Headers, footers, AutoText, hard return

I am using Word 2003 on a Windows XP platform.

I posted this same question a couple of hours ago, and then I could not find
my post. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I am creating AutoText entries for headers and footers, including HeaderOdd,
HeaderEven, FooterOdd, FooterEven, and FooterFirst.

My HeaderOdd AutoText, for example, contains: Chapter {Field}: {Field}

The problem is that when put my cursor in the header, and I insert the
HeaderOdd AutoText into the header field, Word inserts a hard return, which
creates an extra blank line in the header under my AutoText content.  It is
doing the same exact thing for the FooterOdd AutoText in the footer.  The
hard return is NOT a part of the HeaderOdd or FooterOdd AutoText entries!

How can I avoid this hard return/blank line in the header and footer?

Thanks!

Tim

May I suggest a different approach? In your template you will, I assume,
have enabled "Different first page" and "Different odd and even." Insert two
temporary page breaks so that the template contains three pages. This will
give you access to all three headers and footers. Insert the desired content
in each. Delete the page breaks. Although you can't see the odd and even
header and footer, Word will remember them and use them as needed. No need
for AutoText entries.

The problem here is that whenever you paste or insert content into a header
or footer, you almost invariably end up with an extra empty paragraph. For
example, if you copy the content from one header/footer and paste it into
another, no matter how carefully you select the text to exclude the
paragraph mark in the selection to be copied, and no matter that you select
the paragraph mark when you paste, you'll still end up with an extra, empty
paragraph. That being the case, if you can adopt the solution proposed
above, you'll have much less work and frustration.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"bufossil" <bufossil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Word 2003 on a Windows XP platform.
>
> I posted this same question a couple of hours ago, and then I could not
> find
> my post. Sorry if this is a repeat.
>
> I am creating AutoText entries for headers and footers, including
> HeaderOdd,
> HeaderEven, FooterOdd, FooterEven, and FooterFirst.
>
> My HeaderOdd AutoText, for example, contains: Chapter {Field}: {Field}
>
> The problem is that when put my cursor in the header, and I insert the
> HeaderOdd AutoText into the header field, Word inserts a hard return,
> which
> creates an extra blank line in the header under my AutoText content.  It
> is
> doing the same exact thing for the FooterOdd AutoText in the footer.  The
> hard return is NOT a part of the HeaderOdd or FooterOdd AutoText entries!
>
> How can I avoid this hard return/blank line in the header and footer?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim

0
Suzanne
11/10/2009 7:02:35 PM
Hi Suzanne:

Thank you so much for your contributions to these forums. It is wonderful
that you are so willing to share your knowledge and experience.

In this case, however, I don't think your suggestion will work, and here's
why.

First, you have precisely understood what happens in Word when you paste or
insert content into a header or footer.  However, I cannot create the
template as your propose it.  I actually author with Author-it software,
which publishes content to PDF, HTML pages, Word, and .CHM.

I must manually map/configure AutoText entries from Word back into
Author-it, so that Author-it knows how I want the Word output formatted.  I
go into a properties window in Author-it, and specify what AutoText entry in
Word should be associated with certain kinds of content in the Author-it
database.  (We have different headers for the TOC, for the body, for the
Glossary, and for the Index.  We also have some books with 2.75" margins on
the left, and other books with 1" margins on the left. So, we must tell
Author-it what specific AutoText entries to use in each situation.)

The only solution I can think of is to see if I can find someone with Visual
Basic knowledge, and have them create an "AfterPublish" macro that removes
the empty spaces in the headers and footers after they are populated with the
AutoText entries.

Thank you again for your suggestion!

