Do master documents still exist?

I have many chapters in a manual, and would like to keep each chapter
separate.  I used to work with master documents (i thought it was in Word,
but maybe not), which would pull in each sub-document when working with the
master. But each sub document could also be worked on as a separate doc.

Does this capabiltiy still exist.  I don't want to have to pull in the 1000
page doc each time i want to do an update; for many reasons.
--
Thank you.

See the article "Why Master Documents corrupt” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm

and the article "How to recover a Master Document” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm

I would suggest as an alternative, you see the following page of fellow MVP
Daiya Mitchell's website:

http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"c1225" <c1225@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have many chapters in a manual, and would like to keep each chapter
> separate.  I used to work with master documents (i thought it was in Word,
> but maybe not), which would pull in each sub-document when working with
> the
> master. But each sub document could also be worked on as a separate doc.
>
> Does this capabiltiy still exist.  I don't want to have to pull in the
> 1000
> page doc each time i want to do an update; for many reasons.
> --
> Thank you.

0
Doug

String to xml document

Word Document 01-14-10
I have two Word documents saved. Everytime I access one of these documents to make a change, the cursor just freezes as soon as I hit any key. I have to hit Ctnl, Alt, Del to exit the document because the entire page is locked up. What causes this and how do I get by this freezing? Thanks. -- tramonte50 See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. tramonte50 wrote: > I have two Word ...

Dictionary.Add() defeat already exists exception
Is there a switch somewhere, or a different hash, that will allow me to add the same key again and again with out throwing? Thank you. On 5/9/2010 12:16 PM, cate wrote: > Is there a switch somewhere, or a different hash, that will allow me > to add the same key again and again with out throwing? > Thank you. If you had two keys named "FindMe", one pointing to "Fred", one pointing to "Barney", then how would code know which to return for MyDictionary ["FindMe"]? There actually is a trick, but to use the trick, you would need to h...

Adding a 2nd exchange server to an existing site.
We are looking to add a 2nd Exchange 2003 server to our org. We would like to have this server offsite in case of natural disater, power outage etc. Is there any way that both servers can have an up to date mailbox store for the users without 3rd party tools to synchronize this? Also- if not, why is this the case? Also would we need to adhere again to Microsoft licensing for this server or would our current cals and license still be legit? Thanks for your help. -- Mr.Max You are talking about a DR or GeoClustering solution and there is no way to do this natively in Exchange. You will...

UML Documentation
I have Use Case Diagrams with Documentation. When I save it as Web Page, the Documentation content is not visible. I believe it is a basic functionality that should be available - can anybody help. ...

Error Opening Word Document
I have an email containing several attachments (word, pdf). When trying to open a one word documents i get the following error: "This object was created in Outlook. This application is not available to open this object. Make sure the application is properly installed and that it has not been deleted, moved, or renamed." The same emails works fine from other machines. Tried everything, new outlook profile, online/cache mode, remove word as editor, office repair, even the SP1 for office that MS says it solves it, and many other things. The same email works fne from other machin...

Iterate through shape's master shapes
Hi, I prepared master slide M1 with one special shape. I put into that shape some information ( in tags property). Now I am creating new slides A,B,C and I use that one master slide M1 for this and I add new shapes on that new slides A, B, C. What I want to achieve is go through all new slides, then get shape which belongs to master slide and change its text to something different on each slide. But in Shapes collection in current slide there is no master's slide. So I check myPresentation.Slides[i].Master.Shapes[j] and I found my special shape with tag data inside. Then ...

Microsoft office document
In the previous versions of office there was a office letter documnet, how do I access it on office 2007? "Marty" <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F506BF29-D379-44A1-9163-2192D6DF6934@microsoft.com... > In the previous versions of office there was a office letter documnet, how > do > I access it on office 2007? Presumably you are talking about the letter wizard? Doesn't exist in 2007 AFAIK. there are plenty of templates available.. BTW, how is this an OUTLOOK question? ...

How to email directly from publisher a document in the main body .
I am tring to email a flyer that I constructed in publisher. I do not want to send it as an attachement What version of Windows, Publisher, Outlook and Outlook Express are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "boxtteri" <boxtteri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E25049D9-676C-4ACD-8B6E-DFD83CB04267@microsoft.com... >I am tring to email a flyer that I constructed in publisher. I do not want >to > send it as an attache...

word copying style from one document to another

MODI (microsoft Office Document Imaging)
Ive just recently installed MODI in my new hp computer and cant get the search to work. It doesn't look for what i type. Im using Windows 7Home Premium 64-Bit And Microsoft Office Standard 2007 If anyone has ANY ideas it would be appreciated! Its urgent as it is my work computer. Regards TwiceAsNice2 What exactly are you trying to search? MODI is just a printer driver that allows you to create a document that can be sent via email etc just like we used to create a pdf file from Office document until M$ came out with "Save As" tool for Office 2007. MODI a...

Series collection exists
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01C4DCB6.6B191120 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a pivot table with 69 columns and 42 rows created with VB from = another table of values. I am trying to loop through the = seriescollection representing each of the columns. I have noticed that = I cannot refer to seriescollection(i) when that set of y-values (column) = has no values in it. I receive the message: "Select method of Series = class failed." Run time error '1004&#...

