Printing modified CreateDate field in header reverts back - Word 2

i create a new document.  I insert a CreateDate field in the document.  Then
I create a header, and insert another CreateDate field there.  I save the
document as a template.

I open a new document based on that template.  I modify the date in the
document (not deleting the whole field but just changing the day from today
to last week).
Then I go to the header and change that date in the same way.

When I go to Print Preview, the date in the main document stays as I typed
it, but the date in the header reverts to the create date (today).

Does anyone know why that happens?  And how I can make the field in the
header act like the field in the body of the document?

Thanks in advance.

That's Word 2007.

"susiew32" wrote:

> i create a new document.  I insert a CreateDate field in the document.  Then
> I create a header, and insert another CreateDate field there.  I save the
> document as a template.
>
> I open a new document based on that template.  I modify the date in the
> document (not deleting the whole field but just changing the day from today
> to last week).
> Then I go to the header and change that date in the same way.
>
> When I go to Print Preview, the date in the main document stays as I typed
> it, but the date in the header reverts to the create date (today).
>
> Does anyone know why that happens?  And how I can make the field in the
> header act like the field in the body of the document?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Possibly because the one in the header is updating and the one in the text is
not.  Have you tried locking the fields so they won't update  (Ctrl+F11)?

Pam

susiew32 wrote:
>i create a new document.  I insert a CreateDate field in the document.  Then
>I create a header, and insert another CreateDate field there.  I save the
>document as a template.
>
>I open a new document based on that template.  I modify the date in the
>document (not deleting the whole field but just changing the day from today
>to last week).
>Then I go to the header and change that date in the same way.
>
>When I go to Print Preview, the date in the main document stays as I typed
>it, but the date in the header reverts to the create date (today).
>
>Does anyone know why that happens?  And how I can make the field in the
>header act like the field in the body of the document?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Pamelia
12/16/2009 7:00:52 PM
If you want a date other than the CreateDate for the document, then you will
need to replace the field with plain text. Fields in the header will update
automatically when you print or switch to Print Preview even if you have the
option to update fields on printing disabled.

More to the point, why are you putting the CreateDate field in the template
if you don't want a CreateDate field in the document?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"susiew32" <susiew32@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i create a new document.  I insert a CreateDate field in the document.
>Then
> I create a header, and insert another CreateDate field there.  I save the
> document as a template.
>
> I open a new document based on that template.  I modify the date in the
> document (not deleting the whole field but just changing the day from
> today
> to last week).
> Then I go to the header and change that date in the same way.
>
> When I go to Print Preview, the date in the main document stays as I typed
> it, but the date in the header reverts to the create date (today).
>
> Does anyone know why that happens?  And how I can make the field in the
> header act like the field in the body of the document?
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
Suzanne
12/16/2009 7:26:09 PM
A CreateDate field displays the date the document (or template) was created.
A new document created from a template containing a CreateDate field will
display the date the new document was created. It seems that you want some
other date. You  cannot change the date in a createdate field, without
eliminating the field or it will simply update to reflect the creation date.

If you want to insert a date a week earlier than the creation date using
fields, then it can get quite complicated, though the work has been done for
you - see http://www.gmayor.com/insert_a_date_other_than_today.htm and the
linked item you can download from
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

An alternative is to select a date from a calendar and add it to a document
variable using a macro. The macro can be run again should you need to change
the date. Docvariables may be inserted in a document using docvariable
fields - in this example { Docvariable varDate }- in place of the createdate
fields.

The macro used the http://www.gmayor.com/popup_calendar.htm information with
the following associated code in place of that shown in the article

Private Sub Calendar1_Click()
Dim oVars As Variables
Dim vVar As Variant
Dim oStory As Range
Set oVars = ActiveDocument.Variables
oVars("varDate").Value = Format(Calendar1.Value, "dd mmmm yyyy")
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
  oStory.Fields.Update
  If oStory.StoryType <> wdMainTextStory Then
    While Not (oStory.NextStoryRange Is Nothing)
      Set oStory = oStory.NextStoryRange
      oStory.Fields.Update
    Wend
  End If
Next oStory
Set oStory = Nothing
Unload Me
End Sub

Private Sub CmdClose_Click()
Unload Me
End Sub

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Calendar1.Value = Date
End Sub

The calendar itself would be called by an autonew macro in the document
template which runs when you create a new document

Sub InsCalendar()
    frmCalendar.Show
End Sub

Sub AutoNew()
    InsCalendar
End Sub

I have used two macros as you may wish to add extra code to the autonew
macro - see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm while still being
able to run the InsCalendar macro to change the date as required, without
that extra code.

