Searching for text boxes

Is there a way to search for text boxes within a word (Microsoft Office
Professional Edition 2003 version) document?  Searching for "graphics" does
not do the trick.  I can't find anyone who can figure this out.  Thank you!

What do you want to do when you find them.

Running the following macro will find them

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
    For i = 1 To .Shapes.Count
        If .Shapes(i).Type = msoTextBox Then
            .Shapes(i).Select
            MsgBox "The selected shape is a text box."
        End If
    Next i
End With

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to search for text boxes within a word (Microsoft Office
> Professional Edition 2003 version) document?  Searching for "graphics"
> does
> not do the trick.  I can't find anyone who can figure this out.  Thank
> you!

0
Doug
12/16/2009 1:41:52 AM
Doug, thank you for your response -- however, I don't understand you.  When I
do a scan cleanup --sometimes using Omnipro-- I want to be able to search for
all the text boxes in the document.  How do I run the macro you posted below?
 Do I go to "Tools", "Macros" and then do something?  If possible, please
explain.  Thanks, Chad.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> What do you want to do when you find them.
>
> Running the following macro will find them
>
> Dim i As Long
> With ActiveDocument
>     For i = 1 To .Shapes.Count
>         If .Shapes(i).Type = msoTextBox Then
>             .Shapes(i).Select
>             MsgBox "The selected shape is a text box."
>         End If
>     Next i
> End With
>

> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>
> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on
> a paid professional basis.
>
> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to search for text boxes within a word (Microsoft Office
> > Professional Edition 2003 version) document?  Searching for "graphics"
> > does
> > not do the trick.  I can't find anyone who can figure this out.  Thank
> > you!

See the article "What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup
readers to help me out?” at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

--

> Doug, thank you for your response -- however, I don't understand you.
> When I
> do a scan cleanup --sometimes using Omnipro-- I want to be able to search
> for
> all the text boxes in the document.  How do I run the macro you posted
> below?
> Do I go to "Tools", "Macros" and then do something?  If possible, please
> explain.  Thanks, Chad.
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> What do you want to do when you find them.
>>
>> Running the following macro will find them
>>
>> Dim i As Long
>> With ActiveDocument
>>     For i = 1 To .Shapes.Count
>>         If .Shapes(i).Type = msoTextBox Then
>>             .Shapes(i).Select
>>             MsgBox "The selected shape is a text box."
>>         End If
>>     Next i
>> End With
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>>
>> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
>> on
>> a paid professional basis.
>>
>> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to search for text boxes within a word (Microsoft Office
>> > Professional Edition 2003 version) document?  Searching for "graphics"
>> > does
>> > not do the trick.  I can't find anyone who can figure this out.  Thank
>> > you!

0
Doug
12/16/2009 5:43:35 AM
Doug, thanks again for your reply.  I read the article and I was able to
figure it out.  However, I created a document with 20 boxes.  The search
macro that is listed here doesn't take me from box to box.  Is that the fault
of the macro?  Could you try a simple test and let me know please?  Thank
you.  Chad.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> See the article "What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup
> readers to help me out?” at:
> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm
>

> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>
> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on
> a paid professional basis.
>
> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Doug, thank you for your response -- however, I don't understand you.
> > When I
> > do a scan cleanup --sometimes using Omnipro-- I want to be able to search
> > for
> > all the text boxes in the document.  How do I run the macro you posted
> > below?
> > Do I go to "Tools", "Macros" and then do something?  If possible, please
> > explain.  Thanks, Chad.
> >
> > "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> What do you want to do when you find them.
> >>
> >> Running the following macro will find them
> >>
> >> Dim i As Long
> >> With ActiveDocument
> >>     For i = 1 To .Shapes.Count
> >>         If .Shapes(i).Type = msoTextBox Then
> >>             .Shapes(i).Select
> >>             MsgBox "The selected shape is a text box."
> >>         End If
> >>     Next i
> >> End With
> >>

> >> --
> >> Hope this helps,
> >>
> >> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
> >>
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
> >> on
> >> a paid professional basis.
> >>
> >> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I did test the macro before I sent it.  Exactly what type of Text boxes are
you talking about?  How were they inserted into the document?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

> Doug, thanks again for your reply.  I read the article and I was able to
> figure it out.  However, I created a document with 20 boxes.  The search
> macro that is listed here doesn't take me from box to box.  Is that the
> fault
> of the macro?  Could you try a simple test and let me know please?  Thank
> you.  Chad.
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> See the article "What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup
>> readers to help me out?” at:
>> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>>
>> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
>> on
>> a paid professional basis.
>>
>> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Doug, thank you for your response -- however, I don't understand you.
>> > When I
>> > do a scan cleanup --sometimes using Omnipro-- I want to be able to
>> > search
>> > for
>> > all the text boxes in the document.  How do I run the macro you posted
>> > below?
>> > Do I go to "Tools", "Macros" and then do something?  If possible,
>> > please
>> > explain.  Thanks, Chad.

