Numbered Procedural Steps Alignment

I am a technical writer who uses Word a lot to write user documentation. I
recently upgraded to Office 2007, and there are several things that I find
are very unfriendly for writing procedures.

The procedural template I use for one company uses Arial 11 pt font for the
document content, and Arial 14 pt for the number of the steps, as well as
call out on the screen images. The initial indent level for the procedures is
to have the number at 0 left margin and the content that follows it indented
to .25". This works great for 1 - 9, but when I get to double-digit numbers,
it places a .25" tab after the number and susequent lines of text do not
align with the new indent.

Not sure if this will show up in the blog correctly, but here is an example
of what it looks like:

9.  Click the Submit button to submit the new record and continue to the
     of the document.
10.     Enter the yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada
yada
   yada yada yada yada.

All numbers should be aligned at the left margin and all content should
begin at the same indent.

I can't seem to fix it, regardless of what settings I change. I've tried
changing the tab, using a space instead of a tab, creating a new numbered
list type, updating the style, changing the indents...... I can "fool" it by
changing the numbering from left alignment to right, then adding an indent to
the number of .25", but it's still not right.... I want to go back to Word
2003!!!

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NumberAlignment2007.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Bubba MaGrew" <BubbaMaGrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a technical writer who uses Word a lot to write user documentation. I
> recently upgraded to Office 2007, and there are several things that I find
> are very unfriendly for writing procedures.
>
> The procedural template I use for one company uses Arial 11 pt font for
> the
> document content, and Arial 14 pt for the number of the steps, as well as
> call out on the screen images. The initial indent level for the procedures
> is
> to have the number at 0 left margin and the content that follows it
> indented
> to .25". This works great for 1 - 9, but when I get to double-digit
> numbers,
> it places a .25" tab after the number and susequent lines of text do not
> align with the new indent.
>
> Not sure if this will show up in the blog correctly, but here is an
> example
> of what it looks like:
>
> 9.  Click the Submit button to submit the new record and continue to the
>     of the document.
> 10.     Enter the yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada
> yada
>   yada yada yada yada.
>
> All numbers should be aligned at the left margin and all content should
> begin at the same indent.
>
> I can't seem to fix it, regardless of what settings I change. I've tried
> changing the tab, using a space instead of a tab, creating a new numbered
> list type, updating the style, changing the indents...... I can "fool" it
> by
> changing the numbering from left alignment to right, then adding an indent
> the number of .25", but it's still not right.... I want to go back to Word
> 2003!!!

0
Suzanne

numbering #4
Is there any system of 'outline numbering' in Excel? Hope i'm not asking for too much! -- Dr. Sachin Wagh MBBS, DHA, DPH Nothing as easy as the outlining within MSWord. Typing the numbers is one way (not very appealing). Using a formula based on the values in the other cells may work--if you can pickout something that would indicate the level--not very nice, either. Dr. Sachin Wagh wrote: > > Is there any system of 'outline numbering' in Excel? Hope i'm not asking for > too much! > -- > Dr. Sachin Wagh > MBBS, DHA, DPH -- Dave Peterson ...

Number Format Problem
I am importing data from a program at work. The data come in in th format of ###@##(three numbers, a letter, and then 2 more numbers). The problem is that when a code such as 123E04 is imported, exce thinks it means 1.23E+04. This is a problem becasue the data I need i the E04 part. (I use the RIGHT(cell,3) formula to get the portion want.) Any ideas on how to get the number in the format I want? have tried changing the cell characteristics, and all kinds of stuff. Thank -- kola556 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kola5567's Profile: http://...

random number generator
hi there i don't know if this is the right section, however I was wondering is there some vba or formulae to generate random numbers in a certain range I would be very greatful if you can help me Thanks Owen -- manclad ------------------------------------------------------------------------ manclad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30016 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497074 I like J.E. McGimpsey's =RandInt(). http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/randint.html manclad wrote: > > hi there ...

Need trailing zeroes to show for range of numbers....
The file I pulled into Excel for some reason cut off 2 trailing zeroes, no matter how I format it they will not show up. There are thousands of them and I can't see typing in each one over just to get two zeroes on the end. Does anyone know of a way to format this so they will show up? I have searched Microsoft online with no help. Not too much information, but try this (after saving your workbook!) In an empty cell enter the numner 100. Edit>Copy Select your data Edit>Paste Special, check Multiply -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Sueshe" &...

count the number of new lows within a range of cells
Hello, Is there a formula or method to count the number of new lows within a range of cells? For example, the following are in col A rows 5 to 14. Within this set a new low has been reached 3 times- (96,95,94). What I would like is a formula or macro that that would produce the results - 3. There are about 9000 rows of data and I am looking for "count of new lows within the preceding 10 rows" on a rolling basis. Thanks. 100 101 96 97 98 97 95 97 94 95 Version 1: Use this if the 9000 or so rows don't have blanks in them. In this version you just need to select the first cel...

