line spacing vs paragraph spacing

I understand paragraph spacing. When i write I like to delineate points by
using short sentences within a paragraph. Like the old typewriter carriage
return - 1 for line, two for paragraph.
So how do i set up a line return key so it maintains the same spacing as if
word automatically wrapped?
I'm using 2007.
thanks

One way I've worked around is to set enter/paragraph key to 0 spacing before
& after & single line. Then it's press once for line & twice for paragraph.

"WebWalker" wrote:

> I understand paragraph spacing. When i write I like to delineate points by
> using short sentences within a paragraph. Like the old typewriter carriage
> return - 1 for line, two for paragraph.
> So how do i set up a line return key so it maintains the same spacing as if
> word automatically wrapped?
> I'm using 2007.
> thanks

You can insert a line break with Shift+Enter.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"WebWalker" <WebWalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I understand paragraph spacing. When i write I like to delineate points by
> using short sentences within a paragraph. Like the old typewriter carriage
> return - 1 for line, two for paragraph.
> So how do i set up a line return key so it maintains the same spacing as
> if
> word automatically wrapped?
> I'm using 2007.
> thanks

0
Suzanne
12/5/2009 4:48:12 PM
As Suzanne wrote in her reply, Shift+Enter can be used to insert a line
break within a paragraph.

On the other hand, if you are saying that you normally press Enter twice to
add spacing between paragraphs, you may want to rethink the strategy... It
will be easier to specify some Spacing Before (or After) in the paragraph
style that you are using.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"WebWalker" <WebWalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I understand paragraph spacing. When i write I like to delineate points by
> using short sentences within a paragraph. Like the old typewriter carriage
> return - 1 for line, two for paragraph.
> So how do i set up a line return key so it maintains the same spacing as
> if
> word automatically wrapped?
> I'm using 2007.
> thanks

0
Stefan
12/5/2009 6:52:56 PM
Hard to tell, but I *think* he was saying he *is* using Spacing Before/After
and occasionally needs to override it. But I would think that if someone
wanted to set off a short sentence, it would be more effective to put it in
its own paragraph.

Like this.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As Suzanne wrote in her reply, Shift+Enter can be used to insert a line
> break within a paragraph.
>
> On the other hand, if you are saying that you normally press Enter twice
> to add spacing between paragraphs, you may want to rethink the strategy...
> It will be easier to specify some Spacing Before (or After) in the
> paragraph style that you are using.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "WebWalker" <WebWalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I understand paragraph spacing. When i write I like to delineate points by
>> using short sentences within a paragraph. Like the old typewriter
>> carriage
>> return - 1 for line, two for paragraph.
>> So how do i set up a line return key so it maintains the same spacing as
>> if
>> word automatically wrapped?
>> I'm using 2007.
>> thanks

0
Suzanne
12/5/2009 7:19:47 PM
Be aware thought that if you use Shift+Enter in a paragraph for which the
alignment is set to justified, the words on the line that is terminated by
the use of Shift+Enter will spread themselves out across the whole width
between the margins.  To prevent that from happening, you will need to use
Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar instead of just the Spacebar between each of the words
on such a line.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

> One way I've worked around is to set enter/paragraph key to 0 spacing
> before
> & after & single line. Then it's press once for line & twice for
> paragraph.
>
> "WebWalker" wrote:
>
>> I understand paragraph spacing. When i write I like to delineate points
>> by
>> using short sentences within a paragraph. Like the old typewriter
>> carriage
>> return - 1 for line, two for paragraph.
>> So how do i set up a line return key so it maintains the same spacing as
>> if
>> word automatically wrapped?
>> I'm using 2007.
>> thanks

0
Doug
12/5/2009 9:25:58 PM
Alternatively, if you end the line with a tab character before the line
break, it will not be justified.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Be aware thought that if you use Shift+Enter in a paragraph for which the
> alignment is set to justified, the words on the line that is terminated by
> the use of Shift+Enter will spread themselves out across the whole width
> between the margins.  To prevent that from happening, you will need to use
> Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar instead of just the Spacebar between each of the words
> on such a line.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "WebWalker" <WebWalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> One way I've worked around is to set enter/paragraph key to 0 spacing
>> before
>> & after & single line. Then it's press once for line & twice for
>> paragraph.
>>
>> "WebWalker" wrote:
>>
>>> I understand paragraph spacing. When i write I like to delineate points
>>> by
>>> using short sentences within a paragraph. Like the old typewriter
>>> carriage
>>> return - 1 for line, two for paragraph.
>>> So how do i set up a line return key so it maintains the same spacing as
>>> if
>>> word automatically wrapped?
>>> I'm using 2007.
>>> thanks