0
Doug
12/16/2009 10:26:57 AM
Doug, here's the problem.  I have to convert huge documents from pdf into
Word.  I use Omni pro and the document ends up with many many text boxes and
I want to be able to search for them going down the document from one to the
next, in the same way that you would search for any word.  The macro you gave
me here did work.  It would take me to a text box.  But it kept going back to
the same box.  I want the macro to search for the first text box and then,
when I run the macro again from that point, I want it to go to the next text
box.  It wasn't doing that.  I don't know if that's the fault of the macro or
of my ignorance in using it.

Thanks,
Chad.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> I did test the macro before I sent it.  Exactly what type of Text boxes are
> you talking about?  How were they inserted into the document?
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Doug, thanks again for your reply.  I read the article and I was able to
> > figure it out.  However, I created a document with 20 boxes.  The search
> > macro that is listed here doesn't take me from box to box.  Is that the
> > fault
> > of the macro?  Could you try a simple test and let me know please?  Thank
> > you.  Chad.
> >
> > "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> See the article "What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup
> >> readers to help me out?” at:
> >> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Hope this helps,
> >>
> >> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
> >>
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
> >> on
> >> a paid professional basis.
> >>
> >> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The following might work for you

Dim i As Long
Dim myrange As Range
Set myrange = Selection.Range
myrange.End = ActiveDocument.Range.End
With myrange
    If .ShapeRange.Count > 0 Then
        For i = 1 To .ShapeRange.Count
            If .ShapeRange(i).Type = msoTextBox Then
                .ShapeRange(i).Select
                MsgBox "The selected shape is a text box."
                Exit Sub
            End If
        Next i
    End If
End With

You will have to move the selection out of the text box before running it
again and it will only pick up one shape per shape anchor location.

--

> Doug, here's the problem.  I have to convert huge documents from pdf into
> Word.  I use Omni pro and the document ends up with many many text boxes
> and
> I want to be able to search for them going down the document from one to
> the
> next, in the same way that you would search for any word.  The macro you
> gave
> me here did work.  It would take me to a text box.  But it kept going back
> the same box.  I want the macro to search for the first text box and then,
> when I run the macro again from that point, I want it to go to the next
> text
> box.  It wasn't doing that.  I don't know if that's the fault of the macro
> or
> of my ignorance in using it.
>
> Thanks,
> Chad.
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> I did test the macro before I sent it.  Exactly what type of Text boxes
>> are
>> you talking about?  How were they inserted into the document?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Doug, thanks again for your reply.  I read the article and I was able
>> > figure it out.  However, I created a document with 20 boxes.  The
>> > search
>> > macro that is listed here doesn't take me from box to box.  Is that the
>> > fault
>> > of the macro?  Could you try a simple test and let me know please?
>> > Thank
>> > you.  Chad.

0
Doug
12/17/2009 2:21:30 AM
Hi Doug.  Thanks again for the effort.  I used the macro you put here... but
it's the same problem.  It does find the first text box.  Then I move the
cursor after that first text box and hit "Alt+F8" "Run" and that's where the
snag is.  It doesn't take me to the next text box.  It takes me to the last
text box.  And actually it doesn't take me anywhere... in other words, the
cursor simply disappears.  I then click on the page where I am and hit "Shift
F5" to go to the previous location -- this was my workaround to find where
the cursor was last.... and that's when it takes me to the last text box.  I
wish the macro simply took me to the text boxes in the order that they are in
the document.  Any further tweaking of that macro would be helpful.  Thanks.
Chad.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> The following might work for you
>
> Dim i As Long
> Dim myrange As Range
> Set myrange = Selection.Range
> myrange.End = ActiveDocument.Range.End
> With myrange
>     If .ShapeRange.Count > 0 Then
>         For i = 1 To .ShapeRange.Count
>             If .ShapeRange(i).Type = msoTextBox Then
>                 .ShapeRange(i).Select
>                 MsgBox "The selected shape is a text box."
>                 Exit Sub
>             End If
>         Next i
>     End If
> End With
>
> You will have to move the selection out of the text box before running it
> again and it will only pick up one shape per shape anchor location.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>
> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on
> a paid professional basis.
>
> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Doug, here's the problem.  I have to convert huge documents from pdf into
> > Word.  I use Omni pro and the document ends up with many many text boxes
> > and
> > I want to be able to search for them going down the document from one to
> > the
> > next, in the same way that you would search for any word.  The macro you
> > gave
> > me here did work.  It would take me to a text box.  But it kept going back
> > the same box.  I want the macro to search for the first text box and then,
> > when I run the macro again from that point, I want it to go to the next
> > text
> > box.  It wasn't doing that.  I don't know if that's the fault of the macro
> > or
> > of my ignorance in using it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chad.
> >
> > "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> I did test the macro before I sent it.  Exactly what type of Text boxes
> >> are
> >> you talking about?  How were they inserted into the document?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> >> services on a paid consulting basis.

