How do I insert Roman Numerals?

New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
Numerlas in my document?

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

Just type them...
II
III
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX
XI

etc etc.

3
Gordon
1/18/2010 2:20:36 PM
Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro

Dim oRng As Range
Set oRng = Selection.Range
oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False

it will thus display XX1

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

-1
Graham
1/18/2010 3:04:56 PM
"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>
> Dim oRng As Range
> Set oRng = Selection.Range
> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>
> it will thus display XX1

Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Gordon
1/18/2010 3:18:14 PM
Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some of
the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does not use
Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work out the
ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then type that?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>
>> Dim oRng As Range
>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>
>> it will thus display XX1
>

> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Graham
1/18/2010 3:28:54 PM
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?

<sigh> you're right - everyone should have a classical education.... :-(

0
Gordon
1/18/2010 4:11:36 PM
The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
;-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

1
JoAnn
1/18/2010 4:59:59 PM
But writing macros does.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
> ;-)
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Doug
1/18/2010 7:44:21 PM
But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Terry
1/18/2010 10:41:06 PM
If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
:)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Terry Farrell" <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote in message
> But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Graham
1/19/2010 6:55:04 AM
:)

tf

> If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
> :)
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

1
Terry
1/19/2010 9:37:12 AM
Yes, they do.  :-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> But writing macros does.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
>> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
>> ;-)
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and
>>> some of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who
>>> does not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro
>>> to work out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is
>>> MDLXXV then type that?
>>>
>>> --
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>
>>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>

>>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
JoAnn

How do I insert consecutive numbers on postcards
What version Publisher are you using? Do you have Excel or Access? You can create a number list in Publisher and use mail merge to get consecutive numbers on your postcards. Help here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH062524751033.aspx A sample Excel data base here. http://msauer.mvps.org/misc.htm -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "miclyn" <miclyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50D635AB-CCE5-4056-B0B4-5BE2F9815479@microsoft.com... > ...

insert date #3
I need a formula that will change in my data validation list. example: I have a list of 30 days starting with Oct. 1 to Oct. 30, tomorrow I want it to read Oct. 2 to Oct. 31 in my Data Validation list. Can someone help me with this? Hi you could use the TODAY() function for this. So something like the following in A1: =TODAY()-30 and in A2: =A1+1 copy this down and use this data as source for your listbox -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Khamsta" <Khamsta@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:B525CF4A-1413-4E64-AD7A-2430BEC2B879@microsoft.com... ...

Outlook 2003 Liink Insertion (Font Color)
When I install a link (e-mail or website), in Outlook 2003, the font color is always purple. Where can I go to make the default blue in color? Thanks...Keith That is controlled by Internet Options-> Color. Note that when you visit a link the color is different by default as well. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Keith" <keith@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1KbTc.20174$9Y6.16254@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net... > When I...

Inserting multiple now-times automatically
Hi, I have got an instrument that produces ASCII-data linked to an Exce spreadsheet via serial communication. Every time that my instrumen sends a string of data, I want excel to generate a date and time stamp The data I sent is spread over 2 colums. I've tried this formula in the third colum : IF(A1<>B1,NOW(),"") It worked, BUT Every time I enter a new row of date, it updates all the dates an times, and not just the one in that row. What should I change?? Thanks in advance for helping me out -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com hi, the now() function alwa...

CEdit insertion point
I have two CEdit controls on dlg. EditCtrl1 has same text in it. What I want to do is when I type some text in EditCtrl2 I want to append the entered text to the existing text in EditCtrl1 (I have managed to get the text into the control), but it does not go to the end of the existing text, it always goes at the begining of the existing text. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. void CProjNameEdit::OnChar(UINT nChar, UINT nRepCnt, UINT nFlags) { CFirstPageDlg *pDlg = (CFirstPageDlg*)GetParent(); CEdit *pEdit = (CEdit*)pDlg->GetDlgItem(IDC_DEST_DIR); if (pDlg ==...

Publisher:Page is locked.Can't do anything, esp.insert photos or .
My publisher page is locked?! Can't do anything. Can't start another page or make any changes on any of my pub. files!!! HELP! Start at the beginning. What version of Publisher? What were you doing when you first encountered this problem? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "SqueezyPajamas" <SqueezyPajamas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89B2B248-9EB8-493F-9083-A50C637B3CAC@microsoft.com... > My publisher page is locked?! Can't do anything. Can't start another page > or > make any changes on any of my pub. files!!! HEL...

how to insert comment in word
Dear gurus, I want to know about the database tool bar and how to insert the comment on review, and update field in index? plz help in this regard ...

