How can I type within a cell like it is a word document?

Hi,

Is there a way to type text within a cell where I can choose the position of
the text by clicking within the cell like you can within a word document?

I'd like to be able to easily type in something like this:

YOU:                                                                    ME:
No I can not do that!                                              (happy)

Yes you can!

And be able to select the placement of my text WITHOUT having to hold down
the cursor to push it forward.

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't advise EVER  using Click and Type <shudder>, but...

You can (anywhere, not just in table cells) set tab stops where you want
text. In ordinary text, you press Tab to get to the next tab stop; in a
table, you must press Ctrl+Tab (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm). But it would make a
lot more sense instead to put the text in two adjacent cells.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"bmowell" <bmowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to type text within a cell where I can choose the position
> of
> the text by clicking within the cell like you can within a word document?
>
> I'd like to be able to easily type in something like this:
>
> YOU:
> ME:
> No I can not do that!                                              (happy)
>
> Yes you can!
>
> And be able to select the placement of my text WITHOUT having to hold down
> the cursor to push it forward.
>
> Thanks!

0
Suzanne

How can I change default setting in Office start-up?
I need to change the default setting on my Word, Excel and PPT programs (MS Office 2004) so when they open they aren't at, for example, Word 11.3.0, rather at Word 11.2.3. I mac OSX, a G5. When I do a control click on any of those programs, go to "get info" and then choose the 11.2.3 that I want to open with, it does it no problem. When I click "change all" it doesn't change the default -- the 11.3.0 is always the default despite that I'm trying to change all. How do I fix this? BTW this whole problem started when someone at the genius bar deleted one of the...

I would like to know how to uninstall Outlook Express 6!
When I purchased my computer, it was installed with Outlook Express 6, and I don't use the program. I would like to know how to uninstall it. Please reply if you know how! If you are running Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 or 4, try going to the add/remove applet in the control panel. Choose Set Program Access and Defaults. Under the email section, uncheck the box to show the icon. (It will always remove the OE icon.) Note: If Microsoft Outlook is your default mail program, it will try to push newsgroup support to OE (started as a news only clien...

Converting money type into varchar
Hi, I wrote a tsql statement to convert a money data into a varchar select convert(varchar,number,1) from table1 because I must send it through database mail. The result of the conversion is 20,340.00. Is there a way to get 20.340,00? Should I change the collation property of the db? Now it's set as Latin1_General_CI_AS. Thanks! You should not be using the proprietary MONEY data type; look up the math errors in it. You should not be formatting display data in the database. This is fundamental. If this was a woodworking newsgroup and someone posted "Wh...

Prevent change to refs in second worksheet when drag cells in firs
I have a complex calendar in Excel. Each week, admins Ctrl-drag cells among different locations in the primary calendar worksheet. I have a second worksheet that needs to list those cell values in a fixed configuration, e.g. the value in Sheet1!A1 needs to always appear in the cell of Sheet2!G10. Sheet2!G10 contains the formula: “Sheet1!$A$1”. If the user drags Sheet1!A1 to Sheet1!A3, the formula in Sheet2!G10 gets automatically updated to “Sheet1!$A$3”. I have tried all combos of locking and protecting to prevent this updating. Is there a way to do this? Try referencing the other shee...

Excel Data Querry using criteria from Cell
Hello, I have created a data query in Excel using DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - NEW DATABASE QUERY and then selecting Access and browsing to an query within an Access database. This query returns all data into excel, but I would like to limit the criteria based on what a user has typed into a cell in the Excel workbook. I thought this could be accomplished by clicking DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA then PARAMETERS but the PARAMETERS option is grayed out. I can select EDIT CURRENT QUERY, but this just brings me into the Microsoft query, where I don't see any options to query based on...

Can categories be backed up somehow?
I back up rules, etc., and got to wondering if there was a file that saved our custom categories list. TIA. StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam.com> wrote: > I back up rules, etc., and got to wondering if there was a file that > saved our custom categories list. TIA. Start with this: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olcat.htm -- Brian Tillman On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:27:16 -0400, "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote: >StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam.com> wrote: > >> I back up rules, etc., and...