Tim

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> May I suggest a different approach? In your template you will, I assume,
> have enabled "Different first page" and "Different odd and even." Insert two
> temporary page breaks so that the template contains three pages. This will
> give you access to all three headers and footers. Insert the desired content
> in each. Delete the page breaks. Although you can't see the odd and even
> header and footer, Word will remember them and use them as needed. No need
> for AutoText entries.
>
> The problem here is that whenever you paste or insert content into a header
> or footer, you almost invariably end up with an extra empty paragraph. For
> example, if you copy the content from one header/footer and paste it into
> another, no matter how carefully you select the text to exclude the
> paragraph mark in the selection to be copied, and no matter that you select
> the paragraph mark when you paste, you'll still end up with an extra, empty
> paragraph. That being the case, if you can adopt the solution proposed
> above, you'll have much less work and frustration.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "bufossil" <bufossil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using Word 2003 on a Windows XP platform.
> >
> > I posted this same question a couple of hours ago, and then I could not
> > find
> > my post. Sorry if this is a repeat.
> >
> > I am creating AutoText entries for headers and footers, including
> > HeaderOdd,
> > HeaderEven, FooterOdd, FooterEven, and FooterFirst.
> >
> > My HeaderOdd AutoText, for example, contains: Chapter {Field}: {Field}
> >
> > The problem is that when put my cursor in the header, and I insert the
> > HeaderOdd AutoText into the header field, Word inserts a hard return,
> > which
> > creates an extra blank line in the header under my AutoText content.  It
> > is
> > doing the same exact thing for the FooterOdd AutoText in the footer.  The
> > hard return is NOT a part of the HeaderOdd or FooterOdd AutoText entries!
> >
> > How can I avoid this hard return/blank line in the header and footer?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Tim
> >

> .

moving around using tabs and returns instead of the arrow keys.
Hello, When using excel I keep moving out of cells when I try and change the contents I have just typed. Is there a way to tell excel to go into the f2 type edit cell mode as soon as you start typing into a cell. hope that makes sense. thanks in advance Dave No. You have to press F2 or use the formula bar at the top. >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >When using excel I keep moving out of cells when I try and change the >contents I have just typed. > >Is there a way to tell excel to go into the f2 type edit cell mode as soon >as you start typing into a ...

How to forward / store complete e-mail (mainly headers)
Hey there, if I drag an e-mail to the desktop or send it as attachment it's stored as a .msg file. Not sure if it's the difference between .eml and .msg, but the .msg doesn't seem to have the headers the e-mail has. It seems to contain some binary stuff in the top of the message if I open it with notepad, which seems to include AD paths and exchange mailstores. I'd like to have a copy of the e-mail, with intact headers thus, is this possible? Regards Freaky <wontsay@ondeja.com> wrote: > if I drag an e-mail to the desktop or send it as attachment it's > stor...

sec master hard disk s.m.a.r.t. status bad fix
Hi. Not Show Drive HDD 1 Tr. Why Error: sec master hard disk s.m.a.r.t. status bad fix. Plz Help For Fixed. -- AhrimanSefid AhrimanSefid wrote: > Hi. > Not Show Drive HDD 1 Tr. > Why Error: > sec master hard disk s.m.a.r.t. status bad fix. > Plz Help For Fixed. > > Replace the hard drive; it has failed. -- Bruce Chambers Help us help you: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375 They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve ne...

hard drive replacement
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I'd like to replace the internal hard drive on my macbook pro 2.2 ghz. If I clone my old drive to the replacement drive (including my Office 2004), will my Office 2004 work on the replacement drive or would I need to uninstall Office from the old drive, and then install from the original Office 2004 CD on the replacement drive? Thanks. "jbehlke@officeformac.com" wrote: > I'd like to replace the internal hard drive on my macbook pro 2.2 ghz. If I > clone my old drive to the replacement drive (in...

Trouble with subtotal in form footer
Hi I have a form/subform for entering invoice data. I have a subtotal text box in the form footer which keeps a running total of the line items I enter in the subform. Sometimes the subtotal doesn't update as I enter the line items. If I click in the subtotal text box in the form footer, the subtotal displays correctly. I don't know what condition is causing this. Sometimes it totals correctly and somtimes it remains blank until I click in the subtotal text box. I would appreciate any help or suggestions on how I could solve this problem. Thanks in advance Mark There can be a d...

IWDFDevice::CreateWdfFile returns ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION?
Hi, I am writing a UMDF sensor driver for a device that connects to the system via Bluetooth and is accessible as an HID input device. I saw the "Sensor Development Kit" sample driver and noticed that it works with the Freescale hardware via HID also though it connects to the system via USB. Is there any difference in the way the UMDF driver communicates with the device in case it connects to the system via Bluetooth? For some reason, I find that the call to "CreateWdfFile" returns "ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION" even when I have the device paired with t...

