Word Perfect 5.x converter fails after security update MS09-073

It appears that on December 8, 2009, a security update (MS09-073) for the
Office 2003 File Converter Pack was issued. Now, when I attempt to open a
Word Perfect 5.x file in MSWord 2003 on my Windows XP machine, I receive an
error message that states, "File appears to be corrupted." Is there a
registry change or other action I can take to restore my ability to convert
and open WP 5.x files?

Microsoft has a habit of trashing old converters with 'security' updates.
You can download the old converter from my web site. How long it will work
for is anyone's guess.

Alternatively you could try uninstalling the 'security' update in question.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"86Ranger" <86Ranger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It appears that on December 8, 2009, a security update (MS09-073) for the
> Office 2003 File Converter Pack was issued. Now, when I attempt to open a
> Word Perfect 5.x file in MSWord 2003 on my Windows XP machine, I receive
> an
> error message that states, "File appears to be corrupted." Is there a
> registry change or other action I can take to restore my ability to
> convert
> and open WP 5.x files?

0
Graham
2/19/2010 2:09:14 PM
Mr. Mayor, (and I say that with utmost respect!),

Your fix worked beautifully! I downloaded the converter zip from your web
sight as you suggested and followed the instructions and I am now, back in
business. Thank you and have a great day.

Tom

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> Microsoft has a habit of trashing old converters with 'security' updates.
> You can download the old converter from my web site. How long it will work
> for is anyone's guess.
>
> Alternatively you could try uninstalling the 'security' update in question.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "86Ranger" <86Ranger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It appears that on December 8, 2009, a security update (MS09-073) for the
> > Office 2003 File Converter Pack was issued. Now, when I attempt to open a
> > Word Perfect 5.x file in MSWord 2003 on my Windows XP machine, I receive
> > an
> > error message that states, "File appears to be corrupted." Is there a
> > registry change or other action I can take to restore my ability to
> > convert
> > and open WP 5.x files?
>

> .

You are welcome :)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Mr. Mayor, (and I say that with utmost respect!),
>
> Your fix worked beautifully! I downloaded the converter zip from your web
> sight as you suggested and followed the instructions and I am now, back in
> business. Thank you and have a great day.
>
> Tom
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> Microsoft has a habit of trashing old converters with 'security' updates.
>> You can download the old converter from my web site. How long it will
>> work
>> for is anyone's guess.
>>
>> Alternatively you could try uninstalling the 'security' update in
>> question.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "86Ranger" <86Ranger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It appears that on December 8, 2009, a security update (MS09-073) for
>> > the
>> > Office 2003 File Converter Pack was issued. Now, when I attempt to open
>> > Word Perfect 5.x file in MSWord 2003 on my Windows XP machine, I
>> > receive
>> > an
>> > error message that states, "File appears to be corrupted." Is there a
>> > registry change or other action I can take to restore my ability to
>> > convert
>> > and open WP 5.x files?
>>

>> .

0
Graham

CRM SQL Reporting Services failing...
Hello all, My CRM is powered by SQL 2000 SP4 and SQL Reporting Services. I can run a report (example, Sales Pipeline) and Group it by what ever field I chose but when I then try to expand data in the returned report by double clicking on a bar of the report to return a new report I get this error: Reporting Services Error -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted) Get Online Help Query execution failed for data set 'DSpipeDetails'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand) Get Online He...

5.5 -> 2003 Move
Greetings, I am currently under the control of a small NT 4 Domain that I am "moving" to 2003. I say moving because I want to start over on a clean slate and will be re-installing all Vital Apps and services on the the new DC's. The Network consists of less than 100 users and is using exchange 5.5 as it's mail server. I would like to know if there are any thoughts or ideas on my current plan of moving mail to the New 2k3 environment. My plan is as follows: 1. I will perform a move of the mailbox stores to .pst/.ost files. (not sure if there is a way to do this from ...

User Level Security
Hi, I've just implemented the User Security and would like to setup one of the users with the ability to add and modify other users permisssions but not have admin access to the database. Ideally I want to add a button to my Main Menu form that would allow them to open the built in Access "User and Group Accounts ..." form. Is this a doable thing? Thanks, Ken ...

