Making a template that puts the current date in the document so that does NOT change

I'd like to make a template that sets up some standard headers and
formatting for new Word documents for a night school course I'm
enrolled in. Among other requirements for all papers is to put the
date the paper was created at the top.

I'd furthermore like it so that if I need to reopen the document after
creating it to say print another copy, the date written at the top
will not change. In other words, when I create a new document using
the template the current date is put near the top, but when I
subsequently open the file for editing or reprinting it does NOT
automatically update the date to the current one, but remains at the
creation date for the file, not the template the file was made from.

Is this possible? I'm primarily using Word 2003 although I'm probably
also going to be starting several documents with Word 2007 by loading
the template from a thumb drive, then trying to finish them a few days
later in Word 2003, and I intend to create the template in Word 2003.

I know how to get the template to create documents that automatically
update the date every time I open the file, how do I get it to do it
only once, when opening the .DOT template so that it does NOT update
when I open the subsequent .DOC file?
0
SlickRCBD

The CreateData field should suit your purpose.

Pam

SlickRCBD wrote:
>I'd like to make a template that sets up some standard headers and
>formatting for new Word documents for a night school course I'm
>enrolled in. Among other requirements for all papers is to put the
>date the paper was created at the top.
>
>I'd furthermore like it so that if I need to reopen the document after
>creating it to say print another copy, the date written at the top
>will not change. In other words, when I create a new document using
>the template the current date is put near the top, but when I
>subsequently open the file for editing or reprinting it does NOT
>automatically update the date to the current one, but remains at the
>creation date for the file, not the template the file was made from.
>
>Is this possible? I'm primarily using Word 2003 although I'm probably
>also going to be starting several documents with Word 2007 by loading
>the template from a thumb drive, then trying to finish them a few days
>later in Word 2003, and I intend to create the template in Word 2003.
>
>I know how to get the template to create documents that automatically
>update the date every time I open the file, how do I get it to do it
>only once, when opening the .DOT template so that it does NOT update
>when I open the subsequent .DOC file?

Pamelia
1/10/2010 2:22:02 AM
Correcting a typo -- it should be a  CreateDate  field.

An additional bit of reassurance: it works identically in Word 2003
and Word 2007.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 02:22:02 GMT, "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com"
<u43222@uwe> wrote:

>The CreateData field should suit your purpose.
>
>Pam
>
>SlickRCBD wrote:
>>I'd like to make a template that sets up some standard headers and
>>formatting for new Word documents for a night school course I'm
>>enrolled in. Among other requirements for all papers is to put the
>>date the paper was created at the top.
>>
>>I'd furthermore like it so that if I need to reopen the document after
>>creating it to say print another copy, the date written at the top
>>will not change. In other words, when I create a new document using
>>the template the current date is put near the top, but when I
>>subsequently open the file for editing or reprinting it does NOT
>>automatically update the date to the current one, but remains at the
>>creation date for the file, not the template the file was made from.
>>
>>Is this possible? I'm primarily using Word 2003 although I'm probably
>>also going to be starting several documents with Word 2007 by loading
>>the template from a thumb drive, then trying to finish them a few days
>>later in Word 2003, and I intend to create the template in Word 2003.
>>
>>I know how to get the template to create documents that automatically
>>update the date every time I open the file, how do I get it to do it
>>only once, when opening the .DOT template so that it does NOT update
>>when I open the subsequent .DOC file?
0
Jay
1/10/2010 2:45:39 AM
On Jan 9, 8:22 pm, "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" <u43222@uwe>
wrote:
> The CreateData field should suit your purpose.
>
> Pam

I'm unfamiliar with the tool in question. Could you please elaborate
how to accomplish my goal? The first few Google search results were
rather unhelpful.
0
SlickRCBD
1/12/2010 7:04:52 PM
Insert, Field and select CreateDate. CreateDate will show the date the
template has been created, but when you open a new document from the
template, it shows the date the document was created.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jan 9, 8:22 pm, "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" <u43222@uwe>
> wrote:
>> The CreateData field should suit your purpose.
>>
>> Pam
>>
> I'm unfamiliar with the tool in question. Could you please elaborate
> how to accomplish my goal? The first few Google search results were
> rather unhelpful.