How do I find text among multiple worksheets and return the cell .
Lets say i want to find the text cat in all sheets in my workbook and have the cell address returned to a cell(s) next to it? I want it to look something like this: sheet1 sheet2 sheet3 cat Sheet2!C4 Sheet3!C4 Or even better i would love to write a macro that will search the entire workbook for any text that I put in cell A1. and return all cell addresses for that text. Is this possible? ...

How can I get my inbox returned to my isp?
I imported my yahoo inbox into outlook thinging that I could access them (my inbox and the imported inbox) from either Outlook or SBC Yahoo. Everything imported okay, except that everything is marked unread. However, I went to my Yahoo webmail, and to my terror, my inbox was empty. How will I ever be able to access my mail from out there (in the world)? Can I even undo this? deedee wrote: > I imported my yahoo inbox into outlook thinging that I could access > them (my inbox and the imported inbox) from either Outlook or SBC > Yahoo. Everything imported okay, except that ever...

Forms and AutoText
I have a form and I am using the following code to test if a check box is checked and if so, to insert Autotext. Everything works fine, however, after the autotext is inserted I would like the cursor to return to the first fill in formfield of the autotext just inserted. Right now, it is going to the next fillin formfield after the checkbox. I've tried various code after the line ".AttachedTemplate.AutoTextEntries(ATEntryName).Insert myRange, True", but have had no luck. I'm right now scouring the internet for solutions, but if anybody can answer this I woul...

header/footer margins on a second page??
Hello, I have a worksheet that is being printed out on an invoice sheet and it has a header on the top of the paper. My problem is that some invoices might have too many items on them and will run on to the next page in the printer. The next page has the same header on the sheet of paper so it prints at the top of the paper and not in the right area. Is thre any way to set margins or page layouts so that this doesn't happen? (also i before print the spreadsheet will delete a few rows with data of a certain criteria, so the rows will be moving) would the answer be to use a footer tha...

Group Headers
I have a report that I want to split. One part shows who is a Board of Director and the other part shows who is on the Participant's Council. when I use the sorting and grouping feature it splits it nicely. I just can't get it to label each part correctly. How do I get it to label the Board of Director group as Board of Directors and the Participant's Council as Participant's Council? Thanks Your record source of the report should include the field that actually stores the titles. I expect you are using a lookup field in your table design which is a confu...

Copier Series with Sales Transaction Entry and Returns
I just want to make sure I'm not deranged before I submit the following problem as a bug. Scenario: Invoice with many (50), complex line items. Half of the items are non-inventory (not in inventory list) because they are "once and done" items or custom configurations from our supplier. We need to record the costs for these non-inventory items. Transaction that works: 1. In Sales Transaction Entry screen, enter a return. 2. Add a line and enter a non-inventory item. 3. Show Details on the line and enter the Unit Cost. 4. Post transaction and you should see...

Header and Footer on all sheets
Can I design a standard Header and Footer and have it print on all the worksheets in my workbook? Brad H. Hi try the following - select all sheets (group them with holding down the SHIFT key while selecting all sheets) - goto the pagesetup dialog and define youer headers/footers -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Bradley C. Hammerstrom wrote: > Can I design a standard Header and Footer and have it print on all the > worksheets in my workbook? > > Brad H. ...

Hiding Column Header in List Control
Hi, I have a list control object using the Report view, in my dialog. It has only a single column with no header text. The header gets displayed with no text, of course, but I would like to hide it. How do I do this? This doesn't work (in OnInitDialog): m_listControl.GetHeaderCtrl()->ShowWindow(SW_HIDE); TIA, SD Oh, never mind. Just setting the "No Column Header" property to false does it. "SD" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a list control object using the Report view, in my dialog. It has > only a single column with no header text. The hea...

removing footers from publisher 2002 file?
somehow, I don't know how, an unwanted FOOTER is in place at the bottom of the page of a Microsoft Publisher XP file. The HELP file that comes with the software did not offer instructions on how to remove it. Can anyone reading this offer a suggestion on how to completely remove it (cut it out)? all replies welcomed! Aaron Hi aaronep@pacbell.net (aaronep@pacbell.net), in the newsgroups you posted: || somehow, I don't know how, an unwanted FOOTER is in place at the || bottom of the page of a || Microsoft Publisher XP file. The HELP file that comes with the || software did not ...