> >> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It might be simpler with an application that formats with text boxes to scan
to plain text (which does not support then) and add your own formatting - or
to use an OCR software package that does not use text boxes such as
FineReader. Doesn't OmniPage have an option not to use text boxes?
Attempting to remove the formatting by simply removing the text boxes (which
may not be text boxes but frames) will result in a hell of a lot of work and
cannot readily be achieved with a macro.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> [...]
>> > into
>> > Word.  I use Omni pro and the document ends up with many many text
>> > boxes
>> > and
>> > I want to be able to search for them going down the document from one
>> > the
>> > next, in the same way that you would search for any word.  The macro
>> > you
>> > gave
>> > me here did work.  It would take me to a text box.  But it kept going
>> > back
>> > the same box.  I want the macro to search for the first text box and
>> > then,
>> > when I run the macro again from that point, I want it to go to the next
>> > text
>> > box.  It wasn't doing that.  I don't know if that's the fault of the

0
Graham
12/17/2009 6:27:05 AM
Graham, thanks for your response.

Actually, I simply want to find all the text boxes and then delete them.  A
lot of the times they are in footers, as well.  Being able to search for text
boxes, the same way you can search for, say, any word or any style would be
so helpful.  I know that you can search for graphics in a document.  I wonder
why an option for searching for text boxes isn't also available?  Anyhow, I
guess I'll just have to live with it as is.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> It might be simpler with an application that formats with text boxes to scan
> to plain text (which does not support then) and add your own formatting - or
> to use an OCR software package that does not use text boxes such as
> FineReader. Doesn't OmniPage have an option not to use text boxes?
> Attempting to remove the formatting by simply removing the text boxes (which
> may not be text boxes but frames) will result in a hell of a lot of work and
> cannot readily be achieved with a macro.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Doug.  Thanks again for the effort.  I used the macro you put here...
> > but
> > it's the same problem.  It does find the first text box.  Then I move the
> > cursor after that first text box and hit "Alt+F8" "Run" and that's where
> > the
> > snag is.  It doesn't take me to the next text box.  It takes me to the
> > last
> > text box.  And actually it doesn't take me anywhere... in other words, the
> > cursor simply disappears.  I then click on the page where I am and hit
> > "Shift
> > F5" to go to the previous location -- this was my workaround to find where
> > the cursor was last.... and that's when it takes me to the last text box.
> > wish the macro simply took me to the text boxes in the order that they are
> > in
> > the document.  Any further tweaking of that macro would be helpful.
> > Thanks.
> > Chad.
> >
> > "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> The following might work for you
> >>
> >> Dim i As Long
> >> Dim myrange As Range
> >> Set myrange = Selection.Range
> >> myrange.End = ActiveDocument.Range.End
> >> With myrange
> >>     If .ShapeRange.Count > 0 Then
> >>         For i = 1 To .ShapeRange.Count
> >>             If .ShapeRange(i).Type = msoTextBox Then
> >>                 .ShapeRange(i).Select
> >>                 MsgBox "The selected shape is a text box."
> >>                 Exit Sub
> >>             End If
> >>         Next i
> >>     End If
> >> End With
> >>
> >> You will have to move the selection out of the text box before running it
> >> again and it will only pick up one shape per shape anchor location.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps,
> >>
> >> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
> >>
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
> >> on
> >> a paid professional basis.
> >>
> >> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> .

A while ago, I exported some text from a pdf into a Word file, and a
lot of it was in text boxes (or maybe frames), and someone here
suggested Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Q. It worked.

On Dec 17, 10:42=A0pm, Chad Williams
<ChadWilli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Graham, thanks for your response.
>
> Actually, I simply want to find all the text boxes and then delete them. =
=A0A
> lot of the times they are in footers, as well. =A0Being able to search fo=
r text
> boxes, the same way you can search for, say, any word or any style would =
be
> so helpful. =A0I know that you can search for graphics in a document. =A0=
I wonder
> why an option for searching for text boxes isn't also available? =A0Anyho=
w, I
> guess I'll just have to live with it as is.
>

> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
> > It might be simpler with an application that formats with text boxes to=
 scan
> > to plain text (which does not support then) and add your own formatting=
 - or
> > to use an OCR software package that does not use text boxes such as
> > FineReader. Doesn't OmniPage have an option not to use text boxes?
> > Attempting to remove the formatting by simply removing the text boxes (=
which
> > may not be text boxes but frames) will result in a hell of a lot of wor=
k and
> > cannot readily be achieved with a macro.
>
> > --
> > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> > Graham Mayor - =A0Word MVP
>
> > My web sitewww.gmayor.com
> > Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
> > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>
> > "Chad Williams" <ChadWilli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa=
ge
> > > Hi Doug. =A0Thanks again for the effort. =A0I used the macro you put =
here...
> > > but
> > > it's the same problem. =A0It does find the first text box. =A0Then I =
move the
> > > cursor after that first text box and hit "Alt+F8" "Run" and that's wh=
ere
> > > the
> > > snag is. =A0It doesn't take me to the next text box. =A0It takes me t=
o the
> > > last
> > > text box. =A0And actually it doesn't take me anywhere... in other wor=
ds, the
> > > cursor simply disappears. =A0I then click on the page where I am and =
hit
> > > "Shift
> > > F5" to go to the previous location -- this was my workaround to find =
where
> > > the cursor was last.... and that's when it takes me to the last text =
box.
> > > wish the macro simply took me to the text boxes in the order that the=
y are
> > > in
> > > the document. =A0Any further tweaking of that macro would be helpful.
> > > Thanks.
> > > Chad.

