Making a template that puts the current date in the document so that does NOT change

I'd like to make a template that sets up some standard headers and
formatting for new Word documents for a night school course I'm
enrolled in. Among other requirements for all papers is to put the
date the paper was created at the top.

I'd furthermore like it so that if I need to reopen the document after
creating it to say print another copy, the date written at the top
will not change. In other words, when I create a new document using
the template the current date is put near the top, but when I
subsequently open the file for editing or reprinting it does NOT
automatically update the date to the current one, but remains at the
creation date for the file, not the template the file was made from.

Is this possible? I'm primarily using Word 2003 although I'm probably
also going to be starting several documents with Word 2007 by loading
the template from a thumb drive, then trying to finish them a few days
later in Word 2003, and I intend to create the template in Word 2003.

I know how to get the template to create documents that automatically
update the date every time I open the file, how do I get it to do it
only once, when opening the .DOT template so that it does NOT update
when I open the subsequent .DOC file?
0
SlickRCBD

The CreateData field should suit your purpose.

Pam

SlickRCBD wrote:
>I'd like to make a template that sets up some standard headers and
>formatting for new Word documents for a night school course I'm
>enrolled in. Among other requirements for all papers is to put the
>date the paper was created at the top.
>
>I'd furthermore like it so that if I need to reopen the document after
>creating it to say print another copy, the date written at the top
>will not change. In other words, when I create a new document using
>the template the current date is put near the top, but when I
>subsequently open the file for editing or reprinting it does NOT
>automatically update the date to the current one, but remains at the
>creation date for the file, not the template the file was made from.
>
>Is this possible? I'm primarily using Word 2003 although I'm probably
>also going to be starting several documents with Word 2007 by loading
>the template from a thumb drive, then trying to finish them a few days
>later in Word 2003, and I intend to create the template in Word 2003.
>
>I know how to get the template to create documents that automatically
>update the date every time I open the file, how do I get it to do it
>only once, when opening the .DOT template so that it does NOT update
>when I open the subsequent .DOC file?

Pamelia
1/10/2010 2:22:02 AM
Correcting a typo -- it should be a  CreateDate  field.

An additional bit of reassurance: it works identically in Word 2003
and Word 2007.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 02:22:02 GMT, "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com"
<u43222@uwe> wrote:

>The CreateData field should suit your purpose.
>
>Pam
>
>SlickRCBD wrote:
>>I'd like to make a template that sets up some standard headers and
>>formatting for new Word documents for a night school course I'm
>>enrolled in. Among other requirements for all papers is to put the
>>date the paper was created at the top.
>>
>>I'd furthermore like it so that if I need to reopen the document after
>>creating it to say print another copy, the date written at the top
>>will not change. In other words, when I create a new document using
>>the template the current date is put near the top, but when I
>>subsequently open the file for editing or reprinting it does NOT
>>automatically update the date to the current one, but remains at the
>>creation date for the file, not the template the file was made from.
>>
>>Is this possible? I'm primarily using Word 2003 although I'm probably
>>also going to be starting several documents with Word 2007 by loading
>>the template from a thumb drive, then trying to finish them a few days
>>later in Word 2003, and I intend to create the template in Word 2003.
>>
>>I know how to get the template to create documents that automatically
>>update the date every time I open the file, how do I get it to do it
>>only once, when opening the .DOT template so that it does NOT update
>>when I open the subsequent .DOC file?
0
Jay
1/10/2010 2:45:39 AM
On Jan 9, 8:22 pm, "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" <u43222@uwe>
wrote:
> The CreateData field should suit your purpose.
>
> Pam

I'm unfamiliar with the tool in question. Could you please elaborate
how to accomplish my goal? The first few Google search results were
rather unhelpful.
0
SlickRCBD
1/12/2010 7:04:52 PM
Insert, Field and select CreateDate. CreateDate will show the date the
template has been created, but when you open a new document from the
template, it shows the date the document was created.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jan 9, 8:22 pm, "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" <u43222@uwe>
> wrote:
>> The CreateData field should suit your purpose.
>>
>> Pam
>>
> I'm unfamiliar with the tool in question. Could you please elaborate
> how to accomplish my goal? The first few Google search results were
> rather unhelpful.

