Make it easy to create a customize style or theme set in Word 07

We have used Word since it's first Windows version and routinely use styles
and other custom elements to achieve our desired company look and feel.
While the new interface in 07 makes it easy to select various MS designed
preset styles, it seems to make the process of creating one company
customized style that would be reflected in one Normal.dot for all to use
maddeningly difficult to achieve.  For example, determining how to make a
change and save it to the Normal.dot is clear in some places and very
difficult to figure out how to do elsewhere.  I believe it would help if
there were more in this upgrade that helps the experienced user get back to
the high level formatting ability they had before, instead of optimizing
entirely for newbies alone.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=0568b498-0c6c-475e-aa0b-c3bf24cecb6a&dg=microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The normal template for Word 2007 is normal.dotm. You cannot share the
Normal.dot(m) file among multiple users in Word
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811468 so a better option would be to
create a document template (or templates) containing the styles you need for
your company documents and train the users to use the company document
templates.

If you click Alt + Ctrl + Shift + S (or the arrow bottom right of the styles
group on the home tab), the styles dialog will open from which you can
modify or create styles. If you want the new/modified styles to be available
for all documents, check the box on the style modify/create dialog "New
documents based on this template" and save the template when prompted.

Note also that you can still use your Word 2003 document templates in Word
2007 with few exceptions.

Please note also that Word 2007 is Word 12 and not Word 07. Word 07 is Word
95.
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Jcam wrote:
> We have used Word since it's first Windows version and routinely use
> styles and other custom elements to achieve our desired company look
> and feel. While the new interface in 07 makes it easy to select
> various MS designed preset styles, it seems to make the process of
> creating one company customized style that would be reflected in one
> Normal.dot for all to use maddeningly difficult to achieve.  For
> example, determining how to make a change and save it to the
> Normal.dot is clear in some places and very difficult to figure out
> how to do elsewhere.  I believe it would help if there were more in
> this upgrade that helps the experienced user get back to the high
> level formatting ability they had before, instead of optimizing
> entirely for newbies alone.
>
> ----------------
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
> the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
> button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
> Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=0568b498-0c6c-475e-aa0b-c3bf24cecb6a&dg=microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

0
Graham

How can I change default setting in Office start-up?
I need to change the default setting on my Word, Excel and PPT programs (MS Office 2004) so when they open they aren't at, for example, Word 11.3.0, rather at Word 11.2.3. I mac OSX, a G5. When I do a control click on any of those programs, go to "get info" and then choose the 11.2.3 that I want to open with, it does it no problem. When I click "change all" it doesn't change the default -- the 11.3.0 is always the default despite that I'm trying to change all. How do I fix this? BTW this whole problem started when someone at the genius bar deleted one of the...

Word won't quit
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Just installed Office 2008 for Mac, ran software update and installed version 12.2.3 -- Running OSX 10.6.2 on a MacBook Pro. <br> Word opens and seems to be working well, but when asked to Quit it gives an error message -- &quot;A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted and not defective. (Normal.dotm)&quot; -- When I click OK, I get a chance to report the problem. Then as long as I uncheck the option to recover my work and restart, it wil...

How do I create a Cost Volume Profit Graph in Excel?
I was wondering if I could get some help on how to create a CVP graph in Excel 2007. A cost volume profit shows how costs, revenues, and profits vary with volume (sales). You can either plot total cost, or fixed and variable costs, which add up to total costs. One way to show this is to make a break-even chart. Put unit sales (number of items sold) in the first column, fixed costs in the second (which are a constant), variable costs in the third column (these are typically a straight line through zero), and in the fourth insert formulas that sum fixed and variable costs to make total ...

Customer Loyalty Scheme
Hi, We would like to setup a loyalty scheme within our store. I have read about setting up Customer Accounts and the pricing brackets you can enter; A, B, C, D. I have a few questions below which I would like to know the answers too if anybody knows: 1. Using this method, does the customer account number have to be entered prior to the transaction? 2. When the account information is entered, does the screen on the till return to the normal sales entry screen or do you have to push/tap a custom button to then enter the transactions 3. Are there any changes needed to relate a database t...

How do I make two lines in one cell?
since you cant hit enter to make 2 lines in one cell how do you do it? Press alt + enter together. It's easy when you know how! :-) Alan P. "kpeters" <kpeters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAEFD0EB-26F1-4AAB-9D4F-86DF4E013B9F@microsoft.com... > since you cant hit enter to make 2 lines in one cell how do you do it? if you mean that you want to add more text into the cell, then increase the row height and "wrap the text" "kpeters" <kpeters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAEFD0EB-26F1-4AAB-9D4F-86DF...