New Installation & Update
I just purchased a new iMac I also purchased another copy of office. After office installed, the auto updater loaded the 11.3.9 Then later the auto updater wanted to install 11.3.8. -At this point I did not do this update, but read the update info pages. Each update states that the previous update needs to be installed FIRST, clear back to 11.3.5 So, since the auto updater installed the 11.3.9 version, do I need to actually install the other regressive updates? or was that update all-inclusive. or do I need to uninstall office and reinstall, then manually install the updates because the aut...

converter um ficheiro do Microsoft Money 2002 para o Microsoft mon
Utilizo regularmente o Microsoft Money 2002. Acontece que quero fazer o upgrade da versão para o Money 2006 mas tenho algumas dificuldades na conversão do ficheiro Quando incio o Money 2006 ale abre o ficheiro e pede a password. depois pede para converter o ficheiro e dá inicio ao processo. finalmente, aparece-me a mensagem de que o money 2006 não consegue converter o ficheiro porque foi criado numa versão diferente. Alguém me pode ajudar. Esta situação também me aconteceu com o money 2005 e 2004. Jorge ...

Close active Workbook with upper right hand X does not work
HI: I have Excel 2000 and have a BIG problem. the Upper right hand X for closing the Workbook does not work. It's grayed out. And when I pick File, Exit from the menu it wants to SAVE the spreadsheet/workbook even when it's new and blank. The only thing I've done is to add a template (Book1.xlt) that contains a macro for adding the full path to my footer. Your help would be appreciated. Bemused in Salem; Margie Are you using GroupWise? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone...

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money 2004 fails with errors...
Hello, I tried to convert a fine working (and validated), Quicken 2004 file to Money 2004. The conversion went fine until the end, when it spit out a report. All the accounts have a $0 amount on the Money side, but the correct dollar amount on the quicken side: Account Name Quicken Balance Money Balance XYZ 0.00 0.00 Cash Account 105.12 0.00 Your Quicken file contained invalid transaction types. No data on what is invalid just many of these errors in the file. Any ideas of what I can do?? I am using the trial version. I would never buy the software if I have to enter ...

Converting from Publisher98 to Publisher2003
I am needing to convert some of my older data from Microsoft Publisher 98 to use in Microsoft Publisher 2003 - If I try to just open up the files from 98 into 2003 it tells me that it can not be used from older versions. Could someone tell me how I can convert these files? Thank you... If you have Norton, disable "script blocking" and in Norton Options, misc. disable "Office Plug-in", if you don't have Norton, disable whatever anti-virus software you do have until the conversion is complete. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvp...

How do I plot multiple x-axis series in excel charts
I am plotting 3 years of survey data. Survey date is the x axis and count value is the y axis. Surveys were not conducted on exactly the same date in each year. In previous versions of excel I could convert the data to a number (i.e. julian date) Specifiy the minimum and maximum x-axis values and the data points would be diplayed at the appropriate x-value (date). However in Excell 2003 I can't seem to do this. I can't specify a scale for the x-axis and when I try and put specific values in for the x-axis excel will only use the last one entered and applies these date values to ...

Hyperlink #5
Is it possible to make the destination of a hyperlink a graph o graphic -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi not without using VBA and triggering the selection_change event of your worksheet. Have a look at http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon016 for some code Frank > Is it possible to make the destination of a hyperlink a graph or > graphic? ...

Can not seem to get Csharp to talk to the sql compact 3.5 database
Hi I am new to csharp. I am trying to get my Csharp windows app to connect to the sql compact database. I am using Visual Csharp Express 2008 and I created the database using the Csharp express IDE. It is in the project folder. I created the tables and added elements to the table manually with the IDE. So the IDE seems to connect to the database. I can also contact the database using the SQL Server management studio. When I created the database I had the connection string placed in the config.app file. A string does appear to exist there. When I run the app. I can not seem to g...

Remotely Deploying Office 2004 for Mac Updates
I manage a few Macs on our corporate network and remotely push Apple updates to them through Apple Remote Desktop. I know that if the MS updates were packages it would just be a matter of sending them out with ARD, but since they're disk images I can't do that. Is there a solution for doing something like this? I did some searching on the mactopia site, the microsoft site and just in google in general and found nothing regarding doing such a thing. Thanks <sohayda@gmail.com> wrote: > I manage a few Macs on our corporate network and remotely push Apple > updates to them t...

How to delete a file locked onto MS WORD?
Somehow a WORD file attached itself to MS WORD (Windows 7 version) so every time I open WORD, that file comes up & I cannot get rid of it and therefore cannot use WORD for anything else. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Stan G" <Stan G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F32AB411-6922-4134-979C-E3EA0200F916@microsoft.com... > Somehow a WORD file attached itself to MS WORD (Windows 7 version) so > every ...

Update Password Protected Links
Hi, I have the following button. It opens a spreadsheet that is password protected. This spreadsheet has links to another password protected spreadsheet. The button enters the password and sets update links to yes but it then asks for a password to update the links I would like it to input the password automatically. Can Anyone help please? Thanks Private Sub Command1_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command1_Click Dim ExcelApp As Object 'Excel.Application Dim ExcelWkb As Object 'Excel.Workbook Set ExcelApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application") Set ExcelWkb =...

