How do I insert Roman Numerals?

New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
Numerlas in my document?

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

Just type them...
II
III
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX
XI

etc etc.

3
Gordon
1/18/2010 2:20:36 PM
Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro

Dim oRng As Range
Set oRng = Selection.Range
oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False

it will thus display XX1

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

-1
Graham
1/18/2010 3:04:56 PM
"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>
> Dim oRng As Range
> Set oRng = Selection.Range
> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>
> it will thus display XX1

Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Gordon
1/18/2010 3:18:14 PM
Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some of
the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does not use
Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work out the
ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then type that?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>
>> Dim oRng As Range
>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>
>> it will thus display XX1
>

> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Graham
1/18/2010 3:28:54 PM
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?

<sigh> you're right - everyone should have a classical education.... :-(

0
Gordon
1/18/2010 4:11:36 PM
The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
;-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

1
JoAnn
1/18/2010 4:59:59 PM
But writing macros does.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
> ;-)
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Doug
1/18/2010 7:44:21 PM
But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Terry
1/18/2010 10:41:06 PM
If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
:)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Terry Farrell" <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote in message
> But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Graham
1/19/2010 6:55:04 AM
:)

tf

> If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
> :)
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

1
Terry
1/19/2010 9:37:12 AM
Yes, they do.  :-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> But writing macros does.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
>> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
>> ;-)
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and
>>> some of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who
>>> does not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro
>>> to work out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is
>>> MDLXXV then type that?
>>>
>>> --
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>
>>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>

>>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
JoAnn

Inserted graphics in Publisher can't be seen.
There has to be an easy fix,Help! Dennis <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > There has to be an easy fix,Help! Try View > Pictures > Detailed Display. If this fails, this is almost certainly a problem with your video driver. By going to Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot, and dragging the Hardware Acceleration slider down three notches, you will be able to disable Publisher from making the calls on the video driver that cause this problem. If this does fix your problem, it means that the problem does indeed li...

go to first cell of inserted row
Hello all, I have a macro that inserts a new row.(normally don't need a macro but I have formatted cells that need to be copied etc). But after the insertion it leaves the active row highlighted. I would like to go to (or select) the first cell of that new active row. What code should I insert at the end of my macro to do this? Thanks in advance, Dave Hi Dave Try this: Selection(1, 1).Select Regards, Per "Dave" <Dave.Beaune@lhsc.on.ca> skrev i meddelelsen news:4b098e62-338d-4470-a40d-659ca91843f9@f19g2000vbf.googlegroups.com... > Hello all, > > I have a m...

How to re-insert Windows Mail in the top of the Start Menu list?
Thinking AOL web-mail would be used as the E-mail client on this system, to avoid confusion, Windows Mail was removed from the Start Menu list. The program remains on the system, and it has been possible to place an icon on the desktop to access it, but it would be good if it could be restored to its rightful place at the top (under the Internet Explorer link) of the Start menu (what you get when clicking on the encircled Microsoft symbol in the lower left corner of the screen). How should that be done? AOL web-mail has lost out to Windows Mail as the preferred e-mail client, ...

Insert data into Combo
Mistake #1 Thought I'd improve on this process: A user goes to select their name from a combo, but it's not in the list, so I have a button that opens a User entry pop-up form to add their name. They close the entry form and now must select their name from the combo. I want to dump the user entry form name into the combo when they close the user entry form so they don't have to select it. My problem is loading the new ID into the combo so the query can run from the combo data. The row source bound column is MbrID, with the second column being LFName. I've t...

Insert Object in Cell
Hi I can insert a file in a cell using Insert-Object-Create from File but how can i insert a mail message in a cell? Mail does not show on the Insert Object list of Object Types Thanks Jim First open the mail message and do a Save As and put it in an accessible drive folder. NOW do your Insert, Object, Create from file, Browse, and select your "Saved message" file. Jim wrote: > Hi > I can insert a file in a cell using Insert-Object-Create from File but how > can i insert a mail message in a cell? Mail does not show on the Insert > Object list of Object Types &...

inserting text from a combo box to a text box
Hi - I have a forms control combo box with several different choices. I would like what ever is selected from the combo box to be inserted with a certain font and size into a text box on the same sheet. Can anybody offer some help - thanks much - Jim A On May 20, 7:17=A0am, Jim A <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi - I have a forms control combo box with several different choices. =A0= I > would like what ever is selected from the combo box to be inserted with a > certain font and size into a text box on the same sheet. =A0Can anybody o= ffer > some help - than...

