Formatting unprotected sections

Hi,

I'm currently working on a template (.dotx) for Word 2007 where I want to
protected several sections with the 'Filling in forms' protection. So far
it's ok - but in the unprotected section I'm unable to use things like
'Bullets' and 'Numbering' - why is this, and mere importantly how do I solve
this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

/JEN

As you are using Word 2007, consider using Content Controls rather than
formfields.  Alternatively, use a UserForm (Custom Dialog) to get the user's
input

See  http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.
"jen" <jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on a template (.dotx) for Word 2007 where I want to
> protected several sections with the 'Filling in forms' protection. So far
> it's ok - but in the unprotected section I'm unable to use things like
> 'Bullets' and 'Numbering' - why is this, and mere importantly how do I
> solve
> this?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> /JEN

0
Doug
11/11/2009 1:54:50 AM
As you have noticed, many features are disabled in protected documents, even
when you leave certain sections unprotected. What you can do is use styles to
apply number and bullet formatting. For example, apply bullet formatting by
applying the List Bullet style (Ctrl+Shift+L).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jen" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on a template (.dotx) for Word 2007 where I want to
> protected several sections with the 'Filling in forms' protection. So far
> it's ok - but in the unprotected section I'm unable to use things like
> 'Bullets' and 'Numbering' - why is this, and mere importantly how do I solve
> this?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> /JEN
As you have noticed, there are many things you cannot do in a protected
document; this includes unprotected sections within a protected document.

In this case, however, you can make use of numbered or bulleted styles. For
example, you can add bullets to text by applying the List Bullet style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jen" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on a template (.dotx) for Word 2007 where I want to
> protected several sections with the 'Filling in forms' protection. So far
> it's ok - but in the unprotected section I'm unable to use things like
> 'Bullets' and 'Numbering' - why is this, and mere importantly how do I solve
> this?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> /JEN
Yes! This solved my problem.

It just make me wonder - why can I use styles with bullets but not change
the Normal style to use bullets...

Never mind - problem solved this is my main concern!

/JEN

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> As you have noticed, many features are disabled in protected documents, even
> when you leave certain sections unprotected. What you can do is use styles to
> apply number and bullet formatting. For example, apply bullet formatting by
> applying the List Bullet style (Ctrl+Shift+L).
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "jen" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently working on a template (.dotx) for Word 2007 where I want to
> > protected several sections with the 'Filling in forms' protection. So far
> > it's ok - but in the unprotected section I'm unable to use things like
> > 'Bullets' and 'Numbering' - why is this, and mere importantly how do I solve
> > this?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > /JEN
Interesting point you got there with using Content Controls - I'll have look
at that.

As why I/we don't use a UserForm is because the data is not provided by the
end-user but via a web-service retrieving data from our back-end systems.

/JEN

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> As you are using Word 2007, consider using Content Controls rather than
> formfields.  Alternatively, use a UserForm (Custom Dialog) to get the user's
> input
>
> See  http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>
> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on
> a paid professional basis.
> "jen" <jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently working on a template (.dotx) for Word 2007 where I want to
> > protected several sections with the 'Filling in forms' protection. So far
> > it's ok - but in the unprotected section I'm unable to use things like
> > 'Bullets' and 'Numbering' - why is this, and mere importantly how do I
> > solve
> > this?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > /JEN

Part of the purpose of document protection is to restrict what you can do
with the document. Therefore, applying styles is OK (in an unprotected
section that is), but not modifying styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

> Yes! This solved my problem.
>
> It just make me wonder - why can I use styles with bullets but not change
> the Normal style to use bullets...
>
> Never mind - problem solved this is my main concern!
>
> /JEN
>
> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> As you have noticed, many features are disabled in protected documents,
>> even
>> when you leave certain sections unprotected. What you can do is use
>> styles to
>> apply number and bullet formatting. For example, apply bullet formatting
>> by
>> applying the List Bullet style (Ctrl+Shift+L).
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "jen" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm currently working on a template (.dotx) for Word 2007 where I want
>> > protected several sections with the 'Filling in forms' protection. So
>> > far
>> > it's ok - but in the unprotected section I'm unable to use things like
>> > 'Bullets' and 'Numbering' - why is this, and mere importantly how do I
>> > solve
>> > this?
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
>> >
>> > /JEN

