pasting linked cell from Exc and maintaining formatting no matter

I am linking a data cell from Excel into Word.

I am using the paste special, paste link: unformatted text

I make adjustments to the font and font size in Word. I goto Excel, and I
modify the text in the cell and go back to Word and it changes.

How can I get the formatting to stay the same, no matter what?

In the WOrd document, press Alt+F9 to display the field codes and add the \*
charformat switch inside the closing }, replacing \* mergeformat if it is
there.  Now apply the desired formatting to the L of Link then press Alt+F9
again to toggle off the display of the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"JEB" <JEB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am linking a data cell from Excel into Word.
>
> I am using the paste special, paste link: unformatted text
>
> I make adjustments to the font and font size in Word. I goto Excel, and I
> modify the text in the cell and go back to Word and it changes.
>
> How can I get the formatting to stay the same, no matter what?

0
Doug
4/8/2010 2:19:43 AM
That worked when the information was modified or completely changed within
the same file, but what about the cases where you change the link to a
different file (but the same corresponding cell)?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> In the WOrd document, press Alt+F9 to display the field codes and add the \*
> charformat switch inside the closing }, replacing \* mergeformat if it is
> there.  Now apply the desired formatting to the L of Link then press Alt+F9
> again to toggle off the display of the field codes.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "JEB" <JEB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am linking a data cell from Excel into Word.
> >
> > I am using the paste special, paste link: unformatted text
> >
> > I make adjustments to the font and font size in Word. I goto Excel, and I
> > modify the text in the cell and go back to Word and it changes.
> >
> > How can I get the formatting to stay the same, no matter what?

Have you tried pressing F9 to update the field?

--

> That worked when the information was modified or completely changed within
> the same file, but what about the cases where you change the link to a
> different file (but the same corresponding cell)?
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> In the WOrd document, press Alt+F9 to display the field codes and add the
>> \*
>> charformat switch inside the closing }, replacing \* mergeformat if it is
>> there.  Now apply the desired formatting to the L of Link then press
>> Alt+F9
>> again to toggle off the display of the field codes.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "JEB" <JEB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am linking a data cell from Excel into Word.
>> >
>> > I am using the paste special, paste link: unformatted text
>> >
>> > I make adjustments to the font and font size in Word. I goto Excel, and
>> > modify the text in the cell and go back to Word and it changes.
>> >
>> > How can I get the formatting to stay the same, no matter what?

0
Doug
4/22/2010 5:06:44 AM
Yes, and it reformats the text and sometimes, all kinds of weird things happen.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> Have you tried pressing F9 to update the field?
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "JEB" <JEB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That worked when the information was modified or completely changed within
> > the same file, but what about the cases where you change the link to a
> > different file (but the same corresponding cell)?

Even with the \* charformat switch?

--

> Yes, and it reformats the text and sometimes, all kinds of weird things
> happen.
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried pressing F9 to update the field?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.

>> "JEB" <JEB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > That worked when the information was modified or completely changed
>> > within
>> > the same file, but what about the cases where you change the link to a
>> > different file (but the same corresponding cell)?

0
Doug

Paragraph formating jumps to defaults.
Hi, We are using Office/Outlook 2007 We have an email signature script that is run when users login, it´s working ok except for two things; If the default paragraph settings in Word 2007 for a user matches those in the signature script, the signature will use the "Base defaults" of Word 2007, that is SpaceAfter = 10 and LineSpacing = "Multiple" with a value of 1,15. So if I change the script to use SpaceAfter=0 and the user has set his/her Word 2007 to use SpaceAfter=0, the result will be SpaceAfter=10. If the script is set to SpaceAfter=0 and the us...

How to link with an Access DB
Hi, I have an Acces DB with many tables. I need to choose the name of a customer in a cell of Excel. For example, in acces I have this tables: Table1 Id Name Last Name City I need to choose the last name from a drop down menu in a spreadsheet and then in other cell I need to put all the data regarding the last name that I choose. I hope to be exaustive, and sorry for my english. :-) Many Thanks Stefano ...

if cell is text move left one column

Prevent clicking on a cell

Where is the lasso feature in 2008? (was in formatting palette in 2004)

Formatting a subtotal line with a macro

formatting auto replies
Does anyone know of a method that allows outlook 2k2 to format automatic replies regardless of the format of the original message? I setup this automatic response rule that replies with a template, but problem is, when replying to http clients (hotmail or yahoo), the message at the receiver's end has words totally misplaced, all over the page. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Table link documentation

Separating Date and Time in a cell

Format for credit card numbers

Outlook 2003

Automatic changes in cells

Varying format
Is there any way to format a cell differently depending on the number of decimal places typed in? What I need is a minimum of 2dp but 3 if the typed entry matches. eg 1.2 appears as 1.20 and 1.234 appears as typed. TIA Ian Hi! Try formatting the cell with a custom number format such as 0.00## Al -- Alf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27494 "AlfD" <AlfD.1f5q6o@excelforum-nospam.c...

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Calculating on alphabetic cell content

Sorting Cells by Colors

Time Format Question
Hello, I currently have time entered like this: 173517 90207 I need to look like this: 5:35 p.m. 9:02 a.m. I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so far. Thank you. With your values in column AA, try: =TIME(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-4),LEFT(RIGHT(A1,4),2),RIGHT(A1,2)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "Toria" wrote: > Hello, > I currently have time entered like this: > 173517 > 90207 > > I need to look like this: > 5:35 p.m. > 9:02 a.m. > > I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so fa...

difficult format
I want to format a code like this: ##.0001.## so then i push it down and gives me 0002 and so on, the other ## r numbers. The problem is that when i do that, it sums in the last two numbers instead of what i want, so i ask if it is possible to format like this: (text)##.(number)0001.(text)## so it guives me the sum of number then do what i want. if it is possible how ca i do that? Thanks You can try this, starting in row 1: ="##."&TEXT(ROW(),"0000")&".##" You'll have to adjust the "Row()" number when starting in any other row. For example,...