Word 2007: Multi-level lists

Howdy:
I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list.  The first level uses
Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

C ....
AA
BB
CC ...
ZZ

Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list reaches
Z, the numbering continues as follows:

C ...
AA
AB
AC ...

Thanks,
--
Kim

See the "Generate a number sequence like Excel uses to number columns" item
under the Nifty Numbering section of fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Kim in Melb" <KiminMelb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Howdy:
> I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list.  The first level
> uses
> Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

> C ....
> AA
> BB
> CC ...
> ZZ
>
> Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list
> reaches
> Z, the numbering continues as follows:

> C ...
> AA
> AB
> AC ...
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Kim

0
Doug
4/23/2010 3:52:10 AM
To add to what Doug has said, note that SEQ fields don't update automatically. You can force an update by switching to Print Preview and then back to your favorite view (use Ctrl+F2 as a toggle). Also, you can explicitly update the fields in the selection by pressing F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message news:F2CE2F47-2893-414B-9588-088FBB3550E2@microsoft.com...
> See the "Generate a number sequence like Excel uses to number columns" item
> under the Nifty Numbering section of fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at:
>
> http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "Kim in Melb" <KiminMelb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Howdy:
>> I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list.  The first level
>> uses
>> Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

>> C ....
>> AA
>> BB
>> CC ...
>> ZZ
>>
>> Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list
>> reaches
>> Z, the numbering continues as follows:

>> C ...
>> AA
>> AB
>> AC ...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Kim

0
Stefan
4/23/2010 5:43:34 PM
Hi Doug & Stefan:

Many thanks for your responses.  Methinks I may have bitten off more than I
can chew!  I now have the code (thanks to you) ... question is, where do I
put it?  Is this something I need to create in Visual Basics?

Thanks heaps,
--
Kim

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> To add to what Doug has said, note that SEQ fields don't update automatically. You can force an update by switching to Print Preview and then back to your favorite view (use Ctrl+F2 as a toggle). Also, you can explicitly update the fields in the selection by pressing F9.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message news:F2CE2F47-2893-414B-9588-088FBB3550E2@microsoft.com...
> > See the "Generate a number sequence like Excel uses to number columns" item
> > under the Nifty Numbering section of fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at:
> >
> > http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> > services on a paid consulting basis.

> > "Kim in Melb" <KiminMelb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Howdy:
> >> I'm numbering the appendices using a multi-level list.  The first level
> >> uses
> >> Alphas where the number of appendices goes beyond Z i.e.

> >> C ....
> >> AA
> >> BB
> >> CC ...
> >> ZZ
> >>
> >> Is there any way that I can change the format so that when the list
> >> reaches
> >> Z, the numbering continues as follows:

> >> C ...
> >> AA
> >> AB
> >> AC ...
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >> Kim
> >

> .

To enter field codes in your document, first press Ctrl+F9 to insert field
delimiters, { }, and then type the code (note that you cannot type the braces
from the keyboard). Press F9 to update. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide field codes. To
duplicate a certain field code, you can use copy and paste (be sure to update
it, for example by toggling Print Preview).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

> Hi Doug & Stefan:
>
> Many thanks for your responses.  Methinks I may have bitten off more than I
> can chew!  I now have the code (thanks to you) ... question is, where do I
> put it?  Is this something I need to create in Visual Basics?
>
> Thanks heaps,
> --
> Kim
>

> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> To add to what Doug has said, note that SEQ fields don't update
>> automatically. You can force an update by switching to Print Preview and then
>> back to your favorite view (use Ctrl+F2 as a toggle). Also, you can
>> explicitly update the fields in the selection by pressing F9.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> > See the "Generate a number sequence like Excel uses to number columns" item
>> > under the Nifty Numbering section of fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at:
>> >
>> > http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/
>> >
>> > --
>> > Hope this helps.
>> >
>> > Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> > services on a paid consulting basis.

>> > "Kim in Melb" <KiminMelb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> .

