Word 2003 Problems

This is happening on 2 different computers:

Word 2003 will not directly open a document from the desktop or the My Docs
folder (or any folder).

File - Open will open the file, but it can't be edited and the mouse won't
work, you can't click in the file to go to a specific place in the document.

I appreciate any help.

You may want to check the "file association" or "file type" that .doc are
associated to.

Open for instance "My Documents" go to "tools" > "folder options" > "file
types" and then scroll down to "DOC" and make sure it is set to open with
"Microsoft Word" not wordpad.  You can press the change button and select
"Microsoft Office Word" from the list to reset it.

Ferrell

"Jeff Mort" wrote:

> This is happening on 2 different computers:
>
> Word 2003 will not directly open a document from the desktop or the My Docs
> folder (or any folder).
>
> File - Open will open the file, but it can't be edited and the mouse won't
> work, you can't click in the file to go to a specific place in the document.
>
> I appreciate any help.
Thanks Ferrell,

I tried that.  I actually changed it to Wordpad and then back to Word.

I also deleted the normal.dot (just to be sure it wasn't a template issue).

Jeff

See http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm

> File - Open will open the file, but it can't be edited and the mouse won't
> work, you can't click in the file to go to a specific place in the
> document.

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 with particular reference to the data
key in the registry.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

0
Graham

Problems with OALGen after Raid Upgrade
Hello, We have recently upgraded the raid array on our windows 2003 SBS server, and we've been stomping out bugs since. I've almost got them all fixed except for a few that deal with exchange offline address book. Here are the errors from the logs Event ID: 9126 OALGen encountered error 80004005 while calculating the offline address list for address list '\Global Address List'. This offline address list will not be available for client download. - /o=AALBERSTOOL/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Address List For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/cont...

Problem
Ever since I added a Microsoft Exchange Server Account and all it6s associated folders and its in-box to my pre-existing Personal Outlook 2003 POP3 folders, I have had nothing but confusion. The Exchange Server account from my workplace downloads its messages into the in-Box for my private ISP POP3 account and vice versa. When I try to configure a rule for my personal POP3 account so that any messages addressed to my workplace account are loaded into the exchange server in-box on my client PC, the software tells me I have to go on-line to Exchange Server - even to create rules for th...

Monitoring Exchange 2003 #2
Hello, We are planning to implement MOM 2005. However, we are also concerned about implementing auditing for changes made within ESM. Will there be a tool that will allow management to know a change was completed by a specific UserID? When a mailbox store is dismounted - who dismounted it/date/time? When a change is made to the RUS - who made the change? Thank you, Exchange2003 MOM does not have the ability to monitor this in the shipped Management Pack. You can enable AD auditing on the domain controllers: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314955&sd=tech. ...

date problem #10
Thanks a lot, Dave This piece of code works great. M P Redd -- mpredd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mpreddy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1327 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26358 ...

Outlook 2003 wont stop
I sill have the probs with OL 2003. It absolutely wont stop. If I start Outlook the first time then there is no problem. As I click the EXIT button Outlook closes but the Icon of Outlook remains in the Taskbar of Windows. Restaring OL is not possible. Killing Outlook via TaskManager wont help either. Please Help!! Benjamin Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. 2. WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their support for an alleged fix. 3. Franklin...

Exchange 2003
Hello I have a newly setup production exchange server (sp2). It is only serving a small subset of my organisation, about 15 users, using mydomain1.com. My active directory contains around 100 user accounts that do not have exchange mailboxes and they use our old pop3 based system and have a seperate email domain name, mydomain2.com. It would appear that whenever someone with an exchange mailbox (mydomain1.com) sends mail to people with an email address listed elsewhere in the active directory (mydomain2.com) it gets stuck in the local exchnage delivery queue rather than forwarding i...

Exporting emails from Outlook 2003 #2
I have a folder that contains over 500 threads on technical matters on a subject. I have tried to use Export to Exel but this does not transfere all the information over including not giving all the text in the body of the email. A similar problem is saving an email to a folder outside outlook it doesn't show the date so you may have a huge list of items all titled but not dated in the title Please can anybody help? Hi stevtb why do you want to export the emails. What is the target/reson to export the emails? -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook without Exchange (Vista Ready): Publi...

Entourage 2004 and Exchange 2003 Cluster
Hello, I have an Active Passive Exchange 2003 SP2 cluster Exch1 and Exch2. When I set it to Exch 1 our one MAC user running Entourage 2004 is unable to connect. Does anyone know what setting to check on the Exchange server? Thanks, DOTT ...

Problem changing parent Business unit
WE have re-arranged some business units into a more appropriate hierarchy, however, we have noticed that a user in a role with deep privileges (own business unit and children I think) to read users can only see users in his own business unit and only one of the child business units (there are 2 child business units). We cannot enable him to see all the users in both child business units. We tried reassigning the parent business unit to the one child that is not appearing, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. WE also tried adjusting the privileges up and down (i.e. Global and local...

I want to buy the best book of office 2003
Hi. I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? Marco Hi, Marco. > I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? "The Best Book of Office 2003." (Just kidding!) "Best" is subjective. Check out former Access MVP Jeff Conrad's lists of recommended books and find the ones for Access 2003, then go to your bookstore and look at each one to see if it's "for you" -- and your learning style. http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html#Books Notice that these books are all Access databas...

