Variable data on a fixed page background

I have got a mailer which I have produced and used in the past. The outside 
sheet (a Word doc) has got graphics and text, leaving a space on the sheet 
for the receiver's address. I have an application that produces an RTF file 
of the addresses, each separated by page breaks. In the past, if I had 1000 
addresses in the RTF file, I would print 1000 copies of the fixed background, 
then format the RTF using margin settings to position the address lines 
properly, then run the already-printed sheets through the printer again to 
get the addresses printed. The print shop charges me for 2000 copies. What a 
waste, when I know I should be able to produce a file of 1000 pages 
containing both the background and the variable data.

Trouble is, I can't think of a clever way to do this (even though I have 
proof I accomplished it once before). I am willing and able to write Word 
macros. I tried using text boxes for the addresses (which is how my earlier 
attempt worked), but can't figure out how to get one text box generated 
automatically on each page. I tried using Word's page background feature for 
the fixed portion, but it is a combination of text and graphics, and besides, 
the graphics become washed out. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas.
0
Utf
1/7/2010 3:47:01 AM
word.docmanagement 5542 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
607 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

Hi RizzKid,

From what you've described, you can use Word's Mailmerge facility for this. All you need to do is to set the document up as a 
mailmerge main document, which you link to your address data source, then insert the relevant mailmerge fields where you want them 
to appear on the page. Once you've done that, run the mailmerge.

-- 
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]


"RizzKid" <RizzKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52D02C52-6136-4510-9E62-54A6E388A4AC@microsoft.com...
>I have got a mailer which I have produced and used in the past. The outside
> sheet (a Word doc) has got graphics and text, leaving a space on the sheet
> for the receiver's address. I have an application that produces an RTF file
> of the addresses, each separated by page breaks. In the past, if I had 1000
> addresses in the RTF file, I would print 1000 copies of the fixed background,
> then format the RTF using margin settings to position the address lines
> properly, then run the already-printed sheets through the printer again to
> get the addresses printed. The print shop charges me for 2000 copies. What a
> waste, when I know I should be able to produce a file of 1000 pages
> containing both the background and the variable data.
>
> Trouble is, I can't think of a clever way to do this (even though I have
> proof I accomplished it once before). I am willing and able to write Word
> macros. I tried using text boxes for the addresses (which is how my earlier
> attempt worked), but can't figure out how to get one text box generated
> automatically on each page. I tried using Word's page background feature for
> the fixed portion, but it is a combination of text and graphics, and besides,
> the graphics become washed out. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas. 

0
macropod
1/7/2010 5:16:57 AM
Ah, yes. That's what I must have done in the past. The variable data is 3 or 
four lines per person. I'm sure I did some reformatting with the paragraph 
marks so that I could load it into Excel, then used a mail merge to put the 
four columns into a text box. Is there any way to do this without leaving 
Word to go to Excel and back to Word?

And thanks for you help.

"macropod" wrote:

> Hi RizzKid,
> 
> From what you've described, you can use Word's Mailmerge facility for this. All you need to do is to set the document up as a 
> mailmerge main document, which you link to your address data source, then insert the relevant mailmerge fields where you want them 
> to appear on the page. Once you've done that, run the mailmerge.
> 
> -- 
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
> 
> 
> "RizzKid" <RizzKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52D02C52-6136-4510-9E62-54A6E388A4AC@microsoft.com...
> >I have got a mailer which I have produced and used in the past. The outside
> > sheet (a Word doc) has got graphics and text, leaving a space on the sheet
> > for the receiver's address. I have an application that produces an RTF file
> > of the addresses, each separated by page breaks. In the past, if I had 1000
> > addresses in the RTF file, I would print 1000 copies of the fixed background,
> > then format the RTF using margin settings to position the address lines
> > properly, then run the already-printed sheets through the printer again to
> > get the addresses printed. The print shop charges me for 2000 copies. What a
> > waste, when I know I should be able to produce a file of 1000 pages
> > containing both the background and the variable data.
> >
> > Trouble is, I can't think of a clever way to do this (even though I have
> > proof I accomplished it once before). I am willing and able to write Word
> > macros. I tried using text boxes for the addresses (which is how my earlier
> > attempt worked), but can't figure out how to get one text box generated
> > automatically on each page. I tried using Word's page background feature for
> > the fixed portion, but it is a combination of text and graphics, and besides,
> > the graphics become washed out. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas. 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
1/7/2010 3:28:04 PM
Hi RizzKid,

With a mailmerge, you need two files, the mailmerge :
1. data source
2. main document
The data source may be an Excel spreadsheet, Word table, csv text file, Access database, etc. Once you've set up both the data 
source and the mailmerge main document, the only need you might have to go back & forth between the two is for maintenance - you 
maintain the data in the data source and the document layout in the mailmerge main document.