0
Stefan
5/13/2010 8:02:48 AM
To clarify: You will have to press Ctrl+F9 to insert *each pair* of field
delimiters.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To enter field codes in your document, first press Ctrl+F9 to insert field
> delimiters, { }, and then type the code (note that you cannot type the braces
> from the keyboard). Press F9 to update. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide field codes.
> To duplicate a certain field code, you can use copy and paste (be sure to
> update it, for example by toggling Print Preview).
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Kim in Melb" <KiminMelb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Doug & Stefan:
>>
>> Many thanks for your responses.  Methinks I may have bitten off more than I
>> can chew!  I now have the code (thanks to you) ... question is, where do I
>> put it?  Is this something I need to create in Visual Basics?
>>
>> Thanks heaps,
>> --
>> Kim
>>

>> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>>
>>> To add to what Doug has said, note that SEQ fields don't update
>>> automatically. You can force an update by switching to Print Preview and
>>> then back to your favorite view (use Ctrl+F2 as a toggle). Also, you can
>>> explicitly update the fields in the selection by pressing F9.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Stefan Blom
>>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>>

>>> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> .

0
Stefan
5/13/2010 8:58:50 AM
Hi Stefan:

Thanks for that but I still need to delve a little further.  My mutli list
is linked to styles so that it's completely automatic - I haven't used
bookmarks or anything else that an author needs to add in as you go.  The
reason for this is that the mutli list is in a template which will be used by
hundreds of people with varying degree of Word skill.  Therefore, I'm still
confused as to where in the document I need to add these fields i.e. do I go
into developer and add the field in there or do I add the field next to each
multi-list entry?
Thanks,
--
Kim

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> To clarify: You will have to press Ctrl+F9 to insert *each pair* of field
> delimiters.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > To enter field codes in your document, first press Ctrl+F9 to insert field
> > delimiters, { }, and then type the code (note that you cannot type the braces
> > from the keyboard). Press F9 to update. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide field codes.
> > To duplicate a certain field code, you can use copy and paste (be sure to
> > update it, for example by toggling Print Preview).
> >
> > --
> > Stefan Blom
> > Microsoft Word MVP
> >

> > "Kim in Melb" <KiminMelb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Doug & Stefan:
> >>
> >> Many thanks for your responses.  Methinks I may have bitten off more than I
> >> can chew!  I now have the code (thanks to you) ... question is, where do I
> >> put it?  Is this something I need to create in Visual Basics?
> >>
> >> Thanks heaps,
> >> --
> >> Kim

> .

SEQ fields can't be linked to styles, unfortunately. Since there are many users
with different experience, maybe it would be easier to use auto numbering and a
numbering format that is supported by Word's multilevel list feature.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

> Hi Stefan:
>
> Thanks for that but I still need to delve a little further.  My mutli list
> is linked to styles so that it's completely automatic - I haven't used
> bookmarks or anything else that an author needs to add in as you go.  The
> reason for this is that the mutli list is in a template which will be used by
> hundreds of people with varying degree of Word skill.  Therefore, I'm still
> confused as to where in the document I need to add these fields i.e. do I go
> into developer and add the field in there or do I add the field next to each
> multi-list entry?
> Thanks,
> --
> Kim
>

> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> To clarify: You will have to press Ctrl+F9 to insert *each pair* of field
>> delimiters.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > To enter field codes in your document, first press Ctrl+F9 to insert field
>> > delimiters, { }, and then type the code (note that you cannot type the
>> > braces
>> > from the keyboard). Press F9 to update. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide field
>> > codes.
>> > To duplicate a certain field code, you can use copy and paste (be sure to
>> > update it, for example by toggling Print Preview).
>> >
>> > --
>> > Stefan Blom
>> > Microsoft Word MVP
>> >

>> > "Kim in Melb" <KiminMelb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> .