0
Stefan

Display and calc of time formatted colum
Errr. I need a bit of help from someone please. I'm using Office XP and in Excel, what I want to do is create a column of time(s). The time is displayed as - mm:ss:xxx - so that e.g. 3:29:917 (means) 3 min, 29 secs, and .917 of a sec A. Is the format achievable as a display and if so, how? B. Can the numbers be aggregated (summed) Hi Bazza! Format mm:ss.000 But watch your data entry is 00:03:29.917 You can aggregate in the normal way =A1+B1+C1 However, if you don't want minutes to change to hours after you get to 60 use: [mm]:ss.000 Similarly if you don't want hours...

unicode versus ansi format
I'm guessing it should be possible to look through a hex editor, to determine if a particular PST file is in the Outlook 2003 PST (unicode) format, or pre-2003 (ansi) .. has anyone done this? What is the tell tale sign to look for - what bytes or set of bytes do i need to pay attention ot? Why bother with a Hex editor - just open Data file management to see what format the .pst file is in. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook} Please post all followup questions to the newsgroups only to keep the discussion intact. "chengbanger@gmail.com" wrote: > I'm guessing it should ...

Number formatting #6
I want to use an endash in a format for zeroes in a financial statement. I cannot seem to get the format to recognize a special character. Any help would be appreciated. Excel has that built in under format>cells>number accounting format otherwise if you use custom format hold down alt key while typing 0150 on the numpad, release alt key -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Mary Lue" <mlfarrell@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:3b7801c3fe46$0dbea6b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I want to use an endash in a format for zeroes in a > financial statement. I cannot seem to ...

conditional formatting with FORMULA... Please HELP!
Hi all, I have price data in rows like this (each price takes up a cell): 5 5.43 6 6.25 6.50 8 15 9.25 9 8.75 8.50 8.50 8.50 8.50 13 I need to show trends via conditional formatting where on 3 or more consecutive days prices fluctuate EQUALLY by 0.25 or more each time, up or down... IE, with the above data, I would want to "flag" let's say, in red fill color, the sequence 6, 6.25, 6.50 as well as the group 9.25, 9, 8.75, 8.50, but NOT the group of 8.50, 8.50, 8.50. I have tried if/and/or statements again and again and come close on simpler tre...

Excel Chart Formula Displayed in Scientific Format
For some reason, the when I insert a trend line into a graph, the formula comes up with one part of it in scientific format (y = 2750.2x2 - 64597x + 2E+06). I konw the last expression in the formula is $2,000,000 but this is rounded- and I need to know what the exact amount is. I have tried extending the formula box, but that doesn't work. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance. See www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips on the use of LINEST to get the values into cells - then you can have what ever format you need and there is no need to copy the values. -- Bernard Liengme www....

Fraction Formatting #2
Set the fomat of the cell as # ??.?? Do this by selecting Format-Cells-Number-Custom and in the box for Type, enter the above format (or select it from the list if it is present. Enjoy! Knoxi --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- ...

Pick up and Apply formatting
In Publisher 2000 I used to be able to right click on a text frame and "pick up formatting" then right click on a new text frame and "apply formatting." It was extremely useful when doing a newsletter. I could easily (the keyword is easily) change frames to 1 column, 2 column, 3 column or change fonts or font sizes. Now I have Publisher 2002 and I can't find pick up and/or apply formatting ANYWHERE. Am I the only person in the world who used this wonderful feature? Why in the world would you discontinue something so useful in an "upgrade"? Can anyone ...

Formatting Negative times
I'm trying to display the difference in the amount of time I exercise from month to month. Sometimes, it's negative. using a formula in EXCEL: =IF(AND(ISNUMBER(Q3),ISNUMBER(C3),C3>0,Q3>0),IF((T3-F3) >0,TEXT((T3-F3),"m:ss"),TEXT(-(T3-F3),"-"&"m:ss")),""), it works fine (the cells are in excel time, days). When I write a macro to do the same thing using: Cells(r, SumTAvgCol + DColD) = Format(-a, "-" & "mm:ss") I get -12:26. Always 12 as the minutes. If I use: Cells(r, SumTAvgCol + DColD) = Format(-a, &q...

