page numbering - to start at Section 4 and continue...

Hi

I am using Word 2007 - and have looked on the boards for answers but those I
have tried haven't worked!

I am working on a dissertation and have created sections for Title page/
Contents/ List of Illustrations and want {Page} of {Numpages} to start at
Section 4 - Introduction and continue through the rest of the sections/
chapters (so far up to 11 sections). The first page of the Introduction is
currently page 4 but I want to start the numbering there with page 1. I seem
either to get numbering on all pages - or on the first page of each section
and not the rest of the section/chapter. (The headers are set to different
first pages as I am using running headers which I don't need on the first
page of a chapter and that seems to be working)
Where am I going wrong - and how can I put it right please?

Many thanks!

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/front_matter_2007.htm, with
careful attention to the caveats about unlinking headers/footers in order to
omit numbering.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Kathryn" <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am using Word 2007 - and have looked on the boards for answers but those
> have tried haven't worked!
>
> I am working on a dissertation and have created sections for Title page/
> Contents/ List of Illustrations and want {Page} of {Numpages} to start at
> Section 4 - Introduction and continue through the rest of the sections/
> chapters (so far up to 11 sections). The first page of the Introduction is
> currently page 4 but I want to start the numbering there with page 1. I
> seem
> either to get numbering on all pages - or on the first page of each
> section
> and not the rest of the section/chapter. (The headers are set to different
> first pages as I am using running headers which I don't need on the first
> page of a chapter and that seems to be working)
> Where am I going wrong - and how can I put it right please?
>
> Many thanks!

0
Suzanne
4/18/2010 5:31:10 PM
Thanks Suzanne

That looks really helpful - all I need to do now is work through it!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/front_matter_2007.htm, with
> careful attention to the caveats about unlinking headers/footers in order to
> omit numbering.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Kathryn" <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I am using Word 2007 - and have looked on the boards for answers but those
> > have tried haven't worked!
> >
> > I am working on a dissertation and have created sections for Title page/
> > Contents/ List of Illustrations and want {Page} of {Numpages} to start at
> > Section 4 - Introduction and continue through the rest of the sections/
> > chapters (so far up to 11 sections). The first page of the Introduction is
> > currently page 4 but I want to start the numbering there with page 1. I
> > seem
> > either to get numbering on all pages - or on the first page of each
> > section
> > and not the rest of the section/chapter. (The headers are set to different
> > first pages as I am using running headers which I don't need on the first
> > page of a chapter and that seems to be working)
> > Where am I going wrong - and how can I put it right please?
> >
> > Many thanks!
> >

> .

Yes, it is the sort of document that it's helpful to print out for
reference, as there are many fine points that you don't always grasp the
first time through!

--

> Thanks Suzanne
>
> That looks really helpful - all I need to do now is work through it!
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/front_matter_2007.htm, with
>> careful attention to the caveats about unlinking headers/footers in order
>> omit numbering.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Kathryn" <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I am using Word 2007 - and have looked on the boards for answers but
>> > those
>> > have tried haven't worked!
>> >
>> > I am working on a dissertation and have created sections for Title
>> > page/
>> > Contents/ List of Illustrations and want {Page} of {Numpages} to start
>> > at
>> > Section 4 - Introduction and continue through the rest of the sections/
>> > chapters (so far up to 11 sections). The first page of the Introduction
>> > is
>> > currently page 4 but I want to start the numbering there with page 1. I
>> > seem
>> > either to get numbering on all pages - or on the first page of each
>> > section
>> > and not the rest of the section/chapter. (The headers are set to
>> > different
>> > first pages as I am using running headers which I don't need on the
>> > first
>> > page of a chapter and that seems to be working)
>> > Where am I going wrong - and how can I put it right please?
>> >
>> > Many thanks!
>> >

>> .

0
Suzanne

How do I make numbers become text?
I am trying to create a spreadsheet where numbers entered in one location become text in another. I tried the Help option, but I am still lost. Please help, and thank you. From earlier postings: How to Convert a Numeric Value into English Words http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN- US;140704& and: (courtesy of a cut and paste from a Tom Ogilvy post): If you want an addin that provides a worksheet function that does this, download Laurent Longre's free morefunc.xll addin found here: http://longre.free.fr/english/ It is downloaded in a zip file which also conta...

Excel
Is there a way to change an imported number such as: 7042626598 and display it as a phone number like: (704) 262-6598 ? Thank you, Be -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Ben, Yes you can format the cells containing the 10 digit number to a phone number. Highlight all the required cell and on the Main menu choose Format/Cells/Number/Special/Phone Number Charlie O'Neill >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to change an imported number such as: > >7042626598 and display it as a phone number like: > >(704) 262-6598 > >? > > >...

page header and footer not showing in form view
I have an unbound form where the page header and footer are visible in design view, but not in form view (with the window large enough to view the whole form -including the H/F and detail secions) Is the form corrupt? (it's a very simple form and can easily be recreated), or am I missing a toggle somewhere? thanks in advance, mark Mark Access offers BOTH page headers/footers and form headers/footers. Which one(s) are you using? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this ...

