No leading for list inside table (Word 2007)

I have a simple 2-column table containing agenda items for a meeting.

The left column contains the topics. They are formatted as a numbered
list. The right column contains the subtopics. They are formatted as a
bulleted list. It looks like this:

  1. Topic 1    * Subtopic
                * Subtopic

  2. Topic 2    * Subtopic

  3. Topic 3    * Subtopic
                * Subtopic
                * Subtopic
                * Subtopic

The paragraph settings for both columns are the same:

  6 pts    Spacing before
  0 pts    Spacing after
  Checked  Don't add space between paragraphs of same style

The ordered list in the left column behaves as I expect. The first
list item in each row has 6 pt leading. Subsequent items in the same
row have 0 leading.

The unordered list in the right column behaves differently. With the
"Don't add space..." option checked, none on the items have any
leading (all 0 leading). With that option unchecked, all items have 6
pt leading. I cannot figure out how to get leading for the first item
in each row and 0 leading for the rest.

Help!
0
Sesquipedalian

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 07:43:20 -0800, Sesquipedalian Sam
<sesquipod@nowhere.noway> wrote:

>I have a simple 2-column table containing agenda items for a meeting.
>
>The left column contains the topics. They are formatted as a numbered
>list. The right column contains the subtopics. They are formatted as a
>bulleted list. It looks like this:
>
>  1. Topic 1    * Subtopic
>                * Subtopic
>
>  2. Topic 2    * Subtopic
>
>  3. Topic 3    * Subtopic
>                * Subtopic
>                * Subtopic
>                * Subtopic
>
>The paragraph settings for both columns are the same:
>
>  6 pts    Spacing before
>  0 pts    Spacing after
>  Checked  Don't add space between paragraphs of same style
>
>The ordered list in the left column behaves as I expect. The first
>list item in each row has 6 pt leading. Subsequent items in the same
>row have 0 leading.
>
>The unordered list in the right column behaves differently. With the
>"Don't add space..." option checked, none on the items have any
>leading (all 0 leading). With that option unchecked, all items have 6
>pt leading. I cannot figure out how to get leading for the first item
>in each row and 0 leading for the rest.
>
>Help!

PS: If I copy the list items from the right column to an area outside
a table, the list items behave properly (leading for first item, no
leading for subsequent items).
0
Sesquipedalian
2/26/2010 3:46:47 PM
Any chance you could make a sample table available - either email as
attachment or somewhere we can download from the web?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Sesquipedalian Sam" <sesquipod@nowhere.noway> wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 07:43:20 -0800, Sesquipedalian Sam
> <sesquipod@nowhere.noway> wrote:
>
>>I have a simple 2-column table containing agenda items for a meeting.
>>
>>The left column contains the topics. They are formatted as a numbered
>>list. The right column contains the subtopics. They are formatted as a
>>bulleted list. It looks like this:
>>
>>  1. Topic 1    * Subtopic
>>                * Subtopic
>>
>>  2. Topic 2    * Subtopic
>>
>>  3. Topic 3    * Subtopic
>>                * Subtopic
>>                * Subtopic
>>                * Subtopic
>>
>>The paragraph settings for both columns are the same:
>>
>>  6 pts    Spacing before
>>  0 pts    Spacing after
>>  Checked  Don't add space between paragraphs of same style
>>
>>The ordered list in the left column behaves as I expect. The first
>>list item in each row has 6 pt leading. Subsequent items in the same
>>row have 0 leading.
>>
>>The unordered list in the right column behaves differently. With the
>>"Don't add space..." option checked, none on the items have any
>>leading (all 0 leading). With that option unchecked, all items have 6
>>pt leading. I cannot figure out how to get leading for the first item
>>in each row and 0 leading for the rest.
>>
>>Help!
>
> PS: If I copy the list items from the right column to an area outside
> a table, the list items behave properly (leading for first item, no
> leading for subsequent items).

0
Terry
2/26/2010 4:34:32 PM
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:34:32 -0000, "Terry Farrell"
<terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote:

>Any chance you could make a sample table available - either email as
>attachment or somewhere we can download from the web?

