Printing special characters

Hello

In my Word 2003 document I have a number of special characters suchas the
small 2 and small 3 used in maths equations (square root, cubic root, etc).

Unfortunately, these print off as small cubes and I was hoping to rectify
that, please.

Best regards

Steve

Have you verified that the characters you're using exist in the font
you're printing with?

Do you use a font that was installed with your printer, that might be
old enough that it doesn't include them?

Alternatively, if you created your exponents with Superscript, have
you verified that your printer is capable of printing any superscript
characters?

On Feb 16, 4:37=A0am, SteveH <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> In my Word 2003 document I have a number of special characters suchas the
> small 2 and small 3 used in maths equations (square root, cubic root, etc=
).

> Unfortunately, these print off as small cubes and I was hoping to rectify
> that, please.
>
> Best regards
>
> Steve

0
Peter
2/16/2010 1:00:57 PM
Hello Peter

Many thanks for your reply.

The font I am using is Verdana in Word 2003 and the special characters are
those you see in the Insert | Symbol in Word.

My printer didn't come with anything: it is a bog-standard HP Photosmart
7660 ink printer.

Do you mean that Word finds these characters acceptable, but the printer
does not? How would I overcome that?

Thanks.

Steve

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> Have you verified that the characters you're using exist in the font
> you're printing with?
>
> Do you use a font that was installed with your printer, that might be
> old enough that it doesn't include them?
>
> Alternatively, if you created your exponents with Superscript, have
> you verified that your printer is capable of printing any superscript
> characters?
>
> On Feb 16, 4:37 am, SteveH <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > In my Word 2003 document I have a number of special characters suchas the
> > small 2 and small 3 used in maths equations (square root, cubic root, etc).
> >
> > Unfortunately, these print off as small cubes and I was hoping to rectify
> > that, please.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Steve
>
> .

You mean, plain ol' superscript 2 and 3, at Unicode 00B2 and 00B3? Do
other characters in the same range, such as plus/minus (00B1), come
out ok? (They're all there in Verdana.)

Maybe you could look for an updated printer driver at the HP website.

On Feb 18, 10:13=A0am, SteveH <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello Peter
>
> Many thanks for your reply.
>
> The font I am using is Verdana in Word 2003 and the special characters ar=
> those you see in the Insert | Symbol in Word.
>
> My printer didn't come with anything: it is a bog-standard HP Photosmart
> 7660 ink printer.
>
> Do you mean that Word finds these characters acceptable, but the printer
> does not? How would I overcome that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve
>

> "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
> > Have you verified that the characters you're using exist in the font
> > you're printing with?
>
> > Do you use a font that was installed with your printer, that might be
> > old enough that it doesn't include them?
>
> > Alternatively, if you created your exponents with Superscript, have
> > you verified that your printer is capable of printing any superscript
> > characters?
>
> > On Feb 16, 4:37 am, SteveH <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Hello
>
> > > In my Word 2003 document I have a number of special characters suchas=
 the
> > > small 2 and small 3 used in maths equations (square root, cubic root,=
 etc).

> > > Unfortunately, these print off as small cubes and I was hoping to rec=
tify
> > > that, please.
>
> > > Best regards
>
> > > Steve
0
Peter
2/18/2010 6:06:03 PM
Hello Peter

Many thanks for that.

I'll try printing out one or two other special characters and if that fails
I'll search for a recent driver.

I would have thought that a not-too-old HP printer would have been able to
print off what are, basically, run-of-the-mill characters - or do some
printers not recognise certain characters?

Many thanks.