If you've got multiple records per person, you could use a Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge (the terminology depends on the Word 
version). To see how, check out my Word 97-2007 Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial at:
http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=731107
or
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue%20Mailmerge.zip
Do read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge document included with it.


-- 
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]


"RizzKid" <RizzKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBF3FEC1-D75C-417B-91B0-E7796AFE9EB6@microsoft.com...
> Ah, yes. That's what I must have done in the past. The variable data is 3 or
> four lines per person. I'm sure I did some reformatting with the paragraph
> marks so that I could load it into Excel, then used a mail merge to put the
> four columns into a text box. Is there any way to do this without leaving
> Word to go to Excel and back to Word?
>
> And thanks for you help.
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
>> Hi RizzKid,
>>
>> From what you've described, you can use Word's Mailmerge facility for this. All you need to do is to set the document up as a
>> mailmerge main document, which you link to your address data source, then insert the relevant mailmerge fields where you want 
>> them
>> to appear on the page. Once you've done that, run the mailmerge.
>>
>> -- 
>> Cheers
>> macropod
>> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>>
>>
>> "RizzKid" <RizzKid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52D02C52-6136-4510-9E62-54A6E388A4AC@microsoft.com...
>> >I have got a mailer which I have produced and used in the past. The outside
>> > sheet (a Word doc) has got graphics and text, leaving a space on the sheet
>> > for the receiver's address. I have an application that produces an RTF file
>> > of the addresses, each separated by page breaks. In the past, if I had 1000
>> > addresses in the RTF file, I would print 1000 copies of the fixed background,
>> > then format the RTF using margin settings to position the address lines
>> > properly, then run the already-printed sheets through the printer again to
>> > get the addresses printed. The print shop charges me for 2000 copies. What a
>> > waste, when I know I should be able to produce a file of 1000 pages
>> > containing both the background and the variable data.
>> >
>> > Trouble is, I can't think of a clever way to do this (even though I have
>> > proof I accomplished it once before). I am willing and able to write Word
>> > macros. I tried using text boxes for the addresses (which is how my earlier
>> > attempt worked), but can't figure out how to get one text box generated
>> > automatically on each page. I tried using Word's page background feature for
>> > the fixed portion, but it is a combination of text and graphics, and besides,
>> > the graphics become washed out. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas.
>>
>> .
>> 

0
macropod
1/7/2010 9:24:14 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

hyperlinks in getting external data through web query
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C47E46.231F97A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable =20 The WEB PAGE I am downloading using the WebQuery with <full Html = formatting> is something like the following=20 Symbol Name Last Trade Day's Range Volume More Info =20 ^BSESN SENSEX 3:58pm 5,233.21 5,154.32 - 5,240.29 N/A Chart, Components =20 ACC.BO A C C-A 4:00pm 261.40 255.30 - 262....

insert data after page break
I have page breaks set automatically when department changes. I would like to add data I named "DEPT" after each page break. Can anyone help me!! -- yepidu ...

moving pst data to new outlook
hi to all, i would like to move date from my office system computer to my home system ...i have exported the info and when i go to import the system tell me that i do not have the ok how do i correct this problem ??? thanks for you help You can't import directly from a read-only (eg. cd-r/rw) source. You need to copy the pst file to the hard drive and remove the read-only attribute. oh and one other thing... if the pst file was burned to a cdr/rw at a speed faster than 4x, it might not be readable. "james" <fdijamesm@saturn2.com> wrote in message news:204a401c4591a$4...

Background Text in Excel 2000
I have an old Excel spreadsheet that has some background text that only shows up when I reduce the sheet size to 25%. When I print the document this text does not print. It does not appear that this text is related to any cell data. How can I edit or delete this text? When you reduce the zoom to less than 40%, you get to see the range names. (It's there to help!) Ron Schneider wrote: > > I have an old Excel spreadsheet that has some background > text that only shows up when I reduce the sheet size to > 25%. When I print the document this text does not print. > It do...

when i open a excel doc , it open muiltple page not related?
Hi all, When i double click on a excel doc, muiltiple excel file pop up together. What could be the possible reasons... Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults. greyshark001 wrote: > > Hi all, > When i double click on a excel doc, muiltiple excel file pop up together. > What could be the possible reasons... ...