Check Box Formatting ??
Hello Everyone. Its me again. Please can you help me with the following. I have a workbook with 13 sheets in it. Name of first sheet is Holidays. The others are named Apr, May, ......... Mar. I would like to place a check box (if this is the right thing to use)on each monthly sheet that would send the value of cell Mar!I48 to Holidays!D13 and Mar!I50 to Holidays!D17 in one operation. If the check box is ticked the values of I48 and I50 should be transfered. If not ticked the value should default to zero. This is to be repeated on Apr, May etc obvioulsy to different cells on the the ...

Outlook 2003 and .htm formatted messages
There must be a fix for this one. When a message comes into my Outlook 2003 box that is .htm formatted and not ..html the item show up as an attachment instead of in the main body window of the Outlook pane. Anyone find a fix/change for this? Cheers! Derek D Derek D <derek@sbs.microsoftlist.com> wrote: > When a message comes into my Outlook 2003 box that is .htm formatted > and not .html the item show up as an attachment instead of in the > main body window of the Outlook pane. You asked this in m.p.outlook.general also. Don't multipost. -- Brian Tillman What ...

Document won't hold formatting
Please, please help. I am extremely frustrated that I cannot get a document to hold the formatting I have created for it. Everything is fine while I have the document open and am working on it and do not have trouble when I periodically save it, but when I close the document and reopen it, all of the formatting is wrong Headers are moved over almost to the page border, font sizes are changed and numbering is added to subheads that should not be numbered. I have the correct template attached and at this point I'm about to pull my hair out. Make sure that you do not have &...

lost cell formats
I am using excel 2007 on a dual monitor set up. I have had a number of spreadsheets then when opened have "lost" all the graphics - color, underlines etc. This has happened a number of different spreadsheets. Once it happens you cannot get the spreadsheet to save any graphics - you cannot add it back. When it reopens its gone again. These sheets are saves as .XLS sheets. Any idea what is doing this? ...

FRx Report Export Column Heading Format Error
I just installed the FRx SP2. When I export the report to Excel, the column heading format is off 3 columns. For example the first 3 columns are Actuals Cur Mo, Prior Mo, Budget. I merged or have a box around the three columns to say "Actual". I also have a box around each word Cur Mo, Prior, Budget. In the excel file, the first three columns don't have any formatting but the next three over do. HELP! ...

Macro help need with worksheet unprotect/protect and closing an externally referenced file...
Hi, I have the following macro that will shell out and open another spreadsheet to bring some data back into my workbook. Somehow, I need this macro to close that externally referenced file (without saving) once it opens it, manipulates some data and copies it to bring back into my workbook. Everything works now except the closing part. The second part of my problem is that one of the sheets in this workbook is protected because of a macro button I have on that sheet. It's protected without a password. I need to get the protection to temporarily be turned off to do some things and the...

Tips & tricks conditional formatting
Tips & tricks conditional formatting I have txtbox1 I do for this text box conditional format Expression Txtbox1=txtbox1 Formating Font:Bold Color: Red This code work very good to color txtbox1 in the subform give me nice idea to color column My Question is: 1-Why this Expression Work Correctly? 2- this code work if there is a value in the text box if there is no value the txtbox1 become white the default !!! My question is how also color the txtbox1 where is no value? Mr. John W. Vinson [MVP] How are you I'm happy to hear from you .. You are really Very good Man ...

conditional format cut& paste change? 2007 vs. 2003--relative formulas?
aack.. I went to 2007.. so far, ok- one I can't solve probelem. I have a cell with conditional formatting.. in part it reads =VALUE(RIGHT(FE2,4)) < 1-FE$84 time was (2003) if I selected that cell, copied-- went to another cell, paste special, formats then the 'fe' '2' 'FE' but NOT the '84' parts above would change relative to the new location so if I went one cell down, one cell right I'd get =VALUE(RIGHT(FF3,4)) < 1-FF$84 now when I do this same paste special, I'm getting all original values-- as if they all had $ in front of them ...