0
Peter
12/18/2009 4:11:09 AM
'Text boxes'  can be in line or floating and may not be text boxes but
frames or even table cells or a combination of all of them. They all require
different methods or handling. The macro suggested by Doug would deal with
normally inserted text boxes. If it doesn'y there is some other issue
involved. If you want to send me (one page of) your document to look at I
may be in a better position to advise on how to deal with them. Use the link
on the home page of my web site. Don't change the message title or the
message and attachment will be discarded.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Graham, thanks for your response.
>
> Actually, I simply want to find all the text boxes and then delete them.
> lot of the times they are in footers, as well.  Being able to search for
> text
> boxes, the same way you can search for, say, any word or any style would
> be
> so helpful.  I know that you can search for graphics in a document.  I
> wonder
> why an option for searching for text boxes isn't also available?  Anyhow,
> guess I'll just have to live with it as is.
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> It might be simpler with an application that formats with text boxes to
>> scan
>> to plain text (which does not support then) and add your own formatting -
>> or
>> to use an OCR software package that does not use text boxes such as
>> FineReader. Doesn't OmniPage have an option not to use text boxes?
>> Attempting to remove the formatting by simply removing the text boxes
>> (which
>> may not be text boxes but frames) will result in a hell of a lot of work
>> and
>> cannot readily be achieved with a macro.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Doug.  Thanks again for the effort.  I used the macro you put
>> > here...
>> > but
>> > it's the same problem.  It does find the first text box.  Then I move
>> > the
>> > cursor after that first text box and hit "Alt+F8" "Run" and that's
>> > where
>> > the
>> > snag is.  It doesn't take me to the next text box.  It takes me to the
>> > last
>> > text box.  And actually it doesn't take me anywhere... in other words,
>> > the
>> > cursor simply disappears.  I then click on the page where I am and hit
>> > "Shift
>> > F5" to go to the previous location -- this was my workaround to find
>> > where
>> > the cursor was last.... and that's when it takes me to the last text
>> > box.
>> > wish the macro simply took me to the text boxes in the order that they
>> > are
>> > in
>> > the document.  Any further tweaking of that macro would be helpful.
>> > Thanks.
>> > Chad.

>> .

0
Graham
12/18/2009 6:29:58 AM
Thank you Peter, but that's not what I want.  I just want to be able to go
from one text box to another.  "Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Q" doesn't do that.  But I do
appreciate your trying to help.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> A while ago, I exported some text from a pdf into a Word file, and a
> lot of it was in text boxes (or maybe frames), and someone here
> suggested Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Q. It worked.
>
> On Dec 17, 10:42 pm, Chad Williams
> <ChadWilli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Graham, thanks for your response.
> >
> > Actually, I simply want to find all the text boxes and then delete them.  A
> > lot of the times they are in footers, as well.  Being able to search for text
> > boxes, the same way you can search for, say, any word or any style would be
> > so helpful.  I know that you can search for graphics in a document.  I wonder
> > why an option for searching for text boxes isn't also available?  Anyhow, I
> > guess I'll just have to live with it as is.
> >

> > "Graham Mayor" wrote:
> > > It might be simpler with an application that formats with text boxes to scan
> > > to plain text (which does not support then) and add your own formatting - or
> > > to use an OCR software package that does not use text boxes such as
> > > FineReader. Doesn't OmniPage have an option not to use text boxes?
> > > Attempting to remove the formatting by simply removing the text boxes (which
> > > may not be text boxes but frames) will result in a hell of a lot of work and
> > > cannot readily be achieved with a macro.
> >
> > > --
> > > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> > > Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
> >
> > > My web sitewww.gmayor.com
> > > Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
> > > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> >
> > > "Chad Williams" <ChadWilli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> .

Thank you Graham.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> 'Text boxes'  can be in line or floating and may not be text boxes but
> frames or even table cells or a combination of all of them. They all require
> different methods or handling. The macro suggested by Doug would deal with
> normally inserted text boxes. If it doesn'y there is some other issue
> involved. If you want to send me (one page of) your document to look at I
> may be in a better position to advise on how to deal with them. Use the link
> on the home page of my web site. Don't change the message title or the
> message and attachment will be discarded.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Graham, thanks for your response.
> >
> > Actually, I simply want to find all the text boxes and then delete them.
> > lot of the times they are in footers, as well.  Being able to search for
> > text
> > boxes, the same way you can search for, say, any word or any style would
> > be
> > so helpful.  I know that you can search for graphics in a document.  I
> > wonder
> > why an option for searching for text boxes isn't also available?  Anyhow,
> > guess I'll just have to live with it as is.
> >
> > "Graham Mayor" wrote:
> >
> >> It might be simpler with an application that formats with text boxes to
> >> scan
> >> to plain text (which does not support then) and add your own formatting -
> >> or
> >> to use an OCR software package that does not use text boxes such as
> >> FineReader. Doesn't OmniPage have an option not to use text boxes?
> >> Attempting to remove the formatting by simply removing the text boxes
> >> (which
> >> may not be text boxes but frames) will result in a hell of a lot of work
> >> and
> >> cannot readily be achieved with a macro.
> >>
> >> --
> >> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> >> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
> >>
> >> My web site www.gmayor.com
> >> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> >> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> >>

> >> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Note that in none of your responses have you said what you actually
want to _do_ with each of the text boxes! If you reveal that
information, someone like Graham might be able to create a macro that
does it. (Once you seemed to indicate that you want to convert boxed
text to plain text, which is what my procedure will do.)