Updating Data from two different worksheets
I have two worksheets, General Ledger and Out Ledger. The general ledge lists our inventory according to a LOT ID and the total number of item in that lot; i.e. column A: Lot ID, column B: Total Number of Pieces column C: Balance The Out Ledger lists the number of items sold from a particular lot i.e. column A: Lot ID, column B: Number Sold I want to be able to calculate the Balance in the General Ledger give the Number Sold in the Out Ledger. I am having difficulty in makin sure the Lot ID's match up and that the proper cells are referenced. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appr...

excel 2000 doc looks for pages in the local drive b4 opening
My Excel doc is looking for pages of the doc in my local drive b4 opening. I have hit cancel for every page it does not find and then it opens. Other excel docs open with no prob. Doc in question was created by someone else. Any suggestions please? I'm guessing you have links to workbooks on your local drive that can't be found. You're job will be to figure out if you can destroy the links or if you should find the real location and use that. There's an option in Tools|Options|Edit tab that allows you to be prompted if excel should go off and try to update the links (check t...

Data Sychronization Error in CRM Outlook
When I go online with a few of my CRM For Outlook Clients I get a "Data Sychronization Error". I get provided with three options: 1. Proceed with going online, but save the data changes offline for the next time you synchronize 2. Stay offline and try to fix the errors so all the data will synchronize 3. Finish going online and do not save the data changes made offline Thanks, James ...

How to add a singe symbol to the whole column data?
Dear Friends, I have a simple problem. In my spreadsheet there are 8 columns and 18.000 rows. I need to combine two colums "date of birth" and "sample date", but between them there should be "c": Ex: Date of Birth Sample Date [10/01/1960] [10/10/2005] I do not know how to create new column like this: [10/01/1960 c 10/10/2005] Thanks in advance Daniel Try something like this: C1: =A1&" c "&B1 Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "usmleboy" wrote: > Dear F...

Vertical Gridlines & Data Marker
Firstly, I noticed that a vertical gridlines of the chart are not align with the gridlines of the data tables. I am wondering how it can be aligned. Secondly, I also noticed that a marker is located on the leftside virtical gridlines of X scales. I am also wondering how to place it on the center. Hi Gary, In my version of Excel they are. Try it with a line chart. In Excel 2007 you might have to make an adjustment. We need more info. With a data table the markers are placed between the vertical gridlines, if you don't like that you can remove the data table and then format th...

Pull publishers up and only one out of ten pages shows up. Why?
I am using Publisher 2003. I made a booklet and had 60 some odd pages on it, but when I pull it up now only 1 page shows. Why? and what have I done or can do to correct this problem? ...

How do I print my image decently in Visio? So it fits the page?
I'm new to Visio and I was wondering how I print my image so you can actually see it. Right new, when I can actually get it to print, it is just a thumbnail. Otherwise nothing prints at all. I've done everything in the help section, but to no avail. What am I missing? I'd probably start at page setup > page size and see if it is checked for same as printer setup al "Scottyboy" <Scottyboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E6D694A-BF76-47A3-993C-50A0D32ABC7C@microsoft.com... > I'm new to Visio and I was wondering how I print my image s...

Excel
How do I print multiple worksheets (from one workbook) on one page in Excel? IMHO, it would probably be best to create a "consolidation" sheet in the workbook using formula references to the material on the other sheets. Design that sheet the way you want to be able to print your "report" and define that as your print range. Hope this is useful |:>) "BGA" wrote: > How do I print multiple worksheets (from one workbook) on one page in Excel? ...

Using OL'98 'Outlook Bar' to manage files causes invalid page fault
I setup the outlook bar w/ shortcuts to different folders (local & network) so that I could use it instead of windows explorer. The first time I set this up, it worked fine for a couple of days, and now all I get is illegal operations when I click on one of the short cuts. OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 015f:bff9d709. Any suggestions? I've already tried the suggestions on MS- OL98 troubleshooting tips re: this problem. It fixed it for about 2 seconds. Looking for permanent fix ezroller ...

All data on pivot table rows
The table below is an example of a pivot table query. Is there some option that I can select that will cause each line to contain all values (e.g. Row 2 Column 1 would contain 16/03 and Row 2 Column 2 would contain Mon, and so on). 16/03 Mon Admin 0.4 C2000 0.6 Dale 8.3 Tue Dale 7.5 Wed Admin 0.9 Dale 7.5 Thu ACM 0.5 Dale 8.5 Fri ACM 1 Admin 1 Dale 6.1 The row headings show once in...