How do you insert a page break in a Microsoft Publisher document ?
How do you insert a page break in a Microsoft Publisher document ? Control and enter inserts an entire blank page! Help! Ctrl+Shift+N are the keystrokes to insert a blank page. Ctrl+Enter works fine for me. You can also use Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Make sure you have the text frames linked. -- Ron "CDC" <CDC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0AA472E4-6E12-4A3E-8016-2151E808BA5B@microsoft.com... > How do you insert a page break in a Microsoft Publisher document ? Control > and enter inserts an entire blank page! Help! > ...

whats the keyboard short cut for inserting a row in Excel
whats the keyboard short cut for inserting a row in Excel , deleting a row Hi Ctrl + CTRL - If you select the row header you don't see the dialog -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Subin" <Subin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:954C8F67-6070-48DA-B372-ADE4464108AC@microsoft.com... > whats the keyboard short cut for inserting a row in Excel , deleting a row Select the location for inserting a New Row Press <CTRL> and press +, This would insert a New ROW "Subin" wrote: > whats the keyboard short cut for ...

I have bug in deleting from db, update ,insert works fine
I have a small project in c# and ms-access I use query builder to manage my tables in ms-access. the problem is, select qeury works great, update query works great, delete doesn't work , and there is no error msg!!!!!!1 please help!! OleDbDataAdapter adapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(); string queryString = "SELECT [Id],[Name] FROM [myTable]"; cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + _conStrName + ";User Id=admin;Password=;"; OleDbConnec...

How do I insert a 2 page pdf into Publisher?
I can insert the document easily but the second page will not insert. The original .pdf is a 2 page flyer. Thanks shan wrote: > I can insert the document easily but the second page will not insert. The > original .pdf is a 2 page flyer. Try: http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/convertpdf -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Tab Name Change Error .xls] inserted
I have done something to my workbook and don't know how I did it. Everytime I add a new worksheet or rename an existing worksheet, Excel automatically puts ".xls]" in front of the name on the tab. When I attempt to delete .xls] it says that I have now entered an invalid name. Can anyone tell me what I did and how to fix it? Thank you for your help. Close that workbook and go to windows explorer. Traverse to the folder that holds the file. Rename that file so that it doesn't include any [ or ] characters. (Those characters confuse excel.) Alayna wrote: > > I h...

Insert signature #2
Is there a way to assign a hotkey to insert a signature? Stephen In what version of Outlook? With Word or the basic Outlook editor for = email messages? --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Stephen Green" <sgreen0NO@SPAMcharter.net> wrote in message = news:%23mTPvoihFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to assign a hotkey to insert a signature? >=20 > Stephen=20 >=20 > We're using MS Offi...

Inserting Date/Time of Last Update
Is there a way to insert a date and time in a cell(s) that will only be updated if there is a change to the worksheet. I'm looking to have the date/time of the last update so that it is easy to tell how current the worksheet is. Thanks -- Lionel B. Dyck <>< AIM ID: lbdyck Yahoo IM: lbdyck Homepage http://www.lbdsoftware.com/ Blog: http://randommgmt.blogspot.com/ Lionel You could put some code in a worksheet_Change() event like so (uses A1) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Range("A1").Value = Now() End Sub To implement right click the sheet t...

insert the content of a cell into a header/footer
I want to insert the content (text) of a selected cell in a header/footer of Excel. For example, Cell A1 (on sheet 1) contains a label. How can I get that label to show in a header? You will have to use a macro, if you are familiar with macros and know you need a macro the newsgroup is microsoft.public.excel.programming this is an example of the line of code you will have to work into your macro. Activesheet.PageSetup.CenterFooter=Range ("A1").value See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pathname.htm for more information for sample macro coding and see boxed note ...

