Strange behaviour: show/hide formatting symbols reveals old change

In Word 2007, I'm getting some strange behaviour in a document that was
authored by someone else. Track Changes is switched off, all changes have
been accepted, and everything looks as it should in whichever view I happen
to choose (Print Layout, Draft, whatever). But when I click to show
formatting symbols (in whatever view) a whole lot of old changes - deletions
AND insertions, ostensibly all accepted, and from before the document got to
me - appear in the document, making it quite tricky to work with. These old
changes are impervious to anything I try to do with them

Editing the document, I can get by - with some inconvenience - provided I
keep formatting symbols hidden, and the document seems to print OK, but it
would be good to clean out these junk changes before I return the edited
document to the author.

The only way I have managed to get rid of the junk changes is to copy and
paste to a new document as unformatted text, but it isn't feasible to do this
for 150 pages and lose all the formatting.

Has anyone else come across this sort of thing? Any suggestions for cleaning
things up?

When you use the Next/Previous Change arrows, does it report that
there are no tracked changes in the document?

What happens when you choose Accept All Changes from the dropdown
below the big Accept Change icon in the Ribbon?

If somehow the changes have turned into static text, you could do two
Find/Replace operations. If they're indicated in the default way,
simply Find all text formatted as Red and Strikethrough (Ctril-H >
More > Format > Font), and Replace All with nothing (leave the Replace
box empty); then Find all text formatted as Red and Underlined and
format the Replace box with color Automatic and No Underline (you can
get No Underline by pressing Ctrl-U twice with the cursor in the box,
as well as in the Font panel).

On Jan 12, 7:09=A0am, David Newmarch
<DavidNewma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> In Word 2007, I'm getting some strange behaviour in a document that was
> authored by someone else. Track Changes is switched off, all changes have
> been accepted, and everything looks as it should in whichever view I happ=
en
> to choose (Print Layout, Draft, whatever). But when I click to show
> formatting symbols (in whatever view) a whole lot of old changes - deleti=
ons
> AND insertions, ostensibly all accepted, and from before the document got=
> me - appear in the document, making it quite tricky to work with. These o=
ld
> changes are impervious to anything I try to do with them
>
> Editing the document, I can get by - with some inconvenience - provided I
> keep formatting symbols hidden, and the document seems to print OK, but i=
> would be good to clean out these junk changes before I return the edited
> document to the author.
>
> The only way I have managed to get rid of the junk changes is to copy and
> paste to a new document as unformatted text, but it isn't feasible to do =
this
> for 150 pages and lose all the formatting.
>
> Has anyone else come across this sort of thing? Any suggestions for clean=
ing
> things up?

0
Peter
1/12/2010 1:31:19 PM
It would appear that the text has been formatted as Hidden. A previous user
has done this instead of using Track Changes. You should be able to delete
the Hidden text when it is displayed, and it won't come back.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"David Newmarch" <DavidNewmarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Word 2007, I'm getting some strange behaviour in a document that was
> authored by someone else. Track Changes is switched off, all changes have
> been accepted, and everything looks as it should in whichever view I
> happen
> to choose (Print Layout, Draft, whatever). But when I click to show
> formatting symbols (in whatever view) a whole lot of old changes -
> deletions
> AND insertions, ostensibly all accepted, and from before the document got
> me - appear in the document, making it quite tricky to work with. These
> old
> changes are impervious to anything I try to do with them
>
> Editing the document, I can get by - with some inconvenience - provided I
> keep formatting symbols hidden, and the document seems to print OK, but it
> would be good to clean out these junk changes before I return the edited
> document to the author.
>
> The only way I have managed to get rid of the junk changes is to copy and
> paste to a new document as unformatted text, but it isn't feasible to do
> this
> for 150 pages and lose all the formatting.
>
> Has anyone else come across this sort of thing? Any suggestions for
> cleaning
> things up?

0
Suzanne
1/12/2010 1:38:17 PM
Thanks Suzanne, you hit the nail on the head!

I should have been able to spot this using Reveal Formatting, but that was
one thing that somehow just didn't occur to me. Find and Replace then quickly
cleaned it all up. Maybe I will discover in due course why the author tried
to do things that way.

And thanks, too, Peter - though that wasn't quite the problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> It would appear that the text has been formatted as Hidden. A previous user
> has done this instead of using Track Changes. You should be able to delete
> the Hidden text when it is displayed, and it won't come back.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "David Newmarch" <DavidNewmarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In Word 2007, I'm getting some strange behaviour in a document that was
> > authored by someone else. Track Changes is switched off, all changes have
> > been accepted, and everything looks as it should in whichever view I
> > happen
> > to choose (Print Layout, Draft, whatever). But when I click to show
> > formatting symbols (in whatever view) a whole lot of old changes -
> > deletions
> > AND insertions, ostensibly all accepted, and from before the document got
> > me - appear in the document, making it quite tricky to work with. These
> > old
> > changes are impervious to anything I try to do with them
> >
> > Editing the document, I can get by - with some inconvenience - provided I
> > keep formatting symbols hidden, and the document seems to print OK, but it
> > would be good to clean out these junk changes before I return the edited
> > document to the author.
> >
> > The only way I have managed to get rid of the junk changes is to copy and
> > paste to a new document as unformatted text, but it isn't feasible to do
> > this
> > for 150 pages and lose all the formatting.
> >
> > Has anyone else come across this sort of thing? Any suggestions for
> > cleaning
> > things up?
>
> .