VBA code to Add data to exsiting worksheet
Hi, I got this code from the net, but I wish to modify it so that it ca add data to the exsiting Master sheet whenever a new worksheet has bee added to the exsiting workbook which already contain other sheets. also try with the Function LastRow but it didn't give the results want. :confused: I hope some experts can please kindly help to take look to modify the codes. Any similar ideas also accepted. Thankyou very much for any guides. The codes are as below: Option Explicit Sub CopyRange() Dim sh As Worksheet Dim DestSh As Worksheet Dim Last As Long If SheetExists("Master&quo...

Reference Variable in multiple Subs
Reference Variable in multiple Subs Hello, I=92m trying to accomplish the following: Sub WriteQuery() Dim strSQL as String strSQL =3D _ =93Select * from myTable=94 End Sub Sub RunQuery() Docmd.RunSQL(strSQL) =91won=92t run because variable not defined in immediate sub End Sub It=92s a simplified example, but I=92m trying to reference a variable (that=92s set in one sub) in another sub=85can I do this in some manner? Thanks, alex Try declaring strSQL at the very top of the module as Public or Private variable. Option Compare Database Option Explicit Dim strSQ...

problem saving changes to web page in publisher 2003
I have a website that I created in pub 2003. I make changes to my original document, publish it to the web and then follow the procedure to upload it to the host site. Every page EXCEPT the first page (my home page) will save. I can not get the home page to save. When I go into the index files I see all the pages except my first page. Can someone PLEASE help me! I am getting so frustrated. I have tried everything. I appreciate your input! ...

Pivot table, dynamic data formula
I set up a dynamic formula as noted on the Contextures website <http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html#Dynamic> . I have multiple pivot tables in my worksheet. I would like to set up the pivot tables so they refer to the 1st pivot table, which references the dynamic formula range. In the pivot table wizard,when I change the data source for each of the pivot tables to the 1st pivot table, click "finish" and go back into the wizard to see what data the table is referring to, it always comes up with the dynamic formula, not the 1st pivot table. I believe the dra...

FRx reports with Analytical Accounting data
Hi, Does anyone know if we could create and manage FRx reports with Analytical Accounting data? Any idea of where could I find a demo or better, download a trial version? Any comments or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Erika Yes, you can use FRx to report on AA data. From what I've seen it's the best tool. I've had the best luck using trees in FRx to break out the different dimension values. I will e-mail you a sample FRx catalog I created. You can import it into your specification set and see what I did. "Erika Okrassa" wrote: > Hi, &...

Fixed Asset
Hi, anyone out there figure out a way to add the Fixed Asset ID using a next number instead of the user having to go through the FA listing and look at the last number to setup the next number? Thanks, It's really a matter of writing a customization or purchasing a tool like EthoTech's Next Numeric Collection. -- Charles Allen, MVP "cal" wrote: > Hi, anyone out there figure out a way to add the Fixed Asset ID using a next > number instead of the user having to go through the FA listing and look at > the last number to setup the next number? > >...

Delete page without messing up graphics on subsequent pages.
I have a 56 page file - training document and need to delete page 43. When I do, the graphics from pages 44 - 56 are all in the wrong spot. I have them set up as exact position. When I try to do inline position with text, they disappear and I can't move them. Any suggestions for making this happen? -- Tracy Publisher booklets work in groups of four. 56 pages is 14 sheets of stock, when you delete an odd page everything is out of whack from page 44 on... You will have three odd pages on the end of your project, consequently it will not print correctly. How about creating a box, fi...

Excel program not printing all pages...
I have a program for work that is several pages in length. All of a sudden, I am only able to print the second of three pages. Before, I was able to hit print and the whole document printed. I didn't intentionally select cells/rows--so how did I get locked into this? I'm so frustrated! This only happens in my Excel documents. Hi Farmradiogirl, > I have a program for work that is several pages in length. All of a sudden, I > am only able to print the second of three pages. Before, I was able to hit > print and the whole document printed. I didn't intentionally selec...

combo box and "save as web page"
I have a worksheet with a combo box. I save the worksheet as web page with interactivity added. Te resulting htm page works fine bu the combo list disappears. I have used combo box from from the forms toolbars, from the control toolbars and a validation list. None o them works on the save htm page. Can some help me. ...

Function to return a number of fixed length
Hello, I seem to recall (or maybe dreamed of) a function that reterns a number to a fixed length. For example, if the number in question is 25 and the required length is 4, then the output of the function would be 0025. I realise this can be achieved with cell formatting, but I required this in a function if possible. Kind regards Hi One way =LEFT(REPT("0",10),4-LEN(A1))&A1 -- Regards Roger Govier <tryfanman@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:1170844229.353427.149590@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I seem to recall (or maybe dreamed of)...