Displaying colour codes in Word 2007

I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest.  There
seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of
people MAD.

When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word 2007,
the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version. Apparantly,
this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of people who've
never seen a computer.

If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document or
an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it is
far from obvious that the codes displayed initially under More (or custom)
Colours are those corresponding to one of the M$ fixed colours (I'm
translating from the .fr version). Since there is plenty of space in the
standard colour selection box, why can't we see the codes directly? People
who don't need the information would probably not notice it's there.

Regards

0
OldHand

From the colour selector dialog select 'more colours'. The currently
coloured item is displayed along with its RGB numbers.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest.  There
>seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of
>people MAD.
>
> When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word
> 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version.
> Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of
> people who've never seen a computer.
>
> If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document
> or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it
> is far from obvious that the codes displayed initially under More (or
> custom) Colours are those corresponding to one of the M$ fixed colours
> (I'm translating from the .fr version). Since there is plenty of space in
> the standard colour selection box, why can't we see the codes directly?
> People who don't need the information would probably not notice it's
> there.
>
> Regards

0
Graham
2/16/2010 9:26:04 AM

"OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
> I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest.  There
> seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of
> people MAD.
>
> When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word
> 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version.
> Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of
> people who've never seen a computer.
>
> If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document
> or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it
> is far from obvious that the codes displayed initially under More (or
> custom) Colours are those corresponding to one of the M$ fixed colours
> (I'm translating from the .fr version). Since there is plenty of space in
> the standard colour selection box, why can't we see the codes directly?
> People who don't need the information would probably not notice it's
> there.
>
> Regards

I have never used a MS product to determine the color code of an area of a
picture or field.  I use Pixie from http://www.nattyware.com/?m31.  It is a
small free program the instantly can tell you the RGB, HTML, CMYK or HSV
codes.

0
LVTravel
2/16/2010 11:09:45 AM
That's basically what I said. You're expected to know that it's the current
colour that's displayed. You don't, and you're not informed. Are we expected
to memorise the manual?

Of course, my main point was that the designers of the present generation of
M$ products appear to have been instructed to find ways of maximising the
number of mouse clics required to perform the most elementary functions.

I consider that Oo and derivatives are too much lookalikes of M$ products,
and hope their designers don't feel they have to copy all the mad bits.

Regards

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> a �crit dans le message de
> From the colour selector dialog select 'more colours'. The currently
> coloured item is displayed along with its RGB numbers.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>>I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest.  There
>>seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of
>>people MAD.
>>
>> When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word
>> 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version.
>> Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of
>> people who've never seen a computer.
>>
>> If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document
>> or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it
>> is far from obvious that the codes displayed initially under More (or
>> custom) Colours are those corresponding to one of the M$ fixed colours
>> (I'm translating from the .fr version). Since there is plenty of space in
>> the standard colour selection box, why can't we see the codes directly?
>> People who don't need the information would probably not notice it's
>> there.
>>
>> Regards

0
OldHand
2/17/2010 8:38:29 PM
I don't see how it could be anything different. The dialog shows the colour
index of the selected item.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> That's basically what I said. You're expected to know that it's the
> current colour that's displayed. You don't, and you're not informed. Are
> we expected to memorise the manual?
>
> Of course, my main point was that the designers of the present generation
> of M$ products appear to have been instructed to find ways of maximising
> the number of mouse clics required to perform the most elementary
> functions.
>
> I consider that Oo and derivatives are too much lookalikes of M$ products,
> and hope their designers don't feel they have to copy all the mad bits.
>
> Regards
>

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> a �crit dans le message de
>> From the colour selector dialog select 'more colours'. The currently
>> coloured item is displayed along with its RGB numbers.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>>>I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest.  There
>>>seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of
>>>people MAD.
>>>
>>> When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word
>>> 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version.
>>> Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of
>>> people who've never seen a computer.
>>>
>>> If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document
>>> or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then
>>> it is far from obvious that the codes displayed initially under More (or
>>> custom) Colours are those corresponding to one of the M$ fixed colours
>>> (I'm translating from the .fr version). Since there is plenty of space
>>> in the standard colour selection box, why can't we see the codes
>>> directly? People who don't need the information would probably not
>>> notice it's there.
>>>
>>> Regards

0
Graham
2/18/2010 6:38:31 AM
The point is that you should not have to go into the dialogue; this product
in its present form has regressed. It requires you to make far too many
mouse clicks for efficient or comfortable working (and many users have to
work intensively for many hours a day).

The obvious solution is to put the colour index in the hover text (for new
users, that's the hopefully useful information that should be displayed when
you place your cursor over an item. It's very easy to program that sort of
thing).

