how do I install MS Office on my second computer?

I installed MS Office on my main computer, registered and validated it.  It
runs fine.  I installed MS Office (same product) on my second computer and
when I try to open a new doc in Word or Excel a window pops up and tells me I
have to purchase the software, because many features are disabled.

"Bill the Greek" <Bill the Greek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed MS Office on my main computer, registered and validated it.
> It
> runs fine.  I installed MS Office (same product) on my second computer and
> when I try to open a new doc in Word or Excel a window pops up and tells
> me I
> have to purchase the software, because many features are disabled.

Did you activate the second copy? Did you look at the EULA (on the first
copy) to see if you can even install on a second machine? (Usually the
second install must be on a PORTABLE machine...)

1
Gordon
1/26/2010 11:07:20 PM
If this is an OEM version, then it belongs one computer only, the one that
it was purchased with. It cannot be install anywhere else.

If it is a retail version, then you can install it on a desktop and a
portable providing it is on one or the other at any given time. In this
case, you may need to call Microsoft to activate it the second time.

If it is a Home and Student version, then it should install fine on both.
See below.

However, when you installed it on your second device, did it have an expired
trial version (or about to expire) installed? Did you uninstall it before
installing the new version?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Bill the Greek" <Bill the Greek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed MS Office on my main computer, registered and validated it.
> It
> runs fine.  I installed MS Office (same product) on my second computer and
> when I try to open a new doc in Word or Excel a window pops up and tells
> me I
> have to purchase the software, because many features are disabled.

0
Terry
1/27/2010 9:30:32 AM
The second paragraph has a missing word. It should read:

If it is a retail version, then you can install it on a desktop and a
portable providing it is ONLY USED on one or the other at any given time.

Terry

"Terry Farrell" <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote in message
> If this is an OEM version, then it belongs one computer only, the one that
> it was purchased with. It cannot be install anywhere else.
>
> If it is a retail version, then you can install it on a desktop and a
> portable providing it is on one or the other at any given time. In this
> case, you may need to call Microsoft to activate it the second time.
>
> If it is a Home and Student version, then it should install fine on both.
> See below.
>
> However, when you installed it on your second device, did it have an
> expired trial version (or about to expire) installed? Did you uninstall it
> before installing the new version?
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "Bill the Greek" <Bill the Greek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:05DD85B9-5E6E-4AB3-AE88-A5658610795D@microsoft.com...
>> I installed MS Office on my main computer, registered and validated it.
>> It
>> runs fine.  I installed MS Office (same product) on my second computer
>> and
>> when I try to open a new doc in Word or Excel a window pops up and tells
>> me I
>> have to purchase the software, because many features are disabled.

0
Terry
1/27/2010 12:12:36 PM
> The second paragraph has a missing word. It should read:
>
> If it is a retail version, then you can install it on a desktop and a
> portable providing it is ONLY USED on one or the other at any given time.

Does it not say as well that the portable must be owned by the owner of the
primary device?

0
Gordon
1/27/2010 12:19:53 PM

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Terry Farrell" <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote in message
>> The second paragraph has a missing word. It should read:
>>
>> If it is a retail version, then you can install it on a desktop and a
>> portable providing it is ONLY USED on one or the other at any given time.
>>

> Does it not say as well that the portable must be owned by the owner of
> the primary device?

Actually the '07 EULA for retail says "Portable Device.  You may install
another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the
licensed device."

The '03 EULA for retail says "install an additional copy of the Software on
a second, portable device for the exclusive use of the primary user of the
first copy of the Software."

0
LVTravel

Office Tools in 2010
I use Office 2003 and am accustomed to reaching for Office Tools quite often. Are they included in any version of 2010? Thank you. Some are. Which specific tools are you looking for? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "JJG" <not@anwhere.com> wrote in message news:ODvL4$76KHA.5708@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I use Office 2003 and am accustomed to reaching for Office Tools ...

Computer Projector
Hi. Our local astronomy club acquired a used XP SP3 mini-tower for the clubhouse, only one video port. We have a 15' video cable to hook up a computer projector. Question. What's the best way to hook up the projector? Video cable splitter? A second video card? Replace the video card with a two port unit? Any advice is appreciated...Dennis Dennis Allen wrote: > Hi. Our local astronomy club acquired a used XP SP3 mini-tower for the > clubhouse, only one video port. We have a 15' video cable to hook up a > computer projector. Question. What'...

