Headers, footers, AutoText, and hard returns

I am using Word 2003 on a Windows XP platform.

I have created AutoText for a Word template, including HeaderOdd,
HeaderEven, FooterOdd, FooterFirst, and FooterEven.

The AutoText entry for HeaderOdd, for example, contains: Chapter {Field}:
{Field}.

When I open the template, view the header, and insert the AutoText, Word
puts a hard return into the header, and creates an empty row of space under
the AutoText.  Word does the exact same thing when I insert the AutoText into
the footer.  The hard return does NOT exist in the AutoText I created.

In the empty template, when I select View > Header and Footer, there is a
paragraph marker already in the Header field, and it is bold, and I can't
change it or delete it.  There is also an omnipresent paragraph marker in the
otherwise empty footer field. I don't know whether or not these paragraph
markers are responsible for the hard returns, just thought I would mention it.

If you know what is causing the hard returns in the headers and footers, and
if there are instructions in the online help that explains how to solve it,
please give me a couple of key words to help me find the online help topic.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

May I suggest a different approach? In your template you will, I assume,
have enabled "Different first page" and "Different odd and even." Insert two
temporary page breaks so that the template contains three pages. This will
give you access to all three headers and footers. Insert the desired content
in each. Delete the page breaks. Although you can't see the odd and even
header and footer, Word will remember them and use them as needed. No need
for AutoText entries.

The problem here is that whenever you paste or insert content into a header
or footer, you almost invariably end up with an extra empty paragraph. For
example, if you copy the content from one header/footer and paste it into
another, no matter how carefully you select the text to exclude the
paragraph mark in the selection to be copied, and no matter that you select
the paragraph mark when you paste, you'll still end up with an extra, empty
paragraph. That being the case, if you can adopt the solution proposed
above, you'll have much less work and frustration.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"bufossil" <bufossil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Word 2003 on a Windows XP platform.
>
> I have created AutoText for a Word template, including HeaderOdd,
> HeaderEven, FooterOdd, FooterFirst, and FooterEven.
>
> The AutoText entry for HeaderOdd, for example, contains: Chapter {Field}:
> {Field}.
>
> When I open the template, view the header, and insert the AutoText, Word
> puts a hard return into the header, and creates an empty row of space
> under
> the AutoText.  Word does the exact same thing when I insert the AutoText
> into
> the footer.  The hard return does NOT exist in the AutoText I created.
>
> In the empty template, when I select View > Header and Footer, there is a
> paragraph marker already in the Header field, and it is bold, and I can't
> change it or delete it.  There is also an omnipresent paragraph marker in
> the
> otherwise empty footer field. I don't know whether or not these paragraph
> markers are responsible for the hard returns, just thought I would mention
> it.
>
> If you know what is causing the hard returns in the headers and footers,
> and
> if there are instructions in the online help that explains how to solve
> it,
> please give me a couple of key words to help me find the online help
> topic.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Tim

0
Suzanne

Blank email headers
Our company has 4 PCs all running Outlook 2003 - we have no server. Each PC accesses the same email account at our ISP and each version of Outlook is set to not delete email from the server. Consequently everyone sees all the email for the company. Our company has several clients who use yahoo to send us data files. When received, on some PCs the emails are fine, but on others we end up with blank sender and subject fields and the data is in hex in the body of the email. I have tested this problem as follows: 1. I accessed my Yahoo account and send email to the company account with a small ...

Bugs in LONG_PTR usage in VS2005 header files
Just in case you encounter these, they appear to be actual bugs. The warnings should not be issued. I'm using VS2005/SP1/Vista and compiling for Win32. ================================================================================================================== FARPROC func; line 43: ::SetWindowLongPtr(hWnd, GWLP_WNDPROC, (LONG_PTR)func); warning C4244: 'argument' : conversion from 'LONG_PTR' to 'LONG', possible loss of data i:\XXX\hook\hook.cpp 43 static LRESULT CALLBACK SubclassHandler(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM); line 289 ::SetWindowLongPtr(hW...

Average a returned value in a report
I have a report that returns a value named Efficiency. It is based on a query that takes the total parts produced divided by the hours charged and returns the parts per hour. Then it divides it by the number of parts per hour estimated and returns an efficiency value in %. This has criteria that limit the dates in the report. The report returns the count of items and the efficiency of the different jobs. I want to total the efficiencies in the report and divide it by the count to get an average efficiency. How do I do this? I am using Access 2007. Thanks for any help. ...

Print check from SOP return
Is it possible to print a check that has been entered on an SOP return? When I do an SOP return and payment simultaneously, Dynamics transfers the check information to bank rec and the inventory item is put back into inventory. But there is not an option I can see anywhere to print the check? Thanks in advance, Russ Worth Worth & Associates, CPA's Hi Russ, If you have the Payables Module make sure your Refund Checks are setup. Tools>>Setup>>Sales>>Refund Checks. Then you can do a Refund Check through Transactions>>Sales>>Refund Checks If you use ...