When you Show Hidden Text, it should have purple dotted underlining.

Also, how were insertions vs. deletions indicated?

On Jan 12, 3:45=A0pm, David Newmarch
<DavidNewma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks Suzanne, you hit the nail on the head!
>
> I should have been able to spot this using Reveal Formatting, but that wa=
> one thing that somehow just didn't occur to me. Find and Replace then qui=
ckly
> cleaned it all up. Maybe I will discover in due course why the author tri=
ed
> to do things that way.
>
> And thanks, too, Peter - though that wasn't quite the problem.
>

> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
> > It would appear that the text has been formatted as Hidden. A previous =
user
> > has done this instead of using Track Changes. You should be able to del=
ete
> > the Hidden text when it is displayed, and it won't come back.
>
> > --
> > Suzanne S. Barnhill
> > Microsoft MVP (Word)
> > Words into Type
> > Fairhope, Alabama USA
> >http://word.mvps.org
>
> > "David Newmarch" <DavidNewma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes=
sage
> > > In Word 2007, I'm getting some strange behaviour in a document that w=
as
> > > authored by someone else. Track Changes is switched off, all changes =
have
> > > been accepted, and everything looks as it should in whichever view I
> > > happen
> > > to choose (Print Layout, Draft, whatever). But when I click to show
> > > formatting symbols (in whatever view) a whole lot of old changes -
> > > deletions
> > > AND insertions, ostensibly all accepted, and from before the document=
 got
> > > me - appear in the document, making it quite tricky to work with. The=
se
> > > old
> > > changes are impervious to anything I try to do with them
>
> > > Editing the document, I can get by - with some inconvenience - provid=
ed I
> > > keep formatting symbols hidden, and the document seems to print OK, b=
ut it
> > > would be good to clean out these junk changes before I return the edi=
ted
> > > document to the author.
>
> > > The only way I have managed to get rid of the junk changes is to copy=
 and
> > > paste to a new document as unformatted text, but it isn't feasible to=
 do
> > > this
> > > for 150 pages and lose all the formatting.
>
> > > Has anyone else come across this sort of thing? Any suggestions for
> > > cleaning
> > > things up?
0
Peter
1/12/2010 10:11:56 PM
Hi Peter, and I appreciate your help. Yes, there is dotted underlining for
what turned out to be hidden text (though it looks black rather than purple).
That's something I hadn't previously encountered, and which I am glad to have
now learnt about.

As for insertions vs deletions, I guess they were in the end really all
deletions: repeated deletions, insertions, and redeletions, all ending up as
the hidden text - making it a real jumble - with the "final" text unhidden.
How that all came about is a mystery. As far as I know the author used Word
2007, though it may well turn out that she and/or her advisor were under some
strange misapprehension about how to track changes. But at least I'm glad to
have learned something new myself, and I shall in turn advise her with all
due humility!

Thanks very much for your input. It was good you you to spend the time.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> When you Show Hidden Text, it should have purple dotted underlining.
>
> Also, how were insertions vs. deletions indicated?
>
> On Jan 12, 3:45 pm, David Newmarch
> <DavidNewma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Suzanne, you hit the nail on the head!
> >
> > I should have been able to spot this using Reveal Formatting, but that was
> > one thing that somehow just didn't occur to me. Find and Replace then quickly
> > cleaned it all up. Maybe I will discover in due course why the author tried
> > to do things that way.
> >
> > And thanks, too, Peter - though that wasn't quite the problem.
> >

> > "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
> > > It would appear that the text has been formatted as Hidden. A previous user
> > > has done this instead of using Track Changes. You should be able to delete
> > > the Hidden text when it is displayed, and it won't come back.
> >
> > > --
> > > Suzanne S. Barnhill
> > > Microsoft MVP (Word)
> > > Words into Type
> > > Fairhope, Alabama USA
> > >http://word.mvps.org
> >
> > > "David Newmarch" <DavidNewma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> .

Make that "good OF you.."!
The dotted underline *is* black. Purple dotted underlines indicate smart
tags.

