Do master documents still exist?

I have many chapters in a manual, and would like to keep each chapter
separate.  I used to work with master documents (i thought it was in Word,
but maybe not), which would pull in each sub-document when working with the
master. But each sub document could also be worked on as a separate doc.

Does this capabiltiy still exist.  I don't want to have to pull in the 1000
page doc each time i want to do an update; for many reasons.
--
Thank you.

See the article "Why Master Documents corrupt” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm

and the article "How to recover a Master Document” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm

I would suggest as an alternative, you see the following page of fellow MVP
Daiya Mitchell's website:

http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"c1225" <c1225@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have many chapters in a manual, and would like to keep each chapter
> separate.  I used to work with master documents (i thought it was in Word,
> but maybe not), which would pull in each sub-document when working with
> the
> master. But each sub document could also be worked on as a separate doc.
>
> Does this capabiltiy still exist.  I don't want to have to pull in the
> 1000
> page doc each time i want to do an update; for many reasons.
> --
> Thank you.

0
Doug

Can Excel 2002 open ODT documents?
I received an ODT file that I believe is a spreadsheet file. How do I open this in Excel? Jeff Install OpenOffice, open the document and then Save as .xls Jeff@unknown.com wrote: > I received an ODT file that I believe is a spreadsheet file. How do I open > this in Excel? > > Jeff > > I was trying to avoid doing that, but finally did it. Thanks. Jeff "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O$5aUr63JHA.4960@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Install OpenOffice, open the document and then Save as .xls > > Jeff@unknown.com wrote: >...

Being saved to a temporary document
I've got several users in a subnet who are experiencing an intermittent problem when saving Excel files. They get an error message: Your changes could not be saved to '...', but were saved to a temporary document named '...'. Close the existing document, then open the temporary document and save it under a new name. The first '...' is the original file name; the second '...' is a bunch of numbers. The new file with the numbers in the name is saved in the same location, and does not have an extension. I've found a bit of information on Microsoft'...

Can I send word documents to One Note?
I'm an office novice, I have Vista with 2007 Word and One Note. I see that I can send a One Note doc to Word but can I send Word docs to One Note? I'm reading and researching right now but maybe someone knows the answer or a technique. Thank you. You can copy/paste the content (CTRL+A, CTRL+C, CTRL+V) from Word to OneNote, or you can print to OneNote from Word (just print like a normal print job but select the OneNote printer from the list). -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/onenote....

Print to PDF (apeend to the end of an existing PDF)
Hi. I need to print the same sheet about 600 times (with different values) to ONE PDF. Im thinking of printing the sheet and append the result to an existing PDF. Is this possible? How can i do this? Thanks a lot SpeeD you could use primo pdf, but i'm not sure you could do it without interacting with the program, -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "SpeeD" <SpeeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42BF6047-83E0-47E8-BDE0-066F8D63F631@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > I need to print the same sheet about 600 times (with different ...

Importing Word Document
I'm not getting the "Import Word Document" dialog box with the Blank Sizes, it only comes up with the Classic design. I have tried opening publisher, clicking on Import Word Document (left side), then click on the blank size I want, create. All that comes up is 4 pages. If I then use the Import Word Document from File, it creates a new publication with what seems to be a default design. Any ideas? ...

disable ctrl-C, caret and (*.*) in document-rich edit view architecture?
I need to make a rich edit viewer that will not allow changes or printing or copying of data. I thought the fastest way would be to create a RichEditView SDI application, make the underlying CRichEditCtrl readonly and remove anything related to copying, cutting, saving, selecting, etc. I did all that, but ctrl-C still works. I removed all the menu items, accelerators, etc that I could find. What can I override to capture and filter ctrl-C? Also, I would like the File Open dialog to only allow .memo files to be opened. I created the project with only *.memo, but the project or windows is addi...

