Outline View's limited column width

This appears like a big lack of forethought. Word's Outline View is touted as
ideal view for laying out thoughts for a document, but the usable column
width is only about 6.5 inches. My usable screen width four times that at
about 24" wide. What a waste. Usint higher outline levels strings out the
'body text' paragraphs vertically in a very impractical way. It makes the the
column is so narrow as to be almost useless ~ only three or four words wide.
I have found no way of changing the column width! Neither page width or page
orientation helps this. Any suggestions?
--
dbuchanan

If you are using Word 2007, try the following: Click the Office button and
then click Word Options. In the Advanced category, select "Show text wrapped
within the document window" (found under "Show document content") and click
OK.

The corresponding option for Word 2003 ("Wrap to window") can be found on
the View tab of Tools | Options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"dbuchanan" <dbuchanan@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> This appears like a big lack of forethought. Word's Outline View is touted
> as
> ideal view for laying out thoughts for a document, but the usable column
> width is only about 6.5 inches. My usable screen width four times that at
> about 24" wide. What a waste. Usint higher outline levels strings out the
> 'body text' paragraphs vertically in a very impractical way. It makes the
> the
> column is so narrow as to be almost useless ~ only three or four words
> wide.
> I have found no way of changing the column width! Neither page width or
> page
> orientation helps this. Any suggestions?
> --
> dbuchanan

2
Stefan
3/8/2010 2:04:27 PM
Thank you Stefan.
It seems odd that this setting is hidden in such an obscure location from
where it is really needed. (I was ready to give up on outline view because of
its uselessness.)
--
dbuchanan

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> If you are using Word 2007, try the following: Click the Office button and
> then click Word Options. In the Advanced category, select "Show text wrapped
> within the document window" (found under "Show document content") and click
> OK.
>
> The corresponding option for Word 2003 ("Wrap to window") can be found on
> the View tab of Tools | Options.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "dbuchanan" <dbuchanan@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> > This appears like a big lack of forethought. Word's Outline View is touted
> > as
> > ideal view for laying out thoughts for a document, but the usable column
> > width is only about 6.5 inches. My usable screen width four times that at
> > about 24" wide. What a waste. Usint higher outline levels strings out the
> > 'body text' paragraphs vertically in a very impractical way. It makes the
> > the
> > column is so narrow as to be almost useless ~ only three or four words
> > wide.
> > I have found no way of changing the column width! Neither page width or
> > page
> > orientation helps this. Any suggestions?
> > --
> > dbuchanan
>

> .

You are welcome.

In Word 2007, at least, many options are in obscure locations... :-)

To be more specific, the categories in the Word Options dialog box aren't
very descriptive; in particular, this applies to "Popular" (with whom?) and
"Advanced" (for whom?).

--

> Thank you Stefan.
> It seems odd that this setting is hidden in such an obscure location from
> where it is really needed. (I was ready to give up on outline view because
> of
> its uselessness.)
> --
> dbuchanan
>

> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> If you are using Word 2007, try the following: Click the Office button
>> and
>> then click Word Options. In the Advanced category, select "Show text
>> wrapped
>> within the document window" (found under "Show document content") and
>> click
>> OK.
>>
>> The corresponding option for Word 2003 ("Wrap to window") can be found on
>> the View tab of Tools | Options.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "dbuchanan" <dbuchanan@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>> > This appears like a big lack of forethought. Word's Outline View is
>> > touted
>> > as
>> > ideal view for laying out thoughts for a document, but the usable
>> > column
>> > width is only about 6.5 inches. My usable screen width four times that
>> > at
>> > about 24" wide. What a waste. Usint higher outline levels strings out
>> > the
>> > 'body text' paragraphs vertically in a very impractical way. It makes
>> > the
>> > the
>> > column is so narrow as to be almost useless ~ only three or four words
>> > wide.
>> > I have found no way of changing the column width! Neither page width or
>> > page
>> > orientation helps this. Any suggestions?
>> > --
>> > dbuchanan
>>

>> .

0
Stefan

How to protect a column?
Hi! I would like to protect some hidden columns. When I choose "protection" in the menu, I only find the possibility to define area to be modifed but I would like to do the opposite: define which areas can�t be modified. How can I do this? Thanks. -- xpucto ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xpucto's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23748 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=374127 Is there some kinf of options to protect all hidden columns? Or to protect function...

Displaying specific columns on a continuous style form`
Is there a way to code a continuous style form so that specific records in the list will trigger other records to either be visible or not as the rows build down the form? I have two examples where I need to selectively highlight textboxes on a continuous style form but have only been successful in either having those textboxes be either on or off. Are you asking about conditional formatting of certain textboxes based on their value? If so, use the conditional formatting routine. If not, could you explain further what you are trying to accomplish? Damon "Cameron" <Came...