Try this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1fv4ur
0
Sesquipedalian
2/27/2010 6:20:07 AM
You need to use a different list style for the second column because Word
sees the list in the second column as a continuation of the List started in
the first column. Intuitively, it suppresses the Space Before because 'Don't
add space between paragraphs of the same style' is checked. So you need to
create a different List Style for Column 2, even though it will use
identical formatting.

That's the way lists work.

Terry

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:34:32 -0000, "Terry Farrell"
> <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>Any chance you could make a sample table available - either email as
>>attachment or somewhere we can download from the web?
>
> Try this:
>
> http://www.sendspace.com/file/1fv4ur

0
Terry
2/27/2010 9:36:05 AM
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:36:05 -0000, "Terry Farrell"
<terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote:

>You need to use a different list style for the second column because Word
>sees the list in the second column as a continuation of the List started in
>the first column. Intuitively, it suppresses the Space Before because 'Don't
>add space between paragraphs of the same style' is checked. So you need to
>create a different List Style for Column 2, even though it will use
>identical formatting.
>
>That's the way lists work.

OK, thanks.

It's too bad the Word developers chose such an insipid, pedestrian,
thoughtless implementation. I would be surprised if one user in a
thousand would want lists to "continue" across the rows in a table.
(sigh)
0
Sesquipedalian
2/27/2010 2:25:23 PM
Well they regularly do use the same list non-contiguously throughout a
document. It isn't so much that this is happening across columns in a table,
it happens throughout a document unless you change lists. A simple way to
look at this is if you are using a SEQ field to number through a document:
if you don't change the SEQname, then the number continues from where it
left off. Lists work in a similar way, which once you know is quite obvious.
Shauna Kelly has some great information on numbering and bullets at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/

Terry

> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:36:05 -0000, "Terry Farrell"
> <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>You need to use a different list style for the second column because Word
>>sees the list in the second column as a continuation of the List started
>>in
>>the first column. Intuitively, it suppresses the Space Before because
>>'Don't
>>add space between paragraphs of the same style' is checked. So you need to
>>create a different List Style for Column 2, even though it will use
>>identical formatting.
>>
>>That's the way lists work.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> It's too bad the Word developers chose such an insipid, pedestrian,
> thoughtless implementation. I would be surprised if one user in a
> thousand would want lists to "continue" across the rows in a table.
> (sigh)

0
Terry
2/27/2010 3:48:53 PM
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:48:53 -0000, "Terry Farrell"
<terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote:

>Well they regularly do use the same list non-contiguously throughout a
>document. It isn't so much that this is happening across columns in a table,
>it happens throughout a document unless you change lists. A simple way to
>look at this is if you are using a SEQ field to number through a document:
>if you don't change the SEQname, then the number continues from where it
>left off. Lists work in a similar way, which once you know is quite obvious.
>Shauna Kelly has some great information on numbering and bullets at
>http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/

Now I have to disagree. I misunderstood you before. The column 2 list
is clearly NOT a continuation of the column 1 list. For one thing,
they are completely different types of lists. The unordered list
doesn't need a SEQ field at all.

Try this: Put your cursor just before the first character of the any
list item in column 1, then press the left arrow key once. The number
field for that item and all items of that list will be highlighted.
Notice that none of the items in column 2 are highlighted. They are
separate lists.

Now repeat this in column 2. Highlighting any item field will
highlight them all in that coluimn, but none in column 1.
0
Sesquipedalian

Money 2007 E-Pay
Noticed this morning when I was paying my bills this anomaly. Perhaps I am missing something. Scenario: Paying a credit card bill. In Money 2004 (my previous version of Money) I would use Credit Card as the category and in the subcategory use the particular credit card account I was paying. Worked great. Money 2007, there is a new category named Credit Cards/Transfer. When selecting this there are no payee categories listed. However further down the list is another category named Credit Card. Using Credit Card shows the various payees. Not sure what the difference is between Credit C...