Formula reads date as number
I have a formula that reads a list of dates in cells K5 through K20 an compares these dates to 1 date in cell M3. Cell M3 shows a date bu when I run the evaluate formula auditing tool on the formula, M3 date shows as a number, thus the formula fails. Any hel -- pete576 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pete5761's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2961 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49423 Dates are stored as number of days since 1-1-1900. So today (dec 16,2005) is stored as...

maximum number of indexes per SQL table that Access (jet) can deal with?
why is there a maximum number of indexes per SQL table that Access (jet) can deal with? is it really the count of indexes + statistics? I've seen plenty of documentation that states that typically DSS systems have twice as much index space as data space.. So I don't think that it's a case of 'over-indexing' I'm just tired of a crippled Jet front end and other people making me 'temporarily drop my indexes' so that they can link to my tables using Jet. has this bug gone away with Access 2007? Is it going away with Access 2010? ...

How to open RecordSet with Stored Procedures (ODBC, VC++)
Hi I'm using ODBC and VC++. My stored procedure has parameters like @pstr VarChar(100), @pVal1 numeric(9), @pVal2 numeric(9) and it returns a recordset. In my code CString strSP; strSP.Format("{call MySp('%s','%d','%d')}", str1, (long)Val1, (long)Val2); CMyRecorSet rs(m_db); try { rs.Open(CRecordset::snapshot,strSP); } catch(CDBException * pDB) { } I'm getting exception. Cannot covert datatype varchar to numeric. Why is this happening? Do i need to call SQLBindParameters? If yes, how to call it. Any sample code? Thanks in advance. Remove the apos...

Restart numbering ater a set number of rows
I have an excel spreadsheet with 4 columns. the first two columns contains numbers which will never change the third column starts off with 0 (zero) and is repeated for 255 rows then on the 256 row it needs to change to 1 (so basically increment by 1 every 255 rows) the fourth column starts at 0 (zero) and counts up to 255 but then needs to reset it self back to 0 on the 256 row. Help Please!!!!!:confused: ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way: I...

controling excel from vba access and using sub procedures
Hi All, I'm having trouble getting my code to work using sub procedures in my vba code, this only happens when i am interacting with excel. I've tried to copy all the dims and defs from the calling procedure but to no avail at this time. sample code below. Dim strPath As String Dim rst As DAO.Recordset Dim Excel_Application As Excel.Application Dim Excel_Workbook As Excel.Workbook Dim Current_Worksheet As Excel.Worksheet Dim Data_Range Dim Worksheet_Name Dim db As Database Dim rs As Recordset D_now = Format(Date, "dd-mm-yy") ' Formated to use as part of fi...

Adding an apostrophe to a column of numbers
Hello, I need to add an apostrophe to each cell in a long column of numbers. I do not want to format them as text or format them as custom - our system requires the apostrophe at the beginning of the cell. My question is - is there a way to format one cell with the apostrophe and then copy that apostrophe down to the other cells?? or can someone write me something that will allow me to do it quickly? I want to avoid having to go into each cell and put the apostrophe in! Thank you in advance.... One way. Change 9 to your column Sub addapostophe() mc = 9 'column I For i = ...

How do I insert a specific number in a gantt bar
Hi I,m attempting to insert a specific number into a gantt bar or edit default text in the format box. Any body help? Hi GarryB, I'm not sure I understand completely what you are trying to do. I'm guessing edit the information which shows next to the bars on the Gantt chart? Insert a custom field into the table through Insert > Column and pick on of the text columns. Enter the value you want to show. Then Format > Bar Styles. Select the bar type and on the Text tab, select the custom field. I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Pr...

Mutliple Page Number sets
I'm setting up a book to go out to short run press. Using publisher because I get it through license for super cheap, so it didn't make sense to purchase an expensive publishing suite. But I want to do some things with the page numbers that I can't figure out to do. I want and intro and foreword to be in roman numerals, and then the main body of the text to have regular page numbers. What I really can't figure out though, is how to get the page numbers to start on "1" with the first page (currently starting on 11. I have Master Sheets applies to the differ...

From VBA: How to select a column by column number instead of letter? #2
I'm in MS Access and don't know from column letters - all my constants are in terms of column number. I'd like to select, say, column number 7 and hide it.... ? -- PeteCresswell Gord and I sent you a macro solution for EXCEL as this is an Excel ng. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:uch701tveuot081n0q0h9rpq1r0c24v1sc@4ax.com... > I'm in MS Access and don't know from column letters - all my constants are in > terms of column number. > > I'd like to select, say, column number...

