How do I insert Roman Numerals?

New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
Numerlas in my document?

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

Just type them...
II
III
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX
XI

etc etc.

3
Gordon
1/18/2010 2:20:36 PM
Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro

Dim oRng As Range
Set oRng = Selection.Range
oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False

it will thus display XX1

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

-1
Graham
1/18/2010 3:04:56 PM
"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>
> Dim oRng As Range
> Set oRng = Selection.Range
> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>
> it will thus display XX1

Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Gordon
1/18/2010 3:18:14 PM
Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some of
the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does not use
Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work out the
ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then type that?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>
>> Dim oRng As Range
>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>
>> it will thus display XX1
>

> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Graham
1/18/2010 3:28:54 PM
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?

<sigh> you're right - everyone should have a classical education.... :-(

0
Gordon
1/18/2010 4:11:36 PM
The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
;-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

1
JoAnn
1/18/2010 4:59:59 PM
But writing macros does.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
> ;-)
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Doug
1/18/2010 7:44:21 PM
But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Terry
1/18/2010 10:41:06 PM
If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
:)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Terry Farrell" <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote in message
> But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Graham
1/19/2010 6:55:04 AM
:)

tf

> If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
> :)
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

1
Terry
1/19/2010 9:37:12 AM
Yes, they do.  :-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> But writing macros does.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
>> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
>> ;-)
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and
>>> some of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who
>>> does not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro
>>> to work out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is
>>> MDLXXV then type that?
>>>
>>> --
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>
>>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>

>>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
JoAnn

Pub 2000: insert Unicode by number
I wish to insert a couple of Unicode characters which do not appear i Publisher 2000's symbol list. Is this possible -- Andrew Bryan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Andrew Bryant's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=511 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=126125 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i Andrew Bryant wrote: > I wish to insert a couple of Unicode characters which do not appear in > Publisher 2000's symbol list. Is this possible? Try (with NumLock on) Alt+(Uxxxx), where xxxx is...

In Excel, COLUMN HEADERS ARE NUMERICAL
I don't know what I've done, but my columns are numerical 1, 2, 3, etc not the typical Column A, B, C. Also, my functions all read something like this: R[-1]C+R[24]C[2] How can I get my spreadsheets back to normal? tools>options>general>r1c1 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "dstach11" <dstach11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52764F92-BC69-4193-BA78-65850E8EB8E2@microsoft.com... > I don't know what I've done, but my columns are numerical 1, 2, 3, etc not > the typical Column A, B, C. Also, my functions all...

Insert XML string into XML File: Part 2
Thanks to some good help from a previous post, I have been able to create well formed xml as part of a report logger app. However, I still have a small problem. When I add new xml to the log file, the new nodes are appended to the original file. What I really want is for the log file to grow as "report nodes" are added. Also, I am a bit concerned about performance, particularly as the file grows in size. I must write to an xml file (vs. a database) and am trying to understand the best way to do this. I prefer to not use "temp files" and would like to just modify the ...

Inserting picture into a Publisher 2007 mail merge
I am having trouble adding a picture to a Publisher 2007 mail merge. My data source is an Excel file, and I never had any problem with this merge with Publisher 2003. Now it just shows up in the document as a text box with the path in it instead of the actual photo. Thanks for any suggestions! Be certain when you are using 2007 you select More Items, Product Picture. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Anne" <anne@lutheranpartners.org> wrote in message news:25dbfcd6-3ca6-4487-ba1e-7a849d39b38e@g31g2000yqc.googlegroups.com... >I am having trouble adding a picture to...

insert a JPEG into EXCEL 2002
Hello - I was asked to "pretty up" an Excel invoice for work and need to place a JPEG into the file. I know I can't insert a picture into the header/footer with Excel 2002, but can't I just insert it into the body of the file? In Excel Help it simply says to click on Insert Picture, but for some reason the Insert Picture option is ALWAYS greyed out. Any suggestions? I would REALLY appreciate it! Cheers! Hi mckee You can insert a picture into the header / footer with XL 2002. Go to File>PageSetup. Select the "Headers / Footers" tab and select "Custom ...