Data Conversion Expression returns #Error
Objective: Convert txt data representing a time stamp on a particular activity into DateTime format. 1. If the data field contains any data convert it to the DateTime format 2. If data field is Null or a zero length string would like to return a null. 3. The data usually come in 0000 format but it could be 000 or 00 or 0 or “ “. CutT_temp: CDate(IIf(IsError(FormatDateTime(IIf(Len([Cut_Time])<1,"",Left([Cut_Time],2)+":"+Right([Cut_Time],2)),0)),"",FormatDateTime(IIf(Len([Cut_Time])<1,"",Left([Cut_Time],2)+":"+Right([Cut_Time],2)...

Subquery returned more than 1 Value in Manufacturing
Working in the Edit MO Status window. Can search by MO number, but if try to search by any ranges (ex: date, site, etc), get error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <+, >, >+, or when the subquery is used as an expression. We are running GP v. 9.0. Any ideas? ...

Adding path to footer in Excel 97
Can someone tell me please how to add the path of a document to a custom footer in Excel. It seems such a basic task but somehow doesn't appear to be obvious. Thanks Yvonne New Zealand Hi see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Yvonne wrote: > Can someone tell me please how to add the path of a > document to a custom footer in Excel. It seems such a > basic task but somehow doesn't appear to be obvious. > > Thanks > Yvonne > New Zealand File|Page Setup, Click the Header/Footer Tab, Click the Custom F...

WEEKNUM function returns #name in Excel 2003
I have Excel 2003 installed. When I enter a WEEKNUM function into a cell I get #name returned. When I do a check on the formula Excel help tells me there is an unrecognized entry. Basically my formula looks like this in cell C5 I have =weeknum(A5,1) in cell A5 I have the date 12/08/2003 I'v done fourmulas for the date in A5 to break out the year, month, and day, then re-assembled them with 'date' forumla to make sure it's a valid date and to get a date serial number, but however I have the dates entered, the weeknum formula doesn't work. It's as if the function i...

Email Header #2
How do I print the email headers in Outlook 2003 automatically? Woody Watkins wrote: > How do I print the email headers in Outlook 2003 automatically? I don't know of any way to do that - certainly nothing built in. What is it you're trying to do, exactly? ...

Returning multiple values for a lookup
I have a spreadsheet showing the purchases of various part numbers wit the corresponding unit costs paid, there is normally more than one uni cost per part number. On a second spreadsheet, I want to be able loo up a given part number in Column A and pull over the corresponding uni costs paid into Column B. I have no problem pulling over the firs unit cost found, but am not able to get the second, third, etc, uni cost found. Can anyone help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi do you need all individual entries or do you only want the sum of them. In the latter case use SU...

Formatting footer in VBA code
Hi all.... I have this bit of code in a macro that I would like formatted, but I do not know how....the code is to automatically insert the file path and the tab name of a spreadheet....I would like to format the code, so that every time it opens a document it will make the font Arial size 8. What I have now only makes the "&A" (which is the tab) size 8...... Here is the string.... .CenterFooter = ActiveWorkbook.FullName & Chr(10) & "&""Arial""&8&A" Any suggestions would be great!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure I foll...

Sort Protected Sheet with Header Columns
I'm trying to get a spreadsheet to sort by clicking on the Header cell. I found the following code and it works when the sheet is unprotected: Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(ActiveCell, _ Range("A13:AT13")) Is Nothing Then 'Range with column headings ActiveCell.CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=ActiveCell, Header:=xlYes End If Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub But, when I protect the sheet and try to run the following code, nothing happens. Sub Worksheet_SelectionCh...

Deleted emails returning
Hi, I have a user who deletes messages only to have multiple copies of the deleted messages appear in her inbox again. 20 messages becomes 1700 in a matter of minutes. Any ideas or help in curing this would be much appreciated! Thanks! What version of Outlook? What sort of mail account(s)? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00b901c3b900$82e1a3b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a user who deletes mes...

COUNTA, but not formulas returning empty string
(Using Excel2000) I have a column (A) where I have entered a formula =IF(FromAccessTotalSubs!A3="";"";FromAccessTotalSubs!A3) (the row number increasing on each row). The idea is to copy the column from another sheet, and ensure that an empty string is displayed rather than 0 if the copied cell was blank. When I try to use =COUNTA(A:A) in another cell to find out how many cell in the column that contains some information (not empty string..) I finf that COUNTA return the number of cells that contains the (first) formula, rather than how many cells displays a value to the ...

