How do I insert Roman Numerals?

New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
Numerlas in my document?

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

Just type them...
II
III
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX
XI

etc etc.

3
Gordon
1/18/2010 2:20:36 PM
Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro

Dim oRng As Range
Set oRng = Selection.Range
oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False

it will thus display XX1

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

-1
Graham
1/18/2010 3:04:56 PM
"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>
> Dim oRng As Range
> Set oRng = Selection.Range
> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>
> it will thus display XX1

Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Gordon
1/18/2010 3:18:14 PM
Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some of
the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does not use
Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work out the
ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then type that?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>
>> Dim oRng As Range
>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>
>> it will thus display XX1
>

> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Graham
1/18/2010 3:28:54 PM
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?

<sigh> you're right - everyone should have a classical education.... :-(

0
Gordon
1/18/2010 4:11:36 PM
The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
;-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

1
JoAnn
1/18/2010 4:59:59 PM
But writing macros does.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
> ;-)
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Doug
1/18/2010 7:44:21 PM
But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Terry
1/18/2010 10:41:06 PM
If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
:)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Terry Farrell" <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote in message
> But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Graham
1/19/2010 6:55:04 AM
:)

tf

> If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
> :)
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

1
Terry
1/19/2010 9:37:12 AM
Yes, they do.  :-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> But writing macros does.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
>> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
>> ;-)
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and
>>> some of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who
>>> does not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro
>>> to work out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is
>>> MDLXXV then type that?
>>>
>>> --
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>
>>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>

>>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
JoAnn

How to insert page with different page numbering
I am using Word 2003 and trying to insert a page "a" (i.e. insert page 407a after page 407). I have added the new page as a separate section and managed to changed the page number to 407 (so there are now two 407 pages). But, when I add an "a" to the page number it adds an "a" to all the page numbers in the whole document. I cannot figure out a way to prevent this. I could possibly do this in 2007 and save as 2003 format it I need to. Any ideas? What am I missing? Hi Lisa, In addition to the section break that you made between page 407 and 407a, ...

Column headers are numeric
Hello , All my column headers are now numbers instead of letters ...HELP !!!!!!! thanks Click Tools > Options > General tab Uncheck "R1C1 reference" > OK -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Dan DeCoursey" wrote: > Hello , > > All my column headers are now numbers instead of letters ...HELP !!!!!!! > > thanks ...

Protected worksheet
Hi, Let me clarify. Any way to setup a worksheet so it is protected from data or column/row deletions, but the user would be able to insert columns/rows while the worksheet was "still" protected? Thanks!! Hi not possible without this kind of macro. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4B4351D8-0335-43F9-A2D8-3D3F7939AE71@microsoft.com... > Hi, Let me clarify. Any way to setup a worksheet so it is protected from > data or column/row deletions, but the user would be able to insert >...

Roman and Arabic numbers in SEQ
Running 2003 on XP. Got a doc that has SEQ numbering. The code is: ARTICLE{seq level0\h\r0}{seq level1\h\r0} etc. to level 7 and the last entry is {seq level0\r1\*ROMAN) This displays ARTICLE I The next level down is has this code: {seq level0\c\*ROMAN}.{seq level1\r1 \*arabic} This displays as : I.1, with numbers until article five displaying as V.1, V.2, etc. I want it to display as 1.1, 1.2, etc. I tried replacing the ROMAN with arabic, but it didn't change anything. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Using reveal formating and styles, they are no styles...

All icons on my insert and data tab is greyed out
I was attempting to create a pie chart and clicked the pie chart icon. However, did not want it embedded in the same Work sheet, so I clicked on the new work sheet tab. It did not work and somehow I must have triggered something else and all icons on both my insert tab and data tab is greyed out. Hi, It sounds like you were in 2007? In that case create the chart in the spreadsheet and then right-click the border of the chart and choose Move chart. choose the New Sheet option... Regarding the grayed out items - you are in Group mode because more than one tab is selected. Right-click...

insert excel spreadsheet
Hello I have a Word document into which I want to insert an Excel spreadsheet. I want to be able to update the spreadsheet and have the word document update at the same time. I also want to be able to print the word document with the excel data shown as a table. I think this is possible, but I cannot find the route. I have excel 2007 and word 2007 Thanks KK Copy your Excel data Paste into Word using the Paste Special/Paste Link option On Mar 22, 9:46=A0am, "KRK" <tre...@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > Hello > > I have a Word do...

Can't Insert > Picture / WordArt...
Office XP. Excel 2002 (10.2614.2625): the Insert: >> (Picture/WordArt/From File) etc feature isn't functioning, all options are greyed out. When loading, the options in the toolbar appear functional (colors), but grey out once worksheet is loaded. Any ideas? Thanks Harry Is the worksheet protected? In article <hOA0c.6655$Zp.3586@fed1read07>, "Harry Marnell" <marnell@cox.net> wrote: > Office XP. Excel 2002 (10.2614.2625): the Insert: >> (Picture/WordArt/From > File) etc feature isn't functioning, all options are greyed out. When > ...

Shortcut for inserting names?
Hi, I am building many formulas, each with many named cells as part of it. Currently I have to go to Insert | Name | Paste with the mouse each time I want to insert a name. I looked in Walkenbach's Excel Bible but couldn't find any mention of a keyboard shortcut or other shortcut. Is there one I could take advantage of? I've got Excel 2002. Thanks, Jamie ...

Insert row with button
Is it possible to have a main workbook with information from other workbooks at each worksheet? I have 20 workbooks with information. I would like to haven a main workbook with on sheet1 every row from the 20workbooks with category1, on sheet2 every row from the 20workbooks with category2, etc, etc. The information in the 20workbooks in always only on sheet. The Colum in which the data is has no fix end. I go to fill in the rows trough a user-form and comes always under the last row. The mainsheet has to update every time it opens (and if possible a button on the sheet to update man...