How to insert ALT+ENTER (new line) with Replace
Hi All, I am trying to find a way or inserting ALT+ENTER (new line) in certain places in text strings in cells. In MS Word this is done using the replace command (just replace a given character with "^l" - voila). In Excel, I'd also like to replace all "#" characters I have in cells that only have text with the equivalent of "^l" (ALT+ENTER) to create a new line in the cell Can anyone help or point to where I may find help? Thanks a lot, JS Edit>replace, find what # replace with char 10 do as follows, after you have entered the number sign (pound ...

Auto Insert Services Rendered into GP from SQL DB
We have a seperate SQL Server database where timesheets or items of work are captured when performed by someone in our organization. Currently a report is run against the SQL database and then someone manually enters in the transaction into GP. We want to automate this. Is there some program that mimics the manual entry whereby I can export the data from the SQL DB? ...

Insert trigger not appearing to work for bulk insert with FIRE-TRIGGERS
I have an insert trigger that works just fine when I insert one row When I perfrom a bulk insert, the trigger only seems to work on the last row in the input file. What should the trigger be doing to process each row of the inserted data? Cheers Bob What's your trigger code look like? -- Thanks Michael Coles SQL Server MVP Author, "Expert SQL Server 2008 Encryption" (http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430224649) ---------------- "thing" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:O4c4cSGeKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I ha...

Excel macro to insert rows if a cell does not equal the value above that cell
I have a spreadsheet listing columns of information for many different people. If more than one row exists for the same person, I'd like to insert 2 rows after the row so that the group is separated from the next group. For example, here's how the data appears now: LastName Account# Balance Martin 1 500.00 Martin 2 750.00 Smith 5 100.00 Thomas 9 900.00 Here's what I'd like it to look like after running the macro: LastName Account# Balance Martin 1 500.00 Martin 2 75...

The Insert Hyperlink button is grayed
For just one user in our office - seems she's got the same settings as I do, but she can't use the Insert Hyperlink option. She's using Word as her email editor, and using HTML format. We've checked the AutoCorrect options in Word and all are the same as mine. Any ideas? ...

Making page fit inserted picture
I inserted a jpeg picture and resized it to be 4"by 6". How do I make the Publisher page equal to the picture (i.e. no white space around the picture, so that the page is the same size as the picture) Setup your page 4 x 6. You need to create a custom size in your printer 4 x 6. If you do not create a custom printer size then Publisher will print multiple copies per page. It would help to know what version Publisher you are using. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Jeancho" <Jeancho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A67D046-AE87-4D99-9B9C...

Easiest way to insert multiple copied rows?

Insert rows in Excel Ledger problem
I am using a ledger for simple accounts, Date, Name, Service, Amount and Total. The far right column keeps a running total. I have however omitted some data and am trying to add rows in various places in date order. I can insert the rows no problem, however, the final right hand cell remains blank and will not update the total. I have tried the format painter which works for all cells but the last, the format bar is greyed out along with anything else I thought I could use to solve the problem. I have tried adding the data on the last row and dragging it up to where I want it but as ...

automatically insert system time in a cell
I have a s/sheet that needs to automatically have the system time inserted in a cell if the previous cell is blank. I have tried several things and have not had any joy. Any help offered would be welcome. You can use the select_change event on your sheet capture when a differenet cell has been selected. Keeping track of prior cell entries can be tracked with a phantom sheet to store prior values, if the prior value was null, then you can send the following command activecell.value = now http://ForPicks.com "PM" wrote: > I have a s/sheet that needs to automatically have...

picture 34 was inserted by excel?
In my excel worksheet, excel automatically insterted a check mark obscured by an empty box (the type you might put a check mark in), in the corner of a cell. In another cell, it inserted "picture 39" which was a box with the check mark fully visible. What are these? I assumed they were part of the error checking, but I cannot find them, or how to turn them off, or what they mean! Thanks for any help! sounds as though there is a macro somwhere in the system. right click on the tabs and click on view code "sophy2" wrote: > In my excel worksheet, excel automaticall...