Converting numeric data in Spreadsheet to zero
Hi I am working on a excel spreadsheet. It contains text dat and numeric data. what I am looking for is that I need to convert that numeric data into 0. I mean there are cells which contains values like 234, 22, 12 etc and they blank cells in between them. So is there a way by writing a command or Macro to convert that numeric data to 0, ie each field must contain a value 0 .. Thank you very much in advance Deepak -- deepakgoyal ------------------------------------------------------------------------ deepakgoyal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

Insert Row/Column Excel 2007
I'm playing in a new workbook, which has not been saved. On the first 3 worksheets, I'm just playing with simple formulas. I insert a new worksheet. With A1 selected I attempt to insert a new column and get the message: Cannot shift objects off sheet. I get the same message if I try to insert a row. The sheet is new, no entries or objects on it. I open a new workbook and have no problem inserting rows or columns on a blank worksheet. Any ideas? Tyro Tyro Whilst you have loads of new rows and columns in excel 2007. I suspect this workbook is still in 'compatibility mode&...

inserting special character in a cell as a macro
I'm trying to copy 5600 items and I need to use a macro to save some time. I have a column with numbers represented as text. For example 01234 as text. the cell adjacent to it is a city ie. Los Angeles I'm trying to use a macro so the first cell is #01234 - Los Angeles. Can someone help me to figure out this macro. =#01234&" - "&b2 or in b3 =b1&" - "&b2 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "johnnyboy" <u26492@uwe> wrote in message news:66240833078dd@uwe... > I'm trying to copy 5600 items and I need ...

Inserting a hyperlink with "Data Filter" on, in Excel
I'm trying to insert a hyperlink into one of the cells but it's not letting me. When I right click on the cell, the hyperlink option is greyed out and when I use the formula =hyperlink() it only inserts the text. I have a Data/Filter on, is that what's stopping me? I don't think so. I could insert a hyperlink in a filtered range via Insert|Hyperlink and =hyperlink(). Any chance that the worksheet is protected? Any chance that the worksheet is grouped with another worksheet -- look for [Group] in the title bar? Any chance that the workbook is shared -- look for [Shared] in...

A page insertion question
In Publisher 2000 running on XP, is there a way to insert a single page back at the page 20 level in a 50 page single fold catalog thereby moving pages 21-50 up one page level? I realize you need to add pages in increments of 4, but I only want one added at page 20 and the others added at 52-54. Thanks for your help! CB A Pub 2000 user here. Are your pages linked together? In other words, if you start to add text on the top of page 21 will all the text of all the pages move forward? If yes, just add four new pages at the end. Have file open and with the last pages displayed on the mo...

Insert Rows Problem
cell a7:=IF(B7=0,"",MONTH(C7)&DAY(C7)) when i select b7:h7 and 'insert, shift rows down' the fromula changes in a7 to =IF(B8=0,"",MONTH(C8)&DAY(C8)) How con I do this without a change to a7? -- comotoman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ comotoman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27292 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474178 Try this: =IF(OFFSET(A7,0,1)=0,"",MONTH(OFFSET(A7,0,1))&DAY(OFFSET(A7,0,2))) an offset of 0,1...

Any method available to insert pic into comment box??
Any method available to insert picture into comment box? or just wishful hoping? There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Picture C wrote: > Any method available to insert picture into comment box? > or just wishful hoping? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

inserting required number of rows
I have a small problem. I am copying a range of sheets and inserting into a new sheet. I do know the range that i am copying in each of these sheets. Is there a way to specify the number of rows that i need to insert Since i know the range i also know how many rows i am copying so i wan to shift the rows by that amout.Is that possible?? thanks s -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Try this: Highlite the rows you want to copy, Move to the area you want to paste them into, Right mouse click where you want them inserted, Select Insert Copied Cells. The rows will automati...

inserting table data from a Word document into an Access table
The Word 2003/2007 document(some files are in "docx" or Word 2007 and some are in "doc" Word 2003 format) has data as indicated below: ...some text on line 1 which is not needed.. ...some text on line 2 which is not needed.. ...some text on line 3 which is not needed.. Table 1 Row 1 has no columns ....some data which is not needed... Row 2/Column 1 Row 2/Column 2 ...data not needed.. ..data needed.. Row 3/Column 1 Row 3/Column 2 ...not needed.. ..data needed.. Row 4/Column 1 Row 4/Column 2 ...not needed.. ..data needed.. R...

look up and color shading on numeric database?
Have a numeric database with three numerics each cell. I wish to look up values, ex: 123 in any order and color shade cell. Can I? Need more detail. Do any of your numbers have leading zeros? Is this for a lottery? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "ghinzrey" <ghinzrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EED67494-BCC3-46D9-84A6-06F676987669@microsoft.com... > Have a numeric database with three numerics each cell. I wish to look up > values, ex: 123 in any order and color shade cell. Can I? Yes, I do have numbers leading zeros but not shown. If my data...