0
Suzanne
12/5/2009 10:26:22 PM
Indeed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hard to tell, but I *think* he was saying he *is* using Spacing
> Before/After and occasionally needs to override it. But I would think that
> if someone wanted to set off a short sentence, it would be more effective
> to put it in its own paragraph.
>
> Like this.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> As Suzanne wrote in her reply, Shift+Enter can be used to insert a line
>> break within a paragraph.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you are saying that you normally press Enter twice
>> to add spacing between paragraphs, you may want to rethink the
>> strategy... It will be easier to specify some Spacing Before (or After)
>> in the paragraph style that you are using.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "WebWalker" <WebWalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I understand paragraph spacing. When i write I like to delineate points
>>>by
>>> using short sentences within a paragraph. Like the old typewriter
>>> carriage
>>> return - 1 for line, two for paragraph.
>>> So how do i set up a line return key so it maintains the same spacing as
>>> if
>>> word automatically wrapped?
>>> I'm using 2007.
>>> thanks

0
Stefan

bound forms vs. unbound forms
There were angry words on this group a couple of days ago on this topic. I'm wondering what the consensus of other Access developers is regarding bound forms and unbound forms. I often use unbound forms and I create classes, like a Customer class with properties used to AddCustomer, UpdateCustomer, etc. I will also have a data access class which perfoms all data related tasks. I also do a lot of VB.Net development and I feel more comfortable using a sort-of object oriented approach. I also find that complex forms with subforms are easier to manage when unbound. It seems easier ...

Time calculations for Scheduled vs Actual Employee Time and Wages 11-28-09
I am THRYING and TRYING to make a simple schedule worksheet for a manger to use to calculate the time he schedules an employee to clock in and out and what it will cost him in regards to his allocated budget and then to be able to compare it after the job is completed. BUT time calculations have thrown me for loop and I am stuck for hours on trying to calculate time fields. PLEASE DEAR GOD can someone help me. Below is a simple example of my worksheet. A2 (Time IN) = 1:00 PM A3 (Time OUT) = 5:00 PM A4 (Time Worked) = 4:00 (h:mm format) ...

Insert a line or shape in a table
Creating a chart from Excel, I copied and pasted it to my Word document. I now need to put in some lines to create a graph, but when I insert the line, the table expands and places the line within one segment. I want to extend the line across the top of the whole table. I don't see where I can lock the table so it won't change. Drawn lines have nothing to keep them in place. Use a real bit of data, and the line will stay locked in place: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Cu...

Plotted line to show OVER plotted points
I have two separate plots on one chart. A set of points (blobs) and separate fitted line. However the line is 'engulfed' by the points. have tried 'series order' - but it doesn't stop the points appearing o top of the line How do I ensure the line properly displays on top of the points ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com This works if both series are Scatter. Plot the points-only series on the primary axis, and the line-only series on t...

Simple vs Full Mode
RMS 2.0 sp2 Sql server 2005 . We tried to change sql server databaser to simple mode from full mode. We then kept getting a open row set error.. We would prefer to run in simple mode to simplify recovery at store level to only last backup. Is this supported in RMS 2.0 sp2.. What is the reccommended standard for a store database : Recovery mode: Comaptiability level: This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01CADD5F.72BEA9D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Max, Sim...

Delete Blank Lines
Hi All: I have a file with many blank lines. I don't want to delete them by hands because this is a huge file. Is there any way I can delete these blank lines wisely? Any advice and suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks. Charles Charles, How about sorting the file and then "mass" highlighting and deleting them? -- Ken Hudson "Charles" wrote: > Hi All: > > I have a file with many blank lines. I don't want to delete them by hands > because this is a huge file. Is there any way I can delete these blank > lines wisely? Any a...