0
Stefan
5/16/2010 12:08:58 PM
I have tried the field construction on Cindy's site, but must admit that I
cannot get it to work.  So, instead of trying to figure out why, I decided
it would be easier to create a macro to apply such numbering to all of the
paragraphs that were selected, which is what the following will do:

Dim i As Long
With Selection
    For i = 1 To .Paragraphs.Count
        .Paragraphs(i).LeftIndent = InchesToPoints(0.5)
        .Paragraphs(i).FirstLineIndent = -InchesToPoints(0.5)
        If i < 27 Then
            .Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore Chr(64 + i) & vbTab
        ElseIf i Mod 26 = 0 Then
            .Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore Chr(Int(i / 26) - 1 + 64) &
Chr(64 + 26) & vbTab
        Else
            .Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore Chr(Int(i / 26) + 64) & Chr((i
Mod 26) + 64) & vbTab
        End If
    Next i
End With

it also formats the paragraphs with a left indent of 0.5" and a hanging
indent of -0.5" and inserts a tab space after the paragraph "number"

See the article "What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup
readers to help me out?” at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Kim-in-Melb" <Kim-in-Melb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Stefan:
>
> Thanks for that but I still need to delve a little further.  My mutli list
> is linked to styles so that it's completely automatic - I haven't used
> bookmarks or anything else that an author needs to add in as you go.  The
> reason for this is that the mutli list is in a template which will be used
> by
> hundreds of people with varying degree of Word skill.  Therefore, I'm
> still
> confused as to where in the document I need to add these fields i.e. do I
> go
> into developer and add the field in there or do I add the field next to
> each
> multi-list entry?
> Thanks,
> --
> Kim
>

> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> To clarify: You will have to press Ctrl+F9 to insert *each pair* of field
>> delimiters.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > To enter field codes in your document, first press Ctrl+F9 to insert
>> > field
>> > delimiters, { }, and then type the code (note that you cannot type the
>> > braces
>> > from the keyboard). Press F9 to update. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide field
>> > codes.
>> > To duplicate a certain field code, you can use copy and paste (be sure
>> > update it, for example by toggling Print Preview).
>> >
>> > --
>> > Stefan Blom
>> > Microsoft Word MVP
>> >

>> > "Kim in Melb" <KiminMelb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> .

0
Doug
5/16/2010 12:17:21 PM
Well, that's certainly better than my suggestion. :-)

--

>I have tried the field construction on Cindy's site, but must admit that I
>cannot get it to work.  So, instead of trying to figure out why, I decided it
>would be easier to create a macro to apply such numbering to all of the
>paragraphs that were selected, which is what the following will do:
>
> Dim i As Long
> With Selection
>    For i = 1 To .Paragraphs.Count
>        .Paragraphs(i).LeftIndent = InchesToPoints(0.5)
>        .Paragraphs(i).FirstLineIndent = -InchesToPoints(0.5)
>        If i < 27 Then
>            .Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore Chr(64 + i) & vbTab
>        ElseIf i Mod 26 = 0 Then
>            .Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore Chr(Int(i / 26) - 1 + 64) &
> Chr(64 + 26) & vbTab
>        Else
>            .Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore Chr(Int(i / 26) + 64) & Chr((i
> Mod 26) + 64) & vbTab
>        End If
>    Next i
> End With
>
> it also formats the paragraphs with a left indent of 0.5" and a hanging indent
> of -0.5" and inserts a tab space after the paragraph "number"
>
> See the article "What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup
> readers to help me out?" at:
> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm
>

> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "Kim-in-Melb" <Kim-in-Melb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Stefan:
>>
>> Thanks for that but I still need to delve a little further.  My mutli list
>> is linked to styles so that it's completely automatic - I haven't used
>> bookmarks or anything else that an author needs to add in as you go.  The
>> reason for this is that the mutli list is in a template which will be used by
>> hundreds of people with varying degree of Word skill.  Therefore, I'm still
>> confused as to where in the document I need to add these fields i.e. do I go
>> into developer and add the field in there or do I add the field next to each
>> multi-list entry?
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Kim
>>

>> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>>
>>> To clarify: You will have to press Ctrl+F9 to insert *each pair* of field
>>> delimiters.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Stefan Blom
>>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>>

>>> "Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> .

0
Stefan
5/16/2010 12:34:56 PM
Thanks Doug and Stefn. I'll think I'll stick with the auto numbering offered
by Word for this template however the macro will come in handy for other
pieces of work - I appreciate your help.

