controlling fields on a form

I am using Word 2003 to make a form and put in some fields.  There are a
couple of things I am unable to do, however.

When data is input into the field by the user, text below the field is
pushed down.  How do I control the field so it does not affect surrounding
text?  I would like to set the field at a maximum length (I can do this) and
not have the other text on the form get moved.

Finally, the fields I insert are of a fixed length, about 1 inch.  I double
click on the field and can set the maximum length, but the default size of
the field remains at about 1 inch.  Can I get the grayed field area to
display at its full size so the user can see how much room he has for his
response?

Thanks

0
Stephen

The usual plan is to put the field in a borderless table cell of fixed
dimensions so that it cannot expand to move the text around it.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Stephen Larivee" <lariveesl@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
>I am using Word 2003 to make a form and put in some fields.  There are a
>couple of things I am unable to do, however.
>
> When data is input into the field by the user, text below the field is
> pushed down.  How do I control the field so it does not affect surrounding
> text?  I would like to set the field at a maximum length (I can do this)
> and not have the other text on the form get moved.
>
> Finally, the fields I insert are of a fixed length, about 1 inch.  I
> double click on the field and can set the maximum length, but the default
> size of the field remains at about 1 inch.  Can I get the grayed field
> area to display at its full size so the user can see how much room he has
> for his response?
>
> Thanks

0
Graham
5/13/2010 3:09:31 PM
Thank you.  I will give it a try.

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@mvps.org> wrote in message
> The usual plan is to put the field in a borderless table cell of fixed
> dimensions so that it cannot expand to move the text around it.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Stephen Larivee" <lariveesl@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Word 2003 to make a form and put in some fields.  There are a
>>couple of things I am unable to do, however.
>>
>> When data is input into the field by the user, text below the field is
>> pushed down.  How do I control the field so it does not affect
>> surrounding text?  I would like to set the field at a maximum length (I
>> can do this) and not have the other text on the form get moved.
>>
>> Finally, the fields I insert are of a fixed length, about 1 inch.  I
>> double click on the field and can set the maximum length, but the default
>> size of the field remains at about 1 inch.  Can I get the grayed field
>> area to display at its full size so the user can see how much room he has
>> for his response?
>>
>> Thanks

0
Stephen
5/13/2010 3:30:09 PM
Note that if you right-click the Text Form Field, you can define a character
entry limit. So once you 'assign a maximum physical size for a FF, type in
number 8s until it is full and that is the maximum number of characters to
allow.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

> Thank you.  I will give it a try.
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> The usual plan is to put the field in a borderless table cell of fixed
>> dimensions so that it cannot expand to move the text around it.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Stephen Larivee" <lariveesl@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>>I am using Word 2003 to make a form and put in some fields.  There are a
>>>couple of things I am unable to do, however.
>>>
>>> When data is input into the field by the user, text below the field is
>>> pushed down.  How do I control the field so it does not affect
>>> surrounding text?  I would like to set the field at a maximum length (I
>>> can do this) and not have the other text on the form get moved.
>>>
>>> Finally, the fields I insert are of a fixed length, about 1 inch.  I
>>> double click on the field and can set the maximum length, but the
>>> default size of the field remains at about 1 inch.  Can I get the grayed
>>> field area to display at its full size so the user can see how much room
>>> he has for his response?
>>>
>>> Thanks

0
Terry

Additional lookup for contacts on opportunity form
Hi, I try to customise CRM 3.0 without any training - therefore a question for which I need some help. On the opportunity form exists a look-up (potentional customer) for contacts/accounts. I'd like to add an aditional one to the form (to replace the decision maker). I tryed to create a new field on the opportunity entity but there's no field-type "look-up". It's also not possible to create a new relationship to the contact entity (both system entity's). Does anybody of you know how I can do this? (if yes - please explain it more detailed...). Thanks Joerg Look...

Forms 07-27-07
Hi, A VB Code is used that has the following line: Me.Visible = False (Me refers to the forms names frmBirthsearch) After this line a second form (form2) is opned based on a query that reads two dates from the frmBirthsearch using the line code: DoCmd.OpenForm "frmBirthdates", acViewNormal at this point frmbearthsearh is hidden. What command shold I add after this in order to close the frmbirthsearch? ...