How to make Excel treat the dates AS DATES which are taken from a Web Page ?
Hi guyz, i have a web page which has a column in which dates are given in the following format dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss which is a perfectly acceptable format for excel, then i opened this web page through excel so as to parse the data into different columns, but when i proceeded to perform some operations like month() weeknum() etc on the date column, excel returned errors of !value, ie excel is still treating that perfect date column as text, and no.... changing the format of the cells didnt help, so people plz advise as to how to make excel treat that column as a proper date column so as to allow...

Problem printing Word doc with links to other Word files: only 1st pages
Hi all, My word Doc contains links to other documents. With code visible it looks like: {LINK Word.Document.8 "Full file name 1" "" \a \p } {LINK Word.Document.8 "Full file name 2" "" \a \p } etcetera If I view the master document or print it, only the first page of each linked document is visible/printed. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance Jan Objects linked via OLE cannot exceed a page. You can use INCLUDETEXT fields instead; see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/includetextfields.htm. Note that if you are using Word ...

Money 2007 Business Section
A couple things I found in the Money 2007 business section that cause definite problems. 1. When invoicing, there's no way to include the date that the time took place on the invoice. So there is no way to show your client what date the service you're billing them for took place. There is no report in the system that displays the time data with the date, so it can't be exported or reported on either. This seems like an obvious flaw, but evidently it's OK since it was the same in 2006. That makes it correct, so it won't be fixed (per MS). 2. When invoicing tim...

Music on Vista start-up
I've edited a piece of music from a CD and would like to program it to play on Vista start-up. Is this possible? Any advice (sage or straight forward) would be much appreciated. Thanks, JR Brand. If it's a wav file you can assign it as the start-up sound. See this link for more info. It apllies to Vista as well as XP. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/personalize/sounds.mspx "JR Brand" <jimrenwickj@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:C221A918-EEBE-402F-9264-0F6BC329D2EC@microsoft.com... > I've edited a piece of music from a CD and ...

CRM 4.0 DESKTOP client for Outlook don't load all options (?)
Today I found some problem in CRM Desktop Outlook client...when I try to create e-mail quick campaign I did't find option "e-mail via mail merge" and the same option for list. In CRM menu (in Outlook) under Otions I didn't found "synchronization" tab. After restart Outlook for few hours all was ok, but after I observed the same situation, restart and all is ok... Is some solution of this problem... ...

Item level revision numbers on POs
The Item Engineering info on inventory items in manufacturing includes revision numbers for items, however because that info is in the manufacturing dictionary we can't include through report writer on POs. I'd like to develop a routine that would copy the revision number from the item engineering table to one of the user-defined tables in inventory. Any suggestions on how to do that? Or an alternate approach to the problem? -- Jim@TurboChef Jim- This script will put the current Rev level from Item Engineering into User Category 1 on the item master. update iv00101 set usca...

How to stop tracking a Contact in CRM 4.0
How do I stop tracking an Outlook Contact that has been set to "Track in CRM" Hi Ken, The "Track in CRM" for contacts turns to "View in CRM" when a matching contact record is created in the CRM database. If you no longer want that contact in CRM then you can delete it, then it will say "Track in CRM" again. "Ken Florian" wrote: > How do I stop tracking an Outlook Contact that has been set to "Track in CRM" ...

Excel formula help #4
Hello! Can somone help me with this formula 2004:21-0-1-1-11 in this cell i wan't to get out "21" 2005:2-0-0-0-1 in this cell i wan't to get out "2" My result from the formula is "-21" and ":2-" is there a formula that i can use on both and get the result "21" and "2"? I want to add the together at the end and get the result "23" but with : and - i only get error. -- johhny ------------------------------------------------------------------------ johhny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?act...

Tabbing into continuous subform ignores the first control
When I tab into the subform, from the last position in the main form, the focus moves to the second control in the continuous subform except on the first record entered in a session. I shift+tab back to the first control and the tabbing is normal from then on until the next record gets to the subform. The order of the controls on the subform is the same as the fields in the underlying table and the effect is the same in Datasheet view (of the subform). This first control on the subform is a combo box if that effects anything. Is there a way to get the tabbing right? ern. No, I thought the...

error numbers
Does anyone know if microsoft has a way to look up errors and their resolution by ERROR NUMBER? I have never found anything like that. Now they have something called "Events and Errors Message Center" but even that doesn't appear to let one look up errors by error number! Thanks Hi, Fredrated schrieb: > Does anyone know if microsoft has a way to look up errors and their > resolution by ERROR NUMBER? > > I have never found anything like that. Now they have something called > "Events and Errors Message Center" but even that doesn't appear to...