Thanks again,

Thank you for the follow-up!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

> Thanks Doug and Stefn. I'll think I'll stick with the auto numbering offered
> by Word for this template however the macro will come in handy for other
> pieces of work - I appreciate your help.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> SEQ fields can't be linked to styles, unfortunately. Since there are many
>> users
>> with different experience, maybe it would be easier to use auto numbering and
>> numbering format that is supported by Word's multilevel list feature.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Kim-in-Melb" <Kim-in-Melb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Stefan:
>> >
>> > Thanks for that but I still need to delve a little further.  My mutli list
>> > is linked to styles so that it's completely automatic - I haven't used
>> > bookmarks or anything else that an author needs to add in as you go.  The
>> > reason for this is that the mutli list is in a template which will be used
>> > by
>> > hundreds of people with varying degree of Word skill.  Therefore, I'm still
>> > confused as to where in the document I need to add these fields i.e. do I
>> > go
>> > into developer and add the field in there or do I add the field next to
>> > each
>> > multi-list entry?
>> > Thanks,
>> > --
>> > Kim

>> .

0
Stefan

Multi Currency Revaluation Option
We have a cash account in Canada. The amount is reflected properly in our system in Canadian dollars. We changed the exchange rate at the beginning of the year. We would like to reflect this change on my beginning balances for the year 2005. When I try to run the revaluation for finance series for this account, it doesn't update the beginning balances. How do i update my beginning balances in functional currency? Try running a revalue for the last period of the prior year. Don't post it, just print to make sure it is doing what you want. (You may need to open up the fiscal perio...

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Word 2004 overriding global prefs
Okay.. PMG5 running 10.4.6. I have a problem with the default page setup settings in two limited user accounts (my own, admin account, is fine). As I am in the UK, the global default paper size is set to A4. All applications respect this - bar Word. Every time it's fired up, and a new document selected, the paper size is always US Letter. This does NOT affect any other Office application. I have tried trashing prefs - I've even removed (using the supplied removal tool) and reinstalled Office. My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She wouldn't ...

Publisher 2007 frequently crashes

Add PowerPoint 2007 to Office Basic

opening a .docx with word 2004

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003

compact database in VBA access 2007

Macro

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

MS Access 2007 code not running

MS Project 2007 question
Hello, I am developing a simple schedule with no resources but 2 tasks out of 100 are hazardous and I would like to make the schedule so that when these tasks occur, no other tasks can occur. In other words, even though all tasks are moving around as the schedule is being developed, I would like to make sure no other tasks can be scheduled wherever these 2 hazardous tasks fall. These 2 tasks are serial to every other task in the schedule. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for your help. Mike Create two milestones. Use milestone 1 as the successor task to all tasks th...

Office 2007 Templates & Themes
Is there anyway the content for Office 2007 at the MS Office web site could be made available to Office:Mac users. Currently need to have OGA validation via ActiveX control or from Office for Windows programs. Surely Mac users could be given access! Dave We have asked that question. We don't have an answer yet (at least, it wasn't "No", that would have been quick!). They are trying to work out how to let us in without letting in all the people using the competitor products. I think they will set up a mirror on the MacTopia site that will allow us to reach the ones tha...

Changing the words "Sales Receipt" to "Invoice"
I cannot find how to change the word at the top right of our Sales document to read "Invoice" rather than "Sales Receipt". We bill out as a receivable for most of our goods and there seems to be some confusion with our customers. Thanks in advance for your help. -- Ron Moore Changing Sales Order to Invoice There is a receipt variable called "Transaction.ReceiptTransactionName" (in <SUB name="PrintTransactionType"> of receipt.xml)which returns the "default" name for the transaction based on it's type. You can replace this w...

Outlook 2007 PST files and temp files
When I have PST files on the server, I notice that there is a temp file accompanying it when Outlook is loaded. Would loading the temp file on the local PC make Outlook quicker, if so, how can one do this...? Thanks, Tom... "TK" <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> wrote in message news:Ovq2RUgvJHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > When I have PST files on the server, I notice that there is a temp file > accompanying it when Outlook is loaded. > > Would loading the temp file on the local PC make Outlook quicker, if so, how > can one do this...? You shouldn...

Format List Box!