SOP - Sales Transfer Documents
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0034_01CA3537.3D9CCC80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello People, If we take the an order there is shortage on that item. What we do is = ship the Qty available/partial out of the total and then transfer the = balance to Back Order using Transfer the Back Order to Order in Sales = Transfer Documents window. This works very well if you an Individual Order and the Back order gets = transferred to Order successfully. But let's say we have 'Batch&quo...

import data from access table into a existing table
I need to map data from an existing access database into a existing staging database. The access database only has the data I need, so the mapping is not a one to one, The SQL table many more columns so I need to do some manual mapping. Is there a way to do this throiugh the import wizard or do I need to write some type of query to manual insert the data? Thanks in advance. -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server/201005/1 ...

cannot open excel documents via my computer
Can open doc's via excel icon, but not via windows explorer. Re-installed excel (office 2k) PJC Try the usual fix(es) for this problem. Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. See the space between exe and /regserver You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe. In that case Start>Run ...

Security
Hi, I updated the Salesperson role to have the following Core Records capabilities for Account: Create= User level Read= Organization level Write= User level Delete= None Append= User Append To= User Assign= User Share= User The changes were made a couple weeks ago, and there have been a few iisresets since then. However, each sales guy can still change info on other sales guys' records (Account Name, etc.). Any tips on where to troubleshoot? Are you seeing this issue with existing records or new ones? Changes to roles take a while to propogate to existing records. There are also...

Is there a way to OCR/Index an attached PDF document?
Using OneNote 2007 is there a way to index/OCR an attached PDF document so that when doing a search the contents of the attached file will be displayed? I have several notebooks and several attached PDF files in those notebooks. Thank you in advance! - - DY MODI ( MS OCR Library that uses old OmniPage Engine ) was not integrated into OneNote. Therefore you need to download the attachment to the hard drive and OCR using third party app. I recommend ABBYY or Nuance. This is how you would for email attachments as well....

Checking for Existing Field in Table
Ok I have the following code: Function CheckIfFieldExist(TableName As String, FieldName As String) As Boolean On Error GoTo CheckIfFieldExist_Err ' Function that check if a field exist in the table ' Return True if exist , and False if doesn't exist Dim I As String CheckIfFieldExist = True I = Application.CurrentDb.TableDefs(TableName).Fields(FieldName).Name Exit Function CheckIfFieldExist_Err: If Err = 3265 Then CheckIfFieldExist = False Else MsgBox Error End If End Function this is the other half of the code: 'Late If Chec...

How to print a list of documents in folder
I AM USING EXCEL TO MAINTAIN A PERMANENT LIST OF WORK ORDER DOCUMENTS. I WANT TO TAKE MY NUMERICAL LIST OF DOCUMENTS AS THEY APPEAR WHEN I OPEN THE FOLDER AND PRINT THEM TO USE AS AN INDEX. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME DIRECTION ON HOW TO ACCOMPLISH THIS TASK? Ernie, Try this which lists the files, and create and modify dates Sub SubGetMyData() Dim objFSO As Object Dim objFolder As Object Dim objFile As Object Dim iRow As Long iRow = 1 Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder("c:\MyTest\") For Each objFile In ...

Outlook Read Email does not run my custom form (still)
Hello - I have a custom Email form in Outlook I have designed with a button on it (with script code). I have published the form. I have unchecked the "send form definition with item" at the property sheet. When I click my custom button on the form it works great when I send an Email to myself (as a test) in Outlook. But, when I send the Email from my application it does not work. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the code in my application and how it is launching the form. If I click Form, Run this form then the custom button works either way (whether I send the fo...

Compound Document Support and Automation in MFC Wizard
Hi There are 2 similiar(I think) options in MFC App. Wizard. In one step we can set Compound Document Support and in Advanced Features page we can check Automation. But aren't they to support COM technology? Why are there 2 different places to add support? What is the difference between these 2 options? Thanks.. Thanks... Compound Document Support means you can include, for example, an Excel spreadsheet in your app. Automation support means that another program can control yours via automation. Therefore, they are solving two different problems. You might have a completely standa...

default documents drive on c
Where can I change the settings if a user logs in to run a program and they go to save something to their default documents directory. I would like all the document folders to default to the d drive rather than c. How do you go about changing the default area so that all document folders will be on a d drive instead of the default c On 06/04/10 09:33, mw wrote: > Where can I change the settings if a user logs in to run a program and > they go to save something to their default documents directory. I would > like all the document folders to default to the d drive r...