0
Terry

How can I change default setting in Office start-up?
I need to change the default setting on my Word, Excel and PPT programs (MS Office 2004) so when they open they aren't at, for example, Word 11.3.0, rather at Word 11.2.3. I mac OSX, a G5. When I do a control click on any of those programs, go to "get info" and then choose the 11.2.3 that I want to open with, it does it no problem. When I click "change all" it doesn't change the default -- the 11.3.0 is always the default despite that I'm trying to change all. How do I fix this? BTW this whole problem started when someone at the genius bar deleted one of the...

Dicount Code in Receipt Template
When I post a discounted transaction, it shows the discount code below item description on receipt. I don't want discount code to be printed on my RMS receipt when a discounted transaction is posted. I have already hooked a COM add-in to curtail Entry.Description besides checking the XML receipt file. but I am still not able to print item description only. Any help please? why no one replies to my question. If there is something wrong with the sense of my question, do let me know atleast. so that I could try to explain it more. "ASAD" wrote: > When I post a discounted...

Prevent change to refs in second worksheet when drag cells in firs
I have a complex calendar in Excel. Each week, admins Ctrl-drag cells among different locations in the primary calendar worksheet. I have a second worksheet that needs to list those cell values in a fixed configuration, e.g. the value in Sheet1!A1 needs to always appear in the cell of Sheet2!G10. Sheet2!G10 contains the formula: “Sheet1!$A$1”. If the user drags Sheet1!A1 to Sheet1!A3, the formula in Sheet2!G10 gets automatically updated to “Sheet1!$A$3”. I have tried all combos of locking and protecting to prevent this updating. Is there a way to do this? Try referencing the other shee...

Search between two dates
Hi everyone I've got information in a SQL Server Database. I'm viewing the data using MS Excel, e.g Data, Get External Data, Create New Query (on the toolbar). Now using the wizard I have got to Microsoft Query. What I want the system to do is..... When I open the spreadsheet a pop up box appears where the user types in the FROM date, then a second pop up box appears where the user types in the TO date. The values that are shown on the spreadsheet are the values between the two dates (including the FROM and TO dates). Is this quite easy? Thanks for any help David -- David4...

How i change headers in different sections Microsoft Publisher 20.
I am trying to make a school newspaper using the Microsoft Publisher 2007. Anad i heed to have different headers in different sections, i cannot do that. The newspaper is going to be about 32 pages. Are you using one of the templates? What template? What happens when you try to change the headers? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Vasso" <Vasso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0F7FA6B-21AB-4C28-A191-2B4742E63FCA@microsoft.com... >I am trying to make a school newspaper using the Mi...

Change 2007 excel Autofilter back to 2003?
Does anyone know if there is a way to change excel's 2007 autofilter functionality back to like excel 2003 autoflilter use to work? I need to quickly bring up like values and compare other columns based upon the filtered values and the extra clicking of the check boxes is driving me nuts! If it helps any (and if you haven't thought about it yet), you can click the "(Select All)" entry twice to remove your current selections. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "jonnybrovo815" <jonnybrovo815@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36837406-1...

Currrent date from server
Access XP. The main date entry in the F/E file contains a date field where the user type today's date. Management wanted the date to show automatically. No problem I used date() and locked the box. The problem is that the user can change the date in his/her computer, therefore the date changes in the records. Since the date in the server cannot be changed by the users, is there a way to pass the server's date to date field? Thanx. Do you have user-level security enabled and access to that table locked tightly down? If not, there's nothing to stop the users from changing th...

compare and merge documents in 2007
How do you compare 2 excel documents with track changes and merge them together after accepting the changes in Excel 2007? ...