On Dec 18, 4:10=A0am, Chad Williams
<ChadWilli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thank you Peter, but that's not what I want. =A0I just want to be able to=
 go
> from one text box to another. =A0"Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Q" doesn't do that. =A0But=
 I do
> appreciate your trying to help.
>

> "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
> > A while ago, I exported some text from a pdf into a Word file, and a
> > lot of it was in text boxes (or maybe frames), and someone here
> > suggested Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Q. It worked.
>
> > On Dec 17, 10:42 pm, Chad Williams
> > <ChadWilli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Graham, thanks for your response.
>
> > > Actually, I simply want to find all the text boxes and then delete th=
em. =A0A
> > > lot of the times they are in footers, as well. =A0Being able to searc=
h for text
> > > boxes, the same way you can search for, say, any word or any style wo=
uld be
> > > so helpful. =A0I know that you can search for graphics in a document.=
 =A0I wonder
> > > why an option for searching for text boxes isn't also available? =A0A=
nyhow, I
> > > guess I'll just have to live with it as is.

> wrote
0
Peter
12/18/2009 2:30:45 PM
I honestly thank you for your help, Peter.  Maybe you didn't read my very
first post where I simply was asking for help in how to simply search for
text boxes within a document, in the same way you would search for a word.  I
never really specified the reason.  Maybe you came in later in the thread.
But I do appreciate your help and anyone's help here.  As you know, there's a
lot to know when it comes to heavy-duty Word document work.   Chad.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> Note that in none of your responses have you said what you actually
> want to _do_ with each of the text boxes! If you reveal that
> information, someone like Graham might be able to create a macro that
> does it. (Once you seemed to indicate that you want to convert boxed
> text to plain text, which is what my procedure will do.)
>
> On Dec 18, 4:10 am, Chad Williams
> <ChadWilli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Thank you Peter, but that's not what I want.  I just want to be able to go
> > from one text box to another.  "Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Q" doesn't do that.  But I do
> > appreciate your trying to help.
> >

> > "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
> > > A while ago, I exported some text from a pdf into a Word file, and a
> > > lot of it was in text boxes (or maybe frames), and someone here
> > > suggested Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Q. It worked.

> .

Peter was pointing out that you didn't say why you wanted to search for text
boxes. A little more detail would have helped us fine-tune our advice
because some of the questions that come up are, for example, "Are these
really text boxes, or might they be frames instead?" and "Do you want to
find them in order to delete them entirely, or do you want to preserve their
content but remove it from the text boxes and then delete the text boxes?"
and "Do you want to find the text boxes in order to apply some sort of
consistent formatting?" And so on.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

>I honestly thank you for your help, Peter.  Maybe you didn't read my very
> first post where I simply was asking for help in how to simply search for
> text boxes within a document, in the same way you would search for a word.
> never really specified the reason.  Maybe you came in later in the thread.
> But I do appreciate your help and anyone's help here.  As you know,
> there's a
> lot to know when it comes to heavy-duty Word document work.   Chad.
>
> "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
>
>> Note that in none of your responses have you said what you actually
>> want to _do_ with each of the text boxes! If you reveal that
>> information, someone like Graham might be able to create a macro that
>> does it. (Once you seemed to indicate that you want to convert boxed
>> text to plain text, which is what my procedure will do.)
>>
>> On Dec 18, 4:10 am, Chad Williams
>> <ChadWilli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> > Thank you Peter, but that's not what I want.  I just want to be able to
>> > go
>> > from one text box to another.  "Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Q" doesn't do that.  But I
>> > do
>> > appreciate your trying to help.

>> .

0
Suzanne
12/19/2009 3:35:51 AM
Thank you Suzanne and thank you Peter.  Sorry, I thought I was clear and now
I see the problem.  Well, I simply would like a macro (if you can do it) to
search for the next text box in the document and have the cursor bring me to
that text box and then stop.  Then, at that point, I would determine what I
want to do with that text box.  Then, I want to run the macro again from
where my cursor is (at that point I would place it after the first text box)
and then have the macro take my cursor to the next text box and stop.  And so
forth.   (If you can do another macro for frames, that would be an added
bonus.)  But it's more the text box search that I would love to have.  And
I'm praying that I have been more clear here than previously.  Thank you.
Chad.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Peter was pointing out that you didn't say why you wanted to search for text
> boxes. A little more detail would have helped us fine-tune our advice
> because some of the questions that come up are, for example, "Are these
> really text boxes, or might they be frames instead?" and "Do you want to
> find them in order to delete them entirely, or do you want to preserve their
> content but remove it from the text boxes and then delete the text boxes?"
> and "Do you want to find the text boxes in order to apply some sort of
> consistent formatting?" And so on.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I honestly thank you for your help, Peter.  Maybe you didn't read my very
> > first post where I simply was asking for help in how to simply search for
> > text boxes within a document, in the same way you would search for a word.
> > never really specified the reason.  Maybe you came in later in the thread.
> > But I do appreciate your help and anyone's help here.  As you know,
> > there's a
> > lot to know when it comes to heavy-duty Word document work.   Chad.
> >
> > "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
> >
> >> Note that in none of your responses have you said what you actually
> >> want to _do_ with each of the text boxes! If you reveal that
> >> information, someone like Graham might be able to create a macro that
> >> does it. (Once you seemed to indicate that you want to convert boxed
> >> text to plain text, which is what my procedure will do.)