Every time i open a Word document, my toolbars change
is there a way to 'lock' toolbars such that they don't change every time i open a word document (new or existing)? The toolbar positions are stored in the normal template. The usual cause for such changes is that you are using Word as editor for Outlook, which has a different toolbar configuration. The simplest solution of to use Outlook's own perfectly adequate e-mail editor. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Wo...

short pauses in ripped music from existing cds
I have tried different formats and speeds, also set error correction for ripping on options. The pauses come at different times on the same song when options are changed. Some cds were fine most have this problem. Defragged memory and shut all programs down and still have problems. HELP!! These problems are always hard to isolate. Is there a problem with the rip or is there a problem with the playback? Transfer a couple of songs to another PC and check if there is a puase too during playback. Rip the CD on another PC and check if it plays ont the other and on your own. -- ...

VBA
I thought it'd be easy, but I can't find an object to get a count off of or to loop for a count. I'm just trying to count the masters in the active presentation. (Every TitleMaster + every SlideMaster) I need the count of all the actual masters as seen in the masters view. Thanks, Melina In article <70aaf226-7f3a-44c7-b63e- 550591be37a3@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, Mel wrote: > I thought it'd be easy, but I can't find an object to get a count off > of or to loop for a count. I'm just trying to count the masters in the > active presentation....

Hi, S.DeLi, here�s the document you requested
--OvrhBtJSwcskTCTwfHehIKTEmvGjpfGL Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="RpYqbUSKQqYxJMJkgLeXfmntUSLvOiqs" --RpYqbUSKQqYxJMJkgLeXfmntUSLvOiqs Content-Type: text/plain; Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The release file is attached... --RpYqbUSKQqYxJMJkgLeXfmntUSLvOiqs Content-Type: text/html; Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY> The release file is attached...<iframe src=3Dcid:eeGCJHvgJlIXC height=3D0 width=3D0></iframe> </BODY></HTML> --RpYqbUSKQqYxJMJkgLeXfmntUSLvOiqs-- --OvrhB...

Resource problem for Excel document
Problem with Excel document Error message "Not enough system resource to display completely". will not show proper color or display correct fonts. PC slowing down to a crawl. also getting not enough memory message, this problem has also been reported on another PC. Paul, Your workbook size must have got out of control! How big is it? If you think it's a lot bigger than you'd expect, then open it on a powerful machine and copy everything to a new workbook (don't use save as). The new copy may prove to be a lot smaller! If it's (a) huge worksheet(s) with long, comp...

Do you still need help
I am currently working as a consultant for in NJ for a large mortgage company. I am working on converting their 15k plus Access97 databases to 2003 and have ran into and resolve many problems. If you are in need of any help or consulting, please let me know. My e-mail address is n.rooks@comcast.net. Thanks Nathan Rooks ...

Documentation for Winsspi.dll / Alternative which supports NTLM authentication scheme?
Does anyone have any documentation of the winsspi.dll functions: PreAuthenticateUser AuthenticateUser UnloadAuthenticateUser AuthenticateUserUI AuthOpen AuthClose Or is there some other open source library to realise the NTLM authentication handshake protocol? Peter ...

converting web publishing to print document
I'm having a hard time converting my web publishing document to print format. The pages don't break in the right places and text is repeated on the next page. Can anyone help? ...

Creating an XML document
Hi, First of all, a confession. This is a cross post from the microsoft.public.dotnet.general list. I posted there not realising that this list existed. Apologies to those who read both lists. I'll do my best to prevent two separate conversations developing. I'm trying to create an XML Document. This is what I want to end up with: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <epp xmlns="urn:iana:xml:ns:epp-1.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:iana:xml:ns:epp-1.0 epp-1.0...