Return-path blank when sent to distribution group.
I'm trying to understand something with the return-path in the message header. Exchange 2003 mailboxes. Messages sent out via Exchange 2007 hub transport servers. Exchange 2003 mailboxes each have a contact in AD and their mailbox is configured to forward to the contact email address. When an individual email goes to the mailbox it forwards with no problem to the contact address. I can also see their mailbox email address in the return-path field of the header. It's not the original senders email address. However, when an email is sent to the distribution group...

Macro to check data from excel list against access query and return value back to excel
(I posted this yesterday but am tryign to make it clearer) I have an excel list with "name" and "title" and there are many erros and mis-spellings. I havbe an acess quesry that has the correct names and titles and also some mis-spellings and foreign language spellings pointing to the correct english name and title. I would like to write a macro in excel to do a lookup of the excel value in the access quesry and find EITHER an exact match or close match and return the value of a specified field back into an excel column. Here is a hypothetic example: Access list: PK=Van G...

Want Attachments in Body, not Header
In Outlook 2002, whenever I open an e-mail message with an attachment, the attachment shows up in the header. I don't like this because it is very small and I often miss seeing the attachment. Plus, I almost never look at the header and just go right to reading the body. How do I get the attachments to show up in the body where they used to show in Outlook 2000? The sender controls where the attachments appear...what format are these messages in? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup t...

Web Site hyperlinks to files on hard disk not working
Greetings kind folks, I've been using Publisher for my Web Site for 3 years. All of a sudden in web preview (checking the changes I need to make to the site ASAP) none of the hyperlinks (PDFs) set to files on my hard disk work. All the other hyperlinks work. I get the following message: "Accessing the resource C:\Document Settings\...ect. (Where the file is on my hard drive) has been disallowed." I've checked everything I can think of, i.e updates to M- Office Premium 2000 are current, updates to XP Professional are current, ran the repair programs in Publisher and ...

Why does graphic in Excel header disappear when I e-mail file
I was asked to place a logo in a header on an Excel worksheet. However, when I returned the completed worksheet the other person cannot see the graphic whereas there is no problem on my own PC. Is only a link to the logo inserted into the header, so that it is no longer available on the other person's PC? If so, is there any way to actually embed the graphic in the header as I cannot see any options. Many thanks Where is the actual logo? Is it local on your PC? Yes, it's in a folder in My Documents "DNA" wrote: > Where is the actual logo? Is it local on your P...

Sorting data in a table by the header of a column?
Is there a way to get excel to sort the data in a table by clicking on the header of a column like a windows folder does? No. You have to go to data/sort..tell it you have a header, and the pick the columns you want to sort by -- dfeld7 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dfeld71's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2145 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37449 Hello Aaron, Not from the column labels A, B, etc. but from within the column of data that should be the primary sort,...

Using Autotext in an input form?
I have an app where the users are entering large amounts of text in a multi-line text box. It would be very helpful if they could use Autocorrect (or something like it) to type in abbreviations and have them automatically expand into the text. Has anyone figured out a way to do this? TIA If the input has such consistency of input that you were considering autocorrect entries, then surely it would be simpler to select the content from a dropdown field? See http://www.gmayor.com/SelectFile.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<...

returning two values
I have a function in which two indexes are calculated. I would like to return them both. Is this possible? "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:eg8tCGKwFHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I have a function in which two indexes are calculated. I would like to > return them both. Is this possible? If they will fit, you could use something like MAKELONG. Otherwise you could use OUT params. -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] "Jeff Partch [MVP]" <jeffp@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23a2ShLKwFHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gb...

Lookup returns text?
Is there a function similar to SUMIF for numerical data that will retur text? I have a list of item #'s that have no description. I want to be abl to lookup the item # and return the description from a master list. Any ideas? TEXTIF would be great, but that doesn't exist that I'm aware of. Thanks, Rya -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Ryan Check out the Help for VLOOKUP Regards Trevor "rydolarue >" <<rydolarue.1b8xeb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:rydolarue.1b8xeb@excelforum-nospam.com... > Is there a function simil...

Changing the font color in an Excel footer
How can I change the font color in my custom footer? I can change other font attributes, but not the color. What am I missing? You're not missing a thing. With XL2002 and later, you can put a picture into the footer. If you have static custom text, you could use a graphic instead. In article <1AB2BF73-D216-49B4-9E47-AD79F5E09912@microsoft.com>, "Laura at Chelsea" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I change the font color in my custom footer? I can change other font > attributes, but not the color. What am I missing? Thanks JE ! ...

Header is covered up
I imported a word document into Pub 2003. I let Publisher create the textboxes. This is a large patient handbook that we want to put into Publisher. Lots of the textboxes cover up the Header and some do not. Does this mean I will have to resize every textbox or is there another way? Is the header from Word too? Publisher does not support headers. If you are importing from Word you have no control on how Publisher places the text. If you copy/paste you can set your margin to below the Header. You will have to design the header in Publisher manually. Create your first text box, pas...