As I offered a few days ago, if you send me a sample of the document, I will
see what needs to be done to locate the boxes it contains.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Thank you Suzanne and thank you Peter.  Sorry, I thought I was clear and
> now
> I see the problem.  Well, I simply would like a macro (if you can do it)
> search for the next text box in the document and have the cursor bring me
> that text box and then stop.  Then, at that point, I would determine what
> want to do with that text box.  Then, I want to run the macro again from
> where my cursor is (at that point I would place it after the first text
> box)
> and then have the macro take my cursor to the next text box and stop.  And
> so
> forth.   (If you can do another macro for frames, that would be an added
> bonus.)  But it's more the text box search that I would love to have.  And
> I'm praying that I have been more clear here than previously.  Thank you.
> Chad.
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> Peter was pointing out that you didn't say why you wanted to search for
>> text
>> boxes. A little more detail would have helped us fine-tune our advice
>> because some of the questions that come up are, for example, "Are these
>> really text boxes, or might they be frames instead?" and "Do you want to
>> find them in order to delete them entirely, or do you want to preserve
>> their
>> content but remove it from the text boxes and then delete the text
>> boxes?"
>> and "Do you want to find the text boxes in order to apply some sort of
>> consistent formatting?" And so on.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I honestly thank you for your help, Peter.  Maybe you didn't read my
>> >very
>> > first post where I simply was asking for help in how to simply search
>> > for
>> > text boxes within a document, in the same way you would search for a
>> > word.
>> > never really specified the reason.  Maybe you came in later in the
>> > thread.
>> > But I do appreciate your help and anyone's help here.  As you know,
>> > there's a
>> > lot to know when it comes to heavy-duty Word document work.   Chad.

0
Graham
12/21/2009 5:52:11 AM
Hi Graham... thanks for the offer, but I can't send documents from the firm
that I work for to outsiders.  However, I will create a document with boxes
in it and send it to you this Saturday or Sunday.  Thanks again... and have a
Merry Christmas!   Chad.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> As I offered a few days ago, if you send me a sample of the document, I will
> see what needs to be done to locate the boxes it contains.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Suzanne and thank you Peter.  Sorry, I thought I was clear and
> > now
> > I see the problem.  Well, I simply would like a macro (if you can do it)
> > search for the next text box in the document and have the cursor bring me
> > that text box and then stop.  Then, at that point, I would determine what
> > want to do with that text box.  Then, I want to run the macro again from
> > where my cursor is (at that point I would place it after the first text
> > box)
> > and then have the macro take my cursor to the next text box and stop.  And
> > so
> > forth.   (If you can do another macro for frames, that would be an added
> > bonus.)  But it's more the text box search that I would love to have.  And
> > I'm praying that I have been more clear here than previously.  Thank you.
> > Chad.
> >
> > "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
> >
> >> Peter was pointing out that you didn't say why you wanted to search for
> >> text
> >> boxes. A little more detail would have helped us fine-tune our advice
> >> because some of the questions that come up are, for example, "Are these
> >> really text boxes, or might they be frames instead?" and "Do you want to
> >> find them in order to delete them entirely, or do you want to preserve
> >> their
> >> content but remove it from the text boxes and then delete the text
> >> boxes?"
> >> and "Do you want to find the text boxes in order to apply some sort of
> >> consistent formatting?" And so on.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> >> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> >> Words into Type
> >> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> >> http://word.mvps.org
> >>
> >> "Chad Williams" <ChadWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

perpetually loading text
my mailbox shows the subject and sender but the message area of the page is blank and the hourglass icon shows constantly as though it is downloading the message but it never loads. This happens even with emails i have already read before this problem started a week ago. Thanks for any input. ...

combo box control issue - working fine in '03,
when I add a new record on the form via VBA - and then go to the combo box control, the control tip shows properly, but the cursor is not blinking. can not type anything into the box. when I click on the box, all is ok. any ideas as to what is wrong? works fine in access 2003. thx Make sure that you have at least the first 2 service packs in Access 2007. There was a combo box dropdown problem that I think was fixed in SP2. If you still have the problem, try SP3. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access &...

Slow mail delivery from new Exch 2003 box
I have Exch 2003 installed on my network on a Win2000 server. I've just installed Exch 2003 on a 2003 member server joined to that domain. Now I have two Exch 2003 servers in my Org. I created a test mailbox account on the new Exch 2003 server. Whenever I send email from the test account, it is very slow to arrive (28mins). If I move that mailbox to the old Exch 2003 on the Win2000 server, it arrives to the recipient instantly. If I run the DCDiag & Netdiag tools; Is there anything in particular in need to look for? Please Help anyone! Post some more info on your AD infrastuct...