With the docvariable fields in the template, when you create a new document
from that template, the macro pops up the calendar. You select the date that
you want in the document and the macro inserts it into the docvariable field
then updates the fields in the document. If you want a different date format
in each field you could add a date formatting switch to one or both
docvariable fields.

While this may look complicated, it is quicker to set up than explain and
once done is a lot less work than what you are doing at present.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"susiew32" <susiew32@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i create a new document.  I insert a CreateDate field in the document.
>Then
> I create a header, and insert another CreateDate field there.  I save the
> document as a template.
>
> I open a new document based on that template.  I modify the date in the
> document (not deleting the whole field but just changing the day from
> today
> to last week).
> Then I go to the header and change that date in the same way.
>
> When I go to Print Preview, the date in the main document stays as I typed
> it, but the date in the header reverts to the create date (today).
>
> Does anyone know why that happens?  And how I can make the field in the
> header act like the field in the body of the document?
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
Graham
12/17/2009 6:05:10 AM
The template is used by many people, and the createdate is what we want in
there.  For some reason, one person wanted to change the date.  We were just
surprised that the date in the main body of the document behaved differently
than the date in the header.

I will just make sure that she replaces the entire field with the date as
text.

Thanks for all your quick replies, this forum has been and continues to be a
great help to me.

See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> The template is used by many people, and the createdate is what we want in
> there.  For some reason, one person wanted to change the date.  We were
> just
> surprised that the date in the main body of the document behaved
> differently
> than the date in the header.
>
> I will just make sure that she replaces the entire field with the date as
> text.
>
> Thanks for all your quick replies, this forum has been and continues to be
> great help to me.

0
Graham

Display Field Name as Text Listing if Value True from Checkbox Fields
Hi everyone! I have 40 or so columns in a table using the yes/no data type. Each record in the table represents an audit of a paper form. Those items filled incorrectly or incompletely on the paper form receive a check on an access form during the audit process. I would like to create a feedback form based on the audit record that displays a listing of fields that received the check boxes, or rather, were incomplete or incorrect on paper form that was audited. On the feedback form, I only want to display something like this: "Your form had the following errors: ErrorFieldOneName Erro...

link custom field to resource names
hello, i have created a custom field "Primary contact" is there a way to link it to the list of Resource names? maybe turn it into a drop down list? thanks "greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23hSQ6HJsEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > hello, > i have created a custom field "Primary contact" > is there a way to link it to the list of Resource names? > maybe turn it into a drop down list? > > thanks > > ...

Print Command Button Corrupted
Hi Guys, Does anyone know how to recreate a corrupted button in Excel 2000? Basically the Print button comes up with error messages when I press onto it. Printing works fine if you select from the File menu, it is just the button. I thought there was a tool to recreate buttons but cannot find it. I have also run detect and repair which did nothing (Surprise surprise! lol) Any ideas would be much appreciated. Try this: In Excel XP, View, Toolbars, Customize. Select the Standard toolbar and Click the Reset Button. Note, that this will cause any customization that you may have made to you...

"TOOLS" menu missing from menu bar #2
"TOOLS" menu is completely missing from the menu bar in Publisher 2003. How do I put it back? Might try a "detect and repair" Meanwhile, right-click a toolbar, click customize, scroll down to built-in menus, drag the tools menu to your toolbar. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Anil Gupta" <AnilGupta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C7ADC1E-A6E9-4F01-8C06-01B92AC7B97B@microsoft.com... > "TOOLS" menu is completely missing from the menu bar in Publisher 20...

Creating a Combination Bar Chart with 2 Lines
I am trying to create a bar chart with 2 line series. The Y-axis for the vertical bars would be on the left and the Y-axis for the 2 line series would be on the right (3 series were defined). The horizontal axis for all series are calendar months (Jan, Feb, etc.) Every time I setup the chart my chart only displays a single line, ignoring the other line series. The vertical bars come out fine. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? Thanks Bill Falzone Don't use the built in types. Make the chart using all columns. Select a series that you want to change (click on it right in th...

Vista, MS Access 2003 and MS ADO Ext 6.0 vs 2.x
I am running into an issue with MS Access 2003 installed on Vista. Apparantly in the MS ADO Ext 6.0 version either (format, round, or sum) is not in that DLL. However, when I link to v2.8 of the DLL, I don't have an issue. I am getting the following error message when running my query. "Function is not available in expressions in query expressions." Does anyone have other workarounds? I am distributing this application in an MDE format, so I was wondering if the end users may experience issues, if I link to my version of msadox.dll instead of the installed version. I tried s...

