop up windows I type in the letters disappear to the left. I tried that line of thought, and have checked the keys and wireless mouse to see if that needed a reboot....very oddddd. I had it hap...

Business Portal page modification
I created a new page in business portal with 3 columns and included the "link" webpart in the 3 columns, the idea being that I can define links to various documents on my network in these 3 columns. The issue is that the 3 columns are identical. If I define a link in column 1, the link shows up in columns 2 and 3. I see there with shared document webpart too. What can I do so that I can define different documents in each of the columns. Hi Jack, Personally, I would create three separate document libraries and then specify those webparts for each of the three columns of y...

Mapping Cutom Picklist Problems
I am having a problem mapping a custom picklist. I created a custom attribute called New_Lender in three entities Opportunity, Quote, & Orders. I mapped these in several ways. From "Opportunity to Quote", "Quote to Order" and "Opportunity to Order". When I create an opportunity and select the appropriate lender from the picklist and continue up the process to quote or order the lender picklist does not map. I already have created other pick lists in this same way and they behave ok. I checked to see that the read only integers for the picklist matched up betwe...

Help with Exchange 5.5 Queue problem
Okay, first off, I inherited this Exchange server. It has been over 5 years since I last touched one of these. Client noticed that no e-mails were being sent out. I checked the IMC queues and they were packed full of email going to .tw, .fr, .de, etc. Disconnected the ethernet cable from the back of the box. Ran the much needed virus check and got rid of 225 Netsky and Beagle viruses. Reran a few times just to be on the safe side - server is clean (latest norton updates). And made sure that relaying was also turned off - just for fun. Cleaned out the queues (deleted the contents of the ...

Pasting from Web Pages into Word 2003 is broken
I had a support call come in today, and can't work it out at all. Now I see that I have the same issue! But not everybody here has this issue. We all run the same SOE, with Office 2003, but about 50% of users seem to be experiencing thi issue. We can't copy any text from web sites (even just one word or a few characters) and paste it into Word 2003. The paste option appears on the right-click menu, but it doesn't do anything. If I choose "Paste Special" then "Unformatted Text" then the text appears without formatting. Paste is working fine into...

E-Mail-Router Problem
CRM-Version 3 RTM (german) We have the problem, that while trying to route incomming e-mails to CRM the following soap-error-messsage in the event-viewer appears as mentioned below. We created an dissabled account ("CRMRouter") on AD for the e-mail-Router and activated the "CRMMailEnabled"-attribute. After installing the Router on the exchange-server we used the rule-deployment-assistant to create the rule for copying the mails, which are send to an specific user to the CRMRouter-account. Then the router should take this mails and create activities in CRM. But we...

OL2002 Folder refresh problem
Hi all, I already posted this request, now I try to be more specific. I've 2 pc with MSOffice 2002 sp2 (I done Office Update). Here, when new mail arrives in inbox, I don't see "New mail message" alert until I click somewhere in OL folder treeview. As the same, if I send a mail, I see my message in Outbox even if mail is already delivered. When I click somewhere in treeview my mail goes in "Sent items". Note: Mail server has MSExchange 2000 sp3. Clients with OL2000 or OL2002 SP1 have no problems. -- Giulio Searching and searching and searching... I found s...

Inserting and Tracking Missing Sequence
I have some data which follows this pattern 1-p 1 3 3-e 3 3 4-d 4 2 6-f 4 I need a macro that will recognize that numbers 2 and 5 is missing, insert blank rows in their positions, as well as the appropriate value from a list (say, "2-g" and "5-c"), and then create a list on the same spreadhseet of each value which is inserted. furthermore, it needs to recognize whether the values are absent for both columns or only for one. If that isn't complicated enough, there are some rows which will always be missing ("2-g" in this example),...

Automatic Cell Re-sizing
I have created a spreadsheet that is to be completed by several people. Some of the cells in the spreadsheet are protected appart rom the ones to be completed by the users. On those cells 'Wrap Text' is enabled, is it possible to make those cells re-size automatically when they type to much text to fit in the viewable area ? Any help would be much appreciated.... Thanks Tappie If you're saying that you have unlocked cells with Wrap Text set then, as long as they are not merged cells and you haven't manually adjusted the cell's row height, their row heights sh...