Can't open .pub files either
I have installed / unistalled / installed / uninstalled Publisher 2003 several times and have the same problems others seem to have. I can create and save a .pub file but cannot open them. Get the "cannot find file" message followed by the "cannot open" message. I have loaded the same Publisher program on another computer in our office and it works fine. To save time I should said ahead of time that we: DO NOT use Norton Antivirus DO use Norton Internet Securities which have been set to "allow scripts" Please help! If I cannot re-open and re-edit .pub fi...

Excel 2003 not understanding Access 2003 "like"
I have a number of Access queries linked and displayed in an Excel workbook by way of Data, Import External Data, Import Data. Some of the criteria and select statements in the queries use the keyword "Like" (e.g. Like "*Smith" to pull up all names ending in "Smith"). These statements seem to be completely ignored by Excel so that records I should see are not appearing in the workbook. This worked fine in versions 97 (from which we've just upgraded) so is this a version 2003 bug? If so, is there a fix? ...

can't read emails
When I do send & recieve it look like the mails go somewhere else but inbox, where they go? how can I see them? I know for sure those email where download from my server On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:34:07 -1000, emilio <emilio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I do send & recieve it look like the mails go somewhere else but > inbox, > where they go? how can I see them? I know for sure those email where > download > from my server What version of Outlook are you running and what mode (Corp/Workgroup, Internet Mail Only, etc.) do you have it installed i...

can I print selected cells only within a worksheet
I have designed a simple template using text only for a unique advice note. I want to be able to add variable information within this template but need only for the variable information to print onto a pre-printed advice note. I do not want to hide the template as I need to see exactly where to insert the variables but I do not want it to print. Anyone help? Thanks. Maybe you can use this ? http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#Hide -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "martin hanley" <martin hanley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA062677-3...

How do I make two lines in one cell?
since you cant hit enter to make 2 lines in one cell how do you do it? Press alt + enter together. It's easy when you know how! :-) Alan P. "kpeters" <kpeters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAEFD0EB-26F1-4AAB-9D4F-86DF4E013B9F@microsoft.com... > since you cant hit enter to make 2 lines in one cell how do you do it? if you mean that you want to add more text into the cell, then increase the row height and "wrap the text" "kpeters" <kpeters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAEFD0EB-26F1-4AAB-9D4F-86DF...

compare and merge documents in 2007
How do you compare 2 excel documents with track changes and merge them together after accepting the changes in Excel 2007? ...

Word won't quit
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Just installed Office 2008 for Mac, ran software update and installed version 12.2.3 -- Running OSX 10.6.2 on a MacBook Pro. <br> Word opens and seems to be working well, but when asked to Quit it gives an error message -- &quot;A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted and not defective. (Normal.dotm)&quot; -- When I click OK, I get a chance to report the problem. Then as long as I uncheck the option to recover my work and restart, it wil...

how can I split a single cell diagonally in Excel 2000
Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel cell diagonally in order to have it contain 2 pieces of information? Forrest, As far as I know, you can not split a cell diagonally so that it can contain 2 pieces of information. However, you can merge cells which might give you the effect that you want. To do so, go to the standard toolbar and hit Format -> Cells -> Alignment Tab -> Text Control and work with the merged cells option. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Forrest" wrote: > Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel ce...

Problems with upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard on Word 2004?
I have OS 10.4.11 and use it with Office 2004 and EndNote 9 for a book I'm in the middle of. Everything is stable and I would prefer not to change until the book is finished. However, I'm having problems with some other software, and their help people say that I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard. If I do: (1) will it adversely effect Office 2004, especially Word 2004 and EndNote 9 (which contains more than 500 references)? (2) can I just do an OS upgrade or do I need the more expensive MacBox set that Apple recommends for Tiger users? (3) will it adversely effect MYOB, which h...