>I don't see how it could be anything different. The dialog shows the colour
>index of the selected item.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>> That's basically what I said. You're expected to know that it's the
>> current colour that's displayed. You don't, and you're not informed. Are
>> we expected to memorise the manual?
>>
>> Of course, my main point was that the designers of the present generation
>> of M$ products appear to have been instructed to find ways of maximising
>> the number of mouse clics required to perform the most elementary
>> functions.
>>
>> I consider that Oo and derivatives are too much lookalikes of M$
>> products, and hope their designers don't feel they have to copy all the
>> mad bits.
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> a �crit dans le message de
>>> From the colour selector dialog select 'more colours'. The currently
>>> coloured item is displayed along with its RGB numbers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>
>>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>

>>> "OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message

0
OldHand
2/18/2010 10:14:43 AM
Instead of fighting the software to make it do what you want, work with it.
If you need coloured fonts etc set them up as character or paragraph styles
and assign them to keyboard shortcuts. You don't need to use the mouse at
all.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> The point is that you should not have to go into the dialogue; this
> product in its present form has regressed. It requires you to make far too
> many mouse clicks for efficient or comfortable working (and many users
> have to work intensively for many hours a day).
>
> The obvious solution is to put the colour index in the hover text (for new
> users, that's the hopefully useful information that should be displayed
> when you place your cursor over an item. It's very easy to program that
> sort of thing).
>
> Regards
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> a �crit dans le message de
>>I don't see how it could be anything different. The dialog shows the
>>colour index of the selected item.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "OldHand" <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
>>> That's basically what I said. You're expected to know that it's the
>>> current colour that's displayed. You don't, and you're not informed. Are
>>> we expected to memorise the manual?
>>>
>>> Of course, my main point was that the designers of the present
>>> generation of M$ products appear to have been instructed to find ways of
>>> maximising the number of mouse clics required to perform the most
>>> elementary functions.
>>>
>>> I consider that Oo and derivatives are too much lookalikes of M$
>>> products, and hope their designers don't feel they have to copy all the
>>> mad bits.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>

>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> a �crit dans le message de

0
Graham

The way numbers are displayed
I have a price sheet that displays prices like this 6.26248371689101 need to change them to display $6.26 have tried currency, accounting, everything. Please help Thanks for any help! It looks like your "numbers" are in fact text. With the "number" in A1, put this formula in another cell: =VALUE(A1) You can format that cell the way you like -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Pnw" <Pnw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88FBFADE-4DE6-4974-9B15-72116946BC95@microsoft.com... |I have a price sheet that displays prices li...

Coloured Tabs
In Excel 7 is it possible to have coloured tabs ? Thanks - Phil. Hi Phil As long as the chosen color is grey... No, sorrry, colored Excel tabs came with XP. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please "Phil Amey" <philamey@btinternet.com> skrev i melding news:3F607182.6CE8EAA7@btinternet.com... > In Excel 7 is it possible to have coloured tabs ? > > Thanks - Phil. > ...

How to use access 2007 external database paths
I have a database that several computers access. I have a query that is a union something like this: SELECT main.*,"list1" as owner FROM C:\path\test1.mdb.main where main.listname<>"condition" UNION Select main.*, "list2" as owner From C:\paths\test2.accdb.main Now this works fine from the hosting computer, but from another computer it doesn't. I am now using the shared drive name\path in a second query and advising users to use the correct query. this seems like a hack. Is there a way of making it so I can use just one query so all u...

Microsoft Office 2007 Update Failures
I have now accumulated 5 updates which repeatedly fail. They are: KB983486 - Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter --------- - Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) KB967642 - Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System KB951944 - Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System KB951550 - Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 OS (Windows 7) other updates seem to install correctly, as do updates for any drivers. Have tried both auto and manual update installs .... have tried one at a time and all at once ... Nothing seems to correct the situation. Any ideas...