Report Writer Text Spacing Problems While Modifying a PO form
Due to Report Writer static text field size limitations, I am forced to try to use two adjacent text fields to complete a sentence. I am having an inordinate amout of problems trying to get words to align in sentences with the correct amount of character spacing between words that span the text field boundaries. And, the process of toggling between Report Writer and Dyamics to get the Purchase Order form to reprint is time consuming. What am I missing (besides patience)? -- Jay Jay, 1) Setup a calculated field for your static text. Set the result type to String, and use the Constant...

Query fields
Is it possible to write a criteria where the value of an empty field is "0.00"? Background: I have three queries with different customer account groups. Not every salesperson has customer accounts in every accountgroup - so, he will not shown up in that query. But he has accounts included in another query. Now, I would like to get a sum of commission earned by each salesman calculated from all three queries together. Since the salesman has no record in one query the total sum of that specific salesman is not shown. Any idea how to solve that problem? Thanks Klaus On Wed, 29 A...

Changing Text Box Size and Location on a form, at run time with Access Xp
Hello All, Is it possible to change the size of the text box (or any other control) on a form at run time, by Drag and drop or resizing borders using the mouse events. (Just like the design mode but the user will use it at run time on form view). Thanks in advance... You should be able to resize in your code if necessary. Me.control.Visible = True Me.control.Height = 1000 Me.control.Width = 1000 Don't forget to set them back when you are done. "Developer" wrote: > Hello All, > Is it possible to change the size of the text box (or any other control) on > a ...

Change of field separator
When I open CSV files in Excel all data is put in one column. Can anyone tell me, where I change my set up, so I get another field separator? Please be specific, because my Excel is a Danish version, and sometimes I have a hard time following the English instructions. Thanks! Jane Hi you specify this in the Windows regional settings. Another idea: - rename your *.csv file to a *.txt file - now open it with excel. The Import wizard should appear and should allow you to specify a different delimiter "Janepige" wrote: > When I open CSV files in Excel all data is put in one co...

WdfUsbTargetDeviceCreate creates NULL Control Pipe Handle
Hi, We have a usb composite device which has one mass storage interface and another as a network interface. We are developing a WDF driver (NDIS-USB) for the network interface. Immediately after WdfUsbTargetDeviceCreate if I break into the debugger and examine the newly created device, then I see that the Control Pipe Handle is NULL! Here is the actual output: -------- kd> !WDFUSBDEVICE 0x0000057f`fe5905f8 WDFUSBDEVICE 0000057ffe5905f8 ============================= Config descriptor fffffa80037216b0, device descriptor fffffa8001a6fb58 Control USBD_PIPE_HANDLE 000000000000...

Zero filling a number field
I have an auto number field that I want to zero fill to six digits but can't figure out how. Any ideas? You don''t say where you're trying to do this, but basically Format(YourAutoNumber, "000000") pdlginternet@aol.com wrote: >I have an auto number field that I want to zero fill to six digits but >can't figure out how. Any ideas? -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200711/1 You can't do that wi...

building a custom calender control
I'm trying to build a calender control that will allow the user to select a month and display any appoitments / jobs due for that month. I want it to look like the calender in Outlook. i'm having trouble creating this in ACCESS 2007. Could anyone help please? This is a gigantic task. Is there some particular area where you are having a problem? Most people would opt for automation of outlook rather than trying to accomplish this... -- Jack Leach www.tristatemachine.com "I haven''t failed, I''ve found ten thousand ways that don''t wor...

Annoying problem with lookup field
On a client, I have a MOSS 2007 portal with two lists which are not wroking as expected. One contains people and the other one contains a lookup field based on data from the first list. When someone which hasn't got administrative rights logs in and tries to see the properties of any element in the second list (on DispForm.aspx), they can't see the lookup field value, and if they try to edit the element, the dropdown control used to choose a person from the first list appears empty. Administrator don't have this problem. The users having the problem have collaboration rig...

MemDC & Scroll Control with Mouse Wheel
Ever since I changed to use MemDC, using the mouse wheel made my CSrollView a complete mess. The wheel mouse control was working fine with my flickering version. Then I used MemDC to get rid of flickering issue, now I am having this scrolling issue for using the middle wheel mouse button. What could be wrong? Thanks. On 12 Aug 2005 06:53:36 -0700, guxu@hotmail.com wrote: >Ever since I changed to use MemDC, using the mouse wheel made my >CSrollView a complete mess. The wheel mouse control was working fine >with my flickering version. Then I used MemDC to get rid of flickering &g...

forms and column lengths
Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the row above?? Hi there's n o bulit-in feature for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Blair" <Blair@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C1D2CAAD-C4E9-492A-ADF4-CBDB659514A3@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row > when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the > row > above?? ...