2 different types of data sets displayed on 1 graph
I have a district that I wish to show performance (sales)in the months from July to November and comapred this with 2004 and 2005. Now on top of this I want to display on the same graph a second variable say number of customers for each month and each year, in order to bring some greater relevance to the static bar graphs that I propose doing for the first part. So I have been assisted on this discussion group to have a bar graph that is set up with the months as rows and the 2004 and 2005 as columns for the sales data BUT how do I now display the second variable 'number of customer...

Can you change the way quick parts and/or auto text displays?
Is there a way to change the look of the drop down menu for quick parts and auto text so it does not take up so much space? Something like it looked in 2003? Assuming that you have discovered the building block organizer - see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Buiild_Employ_Custom_BB_Gallery.htm Like 2003 it ain't! -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<&...

Can publisher 2003 be installed on 2 computers?
I have a office computer and home computer. I will be purchasing Publisher 2003, but can I install them on both of my computers? campfig wrote: > I have a office computer and home computer. I will be purchasing > Publisher 2003, but can I install them on both of my computers? Technically, Publisher 2003 can be installed on a desktop and a mobile computer (ie laptop). When you go to activate your second computer it just depends on whether or not you tell them it's a laptop. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com Windows Marketplace Moderator This...

Can't get Publisher to give "send as message" as an email option
We use Windows live Mail which won't work with publisher. So for the purposes of sending out an email I changed the default program to Windows mail But, under the option "send email" only the send as attachment option appears. I have changed the default program in Vista to use windows mail. Help ...

How can I add a CDaoRecordview and/or CDaoRecordset class to a project in VC2003?
Hello group I have a problem. I don't know how add CDaoRecordset or/and CDaoRecordview class to a project in VC2003. In VC 6 I know,but with VC2003 I do: 1. Click Project. 2. Add Class 3. Click Category/MFC -> MFC class 4. I don't see the CDaoRecordset or/and CDaoRecordview class in base class list. Please anybody, help me!!! Thank's in advance ...

can receive but not send 02-26-10
Help please... I can receive but not send messages from my windows mail accounts (2) Message appears as below.... The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'steveburgess12@bigpond'. Subject '',...

can someone help with this error?
Error: "The form required to view this message can not be displayed. Contact your administrator" One of my users gets this error when trying to open an email that originated from a yahoo web based email account. In her outlook inbox the email contains an attatchment to each forwarded message. It is when clicking to open the forwarded message that the error occurs. Note that this same email opens fine on other computers using the same version of Outlook. The 'original' message is several 'forwarded' messages deep and contains pictures. When I look at it my title bar ...

W32.Netsky.P@mm!enc can't get rid of errors
Can some one help. I have exchange 2003 with GFI mail essentials and security running and Norton corporate 10.0. I keep getting warnings of netsky being found in the mail queue and in the GFI security directories and norton sucessfully Quarantines the file. I have been getting these for a few weeks or so. Everytime I run a fix tool or full system scan it finds nothing. I suspect either someone internally has netsky worm I cannot find or someone outside has with the worm has some of my internal email addys. My question is how do I track this down. I am a bit of an exchange newbie so any i...

Can I use MS Groove with my Macbook?
I have students using Groove for their graduate team work and the Mac users are struggling to stay up in my classes. Any advide about the Mac interface with Groove 2007 issues? You will get better results by posting to the groove newsgroup directly On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.groove -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "Grooving Professor" <Grooving Profe...

EXCEL Decimal changes during WORD Merge
Why does Excel change 16 cents into .1599999 in a merge process Have not had this problem until we upgraded to 2003????? I have tried different cell formats in Excel Number - currency - accounting - custom - all with the 2 decimal places text - but rather not lose numeric functions (am re-entering figures by hand and using text format today to finish merged letters - - ugghhh!) Help? I have had a similar problem in previous versions of Excel as well, not just Office 2003. Is the data in Excel coming from an outside source like a non Microsoft database query? I run into this probl...