Word 2003 Paragraph Numbering when combining multiple documents

I have a multi-chapter document when has paragraphs numbered 1., 1.1.,
1.1.1., 2., 2.1., etc. where the first digit signifies the chapter. I am
using heading styles to organize the numbering in the document and it works
well - when all of the chapters are in a single document. To facilitate
editing and review, I have broken each chapter into a separate document with
the idea that I would either combine them using "Insert File" or
"IncludeText" fields. I am also using RD fields to create a master TOC and
Index for the "combined" document.

I have discovered that, when I break out each chapter to a single document,
the paragraph numbers default to 1., 1.1., 1.1.1., etc. no matter what
chapter I am in and this is the number that gets brought into the TOC and
combined document when I use "Insert File." I have gone back and reset the
chapter numbering to start at the appropriate number and I can print it
correctly but the paragraph numbering reverts to 1. either when I close or
open the document. I have "update fields when printing" unchecked but don't
see another toggle that would keep the paragraph numbers from changing.

What you are seeing shouldn't happen. Did you make sure to set up heading
numbering correctly (as explained in the article at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joseph Talbott" <JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a multi-chapter document when has paragraphs numbered 1., 1.1.,
> 1.1.1., 2., 2.1., etc. where the first digit signifies the chapter. I am
> using heading styles to organize the numbering in the document and it
> works
> well - when all of the chapters are in a single document. To facilitate
> editing and review, I have broken each chapter into a separate document
> with
> the idea that I would either combine them using "Insert File" or
> "IncludeText" fields. I am also using RD fields to create a master TOC and
> Index for the "combined" document.
>
> I have discovered that, when I break out each chapter to a single
> document,
> the paragraph numbers default to 1., 1.1., 1.1.1., etc. no matter what
> chapter I am in and this is the number that gets brought into the TOC and
> combined document when I use "Insert File." I have gone back and reset the
> chapter numbering to start at the appropriate number and I can print it
> correctly but the paragraph numbering reverts to 1. either when I close or
> open the document. I have "update fields when printing" unchecked but
> don't
> see another toggle that would keep the paragraph numbers from changing.

0
Stefan
3/25/2010 6:57:26 PM
ueThanks Stefan,

My first response was to say that I carefully followed Shauna's guide when I
set up my numbering scheme but then I thought it might be a good time to
re-read her article to see if I might pick up something new. Well, that was
it. Somewhere in the process of setting up the single-chapter files, the
"Automatically update document styles" box on the Templates and Add-ins
dialogue box got checked and since I made a copy of the compiled document
when I created each chapter file, the error propagated to all of the new
documents.

It's all good now. Thanks for the reminder.

Joe

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> What you are seeing shouldn't happen. Did you make sure to set up heading
> numbering correctly (as explained in the article at
> http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html)?
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Joseph Talbott" <JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a multi-chapter document when has paragraphs numbered 1., 1.1.,
> > 1.1.1., 2., 2.1., etc. where the first digit signifies the chapter. I am
> > using heading styles to organize the numbering in the document and it
> > works
> > well - when all of the chapters are in a single document. To facilitate
> > editing and review, I have broken each chapter into a separate document
> > with
> > the idea that I would either combine them using "Insert File" or
> > "IncludeText" fields. I am also using RD fields to create a master TOC and
> > Index for the "combined" document.
> >
> > I have discovered that, when I break out each chapter to a single
> > document,
> > the paragraph numbers default to 1., 1.1., 1.1.1., etc. no matter what
> > chapter I am in and this is the number that gets brought into the TOC and
> > combined document when I use "Insert File." I have gone back and reset the
> > chapter numbering to start at the appropriate number and I can print it
> > correctly but the paragraph numbering reverts to 1. either when I close or
> > open the document. I have "update fields when printing" unchecked but
> > don't
> > see another toggle that would keep the paragraph numbers from changing.
>

> .

I'm glad you got it sorted!