Published 2000 pictures make file sizes too big
I have scanned pictures using Microsoft Photo/Draw. The pictures are around 250 KB but when I put them in my Published document, the file grows to 14,000KB. I can't email them or save them on a floppy. How can I get this file size down You may have to convert the file to a pdf format. Publisher just make humongous files. You have several choices when it comes to a pdf converter program from freebees to Adobe Acrobat. The later is on the spendy side and the freebees may disappoint you. My choice after comparing 5 pdf converter programs was PDF-XChange, a very nice commercial produc...

Creating a chart of overlaid area circles?
Can anyone help? I am trying to create a chart that contrasts size by laying 3 different sized circles on top of each other (so it will basically look like a shooting target). I know i can represent this data in other ways but this will have greatest impact for the purpose. Can Excel do this? And if so, how? - Please bear in mind I am not very techy so the simpler the better! Thanks very much Hi, You could use a bubble chart. That takes 3 parameters x,y and size. keep the x and y constant and adjust the size. Cheers Andy m.nutt1 wrote: > Can anyone help? > > I am trying to...

basic question....create array
I searching the web to find how to create an array of any type from .net. I found this way: $nelement= 20 $array = new-object SomeType[] $nelement I know that $nelements is the number of elements in the array but.....when I read Get-help about_arrays I don't find any reference to that argument.......where is the documentation for that way of array creation? the only way that I found in the help is [SomType[]] $array = (element1,element2,...$elementN) but for that I need the elements already, and I don't have it..........I just need and empty array of some type. -- Mi...

Creating one trendline for multiple series
Hi, I have a document withfour different series and these are all plotted onto one curve. I want a trendline that fits all four series of data onto one trendline. I don't want to create a new series with all of the data and then fit a trendline to that. Is there any way I can just fit one to all four sets of data? Thanks > I don't want to create a new series with all of the data and then fit a > trendline to that. Is there any way I can just fit one to all four sets of > data? Unfortunately this is how it has to be done. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel...

Inventory adjustment creates two journal entries
I was tracking the results of an inventory adjustment transaction when I discovered the system broke the resulting entry to the G/L into two, separate journal entries. The adjustment transaction (# 0000000009826) contained 123 lines; two journal entries were output by GP. The first entry had the following reference information: Journal Entry #: 499514 Source Document: IVADJ Audit Trail Code: GLTRX00021619 Reference: Transaction Entry Orig Audit Trail Code: IVADJ00001482 The second journal entry had the following information: Journal Entry #: 499515 Source Document: GJ Audit Trail Code...

Make field Invisible/Visable
I am trying to make a field visible (EmpEndDate) if the EmployeeStatus field is Inactive. I would like it to be invisible if the field is active or null. I have read other posts but still need some assistance. I have the below code so far but it is not working quite right. When I change one record, they all change so I dont know if I need to incude the ID (AutoNumber) in the code? Private Sub EmployeeStatus_AfterUpdate() If Me.EmployeeStatus = "Inactive" Then Me.EmpEndDate.Visible = True Else Me.EmployeeStatus = "Active" Me.EmpEndDate.Visible = False ...

creating text box dynamically in ms access
can any body please tell me the code to create text boxes dynamically or else please give me the link abt that information Thanq See help on CreateControl In general, this is only useful if you are creating some kind of wizard form that creates whole forms for end users. You don't want to be creating text boxes on the fly for a normal form. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "ravindar thati" <ravindarjobs@gmail.com> wrote in mes...

Using icon sets with relative references
I am using Excel 2007 in the Vista OS. I am trying to use conditional formatting with an icon set in a column but Excel will not allow relative references. Example: A1=10 min B1=20 max C1=30 oh D1=a formula { =IF(C1=0,B1,(B1-C1)) } The condtional formatting of D1 would be: if the value showing in D1 is >B1 the cell would show a red 'X', if the value showing in D1 is <A1 the cell would show a green 'check mark', and if the value showing in D1 is between the values in A1 and B1 it would show a yellow 'exclamation point'. I can get the D1 ...

2 different types of data sets displayed on 1 graph
I have a district that I wish to show performance (sales)in the months from July to November and comapred this with 2004 and 2005. Now on top of this I want to display on the same graph a second variable say number of customers for each month and each year, in order to bring some greater relevance to the static bar graphs that I propose doing for the first part. So I have been assisted on this discussion group to have a bar graph that is set up with the months as rows and the 2004 and 2005 as columns for the sales data BUT how do I now display the second variable 'number of customer...