How can comments be inserted into a document ?
Can comments be inserted into a documents done in Publisher? If so, how? No..not automatically. You should be using Word. There is always the callouts in Autoshapes. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9195C75-EB38-45A2-ABA4-879C86988A9C@microsoft.com... > Can comments be inserted into a documents done in Publisher? If so, how? ...

Why is Paste in Word 2007 Shift-Insert?
The keyboard shortcut in Excel and elsewhere remains Ctrl-V, but in WORD in the version of Office 2007 on my new PC it is the less convenient Shift-Insert. Why? Ctrl+V should still work in any version of Word. If not, you can reassign it. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "RBM-TAX" <RBM-TAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F46FDDBF-B24F-4283-9989-F7CE67B41E7C@microsoft.com... > The keyboard shortcut in Excel and elsewhere remains Ctrl-V, but in WORD > in > the...

Frequency charts with non-numeric data
If I have a column of non-numeric data (for example 500 different fields, each field stating the color of a car ie green, green,green, red,red, silver etc) how do I draw a graph showing the frequency of each colour type? For example green 200, red 100, white 100, silver 100 (preferably with the % for each). The countif function will work combined with the graph wizard, but his becomes very labourius for many categories (or colours). For those familiar with statistics, this is a pareto. There is a pareto function in the Data Analysis Add ins but it does not appear to work with non-numer...

XML Insert data C# ASP.net 2.0 Need to know how to insert by speci
Hello, I have the following XML Schema: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Schedule> <Day Name="Monday"> </Day> <Day Name="Tuesday"> </Day> <Day Name="Wednesday"> </Day> <Day Name="Thursday"> </Day> <Day Name="Friday"> </Day> <Day Name="Saturday"> </Day> <Day Name="Sunday"> </Day> </Schedule> I want users to be able to input the following tiomeblocks for a scheduling s...

Insert Lines
I have a worksheet sent to me with over 700 names on it. I need to put 4 extra lines under each name. Is there a way to do this without having to individually insert those lines as this will take a long time. Thanks. On Apr 29, 9:29=EF=BF=BDpm, RENEE <RE...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a worksheet sent to me with over 700 names on it. =EF=BF=BDI need = to put 4 > extra lines under each name. =EF=BF=BDIs there a way to do this without h= aving to > individually insert those lines as this will take a long time. =EF=BF=BDT= hanks. Output as CSV Open...

capture numerical data
I want to capture some numerical data from the website. For example, temperature of an observatory. How can I do it using C++ or using MFC library? Thank you very much! How is the data made available? WIthout that specification, no solution can be proposed. joe On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:42:03 +0800, "Dam" <yatyat11@yahoo.com> wrote: >I want to capture some numerical data from the website. For example, >temperature of an observatory. How can I do it using C++ or using MFC >library? >Thank you very much! > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.co...

can you sort numeric address numbers by even/odd
You guys gave me the clue on how to change Text to Columns. Now I looked through the help file I can't figure out how to sort the address numbers even/odd 4556 4558 and then when done 4551 4553 etc. please and thanks in advance -- ----------------------------------------------------- Tennessee State Motto: The Educashun State ----------------------------------------------------- Bill H. in Chicagoland webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080 weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org web blog at http://vote4billheinzinger.blogsport.com If all you have in that field is the address number,...

Insert order by a SQL Query
i try to put a order in the Sop10100 and 10200 for detail I have 90% success, idee was insert my order as a quote and going in to great plains to transfer all quote in order, to make sure GP will update all the table 2 problem i found i dont have any master number, and no lnitmseq When i try to transfere my quote gp say 0 doc tansfere and 0 error Is there any stored procedure thaht i should use any important thing i have to check to make sure it will work Could someone help me with this What you are suggesting is a function that should be performed by the eConnect product. It take...

Converting/inserting values, without changing the other contents.
Hi all this is what i require: the overdue is INR 250k (SGD 7,543), out of which for INR 125k (SGD 3,771) payment is processed, for INR 30k (SGD 905) bills resubmitted for queries, for INR 25k (SGD 754) supporting were resubmitted, for INR 45k (SGD 1,358) payment will be made in 1week of next month. the above comments will be in m5 without the sgd value, i need help to converrt those values and show as above in n5, after multiplying the converting factor at b2 thank you ...