IMAP OLK2003 Download Headers vs Full Item + Attachments
I am using Outlook 2003. My mail server is iPlanet messaging server 5.1 I have my email account in outlook configured as IMAP. I successfully send and recieved messages without issue. To make my inbox available offline, I have the inbox setup (In tools/options/Mail Setup/Send-recieve/Edit/Folder Options set to "Download complete item including attachments" This way all items in my inbox should download fully, without me actually opening the mail item, and be available for use offline, including the attachments. This doesn't seem to work. Some mail items are available offline, s...

how to return to full worksheet after filtering a colume?
I am using excel 2007 . I am trying to fillter the salemans region data. I have managed to create the filter that I need. but can't return to the full worksheet without loosing that filter. What am I doing wrong? Generally one will copy the results of the filter to another location...........maybe a new worksheet? You cannot "show all" after a filter without removing the filtered results. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:06:01 -0800, tbear <tbear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using excel 2007 . I am trying to fillter the sal...

Bizuser Who am I method returns error #2
The following thread has been lost in the shuffle but i still have not recieved an answer to my question; I get a method not allowed error when i try to run the following console app that is based on one of the code sample in the SDK. Further research into KB articles state that I should have the server be on port 80 which it is.' I must make this work Thanks OK here: using System; using Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Proxy; using Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Types; namespace CRMPOC { /// <summary> /// Summary description for Class1. /// </summary> class CrmPOC { /// <summary...

How do I import my emails from an external hard drive?
My old computer crashed, but i have recovered the hard drive. I have located my old outlook express emails (vista) but cant import them to office outlook (windows 7) on my new computer. Any ideas? You'll have to configure your OE files with Windows Live Mail on Windows 7 first. Once you've done that, you can export all your mail to Outlook. For detailed instructions see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/migratefromoewlm.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-...

Resetting the window size & returning to the inbox
I just received Outlook Express at work and I have two queries. First, how do I change the size of the window to maximum when I open, forward, reply or send a message? The window size now is small and I always have to maximize it. Second, how do I make the system return to my inbox after opening an email? After reading an email and closing it my system automatically opens the next email, and I do not want that. Any help is appreciated! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these ...

Pagebreak between group footers
I have a report that is grouped by Salesperson, then by customer. The footer for the customer group totals some fields for that specific customer then the footer for the Salesperson group totals some fields for all the customers that fall under that salesperson. The problem is, I need that salesperson total footer to show on a new page. I put "New Page After" the customer group but the problem is, it only works when exporting the report to a PDF or printed. When the report is exported or printed the Salesperson footer shows on its own page. But if you just run the re...

return value from range of worksheets
I am trying to return the name of a person who worked the most hours in my volunteer table. The columns include the person's name, date worked, number of hours per shift and total hours worked. There are 100+ people that each have their own worksheet. I would like to use a lookup to return the name of the person with the most hours. How would I do this? I tried grouping the sheets and referencing the ranges I want to use. Thanks. As much as Excel looks like a 3D spreadsheet, its actual 3D functionality is very limited, especially if you are not comfortable with VBA solu...

Last Cell Return
Is there a way for me to have a list that returns the last (or bottom) row of cells to a fixed row or column at the top of a worksheet. For example: Jim Wells 546-789-4848 bill Jones 787-585-4826 bob haslet 215-556-4825 As the above list accumulates, I would like to have the last entry, (in this case Bob Haslet) to always be present at the top of the worksheet, and change evry time a I add a new contact. Can this be done? Lane ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelF...

Read header, body and fileds from Outlook (.MSG file) using VB
Is there any way to read the Outlook email header (Internet Header), body and fields from a specific .msg-file (using path to file) through Visual Basic (VB 6 or VB.Net) Thks, Robert robert_rdk@RemoveThis@hotmail.com Using the Outlook Object Model, no. Using Collaboration Data Objects, yes. (Hint: Attach the *.msg file to a temporary new message. There is a property exposed by the attachment object called source.) "Robert" <robert_rdk@RemoveThis@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:PlN1b.20110$tK5.2788166@zonnet-reader-1... > Is there any way to read the Outlook ema...

Header file
Hi everyone, I am working with the Exchange export/import. In my export file I would like to have the attribute Permissions which contains the all NT accounts have permissions to the mailbox. I just don't know the real name of the attribute. Please help. Thank you very much T ...