Cannot "Page Setup" feature

Good morning
I have been editing a book of ca 170 pages. Up until last Thursday I could
access "page setup", the "Column" feature of the "Index and Reference" etc. I
do not know what I might have done; however, now the Table of Contents show
only 20 pages even though the entire book is present, the "Page Setup" is
grayed out and I cannot access it, and other features suich as restoring the
two column format for the indices at the end of the book no longer function.
Can you tell me what I may have done and how to fix it. I tried just copying
the file and inserting it into a new document to fix the problem; however
that did not work.
Thank you in advance for any help you might give me.
Jim Chaffee
--
James E Chaffee MAOM L Ac
Marlborough Ma 01752

If the problem is a corrupted document, as seems likely, that corruption is
probably in the invisible data that Word stores in the structure represented
by the last paragraph mark in the document. An often successful technique is
to copy everything except that last paragraph mark, and paste into a new
blank document.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm for this and other
suggestions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jim Chaffee wrote:
> Good morning
> I have been editing a book of ca 170 pages. Up until last Thursday I
> could access "page setup", the "Column" feature of the "Index and
> Reference" etc. I do not know what I might have done; however, now
> the Table of Contents show only 20 pages even though the entire book
> is present, the "Page Setup" is grayed out and I cannot access it,
> and other features suich as restoring the two column format for the
> indices at the end of the book no longer function. Can you tell me
> what I may have done and how to fix it. I tried just copying the file
> and inserting it into a new document to fix the problem; however that
> did not work.
> Thank you in advance for any help you might give me.
> Jim Chaffee

0
Jay
1/25/2010 3:17:44 PM
Is there a possibility that a portion of the book has inadvertently gotten
typed or pasted into the endnotes or index section?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Jim Chaffee" <JimChaffee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good morning
> I have been editing a book of ca 170 pages. Up until last Thursday I could
> access "page setup", the "Column" feature of the "Index and Reference"
> etc. I
> do not know what I might have done; however, now the Table of Contents
> show
> only 20 pages even though the entire book is present, the "Page Setup" is
> grayed out and I cannot access it, and other features suich as restoring
> the
> two column format for the indices at the end of the book no longer
> function.
> Can you tell me what I may have done and how to fix it. I tried just
> copying
> the file and inserting it into a new document to fix the problem; however
> that did not work.
> Thank you in advance for any help you might give me.
> Jim Chaffee
> --
> James E Chaffee MAOM L Ac
> Marlborough Ma 01752

0
Suzanne

Disabling Page Setup?
Hi, I'm fairly new to Excel and was wondering how one might be able t Disable the Page Setup menu in Excel? Any suggestions would b appreciated. Thank you -- Plazzm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Plazzma's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2523 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38722 Hi Sub test() Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").FindControl _ (ID:=247, Recursive:=True).Enabled = False End Sub You must also disable printpreview See for more info ...

copying page setups within a workbook
The first page in my workbook is formatted exactly the way I want all pages in the workbook to look, INCLUDING the page set-up i.e. header, footer, paper size, margins etc... How do I copy these setting to subsequent pages within my work book? Thanks, doc Select the page that has all the formatting. Hold down <Ctrl> and select the other page tabs that you wish to have the same format. After you release <Ctrl>, make sure your *master* page tab is in bold. Now go into page set-up and simply click <OK>. -- HTH, RD =======================================================...

Page setup #3
I am unable to 2 different page setups in Microsoft Publisher within the same document. I want, for example, page 1 to be in Portrait layout, page 2 in Landscape and page 3 in Portrait. But when I change one page to, for example, Landscape layout, the rest of the pages also turn out in Landscape. How do I change different pages in different layout?? P.S. I've tried creating a new master page for the landscape page, but that didn't work either. Carol <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am unable to 2 different page setups in Microsof...