0
Terry

Can you make excel auto save your workbook?
I need Excel to automaticly save my work every 2 or 3 minutes if that is possible. Can it do that? Hi what Excel version are you using? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Rhiannon" <Rhiannon@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:FE6930C8-D9D4-46D0-825E-0C25A02C1B71@microsoft.com... > I need Excel to automaticly save my work every 2 or 3 minutes if that is > possible. Can it do that? Excel 2003 "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > what Excel version are you using? > > -- > Regards > Frank Kabel > Frankfurt, Germany &g...

Auto-Transfer of sales documents with eConnect
Great Plains eConnect should be enhanced with an object that will allow for the transferring of sales documents from one type to another (i.e. Order to Invoice). This feature would greatly improve efficiency for clients doing high volumes of transactions using the Great Plains distribution modules. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microso...

Change the working directory for a MFC application
I am trying to change the working directory of a MFC application after the application execution begins. Chdir or setcurrentdirectory doesnot work for a MFC application. Can anyone suggest how i can do this? Thanks, - Akila. Akila wrote: > I am trying to change the working directory of a MFC application after > the application execution begins. > > Chdir or setcurrentdirectory doesnot work for a MFC application. > > Can anyone suggest how i can do this? > > Thanks, > - Akila. > SetCurrentDirectory does work for a MFC application. If it doesn't seem ...

Tabbed Document Style ?
Hello NG First of all I want to thank, all the nice people that reply to questions and try to help others. I want to create an MDI program with a “Tabbed Document” style like the default style of Visual Studio itself. I could not find any VC programming information on tabbed documents, maybe my keywords were not good enough. I thought about using CProperty Page and CTabCtrl class and capturing events, but I’m not sure that it is a good idea. I really appreciate your help and tips Regards, Ebrahi Hello, I think this will help to you, http://www.codeproject.com/docview/tabbedmdi.asp http...

Standard Cost Changes Screen
I'm trying to enter a proposed standard cost on a finished good item but the Proposed Standard Cost Field is greyed out. Cards >> Manufacturing >> Inventory >> Standard Cost Changes. Any ideas as to why it's Greyed Out, and how can I fix this? regards, davidv Is the Bill of Materil a "Phantom" item? "tintin91" wrote: > I'm trying to enter a proposed standard cost on a finished good item but the > Proposed Standard Cost Field is greyed out. > > Cards >> Manufacturing >> Inventory >> Standard Cost Changes. &...

MS Excel file extension changed through e-mail
MS Excel .xlsx files sent as attachments are received without the x, as a .xls instead. The same is true for MS Word .docx changed to .doc Answered in the Word group. Please don't post the same question in multiple groups. It not only causes responders to waste their time replying to questions that have already been answered but it also makes it more difficult for you to follow up on the replies. If it truly is an issue that involves more than one app either post to the Office group rather than the individual groups or use a newsreader rather than the web interface & learn to ...

My mail merged document won't save the mailing info.
I have created a postcard in publisher 2002 and performed a mail merge. After Step 3 of 4 in the mail merge wizard, my addresses appear in the publisher file. Step 4 of 4 asks me to print. I want to save the file to upload to OfficeMax's website. So, I have tried both saving the file and also Pack and go..., however both options, when I save then reopen the file, my merged addresses do not appear. All I have is the templated post card or a blank file with the letters MSCF at the top. Help! Erin This can only be done with Publisher 2003 unless you choose to print your mailm...