Outlook vs. webaccess crm 4.0
Hi 1) Could someone specify the pros and cons (especially the difference in the "functionality" options) for the end users - if they use the Outlook client or if they use a Webbrowser? 2) What are most common ? thanks for any feedback... It's true you can do everything on the web version or the Outlook version. The biggest feature of CRM is the fact you can everything inside of Outlook and not have to go a different application. Outlook: 1 - Easier concept for end users (especially Sales folk) to grasp. "you don't need to learn a new application - it's ju...

Conver Numbers to Log 10
How do I convert column of numbers (n=3000) to log 10 column of numbers? Assuming that your column is column A, one way: In an unused column, enter =LOG(A1) and copy down 3000 cells. Copy the column, choose column A and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values radio button. In article <0CDE6301-FC9C-488C-9D9F-3AD26B46EFCE@microsoft.com>, "Fishfan" <Fishfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I convert column of numbers (n=3000) to log 10 column of numbers? ...

What is the maximum number of users that can share Excel File?
According to the Excel Help file, all users on your network, unless you restrict the number. "pfine" wrote: > ...

Same image/every page
Hi I'm wondering if it is possible to have a png image appear automatically on every page. It needs to sit behind the text, and to further complicate things, needs to shift with the gutter depending on whether it is on a left or right page. This is of course a breeze with a page layout app but the client insists the project be completed in Word. Alternatively, is there something like a Paste in Place command in Word? TIA mw maxxwitt wrote: > Hi > I'm wondering if it is possible to have a png image appear > automatically on every page. It needs to sit behind the text, and ...

Invalid page fault #4
When I start up Outlook a message displays this program has performed an Illegal Operation. Further explanation describes " Outlook caused an invalid page fault in clthood.dll @0197:61c05319". Just started doing this. When I try to reinstall Outlook, I get a message Unable to run setup. Any suggestions? Hi, Are you sure that the name of the file is correct ? Is it clthood.dll ??? Please verify .. Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sudharson.AN "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4cf201c3ffcf$168c6a40$a001280a@phx.gbl... > ...

lookup row number
Hi, can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. EG say I have a list of names as below: Andrew Mike Steve Ian Paul I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the extra column by using the row formula someohow? Thanks Hi Michael Try the below.. =MATCH("Mike",A:A,0) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Michael" wrote: > Hi, > can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. > > EG say I hav...

Tree view of wiki pages: is it possible???
Hi all, I'm building a wiki site and I'd like to have on the left side menu (the quick launch menu) somehting like a tree view that let me easy navigate the wiki pages... maybe a wiki library is not what I need, because none will add or remove contents... basically I'm using a site as an "instruction book"... and the tree view should make easy to navigate the differents web pages... any suggestion??? Thanks Vit On Mar 19, 5:59=A0pm, Vit <fina...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I'm building a wiki site and I'd like to have...

Maximum number of bits
I have a requirement to find the maximum number of consecutive zeros in a row in a 32 bit binary number. For example 1111 1111 1111 1000 1111 1111 0000 1111 = 4 1111 1110 1111 1110 1111 1111 1110 1111 = 1 I am actually storing the number in a BIGINT for simplicity. I can do this in a udf with a look fairly easily but was wondering if there is something more sql that will do the job. Cheers, Michael That's an interesting question. Does it include leading zeroes? 0000 0000 0111 1000 1111 1111 0000 1111 = 9? -- Thanks Michael Coles SQL Server MVP ...

customizations import from 3.0 to 4.0
Is is possible to import customizations into a 4.0 system that were exported from a 3.0 install? You will need to upgrade 3.0 implementation to 4.0 by running MS CRM 4.0 setup. Please go through Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Installing Guide. You can download this guide from folowing URL http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1CEB5E01-DE9F-48C0-8CE2-51633EBF4714&displaylang=en I don't think that there is any supported way through which you can import 3.0 Customization file to 4.0 implementation. Cheers, Rohit "Leo_B" wrote: > Is is possible to im...

print preview does not match page i am working on
In this white space (not the subject line), let us about the problem in more detail If print preview is showing only part of the worksheet, then you need to reset the print area in the File | Print Area dialogs best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "gillygalloo" <gillygalloo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9739F8B9-CBC6-4722-88FA-AEC01F6348FC@microsoft.com... > ...

can one cell contain more than one independent number
A cell can contain several numbers, separated by space characters or line breaks (Alt+Enter). However, if you want to perform calculations on the numbers, it's best to keep them in separate cells. John K wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html there's also the option a using matrix formula (list of data) for example you may enter ={1;2;3} in a single cell or selection 'and validate wih CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER but the manipulation of this kinda of formula need to read more about it... ...

Payroll posting accounts #4
I am trying to set up information in the payroll posting accounts, when I am in the Employer´s Tax Expense window I can not fill the SUTA & FUTA code. It displays: "This is not a valid tax witholding code". What can I do to solve it? -- Jorge R. HI Jorge, Just give any dummy account as you are not calucting the SUTA and FUTA then system won't do anything but is require so please full fill all the posting account setup requirement before you proceed. "Jorge" wrote: > I am trying to set up information in the payroll posting accounts, when I am > ...