Insert Disc 5?
Hi. I've never used publisher on my home pc before (didn't really know it was here!) Anyway, anytime I try to open a template (for example, I'm trying to make table tents) I keep getting an error message "PLEASE INSERT THE CD TITLED: HOME PUBLISHER 2000: DESIGNS & ART, DISC 5" I don't have any home publisher discs - it came with my computer. I've tried reinstalling Microsoft Office 2000 Pro, but it didn't solve my problem. Suggestions? Do you have Microsoft Works Suite 2000? Or... Microsoft Home Publishing Suite 2000? That's where you will...

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.

I need to change my keyboard to insert the degree sign not ^.
I type medical documents and need to type the degree sign very often. Using the symbol area and then picking my choice is slowing down my work. I had changed this in my previous Word programs, but I can't figure out how to do it with 7. HELP. The built-in keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+@, Spacebar (that is, on U.S. keyboards, Ctrl+Shift+2, Spacebar). If that's a stretch for you (as it is for me), you may want to assign an easier shortcut; in the Symbol dialog, click on the Shortcut Key... button, type your desired shortcut, and click Assign. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill M...

Size Picture after Insert
I am using the following macro to allow the user to insert a pictur into any a cell. Sub Insert_Pic() ' ' Insert_Pic Macro ' Macro recorded 10/12/2004 by INSTALL ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+i ' Application.Dialogs(xlDialogInsertPicture).Show End Sub How do I automatically size the picture. I have tried selection.shaperange.height = But nothing happens, and I do not get an error -- sspittel ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sspittell's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=706 View this...

Insert spaces between pasted values
Hi! Is there a way to insert spaces between values that are pasted? For example, i have in rows 1,2,3 values a,b,c and i want to paste them into another list in rows 1,3,5 respectively (with a single-row space between pasted values). Thanx! M ...

Insert Date sheet was modified
Is it possible to insert the date a sheet was last modified into a sheet cell? Thanks. Spot on. "Otto Moehrbach" <ottomnospam@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:eF7$V8yYDHA.652@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Alex > This short macro will put the date the sheet was last modified into cell > A1. Right-click on the sheet tab, select View Code, and paste this macro > into that module. HTH Otto > Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) > [A1] = Date > End Sub > "Alex Burman" <burmanalex@hotmail.com> wrote in message ...

INSERT a Table (32 items) into another Table
Hi, I have a form with a subform. The subform is linked parent to child. The subform has a field that has a combo box. From the combo there are two choices. On the after update if the selcetion is equal too "INSERT ALL ITEMS - 32 LINES" the idea is to take the contents of a separate table line by line and insert into the subform / subtable. I Have the following code If Me!cboProject_Notes.Column(0) = "INSERT ALL CHOICES - 32 LINES" Then 'do the input from the table tblProjectNotes_Default Set db = CurrentDb Set rst = db.OpenRecordset(&q...

how do i insert words into a column without erasing the words
i have excel 95-96 on the computer i use, but ever time i want to add something it delets the whole row. how can i aviod this from happening. but i am looking for the row at the top of the page where you can click on the row and insert a word, numbers or whatever you need to where do i find that on the program? ...

my column headers has changed to numeric from alphabetcal order #2
I have come across strange problem ..my column names has chnaged to numeric from alphabet and now none of my formulaes work as all the cell names show up as R1C1 , R1C2 and so on... Anyone knows what have i messed up ??? Hi Annie, Try: Tools | Options | General Tab | Uncheck R1C1 reference style. --- Regards, Norman "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FE6319D-59BD-4BEE-9C77-B8B97AC78CEF@microsoft.com... >I have come across strange problem ..my column names has chnaged to numeric > from alphabet and now none of my formulaes work ...

How can I set numerous activities to the same dates?
Is there anyway to tie several activities together so that they happen on the same date?? -- TMI Contractors ------------------------------------------------------------------------ TMI Contractors's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/216904.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1334224.htm http://forums.techarena.in Hi, You should link them all to the Task that triggers them all to start. -- Rod Gill Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.pr...

Form and inserting lines
I want to make a simple data entry form. After values are entered, a seperate worksheet is populated and a new line added. How can this be done? Any ideas appreciated Debra Dalgleish has some userform instructions at: http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html and it includes a link to Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/ExcelDev/Articles/sxs11pt1.htm Anthony Slater wrote: > > I want to make a simple data entry form. After values are entered, a seperate > worksheet is populated and a new line added. > > How can this be done? > > Any ideas appreciated -- Dave ...

Insert multiple page word doc into Excel
I am trying to insert a multiple page word doc into Excel. When I insert the Word file into Excel, it only inserts the 1st page, How can I get the remaining pages? I don't think you can. Maybe you could train the users to double click on the document and view it that way. (or make multiple one page documents???) Mike G wrote: > > I am trying to insert a multiple page word doc into > Excel. When I insert the Word file into Excel, it only > inserts the 1st page, How can I get the remaining pages? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Inserting a Check mark in an Excel Cell
I want tp place a check mark and an "X" inside cells for a comparative chart analysis. In Word I go to INSERT, Symbol and select, but how do you do it in excel? I don't want to use the x key but rather the one similar to the one found in symbol look up of Word. Thanks Hi G118! First change the font using Format > Cells > Font and select Wingdings from the drop down. With the Numlock on: Hold down Alt and type 0252. On releasing Alt it produces � An alternative is to change the font to Marlett and type lower case a. You can use similar approaches to inse...