Page Setup Problem with Access 2003
I copied a database file from one PC to another and now have problems with page setup for reports in the second PC. The page size has been changed in the copied version from A4 to Letter and Page Setup will not let me change that setting. (it will let me change from Landscape to Portrait but will not allow the paper size to be changed). The printer default settings are all OK and Page Setup for reports in other Access databases act normally. What has gone wrong and how do I fix the problem? ...

change page setup from printing 1 business card to 2 rows of 5
the program wont let me make this simple change. all i want to do is set up the page so that it prints the card in two rows of 5 but there is no way to change it. Oh but there is, give this a try. Here's I do it with Publisher 2000. File Page Setup Special Size Business Card from the drop down menu OK Create card. Assuming you are using standard business card stock of 2 wide and 5 high; File Print Page options button Print multiple copies per sheet Custom options button Margins = .5" Gap = 0" Side Margins =...

workbook page setup changing on different computers
This has happened to me a couple of times - when my workbook is opened on another computer (primarily our print room co-ordinator who has to send the document to print) the page breaks are not as I saved them. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a logical explanation for this and how can I format it so that it doesn't happen? Any suggestions/tips appreciated. You and the coordinator should use the same printer and same print driver versions. -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA "jennlah" <jennlah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90E18F1...

How do I restore page setup/view to normal?
I don't know how it happened, but the way my doc is viewed on the screen is all messed up. There is no margin on it (the blinking line for typing is at the very top of the page) despite repeated clicking on "Normal Margin." When I go to "Print Preview" everything looks ok, but the normal view is very off. The proportions aren't right, but the point is, I don't know how to restore/reset everything to normal. Please help! Thanks! See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fa...

Why does the source on Page Setup keep changing from 'sheet' to '.
Have been trying to print a 4 page folded brochure on 11 x 17 paper. After setting both the Page Setup and the Print Properties to the proper settings, then attempt to print. Sometime during the loading to the printer the settings are changed from 'sheet' to 'CD/DVD' in the Source on the Page setup or the paper is changed to 8 1/2 x 11. Have checked with Epson and they have clarified that it's not a printer problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Open the printer folder in the control panel, right-click your printer, click printing preferences, be cert...

Form Page Setup
I'm trying to configure my for to print on 1 standar 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper, but it keeps printing the borders on several other sheets of paper. I've tried going to page setup as well to make it print on one sheet with no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated. Your best bet is to create a report based off your form. You can then create a command button on the form that prompts you to run the report. You can get your report to prompt you for a parameter like recordID and allow you to print the records as you chose. "BBAL20" wrote: > I'm trying to configure ...

Why is the Print Titles option in Page Setup:Sheet greyed out?
I am trying to print the column labels on each of a 10 page list. When I go to Page Setup, then the Sheet tab, the items under Print Titles are greyed out. i.e. I can't enter a row for the "Rows to Repeat at Top" option. Anyone know why? Can't find anything in the help file. Thanks, Tim timz Wrote: > I am trying to print the column labels on each of a 10 page list. When > go > to Page Setup, then the Sheet tab, the items under Print Titles ar > greyed > out. i.e. I can't enter a row for the "Rows to Repeat at Top" option. > > Anyone...

paper size not listed in page setup
Hi, I'm using office 2003. When I go to page setup - Paper tab - In the paper size box I cannot find the 11x17 option. I looked on other machines and it is listed in theirs. Do I have to add it somehow? Thanks Word displays only the page sizes that are defined by the currently selected printer driver. If you happen to be pointing to a printer that can't handle anything larger than Letter size, then you won't see 11x17" in the list. Make sure you've selected the same printer as the other computers have. -- Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: ht...

Different Page Setups in the Same Document
I would like to make the mail merge side of my document be landscape but the postcard (1x4) side to be portrait. I want both pages in the same document so that I can duplex to my copier. Is this possible? SSP wrote: > I would like to make the mail merge side of my document be landscape but the > postcard (1x4) side to be portrait. I want both pages in the same document > so that I can duplex to my copier. Is this possible? No, but you can group objects and rotate them in order to achieve the same end result. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Excel XP: Page Setup Issue
How can I create different page setup options for each worksheet in a workbook? As I change the page setup within one worksheet it changes all of them. Is there a way to do this? Am I missing something obvious Thanks in advance Joe Mathis "Joe Mathis" <jmathis@designworkshop.com> wrote in message news:845FBE98-1D78-49BD-865A-6B3A397A41B9@microsoft.com... > How can I create different page setup options for each worksheet in a workbook? As I change the page setup within one worksheet it changes all of them. Is there a way to do this? Am I missing something obvious? > >...

excel page setup
Hello, I have a spreadsheet and I am using cells a:k50, but when I go to see the end of my spreadsheet it tells me I have used cells a:ak 295. I have 35 sheets like this and is is making the file bigger than it has to be. I have tried deleting, clear, page preview setup but nothing seems to clear and make my page a1: k53. Any suggestions. Thank You Select the row following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow to select all rows beyond your data and Edit>Delete. Select the column following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Right Arrow (US) to select all columns beyond your data...