Add the same field twice to a pivot table but filter one of them?
In my datasheet, I have a "cost" column and a "date" column so each cost has an associated date. In my pivot table, I've added the "cost" as a field, which shows the total and this is fine. However, I'd like to add the "cost" as a field again and this time selecting which dates to include in the cost number so that I have two cost fields side by side. Is something like this possible? Hi That is not possible in the same PT. You will need to set up a second PT based upon the same data set as the first but do NOT use the same Pivot Cache to save ...

Cannot Start Outlook #2
I have just run the auomatic windows update on my local PC and now Outlook 2000 will not start. It just hangs at the splash screen. Outlook is configured to connect to Exchange. Other PCs on the same Lan which have not been updated can still connect. The updates installed were 824141, 823182, 826232, 825119, 828035, 828749. I have unistalled all of these updates and Outlook still will not start. Any ideas? Does it start if you run this command from the command line, go to Start > Run > type "outlook /safe" without the quotes but with the space before the Forward slash &...

2 Email domains w/2 Act. Dir. Domains - Same Forest
Hello, Scenario: We've had domain1.com (AD) setup and running in exchange 2003 for a year now w/mixed win2k and win2k3 servers - email domain name is the same, domain1. OWA works great and haven't had any problems. Our company is branching out into a new business segment and I've created a new active dir. domain within the same forest, domain2.local. It is NOT a child domain, but does sit under the same forest. I need to configure my front end/back end exchange 2003 boxes to do the following: -receive email for both email domains (domain1.com and domain2.com) -let users...

Search Multiple Worksheets #2
Is there a way to search trough multiple worksheets for a specific value? Other posts have mentioned to use VBA, but I have never used that before. If anyone can give me some advice on using that or a type of formula to perform that can search multiple worksheets. Thank You There may be other ways but, while holding down the ctrl key select each of the worksheet tabs you want to search in then select Edit|Find from the menu. Type in the value you want and it will go to the first instance of that value. Now if you are wanting to preserve a specifice value for reference or ???, then...

Database Field Sizes.
I have two small problems, firstly Can the Matrix Description field size be increased to 40/60 chars at present too small. or is there a bigger field i can use eg the extended description field size increased. We need a way that when a saleperson inputs a sale order at the POS and the item needs to be special order the following information is automatically passed to the purchased order for the supplier. 1, supplier Ref number for item. 2, Supplier Colour (four suppliers have 56 colours each) 3, Size of Dress etc 4, delivery date required 5, Order confirmation date and number from suppli...

Noob Question For Selecting Multiple Fields On A Form
Hello... In versions earlier than 2007 I would be able to go to the Menu Bar and click Edit -> Select All to select all fields on the form. Now, my question is... where in 2007 did the put that functionality? If Microsoft removed it from there... where did they recreate it? Thanks! Squirrel "SQLSQUIRREL" <SQLSQUIRREL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:333547A1-9C6A-422B-9CD5-97D79D6037DF@microsoft.com... > Hello... > > In versions earlier than 2007 I would be able to go to the Menu Bar and > click Edit -> Select All to se...

Printing Question
I have a report that I have been doing in Excel but is better done in Access. However, the report is too large to print on a single page and that is a necessity. With Excel, I just adjusted the scaling. I can't seem to do that with Access I've also tried exporting from Access to Excel, but the calculated fields are not exported. Any suggestions on how I can print the report on one page? Sorry, when I posted, it said there was an error and that I should try posting later. "randlesc" wrote: > I have a report that I have been doing in Excel but is bett...

how do i get font style back on toolbar?
new to this...when i started my document the font style was displayed on toolbar...now it is not...what do i do and thanks to those who help!!!!!!1 Melissa, try view, toolbars, and check formatting -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "melissa" <melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:852099EC-03A0-4B0F-91AD-0B9F61CF8C4B@microsoft.com... > new to this...when i started my document the fon...

spreadsheet does not print as large as created
I have created a spreadsheet in Excel 2002. Simple layout with number, name, address,blank, blank,number. I created with large font size (28 or 32). I want the columns large enough for me to write in blanks and make notes. When the document is printed (hp laser 5p) the size of the font is not increased. Jim Morgan Memphis Tn Probably because that printer (driver) will not support that font and/or size. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software Granite Shoals, TX donaldb@281.com "Jim Morgan" <jmorgan7@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message news:06ce01c34dfe$29c53d90$a401280a@phx.gb...

print area #2
i cannot clear print area. when i select the print area and 'file', 'print area',the options are not available. any suggestions? When you use this command, Excel creates a range "print_area". Try deleting that range. Stan Scott New York City "bronxxbabe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78dc01c476a2$31509280$a401280a@phx.gbl... > i cannot clear print area. when i select the print area > and 'file', 'print area',the options are not available. > any suggestions? Perhaps you have two or more ...

