Page number functions in Word are dimmed and don't work. What now

I use Office Home & Student 2007.  I cannot insert page numbers into my Word
document.  I could not find Microsoft Office's "Add-ins" either.  What can I
do to restore the page numbering function?

Place your cursor in a header or footer.

On Feb 8, 7:19=A0pm, A Tai <a...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I use Office Home & Student 2007. =A0I cannot insert page numbers into my=
 Word
> document. =A0I could not find Microsoft Office's "Add-ins" either. =A0Wha=
t can I
> do to restore the page numbering function?

0
Peter
2/9/2010 5:40:49 AM
A page number can be inserted anywhere; it doesn't have to be in the header
or footer. A PAGE field inserted in the document body (using "Current
Position") will display the current page number.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

On Feb 8, 7:19 pm, A Tai <a...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I use Office Home & Student 2007. I cannot insert page numbers into my
> Word
> document. I could not find Microsoft Office's "Add-ins" either. What can I
> do to restore the page numbering function?

0
Suzanne
2/9/2010 5:52:08 AM
Will that help A Tai?

On Feb 9, 12:52=A0am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> A page number can be inserted anywhere; it doesn't have to be in the head=
er
> or footer. A PAGE field inserted in the document body (using "Current
> Position") will display the current page number.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote in messagenews:fbdc1e66-=
fc0b-4f38-abec-c136688e36f1@h2g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...
> Place your cursor in a header or footer.
>
> On Feb 8, 7:19 pm, A Tai <a...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> > I use Office Home & Student 2007. I cannot insert page numbers into my
> > Word
> > document. I could not find Microsoft Office's "Add-ins" either. What ca=
n I
> > do to restore the page numbering function?-
0
Peter
2/9/2010 4:10:32 PM
Will your answer? If the page number button is unavailable, there must be
some explanation other than that the insertion point is not in the header or
footer.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@verizon.net> wrote in message
Will that help A Tai?

On Feb 9, 12:52 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> A page number can be inserted anywhere; it doesn't have to be in the
> header
> or footer. A PAGE field inserted in the document body (using "Current
> Position") will display the current page number.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote in
> messagenews:fbdc1e66-fc0b-4f38-abec-c136688e36f1@h2g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...
> Place your cursor in a header or footer.
>
> On Feb 8, 7:19 pm, A Tai <a...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> > I use Office Home & Student 2007. I cannot insert page numbers into my
> > Word
> > document. I could not find Microsoft Office's "Add-ins" either. What can
> > do to restore the page numbering function?-

0
Suzanne

Counting number of words in a sentence and highlighting or commenting
Hi, I found some old code, from Helmut of Bavaria I believe, that is supposed to find long sentences in a document: Sub test002() Dim rDcm As Range ' the documents main story range Dim oWrd As Object ' a word Dim oSnt As Object ' a sentence Dim oPrg As Paragraph ' a paragraph Dim lWrd As Long ' a counter for words Dim lSnt As Long ' a counter for sentences Dim lPrg As Long ' a counter for paragraphs Set rDcm = ActiveDocument.Range For Each oPrg In rDcm.Paragraphs lPrg = lPrg + 1 lSnt = 0 For Each oSnt I...

Text to Number
Is there an automated way in which I can convert a text data type to a number data type? Please Help Hafeez Esmail Check out the Val() function. -- Cheryl Fischer Law/Sys Associates Houston, TX "Hafeez Esmail" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:002d01c38f3a$1bb41e10$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there an automated way in which I can convert a text > data type to a number data type? > > Please Help > > Hafeez Esmail Try CInt(stringVar) [Convert to Integer function] CLng(stringVar) [Convert to Long Integer function] >-----Original Mes...

Change a positive number to negative number
I have a column of positive numbers that I need to change to negativ numbers. Is there an easy way to do this? Right now I manualy make th change. Thank you, Pa -- patowen ----------------------------------------------------------------------- patowens's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2456 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38155 patowens, put -1 in an empty cell, copy that cell, select the numbers you want to change, right click and paste special, check multiply, OK. -- Paul B Always backup your data before tr...