WORD 2007 Template with VBA
Hi Folks, I have a template that I use to capture input from users who are requesting a scan. That template worked fine under 2003 and I was able to get it to run in 2007. However, when I tried to recreate the functionality starting from scratch in WORD 2007 I had problems. I have some VBA code that I use to interrogate an ancillary file which contains a number. I increment that number by one and place it into the Word document. Then I used content controls to prompt the user for information. When I "Open" the .dotm file all of the content controls and legacy c...

what is the path for signature file in Outlook 2007
Hello, Can someone tell me which folder has the signature file in Outlook 2007. i am using windows vista business and outlook 2007 -- 10/31/2009 8:05:02 AM !****************************************! ! Custom Text Line #1a ! ! Custom Text Line #1b ! ! 1 year 6 months 20 days until The ! ! Rapture Of The Believers ! !****************************************! ! "I think there is a world market for ! ! maybe five computers." Thomas Watson, ! ! chairman of IBM, 1943 ! !****************************************...

outlook 2003 with word xp (2002)
i just installed outlook 2003 and i want to use word xp (2002) as my email editor. the check box is grayed out though and it only says "use word 2003 as your email editor" any suggestions? thanks shri Outlook and Word versions must match -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "shri" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:f36a01c3bda7$4a5c31d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > i just installed outlook 2003 and i want to use...

2007- unwanted column chart n/a labels displaying
I am using Excel 2007 and have found that I cannot get the NA() labels to NOT display. As desired, there is no column where the cell values are na() but the labels for those cells are displaying as "N/A". How do I keep these labels from appearing? Interesting. I made a Line chart with =NA() and the points were joined (as expected) When I added labels, the #N/A did NOT appear A copy of the same charge was changed to a Column chart and the #N/A does appears But then, with a column chart you could just leave the cell blank. What type of chart are you using? best wishes -- Bernard...

synchronising Outlook 2007 contacts with backed up version
Hi all, I use Win XP Pro with a Nokia 'smartphone'. In early December, Nokia invited me to download and install a new synchronisation package that truncated some of the entries in my Outlook 2007 including the longer Notes fields in my Contacts; I don't know what else I lost, but some 200 entries were affected. I had mirrored my HDD prior to this, and would like to use this archive to recover the lost data. When the Outlook field on my computer incorporates newer information than the mirrored version, I would like this incorporated. As Nokia has not replied...

Calculator
(For a WinXP machine in fact and yes i can search for one myself) But just in case one of you know a good one to suggest for a person with poor eye-sight. Needed; a simple Calculator program with large or adjustable display & keys. No need for it to include advanced science options. -- Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion. Please followup in the newsgroup. E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control. Try Moffsoft 'FreeCalc' at :- http://www.moffsoft.com/ Just stretch the window and the keys etc. expand with it. On...

Looking for an eval version of Outlook 2007
I'd like to give Outlook a try. Is there an eval version that doesn't apparently require installing the full Office 2007 suite? Can Outlook be installed selectively after download? How complete is the online trial version of O2007? -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail Al Dykes wrote: > I'd like to give Outlook a try. Is there an eval version that doesn't > apparently require installing the full Office 2007 suite? > > Can Outlook be installed...

Word hangs when I try to insert accented character
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel have recently installed Office 2004 on a new macbook pro running 0S 10.5.3. it's been working fine but today i've been working on a word document and when i tried to insert a foreign character (an � - e with an accent) it just hangs and i have to force quit. is this a compatibility problem, or is there any way to work around it ? thanks <webstar@officeformac.com> wrote: Hi, > have recently installed Office 2004 on a new macbook pro running 0S > 10.5.3. > > it's been working fi...

How do I put a reference number in the margin in Word
I'm writing a report and need to put a note in the margin of some paragraphs with a reference number such as D1 in it. I could add it as a comment, but that is not how it should look, unless there is a way of just having the comment in the margin without the bubble and the line to the text. Any suggestions please? Dave See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Bally67" <Bally67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E718AA4A-3303-48BE-9F65-FE6E5A0F5E45@microsoft.com... > I'm wr...

code ALC<402c> in amount box
The above code appears in the service charge and interest earned boxes in the balance area of money 3.0. I deleted one and entered the amount of interest earned in the other. I proceeded to balance account, had to postpone and now the ALC<402c> appeared greyed. I can't access it to change it and cannot proceed with balancing because it tells me there is an invalid amount. I googled this and found an identical problem from a fellow in 2000 but am unable to contact him. This is an old program copied to my new computer. Can anyone help me with getting rid of this greyed a...

Table of Contents
I could use some help adding a table of contents to my word document from PowerShell. What is some basic code for adding and formatting a table of contents to a word document from PS? Thanks in advance. Stacy Good question... What version of Word? 2007? You may be better off doing it in raw XML. I'm not sure there's TOC functionality in VBA, but you could check and prove me wrong... ;-) Marco "sthein5" <sthein5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBA98F5F-7F09-4E98-91B4-E01EFDDA0EC6@microsoft.com... > I could use some help a...