Cannot change account type.
I have an HSA with a credit union that is updated online, I want to have it listed under the Investment Accounts instead of Bank Accounts. The option to change the account type is greyed out with the message "...online-enable account cannot be changed" Was there a question here? I think the message you got tells you about three fourths of the problem. The final fourth that the first three fourths prevents you from getting to is that an Investment Account and a Bank Account are fundamentally different types--one holds Investments, the other holds cash--so a change from one ...

multiple Fillin in template
Hello, I am trying to make a template document. This document already has fillin fields. I would like to use the answers of this fillin fields on multiple places within the same document. I tried some advices on this websites, but I get the same question two times, but not only the answer. I hope somebody can explain it to me in the simplest form :) I am not a die hard word user :) And sorry for my bad English, it is not my first language. There are several ways to do this. The simplest is to select each Fillin field in Turn and press CTRL+F9 This will add a second set of b...

Add Word and change format
1) Let say colomn A is a product codes, such as "PK0021", "UQ05P8", etc...Now I want add a "Z" in front the codes. To be "ZPK0021, ZUQ05P8". What's the faster way in case I got thousand of codes? 2) In my colomn B is such code as "18-521-65, 18-81-84, 18-1112-65" and etc. Now I would like to make it to be standard to 4 digit for the middle number to be "18-0521-65, 18-0081-84, 18-1112-65" ... As the same senario as above, I got more than thousand of such codes... What's the faster way? Kelvin The first could be done wi...

How to join date/time field when "days" are same but "time" differ
Good evening everyone, I have one TRANSACTION table that contains: 1."date/time" field (YYMMDD hh:mm:ss) 2."quantity field" And another PRICE table that contans: 1."date/time" field (YYMMDD hh:mm:ss) 2."price field" Now, I want to join the "date/time" fields so I can perform a simple "quantity * price" calculation on each transaction-row. But the time differes (hh:mm:ss) and I just can't find a way to make Access accept a relation between the days (it outputs nothing). How can I make it ignore difference in the "ti...

Text to dates
I have a column of dates F6:F148, the dates have been entered in the following formats all entered as text "21.01.2009","21.1.2009","21 Jan 09" & "21 Jan 2009". I'd like to be able to change them all into a common date format 21 Jan 09 (I'll also change the sheet so that data is validated to this date format) Does anyone know a way I can do this? Thanks You can use the 'Convert Text to Columns Wizard to convert the dates --Select the range of dates which needs to be corrected. --From menu Data>'Text to Col...

Serious performance issues when changing roles
Just a heads-up: don't change roles during times of heavy user activity or you may have severe performance issues. When you change a role, the MSCRMSEcurityService evidently kicks off a massive job that updates the securitydescriptor field in every record of every major object. Last time I did this, it attempted to obtain a table lock, and as a result, brought my system to its knees. The process was trying to update 46000+ rows from the annotationbase table (you can see this by looking at the last SQL command for the process that is blocking other processes). Evidently bec...

Change Withdrawal/Deposit to Transfer
Hi folks. How do you change a transaction that's already been recorded from a Withdrawal or Deposit to a Transfer? Thanks. Dave I'm assuming you are using Transaction Forms. Most people who have used Money for a long time would advise just turning them off. You can also change the category to Transfer: or one of the Expense categories. There is also For a WD -> Transfer switch the Transfer seems Options|Change Transaction To. <bvdesk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1175621813.359866.84060@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Hi folks. How do you change a transaction...

VBA to call file based on date
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me with a VBA routine to check for the presence of a specific file. The file is saved on a dialy basis in the format "userfile_run_YYYYMMDD.xls" i am seeking help with a vb code that will check if today or any specified days report is generated. i guess excel can use the date format to read the specified location for the file. Thank you in advance for your help. .....Coming from Where I'm from. Dim sFile As String sFile = Dir("C:myPath\userfile_run_" & Format(Date,"yyyymmdd") & ".xls") If s...

How do I change the text size in a drop down box
I am using excel 2003. It seems to default to 10pts. Changing the size in the source list or the default in the general tab did not change the size. ...