Mysterious line
After reconfiguring a form in excel a problem occured during printing. A mysterious line appears across the page. It does not appear in print preview. Only during printing. The printer works fine on other items so it's not that. I did create a custom paper size during redefining. Frustrated hi, print some other document on the same printer. also some document for another machine. if the line is still there on all of them, it's the printer. >-----Original Message----- >After reconfiguring a form in excel a problem occured >during printing. A mysterious line ap...

Grey Header Line
I have received an email in Outlook 2002 that the font is a light grey in color in the header. I'm sure it indicates something - I just can't find the explanation anywhere. The curiosity level is high. Thanks in advance, MoonDogii Could it be an expired email item? "MoonDogii" <bmohney@REMOVECAPSclayburngroup.com> wrote in message news:unwuB7kWGHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have received an email in Outlook 2002 that the font is a light grey in >color in the header. I'm sure it indicates something - I just can't find >the explanation ...

Ping Jon Peltier: Custom colors above & below horizontal lines
Hello again, I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to color-code "zones" within a chart. Using some the techniques described on your (EXTREMELY helpful!!) website, I have created a box-and-whisker plot, and added horizontal lines indicating certain target values (upper and lower). I would like to conditionally color-code the plot areas delineated by these upper and lower horizontal lines...i.e. below the 5th percentile line=red, above the 25th percentile line=green, between the 5th and 25th percentiles=yellow. Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations etc. would be greatly ap...

merging a value in a text field with each line in a memo field
I am trying to merge a value in a text field with the information in a memo field using a query to create a report. This is the query I am using: SELECT AVRelay+","+IPRange FROM T_Sites AVRelay is the text field and IPRange is the Memo. IPRange has multiple lines, each of which I need appended with the value in AVRelay for the report. It should look like. 2,192.168.1.0/24 2,192.168.0.0/24 2,192.168.2.0/24 Instead it looks like 2,192.168.1.0/24 192.168.0.0/24 192.168.2.0/24 I have searched far and wide but has come up empty. Please help! I would gues...

space #4
i am downloading data from a program and pasting it to EXCEL. there are times when in certain cells a small box appears which I believe represents a space or who is ever entering the data hitting ENTER. Is there a way to remove this from all the cells? Select the import, do edit>replace, put the cursor in the find what box, hold down alt key while typing 010 on the numeric keypad, release alt key; Leave replace with blank or put a space there, click replace all. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "frank" wrote: > i am downloading data from a program and pasting it to > EXCE...

Running on low free space
That little monster alert keeps popping up every two minutes when I am on the console. I have gotten it so that I have 161 MB of free space, but when I start to do a virus pattern update with Trend Micro it drops down to about 45 mbytes, and the update craps out with a statement that the update is 80 per cent and the action is uncompleted. What can I do to get more free disk space from this hog. There is 18 Gigs in the system partition and I am at SP1, and not going any further. Can I get rid of all the uninstall points related to KB? There are three log files that are rea...

Pub vs Word
Our group sends an 8 page newsletter consisting of articles and photos. We do it in Publisher 2000. We have been advised by a computer expert that we should do it in Word - 1) so that it can be emailed to those of our members with internet access and, 2) that we would have more room for articles, without boxes taking up space. I thought Publisher was expressly for such publications and had advantages over Word for layout etc. Should we change to Word? Can the newsletter be converted to Word when finished for those members with email and Word? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on ...

Mail-enabled contacts vs Administrative groups
Hi, Since my Exchange 2003 was switched to native mode I'm not able to select a administrative group where I want to create it. Is that normal? "Jocelyn" <thefreefly@gmail.com> wrote: >Since my Exchange 2003 was switched to native mode I'm not able to >select a administrative group where I want to create it. Is that >normal? Since those are just AD objects I'm not sure I understand why you care. When Exchange had its own directory the "site" owned a directory object. But Exchange doesn't have its own directory anymore. -- Rich Matheise...

ANN: nxslt.exe (.NET XSLT Command Line Utility) version 1.5
Hello! I'm glad to announce version 1.5 of the nxslt.exe - .NET XSLT command line utility. What is nxslt ------------- nxslt is a feature-rich command line utility that allows to perform XSL Transformations (XSLT) using .NET Framework's XSLT implementation - System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform class. nxslt is compatible with command line options, provided by Microsoft's MSXSL.EXE Command Line Transformation Utility. In addition, nxslt has some distinct advanced features, like support for XInclude and XPointer, embedded stylesheets, custom URI resolving, multiple result documents, custom ...

