Creating Chapters for Book (Word 2007)

I want to create a book using Word 2007 that mets the following criteria:

1.  Each new hard page creates a caption, preformed and ready to be included
in a table of contents.

2.  I want to have subchapters which I can insert wherever I want them.

3.  All of this has to be preformatted for a table of contents.

How is this done?

0
LA

Use the Heading 1 style for your captions. Add "Page break before" to the
Heading 1 style (and modify the font and paragraph formatting as desired).
Instead of inserting a manual page break, apply the Heading 1 style to the
next paragraph; you'll get a new page and a heading that will automatically
appear in a TOC.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"LA Lawyer" <hkapp@kapplaw.com> wrote in message
>I want to create a book using Word 2007 that mets the following criteria:
>
> 1.  Each new hard page creates a caption, preformed and ready to be
> included in a table of contents.
>
> 2.  I want to have subchapters which I can insert wherever I want them.
>
> 3.  All of this has to be preformatted for a table of contents.
>
> How is this done?

0
Suzanne
2/10/2010 12:06:51 AM
Thank you.  Now for the second newbie question:

How do I add "Page break before" in Word 2007 styles?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Use the Heading 1 style for your captions. Add "Page break before" to the
> Heading 1 style (and modify the font and paragraph formatting as desired).
> Instead of inserting a manual page break, apply the Heading 1 style to the
> next paragraph; you'll get a new page and a heading that will
> automatically appear in a TOC.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "LA Lawyer" <hkapp@kapplaw.com> wrote in message
>>I want to create a book using Word 2007 that mets the following criteria:
>>
>> 1.  Each new hard page creates a caption, preformed and ready to be
>> included in a table of contents.
>>
>> 2.  I want to have subchapters which I can insert wherever I want them.
>>
>> 3.  All of this has to be preformatted for a table of contents.
>>
>> How is this done?

0
LA
2/10/2010 12:29:57 AM
Same way as in any other version: on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the
Paragraph dialog. The easiest way to modify the style is this:

1. Apply the Heading 1 style to a paragraph.

2. Right-click and choose Paragraph.

3. On the Line and Page Breaks tab, check the box for "Page break before"
and click OK.

4. In your document, with the insertion point in your Heading 1 paragraph,
display the Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S or click the dialog launcher in the
bottom right corner of the Styles group on the Home tab).

5. Heading 1 should be selected in the Styles pane. Hover over it till you
see a down arrow and click it.

6. On the menu, click "Update Heading 1 to match selection."

Assuming you do this in your template, your style will be modified for the
template and all new documents based on it.

--

> Thank you.  Now for the second newbie question:
>
> How do I add "Page break before" in Word 2007 styles?
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Use the Heading 1 style for your captions. Add "Page break before" to the
>> Heading 1 style (and modify the font and paragraph formatting as
>> desired). Instead of inserting a manual page break, apply the Heading 1
>> style to the next paragraph; you'll get a new page and a heading that
>> will automatically appear in a TOC.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "LA Lawyer" <hkapp@kapplaw.com> wrote in message
>>>I want to create a book using Word 2007 that mets the following criteria:
>>>
>>> 1.  Each new hard page creates a caption, preformed and ready to be
>>> included in a table of contents.
>>>
>>> 2.  I want to have subchapters which I can insert wherever I want them.
>>>
>>> 3.  All of this has to be preformatted for a table of contents.
>>>
>>> How is this done?

0
Suzanne

How do I create a sample in Excel?

punblisher and word prcoessing software
can publisher be used as word processing sofware? Not very successfully, it's a desktop publishing program. If you don't have the $, download and install OpenOffice. OpenOffice Writer is an excellent word processor — very similar to MS Word. "shelagh" <shelagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:834CE68F-4492-466A-91DC-694F807C578C@microsoft.com... > can publisher be used as word processing sofware? It *could* but it's not the best tool for that job. Specifically what do you want to do? -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask...

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

Office 2007 forms

Outlook 2007 addresses
How can I find the list of addresses I have sent emails to? When you start a new email you can put a letter in the To line and list will come up. Where is that list? How can I print it out? Thanks Matt that is the autocomplete cache. You would need a utility to print it out. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040621.htm http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Out...

Outlook 2007 Install gone wrong

Reference Book
I'm a Win32 programmer, and I'm trying to get into some MFC. I've read a little about MFC, but the books lack a lot of quality and descriptive text about the structure of MFC. Can I ask whose book is the Charles Petzold of MFC? Thank you I haven't seen a bad MFC book in a long time, but then again, I haven't bought a new MFC book in many years. My presonal perference are the MFC books published by Wrox Press http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=1861000855&itm=31 You can't go wrong with the Microsoft Press ones either. Al...

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Word 2004 and kyocera printer issue
Hi, I am running a fully patched MAC OSX.4 machine with Office 2004 fully patched. I have installed the latest Kyocera OS X English 10.2 drivers from the kyocera website, for KM7530 model. The driver installs a job accounting feature in the printing presets for that particular printer. The function will work fine for every program other than word, word will not allow you the option to enter a pin code. all the features seem to be greyed out. If i reinstall and go immediately to anotherr program such as Eudora or Firefox or even Excel I can enter and lock the pin number in and it will print...

Numbering in Book Files
I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I then use to create the new chapters. However, I am finding that when I go into a new chapter that the outline numbering does not pick up on the chapter (Heading 1) number. For example: Chapter 1: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. But when I start my next chapter, when I update the chapter number to start at 2, I get this: Chapter 2: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. ...

Migrating Exchange servers
We are in the process of migrating to a new exchange server. The issue we are having is transfering the user's outlook (xp, 2k) address book/contact list to the new server without manually having to log into everyone's computer and pointing their address books to the new server. Is there a way to do this authomatically server-side? You're moving the mailboxes, right? The user's "address book" is the Contacts folder in the mailbox. So, there's nothing extra to move. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for ...

Can't create the item #2

Share Calender in Outlook 2007
In our organization, we have changed the the default data file path. This makes the "Share a Calender" option disappear. First of all, is there any anything to work around this? Secondly, if there is nothing that can be done in the above case, I tried sharing the calender by publishing it in Office Online. Apparently the calender is shared but when I sent it to my colleague's work e-mail address, he is unable to access it. It asks for authentication and cannot contact the web server when he enters his credentials. How to make this work? I don't want to go sharing my W...

Excel 2007 Line Chart
Hello, Is it possible to configure a line chart in Excel 2007 to ignore the intervals and graph straight to the next value. For example if I have the periods: Jan with the value 1000 Feb with the value 900 March with the value 500 April with the value 0 May with the value 0 June with the value 0 I want the March value to drop directly from 500 to 0 ignoring the interval to April, I do not want a curved line it must drop directly to zero then the line is straight across to April. I have no idea if this is possible, any ideas? Thanks, Brett On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:40:45 -0700 (PDT), TyreDu...