How do I put Excel data into a US map format?
I want to feed Excel data about population and trends into a map format instead of a bar graph or pie chart. Is there a plug-in or some such thing that I can use that works with Excel? Ultimately, I want to have each state depicted by a color code for a range of population or an amount of certain data. I am using Excel 2002 in a Windows XP environment. ...

Date last edited
I would like to enter a field into the footer of an Excel document that automatically displays the date and time the document was last edited. This is possible in Word and Visio, but I can't find a way to do it in Excel. Is it possible? Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cacel As Boolean) With ActiveWorkbook .ActiveSheet.PageSetup.LeftHFooter = "Last saved on: " & _ Format(.BuiltinDocumentPropert�ies("Last Save Time"), _ "dd mmm yyyy") End With End Sub goes in the ThisWorkbook code module. -- HTH Bob P...

How can I access my documents on OW free trial ?
When i receive a doc. I cannot alter it because it tells me the doc. is locked. How can I get roung this? If it's locked, you either haven't activated your copy of Office, or your trial period ended in which case you will have to pay for it. Yves "Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F75A123-D010-4B85-AA39-838E567413E6@microsoft.com... > When i receive a doc. I cannot alter it because it tells me the doc. is > locked. How can I get roung this? ...

How can you show the new items in a refreshed document?
When refreshing a spreadsheet that is pulling information from a different database, is there a way to highlight the new lines? ...

How? Default is current date, but user can edit if needed?
I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the user to change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with a mask __/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to eliminate keystrokes for the user. Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect yesterday's date. How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start Date field if the field defaults to current date? When a field has a default value, it can be changed as you want. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele...

go to cell with date equaling TODAY()
Hello! I have a spreadsheet with January 01, 2006 thru December 31, 2006 in ascending order in column A, each date in a different cell (A1, A2, A3, etc.). I don't enter data into this sheet everyday..in fact, months could go by before having to enter an occurance for say, March 31. Is there a way to have excel, upon opening the spreadsheet, advance the cursor to the cell with that day's date in it? -- Thank you all for your help! Using function Date rather than Today() Works for me. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim r As Long Dim T As Long T = Date r = Application.Matc...

Data Validation date field
I don't understand why this isn't working. I just want to make sure that they don't put a future date in the polydate field. Is me.polydate > now() an invalid expression? code: _________________________________________________________ Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer) If Me.PolyDate > Now() Then Cancel = True Me.PolyDate.SetFocus MsgBox "Please enter a date that falls prior to today's date" Exit Sub End If End Sub It does not appear to be invalid. It is always helpful to post the error you are getting and if it is a runti...

Date formatting problem #5
Hi there, I've tried everything I can think of with this one - help!! I'm reading dates from 2 cells, storing them in variables, comparing them and then storing the resulting date in a different cell. Code currently is: If stStoredDate<> stDate then stStoredDate=stDate Activecell.Offset(0,1).Value = stStoredDate End If My problem is stStoredDate = 04/09/05 (4 Sep 05 as I'm in the UK), stDate is the same, but the value in the cell is 09/04/05 (9 Apr 05). Both cells have identical formatting. If I change the formatting to 'general', stStoredDate= 38599, but t...

Optimizer choice doesn't make sense, goes from index seek to table scan when adding a SARG
Running on SQL Server 2008 SP1. The following select (correctly) uses a non-clustered index on ACCT_TYP_CD returning just over 15000 rows in 41ms. It does a single scan and needs 37 logical reads to complete the query. select acct_cd from CS_FUND where ACCT_TYP_CD = 'G'; Change the query to be this: select acct_cd from CS_FUND where ACCT_TYP_CD = 'G' and GRP_TYPE_CD = 'BKR_RULES'; and the optimizer now chooses to do a clustered index scan, taking significantly longer, 971 ms, 8 scans and over 59,000 logical reads. It returns no rows. T...