Drop shadow on Drawn Lines 2008
I post in the Acrobat forums at Adobe Forums. I gave suggestion for creating forms using either underscores or Leader Tabs to create Form elements to use in Acrobat Forms Wizard. Name: _____________ Address: _____________ and so on. I've been chastised mercilessly by another contributor That say doing that adds unnecessary Characters. the contributor suggested used Drawing lines. I tried on a Blank page using Drawing line after I found the correct menu. But I found a couple of things wrong. 1. There is no way to control the starting/ending points (does not...

32bit vs. 64bit Installations
We have a 32bit system (Win 2k3) running Exchange 2007. We are rapidly approaching the end of the trial and have purchased a key. It wont enter, I suspect, because we're not using x64. Therefore, two questions, 1) can we continue using 32bit version past the expiration date (read somewhere that we could). It will take us this long to get the 64bit version mobilised. 2) Whats the easiest way of migraing the data? If we use ntbackup (built in MS), can we just restore onto the new 64 bit system? Thanks - 32-bit versions are neither "licensed", nor supported in production. This ...

DataSet.ReadXml Method does not read/load space
Hello, There is a space(as a data) in one of the columns. And i save my DataTable as a xml file using DataSet. I used DataSet.WriteXml method to save as a xml file. Now if I read that .xml file using DataSet.ReadXml method,it removes space in that DataTable. Any idea...? This does not work in Visual Studio .NET 2003. If I execute this in VS .Net 2005, it works. I must make it work in VS 2003. Here there is a sample that does not work in VS NET 2003: ________________________________________________________________________________ DataTable dbTable = new DataTable(); ...

Access/Excel: Create multiple Lines/Column out of one mulit-line Column?
Hallo everyone! I spent a lot of time today searching for a response to my question but I had unfortunately no success. The problem is the following: I have got an Access-table called Employee with an ID and one corresponding Field/Column called comment. These comments are stupidly multi-line (separated by a Return). It's my aim to have access (he he, wordplay) to these two fields in Excel whereas the field shouldn't be longer that 255 characters. I considered three solutions: The table could be changed after being exported to excel in the following two ways: - Multiple Comment Column...

excel vs quattro
Is there a feature in excel that is the same as quattro's feature "Notebook query"? ...

Pivot Tables
What is the diffence between "Count Numbers" and "Count" in Pivot Tables? I am finding that "Count Numbers" in Pivot tables is like "Count" in formulas, and "Count" in Pivot tables is like "CountA" in formulas. Is this true? I think you have it! It's like what you find in the statusbar, too. RS wrote: > > What is the diffence between "Count Numbers" and "Count" in Pivot Tables? I > am finding that "Count Numbers" in Pivot tables is like "Count" in formulas, ...

Unable to set up on-line account
Missage I get when I try to connect to an on-line bank. I checked my internet connection and it's working. I'm able to open IE browser within Money 2005. Please help. --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot complete a required online call at this time. Please check your Internet connection settings and try again. --------------------------- OK Another reference to M05, what's going on? Bal wrote: > Missage I get when I try to connect to an on-line bank. > I checked my internet connection and it's working. I'...

wpf attributes vs attached properties
This seems to be a normal problem with Microsoft. Not very consistant. I am not sure what the difference is between attributes vs attached properties, but in the case of orientation and panels - why not use the same style??? For example, for a stackpanel you use "Orientation" (Horizontal or Vertical). But with a Dock Panel you use "DockPanel.Dock" (Bottom, left...). Why not use "Dock" as an attribute??? Not a problem just that they could be more consistant in there styles. It just seems to be an issue with them. In Powerpoint, they use ...

VS 2008 Windows Forms project will not start
Hi I have created a new Windows Forms project in Visual Studio 2008 (SP1) - this is running on Windows XP Professional When I click the "Play/Start" button in the IDE to start the debugging of the project, the IDE responds by momentarily seemingly to start the project but then instantly terminates it without showing or loading the startup form. There are no compiler errors, no compiler warnings, and almost no code in the Project I have placed a break-point on both the New() of the form and the on the _Load event of the form and neither are hit. I have plac...