Calendar control in Word 2003
I'm making a form which uses the calendar control 11.0 in Word 2003. I've managed to do so using: www. fontstuff.com/word/wordtut03a.htm This works fine on my form. However, the form is to be used at work, on a network (some staff use Citrix, some use PC's). I had to install the calendar control on my PC as described in the link. Only when I am logged on is the calendar useable- I'm assuming other users may have to have it installed, but the trouble is that we are a small department withing a large sector, so, is there any way around this as I doubt my chances at getting the c...

Book/doc on converting XP program to work nicely on Vista?
Any good books or documentation, things I should know about what worked fine on XP that won't work on Vista, what needs to be modified in the program to get it to work nicely on Vista, umm, stuff like that? What's a better way than Journal Hooks for a program to record it's own keystrokes? Journal hooks was always problematic if other programs were running that didn't process their messages correctly, and now on Vista I hear journal hooks have been disabled. try Microsoft Application Verifier. "David Deley" <deleyd@gte.net> wrote in message news:vTqVi.1...

Message Preview doesn't work correctly for every email
We have deployed Outlook 2007 to all the computers here in our office and all of us are experiencing the same problem with the message preview pane. When you click on an email in the list, the preview pane usually updates and shows the contents of the message. For some emails, however, only the header details (From, Sent, To) update after the email is clicked. The preview will show the last message that was previewed. Now comes the strange part - If i double click the message to open it in its own window, the message is displayed in the new window correctly and then the preview pane...

Colors matching on a page ....
Has anybody had any problems with creating a document in Publisher and using more than one color on the page, but having more than one color appear when printing? I have checked the color of the font and they are all the same...but when I print, one line may come out one color and the next one, another. Close...but not the same. And I have checked to make sure they are the same colors in every aspect. They are...until I print????? Why is this happening and how can I fix it? Liz wrote: > Has anybody had any problems with creating a document in Publisher > and using more than ...

number of lines on a word document
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I want to produce a long, double-spaced document with the same number of lines on each page, not one that flips to a new page if the end paragraph is too large to fit. Can anyone help? Maintaining a constant number of lines per page is dependent on at least 2 factors: 1- Using the same font & font size throughout, & 2- Turning off Widow/Orphan control in Format> Paragraph - Line & Page Breaks. Due to the proportional spacing considerations of modern word processing -- which is more closely akin to typesetting than typewr...

Counting the number of times more than 1 variable occurs
I need to determine how many Separations were processed by a particular salesperson. A | B 1 MIKE | SEPARATION 2 MIKE | LEAVE 3 SARA | SEPARATION 4 JOE | SEPARATION 5 JAMIE | LEAVE 6 MIKE | LEAVE 7 JOE | LEAVE 8 SARA | SEPARATION The only way I can think of is the COUNTIF Funtion *COUNTIF(-range,criteria-)* =COUNTIF(A1:A8,(A1:A8="MIKE")*(B1:B8="SEPARATION")) This does not work though. The results return 0 with no errors when the answer should be 1. does anyone else know of a wa...

How do I work in excel and then save it as a doc or docx?
I need to be able to work in excell and then save it in doc or docx format. If I cannot do this, can I make doc or docx so that I can use the automatic sum? In Word, you can use AutoSum of the Tables and Borders toolbar to sum the values in table. But when you change the values, you need to right-click the total value to refresh it. It can not update auto. Lee Li Fong http://smartusemicrosoftoffice.blogspot.com/ Hi Nadine, You can open a Word document and Insert -> Object -> Microsoft Excel Worksheet Ed Ferrero www.edferrero.com ...

Saving as web page
When publishing spreadsheets as web pages I would like to set the page to fit within a full screen view. I have some that fit and some that don't and I've worked with the formats in Excel to fit everything within the screen on all of them, but that doesn't seem to help. Can I set the format to do this? Thank you in advance for your assistance. Jeff ...

create a letter with the data fron work sheet
i have a data sheet for the order.like people order staff lik tea,coffee...etc,i ve data including date,name,department,.....etc. when i put the data i want a letter format which picks up the data fro the sheet then i can send it to the person who made the order as confirmatino letter. like it the letter starts dear "......"(it could pick the name fro c1) also how can i create this letter? does it have to be in excel ?? help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!:( :( :( : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com As answered in microsoft.public.excel and microsoft.public....

trouble with functions
Hi, I am fairly new to excel and I am trying to get to grip with the workings of functions. Is there a way to make a function execute everytime I input a value into a box ? For example I want to be able to subtract 50 from a value ( in B4) everytime I enter a value ( in A4). At the moment I can get the function to work once but not repeatedly. I hope that makes sense Thank you in advance Craig ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi, With a func...