Add Second DPM Server use "existing protection groups"
I have a question about adding a second DPM Server, and what to backup. In MS TechNet bb795680 number 3 states "You can use an existing protection group or create a new protection group for the primary DPM server." When I look on the second DPM server all I see are the shares and drives of the first DPM server and the protected servers that it is protecting, I don't see any protection groups. I can however create new protection groups on the second DPM server. Also it states on the same page second set number 1 "each of these data sources can be selected as a p...

Excel not opening documents correctly
I double click an Excel file in windows explorer, Excel starts, but the file doesn't open. Minimize Excel and then maximize and the file is open. Using 2007. Any help would be appreciated "s.edwards" wrote: > I double click an Excel file in windows explorer, Excel starts, but the file > doesn't open. Minimize Excel and then maximize and the file is open. > > Using 2007. Any help would be appreciated let me add... that I've made sure "Ignore other applications" is unchecked and ran the excel.exe /unregserver and excel.exe /r...

eConnect Documentation #2
Hi, I am tasked to use eConnect to import couple of hundred thousand items from various vendors into item master. I need to use eConnect to do this. I have installed eConnect, but do not know where to start. I am looking for VB.Net code for importing this information and serializing. Please Help! Nupur ...

how do I delete documents from the recent doccument box(excel)
how do I delete documents from the recent doccument box(excel) You can't delete individual documents, but if you want to clear the list, use Tools/ Options/ General, and set Recently used file list to zero entries. You can then set it back to a non-zero number to let it start a new list. -- David Biddulph "john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:642A60D6-5321-40E8-A5AE-9B1F58511824@microsoft.com... > how do I delete documents from the recent doccument box(excel) This works ok for me in xl2003--but I've never tested it in x...

attaching documents to templates
I would like to send an email with an attachment via the "direct email" tool but cannot find any way to attach a document to a template. I run a query to develop a list of recipients and then send a direct mail to the list using a template. Any suggestions/work-arounds would be appreciated. As far as I know, this isn't possible with the "Send Direct E-mail" command. Only if you send an individual email via the Email Activity or within Outlook is an email attachment possible. -- www.ecentra.com Online Business Software Portal "Rajan Kapoor" <nospam@eu...

Changing a word throughout a document
I have written a story. I wish to change the name of a character that appears many times throughout the manuscript. To change each instance of the name manually will be painfully tedious. Is there a way to change each instance with a single maneuver? -- enyaw Replace? CTRL+H -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< >&...

anyway to limit printing of documents
For files saved in server, how can I limit only a certain people can print my contents, while other people still hv read/write/edit rights. i hv posted in file system group, but no reply. Hello, This is a server side issue. The server admin should set a folder for your files to be saved into, then set permissions for everyone who needs to access the folder. It also varies with the server you/the admin are running. Regards Peter "Soe Nandar" wrote: > For files saved in server, how can I limit only a certain people can print my > contents, while other people still hv read/...

how do I change read-only security on a publisher document?
I created a web site with publisher 2007. I saved it and published it to an internal network. Now I am unable to make any edits or changes to it. I need help figuring out how to re-enter edit mode so I can add/delete etc. I suggest that you copy the file to your local hard drive, right-click on it, left-click Properties, and untick the Read-Only attribute. Once you have made the changes, re-save the file to the network drive. Hope this helps, Bruce "Frustrated" wrote: > I created a web site with publisher 2007. I saved it and published it to an > internal network. Now ...

Master List Losing Record Due to Update from Links
I have a master document that is linked to 7 other excel sheets. Now the other excel sheets are modified by different users and the master document is for generating reports. But I found out that whenever new records are added in the attached excel sheets, I lose some data from the Master sheet. Please any help would be highly appreciated. Kenneth, Sounds like the "post" command that you have is overwriting data on the master. How are you posting data from the 7 others onto the master? Macro? Without knowing it's hard to tell what's really going on. "Kenne...

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Chronograph Lady Stainless Steel Ladies Watch 1748470, Best Wristwatch World
Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Chronograph Lady Stainless Steel Ladies Watch 1748470, Best Wristwatch World Click Here To Website : http://www.watchebay.net/Jaeger-LeCoultre-Master-Compressor-Chronograph-Lady-Stainless-Steel-Ladies-Watch-1748470.html Wristwatch World: http://www.watchebay.net/ Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Chronograph Lady Stainless Steel Ladies Watch 1748470 Information : Brand : Jaeger LeCoultre Watches ( http://www.watchebay.net/Jaeger-LeCoultre-Watches.html ) Gender : Ladies Code : jaeger-le-coultre-compressor-1748470 Also Called : Cas...

APAYs thought I thought were cancelled are still being sent
BIG PROBLEM- I had cancelled APAYS in Money 2003. No problem. Now I have upgraded to Money 2004 and these long dead APAYS are automatically being transmitted to my bank and I cannot prevent this from happening because they are not appearing on my sceduled bills calendar. I have no apparent way of preventing this so I have been resorting to cancelling payment after the transaction appears in my register! Call your bank and tell them that you tried to cancel but since it didn't work, you need to have them manually cancel the Apay. "Carlos" <carlostim@msn.com> wrote...

How can I use strikethrough in a Publisher 2007 document?
I want to use strikethrough on some text within a textbox in a Publisher 2007 document, but I cannot find that option under formatting font. Under the Edit tab, I see "Edit Story Using Microsoft Word" and this takes me to a screen where I can get at the MSWord strikethrough formatting, but when I close that window, the strikethrough disappears. The only way to have strikethrough in Publisher is to select the line tool and draw a line through the text. -- Don Vancouver, USA "JoAnn" <JoAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49640...