Problem w/ Outlook
I'm running Office XP and all of a sudden I can't move messages to other folders not delete messages from my Inbox. It doesn't give me a specific error code, just suggests that I restart Outlook. I've tried that with no success. I went to ControlPanel and repaired my Office installation. Any ideas? Eudora is looking beter all the time. ...

create new users STRANGE problem
Hi, I'm developing a web application (using standard asp and not asp.net) to let certain remote users administer exchange 2003. I have installed win2003 standard edition, exchange 2003 enterprise edition,owa and my web application on the same server. My web app, let users to create mailboxes, delete mailboxes, change user password. All works fine, but for example, if I reboot the server, a web application user can create 50 mailboxes. But when any of these users log on to owa, something goes wrong and the admin user cannot mailbox enable other user accounts through the web app, even if he ...

Exchange 5.5, Outlook 2003 and Czech characters
We are using the following configuration: - Windows XP English - Outlook 2003 English + MUI for French, Spanish, Italian, German - Exchange 5.5. We encounter some problem with Czech characters. When contacts are stored in the mailbox in Exchange 5.5, some czech characters are replaced in contact name, company, .... When we stored the same contact in a pst file, evrything works fine. The characters are not replaced. Have somebody an idea or a solution for me? ...

Problems with Outlook 2003
This only happens with externally sent messages. Internal messages work fine. One of my users alerted me to this issue, so I tested this myself. I created 2 messages (internal and external) and added delayed delivery to both. They were both set to go out at the same time. The internal message went, and the external message is still in the outbox. The user who alerted me to this found her message went "before" the scheduled time.We are not running in cached mode and of course running Outlook on Exchange. Is this a bug? ...

Using Word 2003 in Vista: Opening dictionary shuts down Word
This is a problem in Vista; it did not occur when I used Word 2003 in XP. Whenever I try to open the dictionary in Word 2003, either by clicking its icon, or hitting Alt+click over a word, Word shuts down. Vista Business, Service Pack 2 Thinkpad T400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM ...

Exchange 2003 or Outlook 2003 error
This is only happening with one of our users, and I am trying to figure out if it is with there Outlook 2003 Client or if it is with our Exchange 2003 server. I have read other posts about this however I could not tell if the error was with one or all of the clients. Also they seemed to indicate it was for outside there domain, ours is happening for both outside and inside when a mail is sent to a user on the same server and domain. They have not received the error (to my knowledge) from OWA. Error: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject...

Outlook 2003 does not sync properly when connected.
When connected thru a Windows 2000 Server to the internet, and using VPN to connect to an Exchange Server running on Windows 2000 Small Busness Server, I get the following error. "(0x8004011D) The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists." I am able to connect it I dial into the internet and use VPN to connect to the internet. ...

Migrating from Exch 2000 to 2003
We're in the middle of migrating thousands of users from Exchange 2000 to 2003. Our 2000 users are experiencing a problem where anytime they are sent an e-mail from a 2003 user, they receive the e-mail as an attachment rather than a regular readable e-mail. They have to open the attachment to read it. We also are going through a Trend Viruswall server for virus cleaning, and have a Netscape mail server in the mix as well. Has anyone seen this? ...

memory problem of Excel 2003 copy & paste
Hi all, I am using Excel 2003 for some project. I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space. After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and paste... It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells... I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem. But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am running long-running (overnight) jobs... I cannot reboot either. Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running processes? Thanks! p.s. I am sure this is an is...

2003 OL with contact manager
Hi I would like to in-port Quick Books data , namely customers and vendors, and other names into OL contact manager.... can anyone tell me what QB files they are and what each is? Thanks David Have you tried Intuit support? Outlook would have no way of knowing what export types QuickBooks uses. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, RDavid asked: | Hi ...

Public Folder/OWA problem
We're running a pure Ex2k3 environment. I'm trying to setup a public folder where end-user software can be posted. This way, users can access our front-end OWA server outside of the network, open public folders, and then save the software to their local PC. The problem is that i get a "403 Forbidden" error whenever i try to download the file off of OWA. I checked that users had all permissions to the folder.. I found this TechNet article that describes something very similar (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834743/en-us). The only problem is that it refers to som...

Shared workbook and VBA problem
Shared workbook and VBA problem Hi Group, I am new at this Excel stuff and I am hitting my head on a silly problem that I am sure many have seen before. I wrote a very simple spreadsheet where I use the Calendar control to pick some dates. Everything was fine until I decided that I needed to share it on the network with other users. As soon as I share it the calendar control stops working. I get a "runtime error 1004, unable to set left property of oleobject class". That's because the first thing I try to do is position the calendar. If I don't do that, it still doesn't...

Folder-Link Icon in Outlook 2003
In the past (Outlook XP and before) I could distinguish between a regular Folder and a Folder-Link (.xnk file). Their icons were different. In Outlook 2003 a Folder-Link icon looks exactly the same as a Folder icon. Is they any way I can influence the look of Folder Link icons ? You can change the xnk-file icon association by going to Control Panel-> Folder Options -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Arie Blonk" <Arie Blonk@discussio...

outlook express 6 password problem
Help I have outlook express 6, windows xp. My internet provider just changed from att broadband to comcast. now i keep getting a password rejected error and i cant receive any mail. i cant seem to find a way to shut off the password. in my wifes page of xp it works ok. Hi, Bill - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these n...

Outlook 2003 Adding several Emails to Block Sender list at One Tim
I just upgraded to Windows 2003 SP 2. In the older version of Outlook, I could highlight several emails and add them to the junk senders list by selecting: Action/Junk Email/Ad to junk senders list With 2003, the option to “Add Sender to blocked senders list” is grayed out and I am not able to select it. What can I do to be able to use this? It is available when I select an individual email. ...