Hide column #3
Hi, I have a issue with a script on Excel. I created a scritp to download information (one column of numeric value and one column of alphanumeric value) from a SGBD. When I launched it on a first laptop with Excel 2003 SP3, all is ok. The twice column were display in the sheet. When I launched it on a second laptop with Excel 2003 SP3 too, only the numeric value column was display. Somebody have a idea, please? D. ...

create a data-series based on two different columns of data ?
I need to create a chart (line chart) data series, but based on two different columns of data... Is this possible ? I assume that what you want is one chart data series for two discontinous worksheet series. one method to do this is to plot the first series. with the chart active goto <chart><source data><Series> in the values box afer the listing add a comma and use your curser to select the rest of the data you want to plaot as part of hat series. "Derrick" wrote: > I need to create a chart (line chart) data series, but based on two different > c...

how to view only email address in the address field?
Windows Xp Professional , Outlook 2003 and exchange 2007 We need to be able to just enter email address in the to fields however as soon as a user enters an email address Outlook replaces that with a name but we need to show just the email address. So far under Tools/Options/email options/advanced we have unchecked the boxes for Automatic Name checking and Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields and al;so have renamed the NK2 file but we the beast never goes away! Any suggestions will be appreciated. > Windows Xp Professional , Outlook 2003 and exchange 2007 > >...

Changing all mail views at once
Hi Is there a way of changing all the mail views in all folders at once? Thanks Hi Ian, no sorry, this is not possible. -- Gestern gings noch, ICH habe nichts gemacht! ;-) Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de ...

Print column A on each page
is it possible to print column A on each page as the first column ?? i have the name of the person in column A then i have about 3 pages o figures and i was just wandering if there was a way to print the name first on each page. Many Thanks Ben -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Benn File | Page Setup... | Sheets tab | Columns to repeat at left: $A:$A Regards Trevor "cassy01 >" <<cassy01.12qvuz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:cassy01.12qvuz@excelforum-nospam.com... > is it possible to print column A on each page as the first column ...

naming a column
Hi, Is it possible to give a column a name, instead of A, B, C etc? Thanks a lot in advance. Marieke > Is it possible to give a column a name, instead of A, B, C etc? I'm afraid not. the best you can do is select the column and name it as a named range and then put that nam in (say) row 1. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "mariekek5" wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to give a column a name, instead of A,...

viewing a PDF-File
Hi, how can i view a pfd-file in my mfc application without AcrobatReader? Thanx in advanced and an happy weekend Detlef I've seen, in passing, some PDF libraries that make some claims about being able to do this. Probably the most likely place would be the GNU project, but a google search might be revealing. For example, it took me under one minute to locate, using "pdf library gnu" http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/index.html which could be what you are looking for. joe On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:36:34 +0200, "Detlef" <DetlefMarsch@yahoo.de> wrote: >Hi, ...

Mailbox Limitations?
We currently have a user running Office XP, our server is running Exchange 5.5. Currently her mailbox is 2.8GB in size. Our company never pout any limitations on her account, so needless to say, her mailbox is a dumping and filing ground for her and she refuses to reduce the size. What happens is that now Outlook will freeze sometimes b4 she sends a message. It could be a small attachment or it cold be a large attachment. It just hangs for what ever reason. Does an Exchange Mailbox have the same size limits as a PST file? I am curious how to work around this. I am in the middle of ...

changing background color of columns
Hi! I have a ListView and I'd like to change a background color of individual columns, but no matter if there are some items or not. The whole columns should have changed colors (like in Windows Explorer - XP version). How to do it? Maybe someone could give me a sample of code solving my problem? I would be appreciate. bArT ...

FRx Multi-Column Reports
Here's the scenario: 75 units are in a tree. We need to print multiple units as individual columns. 13 units plus the description will fit comfortably on a landscape page. Units are frequently added. There is a need to print units in a geographic region together. Right now, we have several column layouts and several catalog ids to print the reports. The biggest problem, as you can imagine, is when you need to add a unit which results in modifying each column layout so that a new unit is added to one and then a unit that was printing has to be printed in another layout. It...

COUNT /COUNTIF for Multiple Column Defined Dynamic Named Range #2
Hi Myrna, Thank you very much for your assistance. Tin� Myrna Larson Wrote: > > Look at Help for INDEX for more information on how to return an entir > column. > > =COUNTIF(INDEX(Results,0,1),75) > =COUNTIF(INDEX(Results,0,2),75) > =COUNTIF(INDEX(Results,0,30),75) > > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:02:39 -0500, Tin > <Tin.1epiun@excelforum-nospam.com> > wrote: > > > > >Hi, > > > >Would like to use Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" in Formula. Th > Dynamic > >Named Range "RESULTS" spans 30 COLUMNS and man...