Steve

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> You mean, plain ol' superscript 2 and 3, at Unicode 00B2 and 00B3? Do
> other characters in the same range, such as plus/minus (00B1), come
> out ok? (They're all there in Verdana.)
>
> Maybe you could look for an updated printer driver at the HP website.
>
> On Feb 18, 10:13 am, SteveH <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Hello Peter
> >
> > Many thanks for your reply.
> >
> > The font I am using is Verdana in Word 2003 and the special characters are
> > those you see in the Insert | Symbol in Word.
> >
> > My printer didn't come with anything: it is a bog-standard HP Photosmart
> > 7660 ink printer.
> >
> > Do you mean that Word finds these characters acceptable, but the printer
> > does not? How would I overcome that?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Steve
> >

> > "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
> > > Have you verified that the characters you're using exist in the font
> > > you're printing with?
> >
> > > Do you use a font that was installed with your printer, that might be
> > > old enough that it doesn't include them?
> >
> > > Alternatively, if you created your exponents with Superscript, have
> > > you verified that your printer is capable of printing any superscript
> > > characters?

> .

Print Chart in Shared Workbook
Hi, I have a Chart on one of my sheets and when my workbook is shared, I cannot select it it and print it. Can someone tell me how to do ?? regards Paul. One of the features that's listed in help as unavailable with shared workbooks is the ability to change charts. Even though I couldn't select the chart itself, I could print the worksheet that it was on. If you really just want to print the chart (and none of the cells surrounding the chart), maybe you could plop it (or a copy of it) onto a chart sheet--and print that. Paul. wrote: > > Hi, > > I have a Chart on...

FONTS print as00000000000000
Fonts aren't printing in publisher.... I tried reinstalling publisher and the printer.... and driver.... I can't figure it out.... Numbers print and some exclamation points... etc.... ...

Default printing selection
Is there a way to set the "Entire Workbook" selection in the print dialogue box as the default, instead of having to choose manually? Thanks. ...

remove last three characters of cell
Thanks, Access Expert! Your formula works really great! Now, I am trying to use the same formula to remove the last three characters which contain a comma, a space, and one letter (it varies, and a wildcard doesn't seem to work) (e.g. ", J"), how do I modify it to remove the last three characters. I've been playing around with it, but don't know how to specify the letter as a wildcard, if that's even possible. I want to to go from Doe, John, W --> Doe, John Thanks! "AccessExpert" wrote: > Mira, > > You can use a combination of the L...

Enlarging spread sheet for printing?
Hi, I am using Microsoft Excel for Mac. I have the feeling that this is really simple, but I'm having serious brain freeze. I am trying to print a spreadsheet. I would like it to print on a full page, but it is coming out really small, even though it is large enough on normal view. I have tried to change my font size, and pulled the document out completely to a larger size in normal view, but it still doesn't change when I do my print preview. I have tried to make my page breaks larger to fit the entire page hoping this would stretch it out to no avail. Even though I am ...

Why does my HP 5Si prints 1 blank page for every page I print
My HP Laser Jet 5Si prints 1 blank page for every page I print in publisher. I can not find out why, or how to correct it. HELP! Are you printing multi-page documents? Are you saying every other page is blank? Has the printer always printed this way? Have you looked at printing preferences to be sure you don't have a separation page enabled? You have an old printer, could be your driver is corrupt. It is always advisable to completely remove a driver before installing or re-installing. Bruce Sanderson's Windows Web How to clean up printer drivers http://members.shaw.ca/bsander...

How to print large mail merge?
I have created a mail merge Postcard in Publisher with 600 records. Printing is set to print 4 cards per page. How do I get it to print more than 2 pages at a time? Is your system hanging after two pages? What version of Publisher and Windows are you using. We are not mind readers or putting our crystal balls to such a wasteful use as to determine that information you should have supplied. "Frustratedpublisher" <Frustratedpublisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E141CCA3-8770-4161-B412-5A45667843EB@microsoft.com... >I have created a mail merge Pos...

Printing a dialog from an SDI based application
In an SDI application that I am developing I am trying to print the contents of a graph hosted in a dialog...my question is can I somehow hook into the default printing support that the SDI app has built in or do I have to come up with a new class to support printing from the dialog??? Dominic Dominic, You can indeed jack into the printing framework. It's as easy as adding an override to OnPrint in your view, and print to the CDC* you get as an in-parameter. A nifty side effect is that you'll get support for the print-preview this way as well. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik ...