Every new word doc saved, the icon is not correct

How to change "author" colors in Word 2003 reviewing toolbar
How do I change the two author colors (red/blue) in the word 2003 reviewing toolbar (show/options) to red and something else (like orange, not blue) that I can read better against the green background that I have to use because of my visual problems? I read Shauna's nice piece of reviewing but she does not spell this out. Also, can you add a third reviewer with yet another color? thanks. Click Tools | Options. On the Track Changes tab, specify the colors that you want. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "removing all headers and footers" <removin...

Updateable Query
Why can't access just read my mind. It would be easier. I have 2 table tblStudents-Stores Name, ID#s, Ethnicity, Etc tblTests - Stores which particular tests the students should take Math, Reading, Science Etc. Currently tblTests is empty. I would like to set up a query that links the tblStudents with tblTests via the LocID number with all records from tblStudent showing. LocIDis the primary key for both tables. When I tried to link them it makes the query uneditable. I looked on the site and tried to include all the fields from tblTests and only last and first name ...

directly emailing word or excel document
From either Word or Excel 2007 - File - Send as email attachment I get the error Logon Failed, you must log on to Microsoft Exchange to access your address book. I am using Windows Live Mail and have set thjis as my defalt email program ...

Exchange 5.5 in a Windows 2000 Environment
Is it possible to run an Exchange 5.5 server as the only Exchange server in a Windows 2000 environment? On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:21:48 -0600, Randy Dalton <RPDalton@bibb.com> wrote: >Is it possible to run an Exchange 5.5 server as the only Exchange server >in a Windows 2000 environment? Absolutley, even though you have AD, you don't need to run an AD aware messaging platform. You can stick with 5.5 and choose whether or not to deploy the ADC to enable single point administration or alternatively just carry on with a separate directory as is the case in 5.5/NT4 environments. ...

updateing a orginal sheet after two or more have updated copys
We are working on an speadsheet, I was emailed a copy of it and so was two others. How do we go about update if we each have a copy of the orginal and we are entering different info. How can we configure correctly? so the info we are each entery is update to the orginal? I would say it would be difficult with three of you making changes to three separate copies of the same workbook. Perhaps you should investigate the use of a single Shared workbook. See help on sharing a workbook. Also note the loss of some features when sharing. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 19 Ma...

how to convert mail to task? #2
hi everyone, i wonder if someone knows how can i make a mcro that will convert mai (from specific folder) to a task? i have a folder in my outlook that every mail there i convert to tas by draging the mail (using the right click) to the task folder an choosing the "Copy Here as Task with Attachment" option - as you ca see in the attach pic i want to make this action automatic. 10x for your time eligr +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: !test.jpg |Download attachment: http://www.outloo...

MDW Security and new Access instance
Using a command button on a form, I want to open a new instance of Access and then open a secured DB. I used code from The Access Web (http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0036.htm) and am having trouble personalizing it. When I click on the command button, I get a run-time error 4265. Following is my code: Private Sub lblECSMgmtDB_Click() Dim strDB As String Dim strCmd As String Dim objSecuredDB As Access.Application strDB = "[\\Helialabama\engsys$\DataBases\ECS MNGT1.0.mdb]" strCmd = SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessDir) & "[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Of...

Microsoft CRM 1.2 database export failed 04-04-06
This message comes from the Microsoft CRM Server Setup. The crm30svrsetup.log has error - 14:36:41| Error| Check ExportXmlValidator : Failure: Microsoft CRM 1.2 database export failed. When you press help I get a "Mal-formed XML found in Microsoft CRM 1.2 Exported Saved Queries" which explains nothing! Somebody else must have a similar error! ......... Bob H Hi Bob, We had this with a customer. We ended up un-installing MS CRM 1.2 and running MS CRM 3 install by simply connecting to the 1.2 db's. However, we ran a series of scripts against the CRM db's (before 3 se...

Word history
Someone gave me a Word document that I need to use as a model. I started deleting old values, and it just created crossed-out blue versions. I saved my document and opened it and still have the history. My Word is up-to date Word for Windows. How do I turn off this history bit? -- "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found, than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace to the legislature, and not to the executive department." - James Madison "Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> wrote in message news:888to...

word, excel, etc on XP try to install with each use
I work for a small non-profit with a bunch of hand me down computers. When I open Word, the system 'installs' it every time. It's a pain, but I can deal. Today is the first time I've tried to use Excel, it goes through the same process but dosen't open and gives Error 1706. I don't have the install disks, but I do have the product number. Help!!! ...