CRM should allow auto numbering of the products
---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9c8e0ba6-f37a-4fc1-84fd-ff5b578e2c76&dg=microsoft.public.crm ...

PO next number changes randomly GP10
Hello, The company I currently work for has been seeing the next PO number being changed in the purchase order processing screen. This occurs randomly. To try to determine the cause of this, I have turned on the activity tracking as well as sql triggers on the pop40100 table. Has anyone else seen this before or have any suggestions on how to determine what is causing this to change? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, JC Hi JC when you say it is changing what do mean? I believe that the PO numbers will go back and fill in for PO's that have been deleted. I.E. i...

create a cell that accumulates, numbers from another cell...
I need to know how to have a entery cell that can send number values to a cell that accumilates there sum .the entries in the entery cell can be changed and the recieving cell just keeps adding up. The entry cell can be left blank and the sum remains in recieving cell. -- Thanks sombull http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "sombull" <sombull@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41021B44-363C-418C-9A4F-6CD126431698@microsoft.com... > I need to know how to have a entery cell that can send number values to a > cell ...

OWA 2003 number of emails viewable
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew where to set the number of viewable emails in OWA? By default it does not allow very many to be displayed. Thanks, Greg It's 25 by default. In OWA, click the Options button and then check the 'Messaging Options' section. There's an option called 'Number of items to display per page'. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:107801c47b40$76dd3b30$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > I...

A step backwards? Bank no longer supports MS Money?!
I'm using Microsoft Money 2006 for a while, and all of my checking/savings accounts from my primary bank have updated automatically. However, the bank recently updated it's online banking system, and at the same time broken the compatibility with Money. I spoke with customer support and they said that statements must now be downloaded and manually imported into Money! I was just beginning to truly get the hang of Money and a lot of its features, and now my bank goes and disables the compatibility! I have tried to switch to Quicken, but that doesn't work either. I'm sure I can ...

Lowest number excluding zero
I have five columns for each vendor and I am trying to determine who has the lowest price out of the seven vendors. The data is not in an array. The critical data would be in i.e. cells: T20, Z20, AF20, AL20, AQ20 and AV20. I want to calculate the lowest price excluding zero out of those cells. I experimented by putting numbers into B4, C5, D6 and E7 I used Insert | Name | Define (in XL 2003) to define MYDATA to refer to =Sheet1!$B$4,Sheet1!$C$5,Sheet1!$D$6,Sheet1!$E$7 In XL 2007 use Formulas | Define names | Define Name Then In a cell I typed =MIN(mydata) and it returned the low...

Form of phone numbers in contact list
I am using Blackberry's Desktop Software to syncronize with my MS Outlook Contacts list. The onboard caller-id function of the phone that is supposed to correlate the incoming phone number to a name of a contact (should the number be in my contacts list) isn't working. According to help from Blackberry the problem is the "form" of the numbers as they're being loaded on the Blackberry from MS Outlook. Specifically, apparently the fact that the numbers are stored in the form of (###) ###-#### instead of something like ###-###-#### is keeping the phone from realizi...

What is the next step after mailbox mig 03 to 03 different domains
Running 03srv and Exc03 in both domains and I am not sure what needs to be done in source domain after the mailbox move to the target. ...

change a text format to number format
I need to link to someone elses table but they have used a different format type for a field called ACCOUNT. I am a beginner and do not know how to write SQL but I was wondering if it is possible to use an update query to change a text field in this situation into a number format. I am trying to run a mismatch query on this table with another table in my database that has a field called ACCOUNT but my table has a number format. I am trying to come up with a list of ACCOUNT numbers that are common in both tables. Thank you in advance for any direction you can provide Let...

number to words
Is there a way in excell to change a number in a cell to a word format? For example, the number 1000 will changed to one thousand pesos. Hi Try doing a Google search and you'll find many macros/procedures to convert numbers to text. Below a short list for this topic: MS Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;213360 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;140704& Free Addin MOREFUNC-DLL which includes a UDF for this task (for various languages): http://longre.free.fr/english/ or have a look at http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfil...

Changes to Autofill Numbering
Hi, I have a database that has a key field that is a unique number, where records are added, this field increments the number by one. There are several thousand records with that run from 1 to 9654 albeit many of the records have been deleted and thus there are huge gaps in the number. We have a requirement to renumber the existing records from 1 to 2010 (2010 is the number of live records) but because the table that the number is held is linked to other tables on the field and Autofill is set in the properties, we don't appear to have a means to alter the numbering. Any ideas w...