Problems inserting into attached MDF from MFC
Using Visual Studio 2008, MFC, C++, I am doing the following: CDatabase db; db.OpenEx(_T("Driver=SQL Server; Server=SUEDE\\SQLEXPRESS; Integrated Security=true; AttachDbFilename=C:\\Temp\\DesignList.mdf;"), CDatabase::noOdbcDialog); CDesignData rs(&db); rs.Open(); BOOL bUpdatable = rs.CanUpdate(); BOOL bAppendable = rs.CanAppend(); rs.AddNew(); rs.m_nDesignId = 5; rs.m_sDesignName = _T("Hello"); rs.Update(); However, during the call to CRecordset::Open(), the record set is going into read-only mode. The following is output in the debugger win...

Insert time into a cell with seconds?
I am trying to insert a "timestamp" into a cell using ctrl+shift+;an want hh:mm:ss format. If I format the cell in hh:mm:ss the seconds always is 00. It appear that when I ctrl+shift+; excel truncates the system time to hh:mm. I there a way around this or another way to get the seconds into a "insert time" command ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this simple macro. Assign it to keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+Shift+T and it should do wh...

Calculation does not consider newly inserted data #2
Hi, following problem: User A opens an existing Spreadsheet (which is being used since �) and replaces a figure by a new one , the inserted data appears, however the sum is not calculated. Even F9 does not help. User A saves and closes Spreadsheet. User B opens the same Spreadsheet and now the sum is calculated correctly although User B has not done anything to the Spreadsheet but open it. User B closes the Spreadsheet again. Now User A opens the Spreadsheet once again and sometimes it works and sometimes not. It seems, that it is no problem of automatic or manual calculation, this has bee...

How come when I try to insert a chart in Excel, nothing happens?
Hi. In Excel 2007, I am unable to insert a chart. I select a range of cells, go to the insert tab, select Column in the charts group and "clustered column" (or any different type of graph such as a line graph), hit click and nothing happens. To test this issue, I tried to download a chart template from Microsoft, but I received an error message instead "Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close". The error report contents stated the following: AppName: Excel.exe AppVer: 12.0.6524.5003 AppStamp: 464fba46 ModName: oart.dll ModVer: 12...

Inserting PDFs
Is there any way at all to insert a PDF file into a Publisher 2003 document (in Windows 98)??? The most intuitive way to me would be Insert, Picture and then choose your PDF file, but it always asks what kind of file I want to convert it FROM and pdf isn't an option. I found a MS webpage that lists all types of graphic files that Pub. can accept and PDF is not one of them. Why the heck not???? I do a newsletter for a club and the most common way that people want to send me ads is PDF files. I know someone who I think has an older Pub. version and she says PDFs insert no prob...

How to insert excel doc into publisher doc
HELP! I have tried everything I know to enter an Excel doc into a Publisher file and it just doesn't work. PLEASE HELP! There muct be a way... Thanks! Kristal How about opening the Excel document and copy and paste the data into your Pub doc? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "KristalWick" <KristalWick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04A735EB-6047-45DB-BE1C-06F6D8964C14@microsoft.com... > HELP! > I have tried everything I know to enter an Excel doc into a Publisher file > and it just doesn't work. PLEASE HELP! There muct be a...

Is it possible to do a random sample of non-numeric data in Excel?
Is it possible to do a random sample of non-numeric data in Excel? If so, what do I do? What kind of data do you require? Example? -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Terri G" <Terri G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BD07CAF-551A-4976-84B8-76C9CBB3BCBF@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to do a random sample of non-numeric data in Excel? If so, > what do I do? yes: Lets say you have a very long list of animals in column A: cat dog fish .... and you want to select 10 items in this list at random. Then in B1 enter =rand() and copy down. Sort bot...

A Newbie question. Input value and have return inserted in Word
I have a listing of numbers with names/addresses in Excel and would like to be able to enter a number and have the corresponding info returned into a Word merge file. Is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Cannot get autotext to insert field information
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Hello, <br> I cannot get the autotext to insert page numbers, filename and path etc properly. The template inserts but does not update with the appropriate properties. i.e. insert {filename and path} remains as such. Is there something I need to do to get the information to fill the autotext field?? It sounds like you've accidentally toggled display of field codes. Try Option+F9 to toggle them off. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 2/14/10 11:59 PM, in article 59bb2d7b.-1@webcross...