Auto complete in Excel (Office) 2003
Is it possible to increase the *memory* of autocomplete?? I notice in the columns that excel will attempt to autocomplete if the text has been used in the last 100 or so cells (i think). What I would like is it to attempt to remember , say, 500 cells back. Is this possible?? Have I explained myself well enough? :-) Cheers Bob Check http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219730 fo possible solution -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Can't install windows updates on SBS 2003
I have a SBS 2003 server that has not been updated in a couple years. It has SP2 installed but when I run Microsoft Update it needs to download and install 96 updates. When I try to get them installed it comes back with an error saying not enough disk space. I have tried to just install 1 update at a time and get the same error. The C:\ drive has over 14GB of free space and the other drives have plenty of space as well. I restarted the server and also ran Disk Cleanup, as the error message reccomends, but am still having the same problem. Anyone run across this problem befo...

Office XP Exel
Scenario: User's A,B, C, and D all have access to an excel XLS on a 2003 server. Users A & B have modify rights, users C&D only have read rights. If user A updates the file, the general tab in properties reflect the exact time the file was modified. After user A saves and closes the file, user D goes in. The changes are there, but in the properties general tab, the modify date in an old date (probably the actual creation date). Is this normal ? Any idea's ? ...

How to install Exchange in an "Administrative Group"
I am running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on a DC in my lab. Exchange is installed in the "First Administrative Group". Now I want to install a second Exchange 2003 Server in another "Administrative Group" called "Midwest". This is what I did: 1. Installed the second Exchange 2003 server in the "First Administrative Group". 2. Created the second "Administrative Group" called "Midwest". 3. Tried to move the second Exchange 2003 server into the "Midwest" Administrative Group. The problem was that I was not able to &q...

Moving from Home & Student to Full version of Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I need Exchange support and therefore I am planning to buy the Full version of MS Office 2008 for Mac. I already purchased and installed (and have been using) MS Office 2008 Home & Student edition. My questions are: 1. Should I uninstall the Home & Student edition before installing the Full version? (I assume so). 2. How do I make sure that the data I have already created in Office 2008 Home & Student edition will be available to me after installing the Full version? In particular, how do I make sure that ...

A first look at the new Office Snapin for MSCRM
http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann -- John [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm. ...

Intelligent Message Filter Installation Failure
I've tried installing the Intelligent Message Filter on a Windows 2000 SP4 Exchange 2003 SP1 server. The installation fails at around 98% with the following error: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. a program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. contact your support personnel or package vendor. I tried downloading it again, and had the same results. Any ideas? Thanks ...

Adding an "I'm out of the Office" Message
Re Outlook Express. I can't find anywhere on the index about how to send one of those "I will be out of the office from July blah blah to August blah blah." Anyone help, please? thanks-- Richard Hi - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexp...

Office 207 One Note
My One Note has been working fine for at least 2 years. Then a couple of days ago two pages of my most important information in my main workbook just disappeared. I'm not sure but none of the other pages look the same. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? Have had no other computer problems recently. -- Rockymtnwoman -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > My One Note has been working fine for at least 2 years. Then a couple of days > ago two pages of my most important information in my main workbook just > disappeared. > I'm not sure b...

WMP12 crashes after 5 seconds
im using WMP12 on WIN 7 it crashes after approx 5 seconds and goes thru the normal WMP12 encountered an error message but nothing happens with regards to fixing or reporting... Media centre works fine. so im kinda perplexed.. i must point out thoi i UPGRADED to WIn 7 from Vista home premium.. the installation went smoothly and everything was fine until i shanged the mobo and cpu for a quadcore any ideas pls??? Any crash details for that from the Event Viewer? http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#bucket -- Speaking for myself only. See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html ...