--

> ueThanks Stefan,
>
> My first response was to say that I carefully followed Shauna's guide when
> set up my numbering scheme but then I thought it might be a good time to
> re-read her article to see if I might pick up something new. Well, that
> was
> it. Somewhere in the process of setting up the single-chapter files, the
> "Automatically update document styles" box on the Templates and Add-ins
> dialogue box got checked and since I made a copy of the compiled document
> when I created each chapter file, the error propagated to all of the new
> documents.
>
> It's all good now. Thanks for the reminder.
>
> Joe
>
> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> What you are seeing shouldn't happen. Did you make sure to set up heading
>> numbering correctly (as explained in the article at
>> http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html)?
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "Joseph Talbott" <JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I have a multi-chapter document when has paragraphs numbered 1., 1.1.,
>> > 1.1.1., 2., 2.1., etc. where the first digit signifies the chapter. I
>> > am
>> > using heading styles to organize the numbering in the document and it
>> > works
>> > well - when all of the chapters are in a single document. To facilitate
>> > editing and review, I have broken each chapter into a separate document
>> > with
>> > the idea that I would either combine them using "Insert File" or
>> > "IncludeText" fields. I am also using RD fields to create a master TOC
>> > and
>> > Index for the "combined" document.
>> >
>> > I have discovered that, when I break out each chapter to a single
>> > document,
>> > the paragraph numbers default to 1., 1.1., 1.1.1., etc. no matter what
>> > chapter I am in and this is the number that gets brought into the TOC
>> > and
>> > combined document when I use "Insert File." I have gone back and reset
>> > the
>> > chapter numbering to start at the appropriate number and I can print it
>> > correctly but the paragraph numbering reverts to 1. either when I close
>> > or
>> > open the document. I have "update fields when printing" unchecked but
>> > don't
>> > see another toggle that would keep the paragraph numbers from changing.
>>

>> .

0
Stefan

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

Paragraph formating jumps to defaults.
Hi, We are using Office/Outlook 2007 We have an email signature script that is run when users login, it´s working ok except for two things; If the default paragraph settings in Word 2007 for a user matches those in the signature script, the signature will use the "Base defaults" of Word 2007, that is SpaceAfter = 10 and LineSpacing = "Multiple" with a value of 1,15. So if I change the script to use SpaceAfter=0 and the user has set his/her Word 2007 to use SpaceAfter=0, the result will be SpaceAfter=10. If the script is set to SpaceAfter=0 and the us...

Running Money 2003 in Vista

punblisher and word prcoessing software
can publisher be used as word processing sofware? Not very successfully, it's a desktop publishing program. If you don't have the $, download and install OpenOffice. OpenOffice Writer is an excellent word processor — very similar to MS Word. "shelagh" <shelagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:834CE68F-4492-466A-91DC-694F807C578C@microsoft.com... > can publisher be used as word processing sofware? It *could* but it's not the best tool for that job. Specifically what do you want to do? -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask...

Monitor Server in 2003?

Outlook 2003
Just bought new PC. Everything is Microsoft. XP Home - Microsoft Works (came installed) - User like to use MSN for e-mail, Sent Microsoft $300.00 to activate Office that came installed on machine. Word will not allow MSN to be the e-mail client. System crashed and burned after activation of Office. Outlook 2003 seems a little unstable. Why would a new PC with Works, Office Express and Outlook 2003 be shipped? All these programs do the same thing and they don't seem to talk with each other well. On top of this all she wants to do is use Word and send the document through MSN nor...

The Bullet Points, And the Paragraph Symbol
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Today I had a problem on MS Word 2008. I opened up the page and went under the note book option for a new document. When it had opened there were bullet points all the way towards the left of the page. Also, after ever line there was a small blue paragraph symbol. If you know how to disable this feature or you can give me some type of hints, please message me back. You have simply toggled the display of non-printing characters. You can toggle them off using the keystroke Command+8, but they are valuable assets when reviewing/...

Retreive document
I have overwritten & saved a document. Is there a way to get back the old ducument if it wasn't saved? Carolyn, Not that I am aware of but you should probably scroll a wee bit further down in the Microsoft interface to the Word newsgroup. -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "Carolyn" <Carolyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BA8FFA7-291B-45FB-90F1-E693DE1F7B53@microsoft.com... I h...

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

Duplicate Rows
I have an extract from a student information system in Excel that looks like this. Student Class Grade Quarter John Chemistry 70 1 John Chemistry 80 2 John Math 95 1 John Math 100 2 Alice Chemistry 67 1 Alice Chemistry 47 2 Alice Math 88 1 Alice Math 85 2 What I would like is this: John 70 80 95 100 Alice 67 47 88 85 However, since there are hundreds of students, this would be an extreme pain to do by hand. Is there any built-in formula or function in Excel that can do this? What is it that you actually want to do? (The best approach depends on what your desired end r...

Table link documentation

SBS 2003 moving of users files

multiple email identities

Format for credit card numbers

limit the number of outgoing messages
Hi, who can I limit the number of concurrent outgoing messages? for example: if I have a queue of 1000 messages, how can I force exchange to send only 50 messages at a time? ...

Exchange 2003 IMAP and Postini

Outlook 2003