HTTP Error 401.2
Hi, I have installed MS CRM 1.2 on my Domain controller running windows 2003 standard server and email router on exchange 2003. My local ip subnet is 172.0.0.x With ms vpn connection, I can access to ms crm by using outlook 2003 or internet explorer by opening the default ms crm page remotely. However, if i connect to ms crm with different subnet 10.0.0.x, i cannot connect to ms crm. 10.0.0.x subnet is routed to 172.0.0.x, where my users normally login email from the exchange 2003. What puzzle me is why i can authenticate from exchange 2003 but not ms crm server on using the same...

backup same set of servers from 2 DPM 2007 servers
I am changing the DPM server 2007. However, I would like to take this opportunity to revise all protection groups so that I can restore bare-metal any server from a single lTO-4 tape if possible. During this "transitional period," I would like to leave the existing backup settings on the older DPM server to continue to run while adding jobs to the new DPM server. Looks like to me that I have to re-install the agent on all servers so that they can be recognized by the new DPM server. IS there a better way to do this if my plan is possible at all? Thanks Bill ...

Determining and Printing a specific page
I have a HUGE Excel spreadsheet and I only want to print a certain page. Is there any way that I can tell what page the row resides on so that I can specifically print only that page of the spreadsheet??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance! "wnfisba" <wnfisba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F732030-938F-411B-9C46-B1885E6EAD33@microsoft.com... >I have a HUGE Excel spreadsheet and I only want to print a certain page. Is > there any way that I can tell what page the row resides on so that I can > specifically print only that p...

Excel Database
I'm developing a database in Excel and I need some help with macros. The scenario: It's a database of drink short takes for a bar. Each tab has a different summary category, such as spirits, wines, cocktails, etc... Cells in each summary tab links to a new tab, where the data for that entry is explained (the short take sheets themselves). Short take planner Now, imagine a simple monthly calendar, each cell corresponding to each day of the month that has a drop down list of values to choose from. First, I would like to make this drop down list show data from the...

mySQL datetime field reports as Long Integer with ODBC
I'm using Access 2003 as a reporting tool against a mySQL database, connecting with the mySQL ODBC driver 3.51.17. The ODBC driver reports every datetime field as a Long Integer in Access. This makes date operations problematic. I notice an interesting post in this forum from 2005 that would work fine ("Convert UNIX time to windows general date"), but using a function with every row seems like an unnecessary performance hit. Also, it seems counter-intuitive that the driver doesn't recognize the correct field type. The problem looks suspiciously like the mySQL bug rep...

Printing in Landscape mode
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C8C04C.CC21E500 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, Is there a code snippet in which I can set the printer print-mode to = Landscape? Ideally, I want to set it in the MFC CView::OnPreparePrinting() method = call. If you have any suggestions... please help. King ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C8C04C.CC21E500 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD H...

moving publisher #2
I bought a computer with publisher bundled (no cd). Now I want to put it on my new laptop. How do I move it from the desktop computer to the laptop???? Cliff without the source CD...you don't. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Cliff" <Cliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:336C1CBE-2A51-4B62-B83D-46C35C557B74@microsoft.com... > I bought a computer with publisher bundled (no cd). Now I want to put it > on > my new laptop. How do I move it from the desktop computer to the > laptop???? > > Cliff I...

Average speed #2
Hi all Having trouble working out average speed. miles in a1 =14.3 time in B1 = 0:50:23 this cell has been formatted to HH:MM:SS The formula A1/B1 brings back the wrong answer if I alter to A1/(B1*24) still does not work correctly. Advise please. Thanks Jon "jon" <jon@nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4659eb9a$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net... > Hi all > Having trouble working out average speed. > > miles in a1 =14.3 > time in B1 = 0:50:23 this cell has been formatted to HH:MM:SS > > The formula A1/B1 brings back the wrong answer if I al...