How do I make two lines in one cell?
since you cant hit enter to make 2 lines in one cell how do you do it? Press alt + enter together. It's easy when you know how! :-) Alan P. "kpeters" <kpeters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAEFD0EB-26F1-4AAB-9D4F-86DF4E013B9F@microsoft.com... > since you cant hit enter to make 2 lines in one cell how do you do it? if you mean that you want to add more text into the cell, then increase the row height and "wrap the text" "kpeters" <kpeters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAEFD0EB-26F1-4AAB-9D4F-86DF...

Published 2000 pictures make file sizes too big
I have scanned pictures using Microsoft Photo/Draw. The pictures are around 250 KB but when I put them in my Published document, the file grows to 14,000KB. I can't email them or save them on a floppy. How can I get this file size down You may have to convert the file to a pdf format. Publisher just make humongous files. You have several choices when it comes to a pdf converter program from freebees to Adobe Acrobat. The later is on the spendy side and the freebees may disappoint you. My choice after comparing 5 pdf converter programs was PDF-XChange, a very nice commercial produc...

QFD House of Quality Template ??
Does anyone know where I might find a template of the QFD house of quality? I am having trouble making the diagonal parts at the top. Thanks REB There may be something here: http://www.isixsigma.com/tt/qfd/ <Ralph> wrote in message news:41f77e07.85319993@msnews.microsoft.com... > Does anyone know where I might find a template of the QFD > house of quality? I am having trouble making the diagonal parts at > the top. > > Thanks > > REB ...

Cant Change AutoCorrect List
I am using Office 2007 B2 TR, and I have found a problem with the AutoCorrect functionality. I removed some entries from the autocorrect list (the wingding smilies specifically), but it doesn't actually remove them. Every time I go back and write a new email, they are back. I have tried through the message options, through the general outlook options, and through the autocorrect smart-tag options. No matter how I try to get rid of those autocorrect entries, they keep coming back. Is there some magical way to get rid of them, or is this just a bug in the TR? Thanks in advance, - Art...

Change owner of a template in P12
Hi, is there any possibility to change the owner of a template? Usually project owners can be changed in the Project Center of Project Server 2007, but templates are not shown in the Center - or am I mistaken in that point? Background: A user created a template on the server and is thus the owner of the template. But we would like to change this owner to be another user. Thanks for your suggestions! The template owner, which has no meaning in the grand scheme of things, is always the person who saved the template to the server. If you want to change the owner, then dele...

How do you change the way email addresses are displayed? John Doe.
How do you change the way a recipent of an emails name is displayed in an email? I want to only show "John Doe" and not "John Doe (Email):<John Doe@xxx.com>" Displayed where and in what version of Outlook? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "dmoors" <dmoors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:540E8B6B-2F78-4541-9116-3A79F4A5D52B@microsoft.com... > How do you change the way a recipent of an emails name is displayed in an > email? I want to only show "John Doe" and not "John Doe (Email):<John > Doe@xxx.com>&q...

Can you change the way quick parts and/or auto text displays?
Is there a way to change the look of the drop down menu for quick parts and auto text so it does not take up so much space? Something like it looked in 2003? Assuming that you have discovered the building block organizer - see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Buiild_Employ_Custom_BB_Gallery.htm Like 2003 it ain't! -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<&...

Make field Invisible/Visable
I am trying to make a field visible (EmpEndDate) if the EmployeeStatus field is Inactive. I would like it to be invisible if the field is active or null. I have read other posts but still need some assistance. I have the below code so far but it is not working quite right. When I change one record, they all change so I dont know if I need to incude the ID (AutoNumber) in the code? Private Sub EmployeeStatus_AfterUpdate() If Me.EmployeeStatus = "Inactive" Then Me.EmpEndDate.Visible = True Else Me.EmployeeStatus = "Active" Me.EmpEndDate.Visible = False ...

Changing Slide Advnacing timing
Thanks for your attention. I have a PowerPoint presentation with more than 30 slides. Initially I set the slide advancing to AUTOMATICALLY AFTER 00:05 secs for each slide. Rest of the Slide Transition settings for each slide are different. Now I wish to reduce the timing to 00:03 secs without changing other setting. (clicking APPLY TO ALL SLIDES changes the Slide Transition settings in all slide to identical as the one I am working on). 1. Is there a way to do this easily without having to go to each slide individually? 2. If there is a way, can it be used to change ...