Page Break Preview editing
How do I get rid of the background picture that reads Page1 or Page2 etc... in page break preview? Even if I delete all the page breaks, they still have the one picture that says Page1 in the background. -- TGree ------------------------------------------------------------------------ TGree's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14744 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=263634 Hi in this view: not possible. You have to switch to the normal view -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "TGree" <TGree.1d...

Working offline with customize entities
I have created 2 custom entities in MS CRM. Now when I work offline in my Outlook CRM for Laptop, the custom entities are not populated with records. Any suggestions? I checked my roles, it allows me to work offline. Does this mean that custom entity records are not able to work in offline mode? Please help. You will need to set up the sync of custom entity records in the Outlook Client. This can be done by specifying which entities are to be synched using Local Data Groups in the Tools menu (i m not sure if its in the Tools/CRM menu. Pls check) HTH, Niths "Benjsoft" wr...

Money 2006 Pocket PC does not work
I installed the downloaded money 2006 ppc to my new Dell Axim x51v that comes with windows mobile 5.0 installed. The installation process seems ok, however, when I tried to run it form Axim it poped up a message said some components not found and I need reinstall the program. Anyone know the solution? Thanks, A. Don't think mobile 5 is supported. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/271.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specif...

Automatic Numbering #4
Is there a way to automatic number a spreadsheet? For instances... if I were to start on column A and row 2 with number 1, would this be possible to continue numbering going down the spreadsheet? Please assist. Javster. you could grab the fill handle, the little black square in the bottom right hand, right click and drag down and fill series or put = A2 +1 in A3 and copy down -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "J...

Word document attachment can not be read
We are using Office XP SP3 and Exchange 2000 with SP3. Some of our users will send Word documents as attachments in an email from Outlook that when you open the attachment, word goes into file conversion because it can't read the document. Typically, they send it again and it opens fine. Sometimes it has taken two or three tries. It is random and inconsistent. I have not been able to duplicate it. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks. ...

Removal of 100's of spacing in numbers
I want to be able to use the replace command, but it won’t find the spaces for me. When I copy tables with numbers from various sources, I get spaces inside and after the numbers. E.g. “1 234 “ I know the use of SUBSTITUTE and other functions, but it is not an effective way of working when there are so many columns. I have tried to change the cell format to text, but still no luck in finding the spaces with the replace command. Might be some other character. Place your cursor between 1 and 2 and copy Select the columns with numbers Press Ctrl+H In the Find box press Ctrl+...

matching columns of numbers

How do I print only odd pages in Publisher and then only even page
I am attempting duplex printing with a printer that is unable to do duplex printing by printing odd pages first and then flipping the pages over and printing only even pages. No option is given that I can find in the print window. Help! Sarah Wright wrote: > I am attempting duplex printing with a printer that is unable to do > duplex printing by printing odd pages first and then flipping the > pages over and printing only even pages. > > No option is given that I can find in the print window. > > Help! The duplex printing add-in can be found here (http://publisherm...

Page break preview & blue line
I using Excel 2003 In page break preview I have always do some thing wrong I'm just pull the blue line by using mouse all page was destroyed It there any tips to return the blue line to the Default pages size setting As far as I know the 'default' print area is all the data, and once you have changed the print area and saved the file you can not get it to go back to the previous setting. If you have problems with this or any other proceedure do try to remember to save your file before you do the awkward bit and then you can go back to the saved copy it it does not work. ...

Function doesn't run
In my spreadsheet, I have the following function =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the cell. How do I fix this problem? Format the cell as General and re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Justin" <jmeyer@incrementaladvantage.com> wrote in message news:1165596899.059148.31580@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com... | In my spreadsheet, I have the following function | =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) | However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the | cell. How do I fix th...

Color not working
I am operating Windows 2000, using Office Pro 2003. I am no longer able to format my cells with colors, either shading or text coloring. I have run the repair feature, but it didn't work. Bold, Underline, and similar functions still work. Please help. Thanks. CC Have a look at this: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 Biff >-----Original Message----- >I am operating Windows 2000, using Office Pro 2003. I am >no longer able to format my cells with colors, either >shading or text coloring....