Help, photo won't print
I scanned a photo that is a weird shape, it's a rectangle with an inset picture that is a square sitting on the top left. It's from a magazine article that I have permission to reprint in my newsletter. Because of the strange shape and I wanted text to wrap close to the inset picture on top, I created a transparent area so that the text would wrap close to the picture. Now, when we try to print that page, we get an X and a blank area where the picture is supposed to be. Is there any way for me to get this picture to print? It was scanned in Photoshop Elements and I saved it as a jp...

printing on 11 x 17 wide printer
We have a HP1220c which allows us to print 11 X 17 . I am trying to print a 5 page excel spreadsheet which I can print with no problem on an HP2200. The problem is it will not print page 1 but 2-5 print ok. Any ideas on what causes this problem? -- QUICK-WRIGHT The One Source Resource www.qwa.com 800 813-1592 Will Sellers IT Manager ...

Print Barcodes w Eltron 2742 direct thermal (legacy)
When I upgraded to RMS 1.3 (from QuickSell2000) tech told me all would be wonderful. Now my old Eltron 2742 direct thermal does not print. Bought and returned Zebra TLP2844 because we could not get it to work. Tech left country but he had the old eltron (never the new zebra) printing barcodes through rms (I believe as a windows printer-not using rms printer wizard). Got the seagullscientific.com printer driver for Eltron and installed but does not solve problem. (Zebra people say they bought eltron and while they no longer support it, they told me the seagullscientific driver will make...

Publisher stops responding after printing
Just a quick question... I am using Windows 98 SE, running publisher 2002 I have a HP psc 750 printer with the latest drivers installed. I also installed all the latest updated for windows. Publisher stops responding after I send a project to the printer. Any suggestions.... Thanks Arnold After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Arnold <arnoldNOSPAM@arnoldsite.com>... > Publisher stops responding after I send a project to the printer. Does the document print? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Bef...

EXCEL:printing row headings at the top of every page.
I have looked at the EXCEL help and am not able to get row headings at the top of every page. I see the sheet tab and I see where I am "supposed" to enter the rows to be printed at the top of every page. HOWEVER these cells are "grayed out" i.e. inaccessible. Is there something else I need to do before I can access this function? It seems simple enough, but I am not able to enter rows to be printed. Any ideas? Are the sheets grouped? as this will cause that to happen, in which case you need to ungroup and set the print area. -- Regards Ken.............

Grid lines are not aligned when I print. How do I fix this?
When I print my document the grid lines are not aligned. They appear to be fine on the screen. The alignment became crooked after moving the page borders so that the document will fit on one page. This sounds like a printer hardware problem not an Excel issue. Sorry, Sincerely, Gary Brown "Solution Seeker" <Solution Seeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E73B3DCF-F08E-4929-B599-C3D083A155AA@microsoft.com... > When I print my document the grid lines are not aligned. They appear to be > fine on the screen. The alignment became crooked after moving the ...

slow printing #2
My rather large spreadsheet has become very slow (45sec) to either print or print preview. This happens on the main worksheet only, not the other worksheets which are much smaller. This problem doesn't occur when the file is opened on other computers ...

another question on printing invoices.
Thanks to a suggestion here, I was able to graph out the spaces on the invoices properly, but I ran into another snag, here's the situation: I am tryinhg to figure out a way to print invoices from an excell spreadsheet. The invoices are pre-formated with fields and logos and are on continuous paper that is fed into a dot matrix impact printer. It's NCR paper, an original and two copies. The rows of the spread sheet contain the data that needs to be in the invoice. Each row has customer information, ie, name, address, item bought, price per unit, number of units, sales tax, and t...

Calendar: print Daily style, 2 pages/day, no TaskPad, no Notes
Hello -- The Notes component of the Daily format still prints, even after I uncheck the Notes area box. The setting for Layout: 2 pages/day does not work. I tried setting up a printer to print 2 pages / landscape page and that did not work either. Can anyone suggest what I can do to have 2 consecutive days print side-by-side on an 8.5" x 11" landscape page? Thanks for any help. Larry Mehl ...