Language Support for all Office 2000 programs
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I'm not finding any language support downloads for Office 2000. Does anyone have a specific link to send me to, so that I can do this? I have important documents that I have to print, but I recently got a new PC with 64-bit Vista. I loaded my 200 Office Suite on the PC, but it no longer is supporting the foreign language that I have throughout my documents. I just get block shapes instead. I need help. Thanks. Start here Deploying Office 2000 with Additional Language Resources http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2000/HA011383...

re install Pub 2000 problem.
Hello and I hope I'm In the right newsgroup. My problem is I've had to re install my Office 2000 Disc2 and now when I want to start publisher the message box tells me I am trying to access a program that needs the cd. When I installed it, I checked for Publiher to "run all from my computer" I've un installed and re installed, still need disc. what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help, John :) Johnny1r wrote: > Hello and I hope I'm In the right newsgroup. My problem is I've had to > re install my Office 2000 Disc2 and now when I want to start publis...

Office 2007 on Windows 7
I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I install Office 2007 without any propblems? Answered your first posting. apensa wrote: > I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 > but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I > install Office 2007 without any propblems? ...

New Computer #3
How do I move my settings, emails, address book, etc... to my new computer. I'm mostly concerned with Outlook because it's the program I use most often. I have an older computer running WIN2K Pro. I purchased a new Dell computer with Windows XP Pro also with Office 2003. Again how do I make my new Outlook have all the information and settings that my old computer has. I do have both computers connected on my home network and they can see each other. But I'm not sure what to copy over. Any help would be very helpful. Thank You, Paul The file you need to copy and re-use up ...

Installation Failure on 2003
Hello and thanks for your time and I need some help on this. When installing on a fresh install Win 2003 server that has: - SQL 2000 with SP3a - MSXML installation - Logged in as the AD administrator - Member server in a Native 2003 AD (Seperate AD controller) - Exchange 2003 is running on the 2nd server that is the AD controller - DNS checks out I get an error at the start of the installation that says: "Setup cannot install Microsoft CRM server" "Setup cannot create the Microsoft CRM databases" It's probably a rights issue but I can't figure it out. Thanks...

Cannot install Money Plus
I have Money 2002 and uninstalled it. Wanted to upgrade to a new version of Money. Tried to install Money Plus Deluxe (trial version) and keep getting error Setup was unable to install some of the components needed to run Money. Try installing Money again. Its HP M9300t Vista Home Premium system. I tried the software on my XP computer and it work fine. So there must be a problem with Vista. Any help would be appreciated. I am having the same problem, but mine is in XP. I need a resolution quickly, because having had to uninstall Money 2003, I am now left without any checkbook regist...

MS Exchange and external mail relay
In our organization we are planning if moving from Linux (postfix) to MS Exchange server. We plan to implement Postfix (in DMZ zone) as a mail relay for Exchange server (in LAN).We have about 400 users on the same external domain like @company.com. The trick is that about 100 of users only need mail address (not also a domain account), so we're thinking if it is possible to create 300 of our users of @comany.com domain on Exchange server, all other users that need only company mail (also @comapany.com) will have mailboxes on mail relay (postfix), not on Exchange server. Since it...

Uninstall parts of Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi All, Is there a possibility to properly uninstall parts of Office that I don't want on my computer (eg Entourage), or is it just a matter of dragging those elements to trash? Thanks, Leo In article <59b75643.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, <Leo_Schouten@officeformac.com> wrote: > Is there a possibility to properly uninstall parts of Office that I don't > want on my computer (eg Entourage), or is it just a matter of dragging those > elements to trash? I don't recommend doing that becau...

Office 2004 and Languages
I had the office test drive in my new PowerBook that runned in Spanish. Then I've bought the full version and installed it in my computer but launches the app in English. Then I explored the office folder in both the testdrive and the full version and found out that there is a plugin (Microsoft Component Plugin) that tells office to run in a specific language. However, as this plugin also seems to contain the testdrive expiration date, once the Office program launches, it closes again. Does some body knows how I can activate other languages in Office, as it is clear that contains all the...

Money 2003 wants to install again
I upgraded from Money 2000 to Money 2003 online. I wanted to get rid of all the works files so I used the Works 2000 cleanup tool. Now, whenever ANY window opens, it's preceded by Money 2003 wanting to install. And the knowledge base give a link to the money store and it asks for the product activation key. To add insult to injury, I called on 8/2/04@ 5:00 PM ET and recording said they were closed, even tho' the hours are until 10:00 PM> Sheesh!!! What next? Any one have any suggestions to stop the install? ...