Exchange 5.5: License problem stopping outgoing mail for new users. (urgent)
Hi, We have an Exchange 5.5 mailserver on 2000Server, and a 2003 server as main server, both are in the Active Dir and the mailserver has been DCPromo:ed. Problem: I activated the licensing service on the servers a while ago, and since then the last added user, and any user I add, cannot send mail externally. Internal mail sends fine, but anything external comes back as "Message delivery failed due to a limitation in the system". (translated from Swedish) When I look at the licenses for Exchange, at the 2003- server, I see 116 CALs. We use about 50 (per seat). When I look a...

Exchange 2007 problem replying or forwarding certain emails through OWA
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01CB0D66.C0DA2C20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable This is a weird one, hoping for some guidance. I have a strictly OWA user reporting issues trying to forward/reply = certain emails that are in his Sent Items folder. I'm able to duplicate = the issue here from a completely different PC. The vast majority of = emails seem fine, but when replying/forwarding some of the emails OWA = triggers an error. All emails that I can find to trig...

Problem with keyboard input being locked in a form
I have a *very* weird problem (Access 97) that first developed sporadically a couple of days ago while working, and that now happens all the time. The symptom is this: When I try to edit the controls on the form, keyboard input is ignored. It's not the keyboard, because in the Immediate Window I can still type. It's not a record lock, because I can open the table and edit the record without problems. The controls are not locked if I check the .Locked property in the Immediate window. The underlying recordsource is not uneditable because I can change values in the underlying ...

Cannot automatically resolve users in Outlook
Hi everyone, this is a weird one and thats why I post it twice. I currently moved 60 users from the Users folder to a OU in order to apply a GPO to them. Out of the 60 , when I try to resolve the username in the email client for 5 of them (by Ctrl +K or check names) I fail to resolve. Who can tell me what is not replicating or not viewing correctly as I need to find a solution pretty quickly. Many thanks, Johnny pls manual replica your all DC GC and try again -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Johnny Noitargim" <jm@nospamplease.com> ���g��l��s�D :417d48d7$0$43598$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-re...

Grouping/ungrouging problem
I have several rows which give me the totals of information in other sheets. Let's put it graphically: This is my main sheet: _____________________________________ : Type 1 Type 2 : Category A 50 40 : Category B 20 10 : -------------------- : TOTAL 70 50 : :____________/ Sheet 1 - Totals \____________ The information of the different categories come from sheets like this: _____________________________________ : Date Type 1 Type 2 : xx/xx/xx 15 ...

Work Order Partial Close Problem
Does anyone know of a way to close a partial Work Order where the deposit is not equal to the full amount. For example- Customer comes in and orders 4 pieces of furniture for $1000 and pays deposit of $600. 3 pieces we have in stock and deliver them to customer, 1 piece out standing on Purchase Order 10 week delivery. 3 pieces delivered retail for $600 and we would like to close them off the Work Order. If the Order had a deposit for the full amount no problem. As POS is, it will not let you do a Partial Pick Up if the order is not paid in full. Thanks in advance, Edward Jensen ...

export problems for Excel
Hi all, Some of our users experience problems with exports to MS Excel. The thing is that currencies are not recognized by Excel as such, e.g. the Est. Revenue (from the Opportunity view) column is displayed there as text. Trying to resolve this by changing the format for the column in Excel actually doesn't help, as the figures e.g. can still not be used for formulas. Is this fixed by changing general settings in Excel? Can someone tell what settings? Thank you for replying, Basman What version of Excel are your users running? I haven't been able to recreate this. When I expor...

Problem in saving data in the customized case entity
Hi all, We have a Customized Case Entity in CRM 3.0 about a Patient ,with each case having detailed information like history,insurance,case contacts,Schedules etc On Visit Schedules, we have attributes like order shipped date and fax order received etc. when I enter the shipped date and save it the modified by field has the System account instead of the user who is modifying. We have to reassign the system user to the User who is actually modifying it manually.This happens for all the users in CRM. Can anyone guess where the problem could be? Thanks Karthik Generally, the SYSTEM us...