Changing a text field to a date field
Hi I know this is a problem for lots of people but I still cant find an answer. I have imported a text file into excel with a number field that displays credit card expiry dates as a 4 digit number. example 0408 so month + year. I have converted the number field to a text field so it doesnt drop off the first zero and now I need to convert it to a date field. Any nice easy simple ideas. Any help would be much appreaciated. Or direction to a question the same. Perhaps =DATE(100+RIGHT(A1,2),LEFT(A1,2),1) format as date -- daddylonglegs --------------------------------------------...

Text to Columns from drop down list update
Hi I need to perform a Text to Column conversion from a drop down list, but I also need the extracted value to be updated if the value in the list is changed. eg: Drop down list has 2 values: 1. 4x16K 2. 8x8K If the user selects 1 I can easily extract out to another cell the value 1 using Text to columns, however if the user then changes the choice to 2 the text to columns extraction is not updated to 2. Is there a way to update changes in the original cell using text to columns? Or is there another way I can assign a value to a drop down menu choice in a different cell while havi...

Message Box Title
Is there a way to Center the Title of a Message Box in Access 2003? Thanks No. -- Ken Snell http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/ "accesshacker" <accesshacker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A383C6B-143C-49D8-ABAC-D705D6A616DB@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to Center the Title of a Message Box in Access 2003? > > Thanks There is a possible kludge with something like: MsgBox("This is a test",vbQuestion+vbYesNo," Centered") It ain't pretty but might work. -- Duane Hook...

And introducing... The Default Text Box Add-in!!
Default Text Box for Publisher 2002/2003 allows you to save defaults for text boxes in Publisher 2002 (which before now has been impossible) and to save these defaults for use in future publications (which isn't even possible with Publisher 2003!) Download it now from http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/Publisher/add-ins.htm Go on, give it a go - it's free! -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm I don't want add-ons for 2002 - I want 2003! "Ed Bennett" <...

Combo Box Problems
I would like to make a combo box in my worksheet do exactly what the Name Box does. When a item in the combo box is selected scroll right or left through the worksheet and find that heading that was selected in the combo box?.....Is there a way to do this? Thanks. On Aug 13, 10:00=A0am, daphoenix <daphoe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would like to make a combo box in my worksheet do exactly what the Name= Box > does. When a item in the combo box is selected scroll right or left throu= gh > the worksheet and find that heading that was selected in the combo > bo...

Text Boxes
Hi, I am currently using Excel in Office XP. I have created a small 'Text Box', but have a lot of text in it and I do not want to make the 'Text Box' any bigger. Is there any way that I can place 'Scroll Bars' on the 'Text Box' ? Regards Tappie Hi Tappie A textbox from the Controls Toolbox has a Scrollbars property. A textbox from the Drawing toolbar doesn't. HTH. best wishes Harald "Tappie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:2890e01c463ff$f1d86ec0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I am currently using ...

ALERT Pop up Box
Hi All I am running a macro that calculates and produces several workbooks for a number of people. What I would like to do is have a pop up box appear on each of their computers just before the macro is ran to ask them to "Get out of their workbooks as the macro is about to be ran". Is this possible? Thnkx Maybe you can add something like this at the start of your code: Dim Resp As Long Resp = MsgBox(Prompt:="Is your workbook closed so the macro can continue", _ Buttons:=vbYesNo) If Resp = vbNo Then Exit Sub End If mellowe wrote: > > Hi Al...

not repeating text boxes in reports with columns
Hello, I am trying to create a report with columns without repeating certain text boxes. Here is an example of what I would like to create: [Date] "Month1" [Date] "Month2" [Date] "Month3" [Product] "Product1": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product2": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product3": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product4": [q...

Text formatted email
I am trying to email a long hyperlink path to some one that can only receive text formatted emails. When they receive the email it, the hyperlink gets converted in to 2 lines, top line is a hyperlink (path incomplete) the second line is "text" with the balance of the hyperlink path. I placed < > around the hyperlink and it still splits in to 2 lines. Is there any way to keep the full link path intact? Thanks! jvs Tiny URL to the rescue! :-) http://tinyurl.com/ -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Cr...

Detecting Case of Text in a Cell
Hi All I know it's possible to change the case of text in a cell in Excel using Lower, Upper and Proper, but is there a function that tells me the current case of the text? A user has a spreadsheet of catalogue items, some in proper case and some in upper. He wants to seperate those in upper case into a separate sheet but I can't think of an easy way of doing it. Can anyone help? Colin -- Colin Vicary ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Colin Vicary's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10472 View this...

how to increase text size in reading pane
dennist685 dennist685 <dennist685@nospam.gmail.com> wrote: > dennist685 Depoends on your Outlook version, which you decided wasn't important enough to mention. -- Brian Tillman 2007 tjanks "Brian Tillman" wrote: > dennist685 <dennist685@nospam.gmail.com> wrote: > > > dennist685 > > Depoends on your Outlook version, which you decided wasn't important enough > to mention. > -- > Brian Tillman > > dennist685 <dennist685@nospam.gmail.com> wrote: > 2007 I don't have OL 2007, but in OL 2003, the Readi...

enter value in a cell from a combo box
How to build a combo box to be able to select a value and enter in the cell 1. Go to View > Toolbars > Control Toolbox 2. Click on the "Combobox" icon once and draw one on your worksheet (hold down the ALT button to fit to a cell). 3. Right-click on the Combobox and go to Properties. 4. In the ListFillRange type in the range of cells that contain the values to fill the combobox, like A1:A5. 5. In the LinkedCell field type a cell reference that will contain the user's selection (ie E2). 6. Click on the Exit Design Mode icon and close the toolbar. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA ...

