Line separating footnotes from text

How do I correct the left indent on the line that separates my footnotes from
the main text?
When I brought all my text (body and footnotes) in by a couple of cms, this
line remained where it was. Now it's jutting out from the rest of the doc.
Thanks

Change to Draft View and then on the Reference tab of the ribbon, click on
the Show Notes button in the Footnotes section of the ribbon and in the top
border of the Footnotes pane that appears at the bottom of the screen,
select Footnote Separator from the drop down list and modify the left indent
of the paragraph in which the separator appears.

If you are using Word 97 - 2003, after switching to the Draft View, select
Footnotes from the View menu to access the Footnotes pane.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Myles OB" <Myles OB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I correct the left indent on the line that separates my footnotes
> from
> the main text?
> When I brought all my text (body and footnotes) in by a couple of cms,
> this
> line remained where it was. Now it's jutting out from the rest of the doc.
> Thanks

0
Doug
5/28/2010 9:51:38 AM
Note, however, that this effect is usually the result of modifying the
Normal style to have an indent. This is why I caution against modifying
Normal style (use Body Text instead; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NormalVsBodyStyles.htm) because most of
Word's built-in styles are based on Normal.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Change to Draft View and then on the Reference tab of the ribbon, click on
> the Show Notes button in the Footnotes section of the ribbon and in the
> top border of the Footnotes pane that appears at the bottom of the screen,
> select Footnote Separator from the drop down list and modify the left
> indent of the paragraph in which the separator appears.
>
> If you are using Word 97 - 2003, after switching to the Draft View, select
> Footnotes from the View menu to access the Footnotes pane.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "Myles OB" <Myles OB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How do I correct the left indent on the line that separates my footnotes
>> from
>> the main text?
>> When I brought all my text (body and footnotes) in by a couple of cms,
>> this
>> line remained where it was. Now it's jutting out from the rest of the
>> doc.
>> Thanks

0
Suzanne
5/28/2010 11:12:37 AM
Doug, you're a saviour! Thank you!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Change to Draft View and then on the Reference tab of the ribbon, click on
> the Show Notes button in the Footnotes section of the ribbon and in the top
> border of the Footnotes pane that appears at the bottom of the screen,
> select Footnote Separator from the drop down list and modify the left indent
> of the paragraph in which the separator appears.
>
> If you are using Word 97 - 2003, after switching to the Draft View, select
> Footnotes from the View menu to access the Footnotes pane.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "Myles OB" <Myles OB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I correct the left indent on the line that separates my footnotes
> > from
> > the main text?
> > When I brought all my text (body and footnotes) in by a couple of cms,
> > this
> > line remained where it was. Now it's jutting out from the rest of the doc.
> > Thanks

Maybe I jumped the gun there, Doug! A small problem remains: almost all of
the footnote separators are aligned now, except where a footnote has run from
one page onto the next. In all such occurrences, the separator continues to
jut out, but when I repeat the steps you outlined, the screen shows it as if
it is aligned. Does this make sense?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Change to Draft View and then on the Reference tab of the ribbon, click on
> the Show Notes button in the Footnotes section of the ribbon and in the top
> border of the Footnotes pane that appears at the bottom of the screen,
> select Footnote Separator from the drop down list and modify the left indent
> of the paragraph in which the separator appears.
>
> If you are using Word 97 - 2003, after switching to the Draft View, select
> Footnotes from the View menu to access the Footnotes pane.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "Myles OB" <Myles OB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I correct the left indent on the line that separates my footnotes
> > from
> > the main text?
> > When I brought all my text (body and footnotes) in by a couple of cms,
> > this
> > line remained where it was. Now it's jutting out from the rest of the doc.
> > Thanks

That's the Footnote Continuation separator, which has to be adjusted
separately; see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