Excel template that lists each month's meetings w/ some detail
I'm looking for an Excel template that lists every month of the year with room to list weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings, including some detail for each meeting. Probably would need to be landscape oriented. The main intent is to give the person using it an idea of upcoming meetings, the intent of each and what prep is required. ...

how do you place a spreadsheet(s) inside another spreadsheet
I am trying to setup a workbook with spreadsheets that contain other spreadsheets. Does excel allow this? if yes, how can I do it. Hi not 100% sure what you're after here ... a workbook can contain multiple worksheets. Each worksheet contains a grid of cells 256 columns wide & 65536 rows deep. This basic structure of excel can not be altered. Please post back with additional details on what you're trying to achieve and we might be able to suggest a solution. Cheers JulieD "ucastores" <ucastores@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DDE44C32-...

Pivot Table Question #15
Hey all, Love pivot tables but i have a question, the table is set up as so Month Pallet# BoxesPur BoxesSold Price Frt Gross Net Jan 1 5 1.0 ..3 Formula Formula 2 5 2.0 .5 3 10 3 .15 Jan Total 10 10 6.0 ..95 So, the problem is in the Jan Total row, is there a way...

2007 calendar
How can I create a 1 page 2007 calendar in publisher? File, new, publications for print, calendars, select one, select yearly... click Change date range. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Angel" <Angel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7253E645-B0BA-4B90-BF7E-7083802EA379@microsoft.com... > How can I create a 1 page 2007 calendar in publisher? ...

Conditional Formatting w/ a List/Icons
I am trying to allow someone to select "Green", "Yellow" or "Red" from a list and the cell to display a green/yellow/red icon appropriately. Or, if possible, the user could just select the icon (instead of selecting text). Is this possible? Use Data Validation for the list. Type in Red, Yellow, Green as the list. This give the user the list to select from. Use Conditional Formatting for the fill part. Set three conditions, If Cell Value-"Green" (select a green fill), etc.. -- If this helps, please remember to click yes. "...

VISIO 2007 -Text direction
can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change text direction command does not work. "kgbrat" <kgbrat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DBF18B5-E1C8-4493-8BEF-F7D4C1538781@microsoft.com... > can some one tell me how to change text to be type in vertically. Under > tools, options there is no regional tab or under format text the change > text > direction command does not work. You can use the Text Tool (The A with an circular arrow around it) and gr...

2007 License
I received a free Office SBA 2007 via an MS Partner Program as a download together with key There is no FPP, OEM or MLK designation. (The EULA in Word being dependant on the above) How can I determine if this is licensed to install on a second device, other than trying? - The PID? Contact the MS Partner Program? "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message news:uVA$w8lpKHA.4648@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... :I received a free Office SBA 2007 via an MS Partner Program as a download : together with key : There is no FPP, OEM or MLK designation. : (The EULA...

Batch converting leads to accounts
Is there a way to convert leads to accounts in batches? I need to convert up to 500 each day and don't have the time to go through them one at a time. Dave Lagergren On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 01:28:44 GMT, "Who Cares!" <whocares@freetidet.org> wrote: >Is there a way to convert leads to accounts in batches? I need to >convert up to 500 each day and don't have the time to go through them >one at a time. Only way is through the SDK. Write some code that loops through your leads and creates accounts, contacts and opportunities as needed and marks the lead as qu...

Office 2007 11-23-09
Of all the choices out there (community discussion, dashboard, live, etc.) how can I contact someone with input on Microsoft's software. For example, I want to know why any one would not display the most common commands on the HOME tab in Office 2007. Print, Save, Open, Close, Spell Check, Undo, etc. etc. etc. Yes, I know you can customize your own Toolbar, but not a beginner. How can I emphasize how important this is, I don't suppose you can customize the Tabs. I would like to ask someone why they can't get input from those of us who teach their products. ...

lead import seams to be boring
Hi. Everytime I import leads from Excel I must manually map every column to the proper CRM fileds. Is there a way to do it once ? In the first row of excel file I wrote the name of the labels of the fields but it doesn't work. Any idea ? Sebastiano To automate it, you could use the Data Migration Framework, set up a recurring DTS task to move the leads from Excel to the CDF tables, and then a batch job to run the Migration tool at night (or whenever nobody is in the system). Harder to set up, but easier to maintain, until the spreadsheet changes. :-) -- Kevin Hill 3NF Consulting w...