Linking and Updating Word Text
I created a template in Publisher, including text, titles, pictures, etc. I have 13 separate Word docs that people are changing and updating. The text from the 13 documents needs to link into that Publisher template, to creat 13 new Publisher files. I need to accomplish two goals: a) 13 consistant looking Publisher files, that are, b) easily updated from the Word docs through link updates (or whatever.) I've only been able to bring over embedded objects from Word as pictures. Thank you. In Publisher, create a text box, right-click, click change text, click text file, browse t...

Text size in a drop-down list
I have created a drop down list using the Data>>Validation feature. The list is pulled from a range of values in the spreadsheet and a drop-down appears on each cell where the data validation is set. The problem I have is that the list text is very small, maybe 8 points. Changing the source data or the size of the validated cells makes no difference. Changing Excel default settings or Normal style text size settings doesn't make a difference. Does anyone know how to change the text size so that we can read the drop down text? A workaround http://www.contextures.com/x...

Rich Text Signature
Ho do I add Rich Text signature for my outgoing mail. Thanks Create your signature in a file on your PC (save it anywhere, just remember where). Then utilize Tools - Options - Signature tab to bring in that file (note the "Browse" button). Also, if you click the "Advanced" button you will have options in regard to which email account or newsgroup that signature applies. You can have multiple signatures. "Kumar Dheeraj" <Kumar Dheeraj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3735BB37-F9B0-4A4E-95F4-222384D0B5EF@microsoft.com... ...

List Box
I am stumped and need some assistance - PLEASE. New to List Boxes. I have created two unbound list boxes on an unbound form to use as criteria for a report. Both list boxes (lboxCategory and lboxSupplier) have two fields CategoryID and Category and SupplierID and Supplier sorting ascending on latter fields. The Multi-Select property is set to Extended. I have a command button cmdPreview that I would like to use to preview the report after selections are made. I will select two or more choices from each list box at a time. Can anyone get me started with the code I need to make this h...

verify that a dialog box exists
I want to verify that a dialog box exists before I send it some message. I have a pointer to its object. Can someone remind me please? Thanks George > I want to verify that a dialog box exists before I send it some message. I > have a pointer to its object. > Can someone remind me please? > if(pDlg && pDlg->m_hWnd) { .... } --- Ajay > I want to verify that a dialog box exists before I send it some message. I > have a pointer to its object. > Can someone remind me please? > You can use ASSERT_VALID as well. It works in Debug only but its of great...

How many cells match a text string?
I have a sheet where I need to display a sum in one cell of a row that indicates how many other cells in the row contain text matching a given string. FIND or SEARCH can be used to tell whether any given cell contains a match, but is there a way, short of programming, to determine how many cells contain a match? Thanks, George Marshall George Try: =COUNTIF(A2:L2,"*text*") Andy "George Marshall" <george@NOSPAMmarshalls.org> wrote in message news:MPG.1a2f54291417b31e9896b9@msnews.microsoft.com... > I have a sheet where I need to display a sum in one cell ...

Lists Box
I have a form with fields; ID, DATE and QUANTITY. The Date andQuantity Field I've changed into a List Box showing the two columnsrespectively and the ID field is left as a normal text box. When Iclick on any item in the list box the ID change change according towhich ever entry I have selected. Unfortunetly ID field staysconstant!!Any suggestionsThanks Hi, Asif,did you include the ID field in the ListBox?The easiest solution:1) Add the ID field to the RowSource.2) Point the BoundColumn to the ID field.3) Set the ID field column width to 0.HTHVlado"Asif" <asifhashmani@hotmail.c...

Align Radio Button text and button
How do you get the text to line up with the button when it is small text? I have a button: <asp:RadioButton id="rdbClients" GroupName="SetupDisplay" style=" font-size: 11px " runat="server" /> If the button is the default size where the text is large, it lines up so the button is at the middle of the text. But when you change the text to a small font, it is still positioned in the same place but since the text is smaller, the button is now aligned with the top of the text because the text is now shorter. Is there a way to get...

Force data type from Text to Memo in a simple Make Table Query
I'm concatenating fields of various data types that upon completion sometimes reaches around 500 characters. Not huge, but larger than the Text limitation to which is what Access 2007 of course converts this. How can I force the data type to be Memo while I'm in the query so the resulting table displays all the data without any truncation. -- TIA Eric S UPRR I don't believe you can. I think you'll have to create the table first, and then append to it. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "E...

Text Converted to a Picture
I am having the following problem i have text that was entered into an excel speadsheet that now has been converted into a picture. I need to know how i can un-convert it so i can make modifications to the text. ...