> Maybe I jumped the gun there, Doug! A small problem remains: almost all of
> the footnote separators are aligned now, except where a footnote has run
> from
> one page onto the next. In all such occurrences, the separator continues
> jut out, but when I repeat the steps you outlined, the screen shows it as
> if
> it is aligned. Does this make sense?
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> Change to Draft View and then on the Reference tab of the ribbon, click
>> on
>> the Show Notes button in the Footnotes section of the ribbon and in the
>> top
>> border of the Footnotes pane that appears at the bottom of the screen,
>> select Footnote Separator from the drop down list and modify the left
>> indent
>> of the paragraph in which the separator appears.
>>
>> If you are using Word 97 - 2003, after switching to the Draft View,
>> select
>> Footnotes from the View menu to access the Footnotes pane.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "Myles OB" <Myles OB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do I correct the left indent on the line that separates my
>> > footnotes
>> > from
>> > the main text?
>> > When I brought all my text (body and footnotes) in by a couple of cms,
>> > this
>> > line remained where it was. Now it's jutting out from the rest of the
>> > doc.
>> > Thanks

0
Suzanne

csv not importing numbers stored as text
I have a column in an excel spreadsheet that is formatted as text. The contents are like this: 1101,1102,1103... When I save as a csv file it then does a calculation on the numbers. What can I do to make the csv read it as 1101,1102,1103...? On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:44:01 -0800, Jennifer <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a column in an excel spreadsheet that is formatted as text. The >contents are like this: > >1101,1102,1103... > >When I save as a csv file it then does a calculation on the numbers. What >can I do to make t...

Text format
Hy, I have an text how looks like this: "AA-BB CC-dd". I want to select the text until the "-dd", so the result would be "AA-BB CC". So the text until "-" followed by an lower case letter. How can I do that ? Hi is this text part always after the last '-'? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Me wrote: > Hy, > > I have an text how looks like this: "AA-BB CC-dd". I want to select > the text until the "-dd", so the result would be "AA-BB CC". So the > text until "-" followed by an low...

Can I split a cell diagonally, with text in each triangle ?
I am putting together a calendar on excel and would like to split a cell diagnolly, colour each section and be able to type text in each triangle. Is this possible and if so how ? Many thanks Helen No it is not possible! (Now that I have said that someone will probably come in with a method) Youi could, however, make two triangles with different fills, and put text in them or make the fills partially tranparent and put text in the cells under them "Helen T" wrote: > I am putting together a calendar on excel and would like to split a cell > diagnolly, colour each ...

numbers as text #2
How do you do this, and why does excel fight it so hard? Our payroll provider sends us our payroll data in an excel spreadsheet. Project numbers that have been charged to come back in the spreadsheet with an apostrophe (') leading the number, forcing it to be recognized as text. Up to a point. If I edit a project number that was entered wrong, even though I keep the apostrophe before the number, excel now treats the cell value differently. In the body of the spreadsheet it now looks like a number, with no apostrophe, while the edit box at the top of the spreadsheet still shows th...

DEFAULT TEXT BOX FONTS
Hi, In Publisher 2003, it's possible to set fill and line settings as defaults, so that when you create a new text box it automatically uses them . . . However, does anyone know of a way to associate a font (or preferably a style) with new text boxes, so that when you create one the correct typeface is automatically selected? Thanks Open the Font Schemes from the format menu, click "Styles and Formatting", click Create new style. Setting Text Defaults using Normal.pub http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub Right-click the text box, click format text box, C...

Adding variables to a static text control (displaying contents of array)
Hello, I was wondering if the following was possible ? I have a static text control in a dialog application. I also have an array which contains about 5 items. I would like the text control to display the contents of this array and then have a button which would move to next position into the array and thus the static text control would display something different ? How could achieve this? I'm using Visual Studio 6.0 and I'm quite new to MFC Many Thanks. >I have a static text control in a dialog application. I also have an >array which contains about 5 items. I would lik...

Funny characters in text
Hi I use the following code to insert lines of address text into an excel sheet. Dim MyXL As Object Set MyXL = GetObject("C:\My Spreadsheet.xls") MyXL.WorkSheets("Sheet1").Range("C7").Value = Me.Client & vbCrLf & Me.[Client Address] The problem is that on a client's pc the address shows funny boxes in spreadsheet between address lines, I presume these are CRLF characters. However on my PC I don't see them. Even when they send me a spreadsheet which I can see by remotely login in has boxes, does not show boxes at my end. What is the probl...