--

> Hi Peter, and I appreciate your help. Yes, there is dotted underlining for
> what turned out to be hidden text (though it looks black rather than
> purple).
> That's something I hadn't previously encountered, and which I am glad to
> have
> now learnt about.
>
> As for insertions vs deletions, I guess they were in the end really all
> deletions: repeated deletions, insertions, and redeletions, all ending up
> as
> the hidden text - making it a real jumble - with the "final" text
> unhidden.
> How that all came about is a mystery. As far as I know the author used
> Word
> 2007, though it may well turn out that she and/or her advisor were under
> some
> strange misapprehension about how to track changes. But at least I'm glad
> have learned something new myself, and I shall in turn advise her with all
> due humility!
>
> Thanks very much for your input. It was good you you to spend the time.
>
> "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
>
>> When you Show Hidden Text, it should have purple dotted underlining.
>>
>> Also, how were insertions vs. deletions indicated?
>>
>> On Jan 12, 3:45 pm, David Newmarch
>> <DavidNewma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks Suzanne, you hit the nail on the head!
>> >
>> > I should have been able to spot this using Reveal Formatting, but that
>> > was
>> > one thing that somehow just didn't occur to me. Find and Replace then
>> > quickly
>> > cleaned it all up. Maybe I will discover in due course why the author
>> > tried
>> > to do things that way.
>> >
>> > And thanks, too, Peter - though that wasn't quite the problem.

>> .

0
Suzanne
1/13/2010 1:51:57 PM
I don't use either one ... but if he'd mentioned their presence, his
diagnosis would have been a lot easier!

On Jan 13, 8:51=A0am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> The dotted underline *is* black. Purple dotted underlines indicate smart
> tags.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "David Newmarch" <DavidNewma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa=
ge

> > Hi Peter, and I appreciate your help. Yes, there is dotted underlining =
for
> > what turned out to be hidden text (though it looks black rather than
> > purple).
> > That's something I hadn't previously encountered, and which I am glad t=
> > have
> > now learnt about.
>
> > As for insertions vs deletions, I guess they were in the end really all
> > deletions: repeated deletions, insertions, and redeletions, all ending =
up
> > as
> > the hidden text - making it a real jumble - with the "final" text
> > unhidden.
> > How that all came about is a mystery. As far as I know the author used
> > Word
> > 2007, though it may well turn out that she and/or her advisor were unde=
> > some
> > strange misapprehension about how to track changes. But at least I'm gl=
ad
> > have learned something new myself, and I shall in turn advise her with =
all
> > due humility!
>
> > Thanks very much for your input. It was good you you to spend the time.
>
> > "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
>
> >> When you Show Hidden Text, it should have purple dotted underlining.
>
> >> Also, how were insertions vs. deletions indicated?

OK,

0
Peter
1/13/2010 2:04:54 PM
The fact that the text showed up only when nonprinting characters were
displayed was a dead giveaway for me.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

On Jan 13, 8:51 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> The dotted underline *is* black. Purple dotted underlines indicate smart
> tags.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "David Newmarch" <DavidNewma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message

> > Hi Peter, and I appreciate your help. Yes, there is dotted underlining
> > for
> > what turned out to be hidden text (though it looks black rather than
> > purple).
> > That's something I hadn't previously encountered, and which I am glad to
> > have
> > now learnt about.
>
> > As for insertions vs deletions, I guess they were in the end really all
> > deletions: repeated deletions, insertions, and redeletions, all ending
> > up
> > as
> > the hidden text - making it a real jumble - with the "final" text
> > unhidden.
> > How that all came about is a mystery. As far as I know the author used
> > Word
> > 2007, though it may well turn out that she and/or her advisor were under
> > some
> > strange misapprehension about how to track changes. But at least I'm
> > glad
> > have learned something new myself, and I shall in turn advise her with
> > all
> > due humility!
>
> > Thanks very much for your input. It was good you you to spend the time.
>
> > "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
>
> >> When you Show Hidden Text, it should have purple dotted underlining.
>
> >> Also, how were insertions vs. deletions indicated?

0
Suzanne

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Territory Change

chart MAcro to change on activecell

Changing font in Money 2004 register?

Fractions Number format

Showing 3:54PM instead of 3:54:03PM

Changing language

Doesn't show busy,when scheduling meeting
Hello I have a user, who has meetings scheduled and shows up in her Calendar fine. But, when she or someone else tries to schedule new meeting, invite her, it doesn't show her busy schedule. It indicates as if she is available all time. Secondly, when she edits the meeting and marks as "Out of Office", than it shows up as busy. Her Out of Office is Off. Outlook 2000 with Exchange corporate setup. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks ...

Strange problem
We have been rolling out new Windows 7 workstations (all new computers) at work over the last few months and a strange problem has developed. Prior to Windows 7 we were using Windows XP with Office 2007. The problem is, we have a workbook which uses a UserForm for filling in all required information. Prior to rolling out the new Windows 7 workstations, the workbook and UserForm were working flawlessly (for over a year) and they still work flawlessly on the first 3 Windows 7 workstations but on the last 2 workstations we rolled out if you open the UserForm and leave it open for ...

Date format 04-11-06

Symbol Updating Only Every Few Days (if at all)
Using Money 2006, and have a symbol "VLO" that is only updating every few days. This stock was a duplicate (downloaded transaction created a new version of the same stock - my fault not clicking correct choice when asked). I've removed the symbol from the stock entry that was downloaded, renamed this entry to something bogus, deleting this renamed stock "from all accounts", then added the symbol back to the original VLO stock that I've been tracking for years. Now the stock just says "unch" in the portfolio view, and the price history is only updat...