My brochure is printing in mirror image. I don't know why? Help!
Don't know what I did but my 2 page brochure is printing in mirror image. I don't know how to fix it. Help! Look at your printer settings. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Carol Y" <Carol Y@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0419E47-663B-4638-93F8-B6D4822CA4AD@microsoft.com... > Don't know what I did but my 2 page brochure is printing in mirror image. I > don't know how to fix it. Help! ...

Spot Color separations not printing correctly
I am trying to print seperations for a two color project ( black + one pantone color). When I print on my InkJet and Laser printer the seperations are screwed up. When I took the file to the printer for preflight they were OK ?? Anybody know why ? "Screwed up" how? How was job preflighted? "Stuart F." <sfirstdc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:004501c352d6$8c5f7150$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to print seperations for a two color project > ( black + one pantone color). When I print on my InkJet > and Laser printer the seperations are screwed up...

Help printing from Excel
Hi I have payroll data - 1 row per month on worksheet 1. At the moment I copy and paste individual cells into sheet 2 (laid out to look like a payslip) and then print it. This means I either need loads of worksheets or can't save the data from the previous month. Is there a function that will print the row I ask in a predefined format, including standard data (ie name, payroll number etc)? So if someone tells me in September they have lost their July payslip I can reprint it using the July info, including the totals in row 14 that have changed by my adding August pay info. Tha...

How can i print sequential page numbers 1 to 10, if i have one wo.
I have an excel worksheet that is one page long. I want to print it 100 times with page numbers labeling it 1 to 100. How do i do this? DJN Code from Ron de Bruin's site. http://www.rondebruin.nl/print´┐Ż.htm#number Sub PrintCopies_ActiveSheet() Dim CopiesCount As Long Dim CopieNumber As Long CopiesCount = Application.InputBox("How many Copies do you want", Type:=1) For CopieNumber = 1 To CopiesCount With ActiveSheet 'number in cell A1 '.Range("a1").Value = CopieNumber & " of " & Copi...

Sheet moves at print time, loos fine at preview
When I preview the spread sheet the vertical relationship between the spreadsheet and the header looks fine, no space, but after I print it there is extra space between the header and the spreadsheet. What causes this? What am doing wrong? Thanks, Erich Check your left margin to see if all the row numbers are sequential. You may have accidentally decreased the row height on row 2 and yo can't see the space in print preview, but it's there when you print. If that's the case, select the whole row, right click and select Ro Height to adjust the height -- DataCollecto ---------...

How do I print multiple pages on 1 sheet of A4 in Publisher 2002
Hi all, This is something that I have not been able to figure out but I expect is straight forward or impossible to do. I have a small page size (4" x 6") and so two of these pages will fit neatly onto an A4 sheet of paper. I can see how to print multiple COPIES of a page onto a single sheet, but I can't figure out how to print multiple pages onto a single sheet. If I choose to only print a single copy per page, Publisher decides to plonk the page in the middle on the A4 sheet. I can't see any option to get more than one page printed side by side. Any Ideas Chris ...

How to trap as soon as some Windows app of the same computer sends a print job to the network printer server
Hi, I need to write an app, which could trap as soon as some Windows app of the same computer sends a print job to the network printer server, add some data to JOB_NOTIFY_FIELD_USER_NAME field of the print job, and then have continue sending. I only concern about the new print jobs sent from the computer which run this app, other than all print queue of the network printer. It seems that spooler APIs such as FindFirstPrinterChangeNotification, monitor all print job in the queue. Is there a simple way for me? Thank you. ...

How do I print graphs poster size (4
In my previous version of Excel I could print graphs in what I think was called "poster". It would print 4 panels on 8 1/2 x 11 that could be connected together to make a poster size graph. It would print dotted lines and solid lines and told where to cut and paste. I cannot find how to do that now that we have upgraded to Excel 2002. The capability that you describe would be really neat to have but AFAIK no version of XL has ever supported it. You must have had some special third party program or add-in. Of course, such a capability might be feature of your printer (driver...