How do I freeze lines on a form
I have a form that was created in word that co-workers have to type on with client information. How do I make the lines & boxes freeze so that when they do type on it it doesn't move? Insert a table. Put each form field in a separate cell of the table. In the Table Properties dialog, Rows tab, set the row heights to "Exactly" values. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. rauten46 wrote: > I have a form that was created i...

Compiling MFC project from command line...
Hi, How do I compile and link MFC activex project from command line in MSVC 6.0 Is there any tool which generates such info... Help ! sandSpiderX If you look in the project settings for your ActiveX project, you will see the command line that is used by the IDE for building the project. You should be able to use that command line directly. "sandSpider" <m74.piscean@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1120655631.691634.137580@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > How do I compile and link MFC activex project from command line in MSVC > 6.0 > > Is the...

assing macro to an an image, shape, text in Word 2007
I would like to run one of my macros when either an image, or a shape, or a text is clicked in Word 2007 document. Thanks, Use an ActiveX control, as they have a _Click event. Lev wrote: >I would like to run one of my macros when either an image, or a shape, or a >text is clicked in Word 2007 document. >Thanks, -- Gerry Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-programming/201004/1 Another method is to insert a MacroButton field and paste the image into the field code where the display text would be. See http://www.word...

How do I make cut-out of an animal separate from the background?
I am trying to cut-out an animal so all I have of the picture is the cut-out of the animal with no background. I used to be anle to do this on the old Publisher... Delphi wrote: > I am trying to cut-out an animal so all I have of the picture is the > cut-out of the animal with no background. I used to be anle to do > this on the old Publisher... ============================== Insert the picture and...on your Picture Toolbar...go to...Text Wrapping / Edit Wrap Points. Now you can place your pointer anywhere along the edge of the picture and drag the nodes to the position you require...

How to start cluster from command line?
We are running Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 cluster. I had to take ALL of the cluster resources offline install a Microsoft fix. Now the cluster won't show up in Cluster Administrator so I can't bring the cluster back online. Anyone know the command line commands to do this, or how I open a connection to the cluster in Cluster Administrator? TIA, Lamar The virtual node name is "stms". Whe I try to connect to that cluster it says that the cluster service is not running on that node. Lamar "Lamar Thomas" <none@none.com> wrote in me...

Line selection for formating in Excel chart
Have "plain vanilla" line chart in excel spread sheet. Data series consist of several lines closely space. Normally I can select and RClick a single series for formating such as line color and thickness. Is it possible to simultaneously select all data series to change a common format such as line thickness. I'd like to do this without individually selecting each line while the control key is depressed. (lazy and not that good-a shot). ~Dave Hi, No you can not select multiple series, like you can with shape objects. The only time saver is, select 1 on the series and the f...

Text Formula Question
In COL A, I have a list of 2 and 3 digit charactors. I would like to seperate each string into the three adjacent columns. KQ AJs TT 89s KQ K Q AJs A J s TT T T 89s 8 9 s I know that I can use the Left function for the first col, but cant figure out how to get just the middle or third letters. Thanks in advance, Andrew Check your last post! -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! ------------------------------------------------...

Some grid lines disappear randomly. How do I restore them?
Column and row lines have broken on my excel document. I'm a new user. How can I restore column and row breaks? Hello: Did you apply a background fill to some cell? If you apply a background file to a cell the gridlines will disappear. This is easiest to see if you apply a white background fill. This condition will be copied with cell if you copy to another part of the sheet. To test if this is your problem go to (after saving a backup) edit/clear/formats. If that returns all your gridlines then your problem is formating. Pieter Vandenberg Lizzeebee007 <Lizzeebee007@discussion...

TransferText
Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite? Please advise. Thank you. "Brig Siton" <bnospamsiton@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e0wzJZZ1KHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and > APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite? TransferText will always overwrite the target file. If you still want to use TransferText, you can export to a temporary file, then use one of seve...