Enable/Disable a Form Control Based on Security Group Permissions
How do I enable or disable a control in a form based on a user’s security group membership? For example: If I have a checkbox on a form (call it box1), I want box1 to be enabled if the user who opened Access is a member of a security group called “Breaker Test Admin.” For members of any other group (except of course “Admins”), box1 should be disabled. Thank you, for your help! On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:57:13 GMT, "BenS" <u35527@uwe> wrote: >How do I enable or disable a control in a form based on a user�s security >group membership? For example: If I have a checkbox on a ...

How to change the FROM field in email campaign activity?
How to change the FROM field in email campaign activity? I would like to create an email campaign activity and change the TO field of the email to be abother name instead of mine I would also like to add attachments I can't find a way to do this Any help is very much appreciated Thank you Stella Hi Stella, There are many ways to send marketing emails from CRM: Quick Campaigns Quick Campaigns with mail merge using Microsoft Word E-mail Campaign Activities E-mail Campaign Activities with mail merge using Microsoft Word Direct e-mail using templates Send a workflow e-mail Integrate...

Trying to Create a pop-up form
Due to size limitations on my main form, I am trying to create a form that, when I select a button, it pops up like a dialog box with the main form, Frm_Escheat, in the background I've created a qry which is the record source on my pop-up form. In the criteria of the query is: [Forms]![Frm_Escheat]![statecode] where [statecode] is the field from the Master Form. So, my "pop-up" form is activated when I select the button, but my problem is that it just goes to the pop-up form without the main form showing in the background. Thanks for your help. It would probably hel...

set value of a group of activex control points
Have a spreadsheet that has some 20+ activex control points (option buttons). Is there a way to group all these controls together & set their initial values the same? Trying to setup a "reset" type of operation that would clear all control points. I can do them individually via properties, but it's too time consuming. Any suggestions? ...

Auto Fill a Textbox in Form
What is the simplest way to auto fill a textbox (in a form) with the maximum values of more than one field in the last record entered, in the same table? Can the =DMax function be used for this? I have tried =DMax(“[field_1]”, “[field_2]”, “[field_3]” , “table_1”)+1, but this doesn’t work. Is something like this possible with two or more feilds with DMax? Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com See MinOfList() and MaxOfList() here: http://allenbrowne.com/func-09.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allen...

pvt table field settings!
hi! i am receiving data every day from 10 different places as under.! for example: DATE 11.01.2009 PLACE "A" TOTAL NUMBER OF RECEIPTS 10 TOTAL OF RECEIPTS AMOUNT 1000 DATE 11.01.2009 PLACE "B" TOTAL NUMBER OF RECEIPTS 50 TOTAL OF RECEIPTS AMOUNT 1500 DATE 11.02.2009 PLACE "A" TOTAL NUMBER OF RECEIPTS 15 TOTAL OF RECEIPTS AMOUNT 1000 DATE 11.03.2009 PLACE "C" TOTAL NUMBER OF RECEIPTS 10 TOTAL OF RECEIPTS AMOUNT 1000 -likewise i'm receiving daily data from all the 10 places..! what i want is a pivot table report on a...

user forms #5
Hello, I have created a user form (click on New Employee). How do I get the information entered in to this form to appear in the correct columns in the Payroll data sheet? And how do I get the combo boxes to display the drop down information from the sheet called input. Regards Runner77 -- Runner77 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Runner77's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30388 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500502 ...

Adding GAL users into a custom form
Hi, I have created a custom form, and am required to add a series of approvers. What I am trying to achieve is: * Add users from my GAL into a text field, so that when the form is sent, they do not get initially CC'ed the form. Is this achievable, and if so, how do I do it (if you could help by including any appropriate code, that would be great). Regards, Rick ...

controls showing up late with ShowWindow?
I have an application I wrote to print some labels to a barcode printer. It works fine, but I noticed that two labels which I hide at design time and then show just prior to printing with WriteFile, act a bit strange. Only one shows up initially and then after printing the other one shows up. I got around this by putting them in the printing loop which loops through all the files though I did not really want to do it that way. Even when I do it this way though the one label loses its sunken property until printing is completed. Any ideas why and how I can fix this. For the time ...