Best Method to Chart Numerous Data Points
I need to develop charts demonstrating health care providors self- assessment ratings versus average ratings on an individual and group basis. I also need to display changes over time. I have 10 participants who evaluated their performance over 303 practices (which are divided across 24 topic areas). The ratings are on a scale of 1 to 3. Since there are so many areas evaluated (the 303) I am having difficulting determining what the best chart methodology to utilize is. Even if I calculate the average per participant for each of the 24 topic areas, all the charts I come up with are extreme...

INSERT Query woes...
I thought I had solved this problem earlier but apperently not. I'm getting the following error: The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate value in the index, primary key, or relationship. Change the data in the fields that contain duplicate data, remove the index, or redefine the index to permit duplicate entries and try again. Here's the INSERT Query I'm using: INSERT INTO tblRefNum ( RefNum, BatchNum ) SELECT DISTINCT RefNum, {lngBatch} FROM tblMain; {lngBatch} is a number I generate using VBA which looks at tblRefNu...

Insertion of existing worksheets in current worksheet
I am running Office 2003 on Win 2000. I have several worksheets that I would like to insert into an open worksheet. Is it possible to do this without opening each of those, and then copying and pasting? TIA AFAIK you must open the files. Better than copy/paste try right click on the sheet name and select move or copy. Use the drop down to select the workbook you want. You have a choice of creating a copy leaving the original intact. HTH "caduser" wrote: > I am running Office 2003 on Win 2000. I have several worksheets that I would > like to insert into an open worksh...

Inserting a clock into an Excel cell
Hiya I'm trying to put a clock in a spreadsheet that updates once a minute. I'm using the =NOW() formula, but it doesn't always update every minute. Any ideas on how to make excel update a spreadsheet's cell automatically? Thanks ps. Is there a way of making Excel automatically update a spreadsheet, without human interferance? LIke making it press F9 automatically for you? Carsten The code will go into a VBA code module in your workbook and be run by assigning the macros to buttons or shortcut keys or by running it automatically. Read Chip's instructions carefully t...

Conditional Formating on three digit numeric cell database
Have created a three digit (including zeros) numerical database in the range A2-A35 expanding now up to CC2-CC35. Note that leading zeros are not shown. My wish is to find the cells of same numerics in any random or repetitive (ex:567,576,657,675,756,765) in the whole database and to color shade. How can I? Use a macro ... There are 120 different three digit combinations that can be made from 10 digits, without repeats, so you cannot have a unique color for each combination of digits. Do you only want to highlight one at a time? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "ghinzrey" <ghi...

Inserting Objects in Session.Variable
Hi, I am trying to hold object in a the Session.Variable(1) as below dim card as new xyzobject Session.Variable=card I keep getting error. Any ideas. I am new to RMS and it looks documentation and samples are not much out there except this fantastic newsgroup. Thanks in advance ...

How can I insert a GRID in a CRecordWiew Form??
Hello group I'm programming a MDI aplication with a VC++ 6.0. My aplicacion is based in MDI and I need insert in a CRecordView a control grid, DBGrid,FlexGrid,i.e. for me is the same, for show the data of the CRecordSet. Anybody help me? Thanks in advance. ...

Sending Ctrl + Numeric+ to a list control...?
Hi all, As I'm sure most of you know, if you hit Ctrl and Numeric + (VK_ADD) within a (report style) list control the list control will auto-resize the column headers. (At least it does this under XP - not sure about other OS's). Quite a nice feature - which is why I was surprised to find that this functionality is not exposed within CListCtrl itself. Or is it...? I had tried previously to programmatically fake the Ctrl + AK_ADD key combination but with no luck... I focused mainly on sending messages (WM_CHAR, WM_KEYDOWN, etc.) and keyboard events (keybd_event() and SendInput()), but...

Run numerous calculations through a single formula
Subject: Run numerous calculations through a single formula I have a complex tax formula that numerous other calculations use to arrive at a final calculation. That is, these other calculations are not complete after running through the complex formula. What formula would allow for this type of process? Here is a simplified flow of the calculations. Calculation 1 > complex formula > calculation 2 Calculation 25 > complex formula > calculation 26 etc. -- MZ Suppose I have number X and Y and find the value of the square root of (X-12)²/(1-Y) I could wr...