How can I choose which lines are frozen using "freeze pane"?
I've tried highlighting the row I would like to freeze, usually just the first row, but it always freezes it after the 16th row. Any suggestions!? This is really frustrating! See if this old post helps: http://tinyurl.com/2qdzt -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "emilyp" <emilyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35457940-EC4E-4071-B8C5-4AFD3DABDCB6@microsoft.com... I've tried highlighting the row I would like...

Visio 2003: 2-D arrows and text orientation
I'd like to be able to rotate the text displayed on a 2-D arrow shape relative to the shape itself. Does anyone know how to do this? On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:35:34 -0400, "Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote: >I'd like to be able to rotate the text displayed on a 2-D arrow shape >relative to the shape itself. Does anyone know how to do this? with the shape selected, on the toolbar, select the small down arrow next to the Text Tool and select the Text Block Tool, the text area on the line will now not only be highlighted by green blocks but ...

Separate commit for Qty and Cost in PO
We need the ability to commit the PO quantities separate from the PO cost. Since there is only one commit "event" in RMS, retailers often don't commit the purchase order until they've received and reconciled the invoice which may arrive days or weeks after the shipment arrives. This creates problems because the delay means that the on hand, on order quantities and the last received date aren't accurate. PLEASE add this feature/option. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote fo...

How to hide the Group Box lines around options buttons??
I'm working on my first Excel form and need to create option buttons with Excel's forms toolbar. After making several sets of Group Boxes, I can't figure out how to remove the Group Box frame surrounding the option buttons. I know it's something very simple but would appreciate your help. Thanks, Charlie charlie6067 You can hide the groupboxes in code--I don't think that there's any other way. Hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window type this and hit enter. activesheet.groupboxes.visible = false If you only want to hide a single groupbo...

splitting text from one cell
I need to remove specified data from a single cell and place on the same row in another column. Not all data will be the same eg 100mg, 200mg etc Not too clear; what data? Do you want to extract the number from the text? This will extract 100 from 100mg and 5 from 5mg: =--LEFT(A1,FIND("m",A1)-1) Any help? -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "rogera" <rogera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98106D4C-04D2-4A2D-B293-9F5BBF0F04EB@microsoft.com... >I need to remove specified data from a single cell and place on th...

Scaling RTF text and EM_SETZOOM
Hi everyone, I am trying to find a way to cleanly scale some RTF text that I want to draw on a DC. The only way I found to draw RTF on to a dc is to use CRichEditCtrl::FormatRange (which is nice) but how would I scale the image. I tried using EM_SETZOOM which is supposed to be avaliable with richedit 3.0 and above. But it's not working. So as a test i created a dialog with a CRichEditCtrl I send the EM_SETZOOM message to the control, with 6:1 to make the text 6 times bigger, then I turn around and ask it for it's zoom, and it says that it is 6:1, but the text within the window is n...

separate identies
How do I set up an email account that is on a separate identity? I know how to do it in outlook express but can't find the settings in outlook. I use an office computer that has it's email address and use outlook to check that email. The owner has asked me to get a separate email address and use that for my own email. I have that but can't figure out how to keep my personal email separate from business email. Thanks!! john <john7777@hotmail.com> wrote: > How do I set up an email account that is on a separate identity? > I know how to do it in outlook express bu...

Repeat Text
In cell C2 I have a text entry, Installation Complete XA3C. I need to have repeat every 6 rows, in row 8, 14, 20,etc. Not sure how far down it needs to go, as that will be determined as the process is ongoing. Any way to automate entering this entry for possibly hundreds of rows? Thanks Paul You could add this formula to a blank cell: =MOD(ROW()+4,6) and copy down the column. Apply a filter to this column and select the value 0, which will display rows 2, 8, 14, 20 etc. Then <copy> cell C2 and <paste> to the other cells in column C which are visible, however many you feel you ...

How do I create a Line Chart (Special)
Hi there, I know how to create a line chart, what i want basically to do is create a stack chart without showing the border or colour, all i want is to show the line only ay the top of the stack. hope this makes sense. regards Harry Stacked charts in general, and stacked line charts specifically, are not very effective at showing information, but if you look at the other line chart subtypes, the two in the center column of the Chart Type dialog (when Line is selected in the list) are "stacked line" types, which only show the line for the cumulative total at each catego...