Incompatible File Formats When Emailed
I have just switched from PC to Mac. When I email Word documents created in Word X as an attachment, the PC-using recipient gets a file with the extension .mme. This file won't open in Word for Windows. When they send the file back to me, I get a .doc file which I can open in Word X. I'm also sometimes getting emailed attachments that are titled winmail.dat. One file started out as a .jpg and another as a ..doc. I'm saving all my files with .doc, .xls, etc. What is the problem here? On 12/11/03 4:19 PM, in article f6815f36.0312111419.30dd0648@posting.google.com, "Vanes...

What graphic file format prints best out of Excel?
I'm having trouble with my graphics printing out clearing from Excel. I've imported some logos onto a spreadsheet and it look nice on the screen but prints very fuzzy. Any suggestions? Thanks! Maybe Printer Setup............set for "best quality" Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "MCmomma" wrote: > I'm having trouble with my graphics printing out clearing from Excel. I've > imported some logos onto a spreadsheet and it look nice on the screen but > prints very fuzzy. Any suggestions? Thanks! ...

Page format changes when document is shared
I have an Excel document that was created by someone else. I saved it and shared it. When printing, the page format is different for others than it is for me. Also, the page format changes for those users if I turn the "save" function off. How can I get the page format to be the same for each user. Everyone is using the same version of Excel. ...

access 2000 converting text to number format
a database in my office was created and the person who designed it put every field in a table as a text field. the numbers that are in those fields need to be change to a number to related to other tables. is there VB code or script to change it? or any other waY? Can you change the data type of the field to be Number? ...

Conditional Format if cell value is odd
Hi all, Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks a bunch, Michele Please state your question in the body of the message, not in the subject. =ISODD(A1) Tyro "mjones" <michele@quality-computing.com> wrote in message news:c6bc0e02-00c7-4d33-b85b-0c8ce728d3b9@l16g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > Does anyone know how to do this? > > Thanks a bunch, > > Michele If the cell value you want to check is A1, then: formula is =3Dmod(A1,2) =3D 0 hope that helps Carlo On Feb 12, 10:05=A0am, mjones <mich...@quality-computing.com> wrote: >...

how do I make Excel default to General number format?
I have installed Excel 97 but the General cell format insists on formatting as the number format with two decimal places. Is the number you enter already a two decimal number? General removes any type of formating, and represents the contens as WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet "rjmo" wrote: > I have installed Excel 97 but the General cell format insists on formatting > as the number format with two decimal places. You may have accidentally changed the "Normal" Style. Go to Format | Style... and make sure "General" is applied to the "Normal" style. ...

Conditional Formatting Dates 02-18-10
I am attempting to highlight past due dates (I am horrible with the formula's and can not seem to figure out how to NOT highlight if there is no information in the cell's) A1=Planned date and A2=Completed date Conditions I am trying to figure out 1. Would like A1 to highlight RED if less than Now and A1 is NOT BLANK or A2 is BLANK 2. Would like A2 to highlight green if filled out and less than or equal to A1 Thanks anyone that can help!!! Katie CF formula for A1: =OR(ISBLANK(A2),AND(A1<TODAY(),ISNUMBER(A1))) CF formula for A2: =AND(ISNUMBER(A2),A2<=A1...

Can I Sum by Cell Colour or Format?
I have a large list of values, these values have been colour coded. I would like to sum each of the colours seperately. I know i can add a filter, sort by colour & sum this for each coulour, but am wondering if there is a formula that would do this for me? Ashley, have a look here http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/sum-count-cells-by-color.htm -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Ashley" wrote: > I have a large list of values,...

Formatting currency with the cents but without the decimal point
I have a client who needs to export check information in a text format. The bank is requiring that all fields take x number of characters, which I have been able to do except that the check amount needs to read 10 digits without the decimal place. ie: $247.84 becomes 0000024784. I can get it to 00000247.84 with the function Format([CkAmount],00000000.00) but the minute I take out the decimal, I get a decimal, I get 0000000247. I should also mention that this is an Access 97 db that has to be totally redone at some point in a later version. It won't convert to any higher a ...