Setting column width on different computers
I have a program which checks workbooks and corrects those errors which it can correct. One check is on the column widths: Column A should be 1.43 characters wide and column G should be 8.86 characters wide. This works fine on 99% of the computers where it is used but we have one or two where if you change the width of column A to 1.43 it goes to 1.44, and for column G if you set it to 8.86 it goes to 8.89. This means that the next time the check is run, the workbook is deemed a failure. The difference appears to be the screen resolution: on the computers where it works the...

creating contacts from Account
>From within an account, if I try to create a new contact by clicking on the Contact button>new contact, populate the required fields, in this case just the last name seems required (in Red), the first name recommended (in Blue), and hit save, I get the following: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The parameter is incorrect. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it ori...

EXCEL Decimal changes during WORD Merge
Why does Excel change 16 cents into .1599999 in a merge process Have not had this problem until we upgraded to 2003????? I have tried different cell formats in Excel Number - currency - accounting - custom - all with the 2 decimal places text - but rather not lose numeric functions (am re-entering figures by hand and using text format today to finish merged letters - - ugghhh!) Help? I have had a similar problem in previous versions of Excel as well, not just Office 2003. Is the data in Excel coming from an outside source like a non Microsoft database query? I run into this probl...

BS_OWNERDRAW style
I was directed in this group how to paint a push button inside my dialog. Following this advise I managed to do so only if its a button that was created in real time. Than I modifed the style into a BS_OWNERDRAW and it worked. I always failed if it was a static button that was added to the dialog with the garphic editor. I tryed also to modify the style with the properties, to owner draw, but I always failed inside an assertion test in the MFC. Can soemone clarify that? Thanks in advance Vinter. Vinter wrote: >I was directed in this group how to paint a push button inside my dialog...

How can i create a 2-D stacked column within a 4 series stock char
I am trying to create an excel chart that combines the features of a 100% 2-D stacked column (for comparison of 2 variables) and the 4 series stock chart. I would desire to have my ideal chart being a 5-series stock chart with the data variables arranged as 'Volume1-Volume2 (stacked up as in 2-D column)-High-Low-Close'. This is slightly different from the current 5-series stock chart available in the excel spreadsheet. Can anybody help please? Thank you. Sincerely, Samuel See http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html http://peltiertech.com/Utility/ClusterStackU...

access 2007 08-25-07
How do you remove the listings of databases that show under "Open Recent Datbases", on the opening screen? The files no longer exist. You can try, if your permissions are adequate, editing the registry and removing the entries. Try the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Settings\MRU -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Alan" <almkay@comcast.net> wrote in message news:YJadnbrdTMMXG03bnZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@comcast.com... > How do you remove the listings of da...

SMTP Virtual Server setting
Can someone confirm this? Leavening the “limit message size to (KB)” box unchecked on Default SMTP Virtual Server; means that it will use Global settings value. If not what does it mean to leave this box unchecked. -- Nawar Aljanabi MCSE NT/2000/2003,MCSA 2003 +M,CCNA On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:55:24 -0800, "Nawar75" <Nawar75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can someone confirm this? > >Leavening the �limit message size to (KB)� box unchecked on Default SMTP >Virtual Server; means that it will use Global settings value. >If not what does it mean to leave th...

Advanced customization of charts?
Hello I'm looking for a way to customize an excelchart. There are two things I would like to do: 1) Make a combination chart that combinates line with stacked-column 2) Be able to "manually" select which series that should use either type (line or stacked-column) Kind regards Marcus Lots of charting info here http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Marcus Ahlb�ck" <MarcusAhlbck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEED193F-2719-442D-8549-3F2002E751F2@microsoft.com... > He...

Identify which MS styles Modified ?
Is it correct that in Word 2008 that one cannot identify which of the MS built-in styles the user has modified? In other words, it is either All Styles or User Defined and the User Defined will not include those modified? Thanks. -- Norm If you are able to say "Which user" you are interested in, in "Which document" and "modified from what?" then you can identify them easily with a piece of AppleScript (or VBA in the earlier versions). For any style, whether it be default, built-in, or custom. Without those three pieces of information, the a...

Reporting security settings
Hi all, Is there a way, via GP or SQL, to report on user access at the menu level. In other words what a user has access to in the menu / submenu dropdowns. We're working with GP 8.0 and the only report I can get, including exporting XML out of Advanced Security, is too detailed. There must be some reporting 3rd party product or transact SQL script or table joins I can use to get this information. The user reporting straight of GP isn't too flexible. Thanks, -- Jim Bourque Fastpath has a product that should work for what you need. www.gofastpath.com Mark On Dec 14, 10...

Word 2008 visual display is outdated.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I bought this mac last year in august for college. Im not sure what kind of processor it has, but it's the macbook pro. We got the new microsoft, and everything has been fine with it - absolutely no problems. However, I noticed that my visual set up, like what it actually looks like when it is opened, looks like the old version. The new version - which I've used at home and on my home computer, which I used the exact SAME microsoft package for - is not on my mac. The one with the brighter colors and the new tabs and different ...