Outlook 2007, how to stop accidental replies from a certain folder?
I have my college's email account auto-forwarded (they don't offer pop3 or imap) to my main gmail account so I don't have to go to their website to check for mail. That gmail account, and others, use pop3 down to my Outlook 2007. In my Outlook, I have a rule that puts mail sent to my @college address into a folder named Collegemail. Since the college email system lacks pop3 or imap, I have to go to their site to send a reply, so that the reply will be sent from my @college email address. The problem is that since I don't get very many emails to that address, I canno...

How to you change the axis label position in office 2007?
In earlier versions of excel you could easily change say the y-axis label position to either the right or left side of the graph. How is this accomplished in office 2007 on Windows Vista? I have a plot with both positive and negative xvalues and the labels are mixed in with the plot, it looks horrible. Sorry, I just figured it out, thanks. "saxerfone" wrote: > In earlier versions of excel you could easily change say the y-axis label > position to either the right or left side of the graph. How is this > accomplished in office 2007 on Windows Vista? I have a plot...

2007 Deluxe
Purchased shares of a stock in the morning and then sold them in the afternoon for a tidy profit. That evening I downloaded the transactions from my broker. Money processed the sell transaction first. Because there was not any shares presently in the protfolio, money added the shares and the sell transaction. Next it processed the buy transaction. (you have no control over how the transactions are processed) If you then review the protfolio manager you will show the stock still having the number of shares purchased. 1) the original shares from the purchase 2) the shares added by ...

Charts created in Excel 2003 are not showing up in excel 2007
I have several charts that are displayed as their on worksheets in excel 03 but don't show up in excel 07 how can i fix it so that these charts will display? "RLang07" wrote: > I have several charts that are displayed as their on worksheets in excel 03 > but don't show up in excel 07 how can i fix it so that these charts will > display? I had this exact problem when I upgraded from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007 on my Vista (Home Premium) system. I couldn't work out what the problem was and had given up trying to solve it... However, I somehow managed to fix...

Change default to Excel 2000 when 2007 installed
Hi, I ahve both Excel 200 and 2007 installed on my PC and whilst I'm learning 2007, I want Excel 2000 to be my default program when opening Excel .XLS files. Is there a way to do this please? Thanks, Rob Since 2007 has decided it wants to be the default, de-register 2007 and re-register 2000 Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar Start>Run "C:\yourpathto2007\excel.exe" /unregserver See the space between exe and /unregserver. Then register 2000 Start>Run "C:\yourpathto2000\excel.exe" /regserver This process should make...

Changing Componet Background Colours
Hello, I was wondering how I could go about changing the background colours for the various Visual C++ controls such as the listboxes,edit boxes, etc. I am using Visual C++ .NET 2003 and this is a MFC application. Thanks in advance. Sincerely, James Simpson Straightway Technologies http://www.straightwaytech.com Typically you will need to do this in OnCtlColor, but thats not entirely true. Some controls require that you owner draw them. Views on other hand, will force you to use OnEraseBkgnd. Fortunately, codeguru/codeproject has samples of all these controls and is your best bet for MF...

Portfolio Manager displays cost with the wrong totals
I have Money 2006 and I set up my investments in portfolio manager. The cost totals for my investments do not add correctly. I don't have a massive portfolio so we are only talking about 2-3 mutual funds with a broker. Initial purchases and subsequent purchases were fine. Everything totaled and cross footed. But, that all changed when I partially sold them to pay my son's college tuition. Ex: Mutual fund Cost Market Value Fund ABC $500 $625 Fund 123 $1000 $1250 Total $1750 ...

Equations in Word 2008 convert to pictures
I have not seen any recent activity on this topic, and I tried to post at Mactopia. Apparently that is not the best way to join the discussion. What is the status of the problem with equations from Equation Editor or MathType? My dissertation is full of equations, and every time I open up to edit, some random fraction of the equations have turned to pictures, become fuzzy, and can't be edited. This would only be irritating if that were the only issue, but if I save with equations that have been turned into pictures, then inevitable the next time I open the document some of them ar...

Copy and Paste crashing Outlook 2003 with Word Email Editor
When I copy and paste from IE 6 into a new email message with Word enabled as the email editor, the new message crashes. Anyone seen this? ...

Excel 2007 CF Multiple criteria
I've always thought CF was one of the more understandable tools used in Excel. Until now. Using Excel 2007. Trying to hilight a cell if it's contents are the same as another cell (Lets say A1 same as B1.). Also want to ignore the CF rule if either cell is blank. It's driving me bonkers. Ideas? TIA. Pierre Select A1:B1 Home tab/conditional formatting / highlight rules /duplicates works a treat best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Pierre" <cowguy@aol.com> wrote in message news:96eb3105-8017-4e7f-817...