Publisher Should Allow Multiple Page Setups
I do an eight page newsletter in Publisher every month. One page always contains a monthly calendar. In order to fir everything we need on the calendar, it needs to be printed in landscape mode, but the other seven pages are all in portrait mode. It would be nice if Publisher would recognise that some pages could be in a different format than others. Why don't you create that page separately, rotate it and then paste it into your newsletter? No, it's not a one-step deal but it works. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Westley Annis [470624]" <Westley A...

Inches not an option in page setup
I want to use inches not points to set margins, but that option is no longer available. Don't know when or how it changed. But I'd like get back that option. Can anyone help me change the page setup default to go back to inches? Thanks In all versions there is an Options setting to select units of measurements, but the location depends on version. It's on the General tab of Tools | Options in Word 2003 and earlier; in Word 2007 I think it's buried somewhere in Office Button | Word Options | Advanced. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Ty...

page setup landscape, but print footer in portrait mode
I have several pages that are being compiled. Most of them are printed in a portrait mode, but several are in landscape. I would like to print page numbers on all of them in the lower right hand corner. The landscaped pages will be turned facing the right of course, so the page number needs to print in the left hand margin turned 90 degrees. Hi not possible without VBA. You may record a macro while - set the page layout for the first pages - print these pages - change the page layout (landscape) - print these pages -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany msvflyhigh wrote: > I...

Page Setup is Slow
Hi All, Can't honestly say whether this has always been the case or its just started to happen, but configuring anything in the 'Page Setup' dialogue box is incredibly slow at the moment. This is on a corporate network, from a networked laptop to a networked printer. Printing is via IP, I am told, and is working fine. Anyone got any ideas please. Regards. Bill. ...

Sort & Page Setup Question
Hopefully this is the correct forum for my question/problem. I am trying to create a songbook that includes both an Artist Name (Column A) and Song Title (Column B). What I would like to do is have the artist name column continue on the same page in a third column (Column C) and the song title column continue in a fourth column (Column D). So, as an example, Artist Names beginning with "A" run down the first colum and continue alphabetically in the third column and then start on the second page in the first column and so on. The best way I can describe the format I want is...

Page setup / page / size??????
Hi, When you are in design view and you click on 'Page setup / page / size' are the options listed based on the printer you have installed or are they options that Access knows? If I select any of the options listed will they work on any printer? Thanks, Phil They are printer-specific. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Phillip" <Phillip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92C07A38-11FE-4620-97C...

Page Setup #3
After selecting Landscape orientation in Page Setup, print preview continues to display the document in Portrait orientation. Never had this happen before. Any input on why this is happening? ...

Page Setup Dialogue Response Very Slow
Hi All, Tried this a while ago but did not get a response. the page setup dialogue box in MS Access is very slow to appear and respond. Doesn't matter whether this is to the network printer or to the local 'Microsoft Office Document' printer. It hasn't always been like this but don't what has caused the change. Anyone got any suggestions please? Cheers. Bill. That's probably a Windows problem, but may very easily be caused by an Anti-virus program, or by permissions. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.acce...

page setup feature is not working
We have a user at our firm that has Excel 2002. When he goes into page setup and changes the view to landscape, nothing within the document actually changes. When you go to print preview, the document is still in portrait. we have tried repairing the installation of office and that didn't seem to work. We will try to remove it and then install it again. I wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before. Thank you! I often find that these types of issues are directly related to th attached printer. Before uninstalling, try selecting a differen printer (if possible) or verify t...

Keep report page setup when converted to PDF
I'm using ReportToPDF to convert my reports to PDF files for emailing and I was wondering if there's a way to preserve the local report page settings when it's converted to a PDF. For example, most of my reports are formatted for Legal paper with Landscape orientation. When I convert them to PDF, the PDF file page setup is Letter/Portrait and so in order to fit all contents on one page when printing, I have to manually set the page to Legal/Landscape. Is there some way to preserve the Access report settings in the converted PDF or am I S.O.L.? I'd appreciate any help...