APA Template
I am new at using the APA template in Word 2007, the first few papers it was pretty easy , but now my last paper after I saved and submitted it, the header and page numbers dissapear. 2 questions , #1 how can i delete pages on a template without messing up the APA format , # 2 why when I save my document ,the header and page number dissapear. ( i dont need all those extra pages at the end after references , and i want to erase the preprinted text explaining the APA format), what is the best way to do this, any word 2007 expert using APA template please help. -- Old new college stud...

Simple date entry WAY off
Entering today's date as "013006" in a blank cell/new workbook, an changing formatting to ANY type, returns crazy date of "8/10/1935"? All PCs across our company appear to be doing this "all of sudden." Date/regional settings are all normal still. Only recent change was a update to ASAP Utilities, but I can't see how that would affect thing since it's just a plugin. Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks -- ulinetek ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ulineteks's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=g...

Excel cut/Paste Problem: Year changes after data is copy and paste
I am using Excel 2003, and here is the problem. I have an Excel sheet that contains financials. Different departments need different sections of the data, so I copy and paste out only those sections they need and paste it into a new Excel sheet. The colums are broken up into dates, and formated to show date-year (Dec-05). For some reason, when I copy and paste sections, the date will change, for example Dec-05 will change to Dec-01. I have to go thru and manually correct all the dates. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? . .. maybe the cells in the New worksheet are preset to a c...

EXCEL Decimal changes during WORD Merge
Why does Excel change 16 cents into .1599999 in a merge process Have not had this problem until we upgraded to 2003????? I have tried different cell formats in Excel Number - currency - accounting - custom - all with the 2 decimal places text - but rather not lose numeric functions (am re-entering figures by hand and using text format today to finish merged letters - - ugghhh!) Help? I have had a similar problem in previous versions of Excel as well, not just Office 2003. Is the data in Excel coming from an outside source like a non Microsoft database query? I run into this probl...

remove white space without changing plot size
Now I know the white space can be removed by draging plot area but without changing the size of plot I like to remove the white space. Is that impossible ? Not impossible, but it is hard to maintain the plot area size. You have to first make the outer chart area rectangle as small as you need, then make the plot area as large as you need. You'll probably have to cycle through resizing of the two rectangles a few times. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ pm wrote: > Now I know t...

Date tracking on worksheets
A friend wrote with a question (below) about date tracking on individual worksheets within a workbook. I know a little bit of Excel, but this is way beyond me! Any ideas out there?! Thanks in advance....Rick! "is there a way to make each tab of a document, like for example one document 5 tabs, automatically date the tab each time u open it. she want to track the activity on each tab, not the document in its entirety and was wondering if that was possible?" I was thinking that maybe it needs to date it when you exit the worksheet, so that the next time you open it, it will show th...

dafault value for date not working with Date() but Now() is workin
Got a table with existing data, with simple date field on a form that I want to default to todays date. I have tried inputting the Date() into the table default value for the date, but I get an error that says "Unknown function in 'Date' in validation expression or default value on 'Data.date'. Data is the table name. If I enter Now() into the default value for date, it works just fine. But, the reports that are generated, don't show the records with the date and time in them. I can go back to the table and manually delete the time from those records...

extern template object in VC7.1
Hi, I have a templated object in foo.cpp as: AStrType<CERecordType> csiCERecordTypes( CERecordTypesStr, sizeof CERecordType ); And use it fine here. But now I wanted to use it in a second .cpp so I declared: extern AStrType<CERecordTypes::CERecordType> csiCERecordTypes; But this seems to mess the mangled name and the linker can't find it now. And yes, I tried it with the namespace qualifier in the definition. I'm getting around it by creating a second, 'csiCERecordTypes2' in the other cpp file, but that just isn't right. Thanks, Dan. "Dan B...