Using Risk+ with MSP 2007
We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool. We have discovered that it works approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003. Has anyone else run into this problem. If so, is there a remedy? My hunch this not a generic issue, but surely best that you consult with the Risk+ people on this. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 02/03/10 18:08, Tom Mc wrote: > We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool. We have discovered that it works > approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003. Has anyone else run > into this problem. If so, is there a remedy? W...

OL2003 Master Category List
Anyone know where the master category list is hiding these days. In 2002 it was hkcu\software\microsoft\office\10 \outlook\categories Any help would be appreciated. change 10 to 11. It won't exist unless the user has added something to it and like Outlook 2002 it's a Unicode list so the value is a binary and not a string. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginners Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.m...

Smart List
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C4A796.1EC1D910 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_002D_01C4A796.1EC1D910" ------=_NextPart_001_002D_01C4A796.1EC1D910 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable BlankIs there any way to get a report in smart list that includes the = serial numbers using inventory transactions or sales transcations? I = have version 7.0 Lisa ------=_NextPart_001_002D_01C4A796.1EC1D910 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Wind...

Bizarre background window behavior in Word
I am running MS Office for Mac 2008 (12.2.4) on a 2008 Intel iMac with the most recent version of Leopard OS. Since installing a recent upgrade to Mac Office 2008, I have been having a frustrating problem when I keep multiple documents open in Word. The active document will randomly be moved to the background, while one of the inactive open documents will randomly move to the foreground. Curiously, the inactive window now in the foreground actually remains inactive, and if I continue typing, the text is placed in the active window that is now hidden in the background. The only way to b...

Personal.xls not hidden in Excel 2007?
Hi, When I open a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 my Personal.xls file opens too, in a separate window. (I get a separate "tab" in my task bar.) If I remember correctly from Excel 2003 the Personal.xls was actually hidden and didn't open, but the macros in it were made available to open worksheets. In any case, that is the behavior I would like. Is there a setting somewhere that makes the Personal.xls stay hidden? I've tried putting it in program files/.../xlstart and in application data/.../xlstart. I've also tried making it a .xlsb file. Thanks, Sam I haven't tried...

Access To Word Mailmerge
I have setup a Mailmerge that is run from Access. The process works like this: 1) The proper record is selected in an Access form which automatically starts the process. 2) Word is called up automatically, it shows both the template and the doument with the proper data in it. 3) Access is closed automatically. 4) The user then needs to close the mailmerge template. 5) The document with the proper mailmerge information inserted from Access is up on the screen. At this point a shortcut is triggered by the user that adds a document of the users choice to the end of the curre...

Retrieving sorted data from same table.
Hi All, I am working on a table (mentioned below) I am looking for a query which can get me the data according to the =93id=94 column with respect to speed. The condition is that I have to get three consecutive entries which have speed > 60 Below is the sample table with data on which I have to retrieve the data on above condition. The output i need can be as given below DVXC002 12/10/09 0:12 96 DVXC002 12/10/09 18:40 89 DVXC002 12/10/09 19:43 65 DVXC005 12/10/09 11:56 69 DVXC005 12/10/09 15:26 62 DVXC005 12/10/09 17:35 85 Need your help urgently....Thanks in advan...

Project server 2007 Timesheet creation
Hi, We are using project server 2007. When create a new timehseet, we are facing the following issues. 1. Sometimes the timesheet will be created with all the data filled with the planned hours against the standard row. 1. If we try to add the a new line to the timesheet using Add Lines, it will be added without project name and tasks. Please help me to resolve the issues. Thanks, arun Are you getting add-lines dialog box when you try to add...if your able to see then you shoud select the project task and say ok.hope this helps "Arun" wrote: > Hi, ...

Rounded Corners in Excel 2007 Not Working?!?!
Hi, I can't get rounded corners to work in Excel 2007: I make a chart I right click on Char Area I Select Format Chart Area A Dialogue Box Pops Up with the following Selections: - Fill - Border Color - Border Styles - Shadow - 3-D Format I select fill and fill the chart area with a color .. say blue I right click on chart area again and this time select Border Styles and the following options are available: - Width - Compound Type - Cap Type (drop down menu) - Join Type (drop down menu) - Arrow Settings I click Cap Type and a drop down menu appears with the following options: - Squa...