Edit Column Heading
I'm trying to change the column heading on a query (for excel). I'm getting to the "edit column" screen but when I type the heading I would like to show I get the message "Expected lexical element not found: <identifier>" any help would be appreciated. Roger ...

e-mail Word documents and not have columns,etc. change
I'm using MS Word and Outlook Express (Windows XP, Home). I create a newsletter page to e-mail to church that is then published there and also create a webpage that I e-mail to the website administrator, who then enters it onto our site. I don't know much about computers and programs, but am able to e-mail the attachments so that my fonts, colors, pictures, etc. are OK. But the page that they receive doesn't look like the document that I created. No columns, centering, etc. Just horizontal lines on the page. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. This newsgrou...

Address Card View
Does anyone know how to make selected contacts stand out or highlighted in the address card view for Outlook Thanks for any suggestions ...

Sales stage column empty(public view)
Hi all my client would like to see the sales stage on the opportunity default view. There is such a colmn in the view. the problem with it is that it is never updated even though the sales stages change. i dont even see it in the opportunity form. my question is How do i get it (column) to show data? many thanx -- phumulaniluyandacollinlembede There are 2 "Sales Stage" related attributes in the Opportunity. One is called "Sales Stage" (a Picklist) the other is called "Step Name" (a Text field) You need to expose "Step Name" in the View &/o...

Grant Permissions to View Others Calender from the Server Side
I know you could give permission for others to view your calenders from the outlook client. But I need to be able to give permission to view others calenders from the Exchange 2003 server. Anybody could tell me how could I achieve this? Thanks, Dan. Dan, There is no way to grant granular mailbox permissons on the server. You could give them the Full Mailbox Access permission which is located under the Exchange Advanced tab, then click Mailbox Rights, however, you will be giving this user full access to the entire mailbox. "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Portfolio View
Can you add a column on the portflio screen to show the dollar gain or loss for the current year. I can get the % but not sure how to get the dollar In microsoft.public.money, JJ wrote: >Can you add a column on the portflio screen to show the >dollar gain or loss for the current year. I can get the % >but not sure how to get the dollar From the Portfolio view SeeADifferentView->CustomizeCurrentView->PortfolioColumns select an item in Available Columns or Displayed Columns. The description will show in a box to the lower left. What you see is what you can choose from. Si...

Justify text across multiple columns
I have used Edit, Fill, Justify to fill rows with text within the boundaries of a set number of columns, but the text in each row is left justified. How do I justify the text (even spacing) in each row. If I highlight all of the text (multiple columns and rows) and then select Format, Cells, Alignment, Justify; Excel jams all the text into the first column. I know I could use a text box, but I'd prefer not to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. -Dave Hi Dave, Select the cells you want to center on. Under Format > Alignment > Horizontal drop down > Center across se...

sum column with 2 if criteria
=SUMPRODUCT(--('Working Copy'!A3:A1038="WCenterA"),--('Working Copy'!J3:J1038="1"),'Working Copy'!K3:K1038) this is the formula I entered as an array and I get an N/A#. I'm trying to look match 2 criteria and then add the remaining cells in column K. Instead of "WCenterA" I'd like to use a cell reference. I figured a combination of If and SumIF formulas, but couldn't get that to work either! Help!!! Barbara SUMPRODUCT is not an array function. It sounds like you have an #N/A in of 'Working Copy'!K3:K1038. &...

custom views in protected sheet
Is it possible to select custom view with hidden columns while the sheet stays protected? I did try to protect with the option to allow formatting of collumns. Is there any other way? Other than a macro........... my friend would like to be able to just use custom views. Thanks Bill Kuunders ...

mailbox size limits not changing
Exchange 2003, sp2. Windows 2003 sp1 We have placed size limits on our mailboxes. We consistently have 2 problems: 1. users hit their limit & need it to be raised temporarily. We increase the limit but more often thatn not it takes, literally, 8 - 10 hours for the change to take effect. If we remove the limit altogther, that change will take effect very quickly. 2. We have tried to remove limits from a whole store by removing the store from the system policy. This was done yesterday afternoon, but it has not taken effect yet! What can I do to make Exchange mailbox limits work th...

Export to fixed width text file
I need to export an Excel spreadsheet to a fixed width text file--it cannot be tab- or comma-delimited. I've found that Access can do this correctly for me and will let me control the export process. However, my problem is that my company does not support Access so I have to find another method of exporting, and about the only tool I have available is Excel. No matter what I seem to do, it saves it in a tab-delimited format. To try and force it as a fixed width file, I change the font to Courier New, then I save it as a MS-DOS .txt file. Can someone suggest something that may h...

How do I separate first and last names into two columns?
I have received a data base with members' names. Unfortunately the list has the first and last name in one column. I will be adding names and sorting names in alphabetical order. How do I separate the first and last name so that I have two distinct columns -- one for the first name and one for the last name? Thanks for your assistance in this matter. Look at Data>Text To Columns, with a separator of space or comma, depending upon the original data. -- HTH Bob "mllasalle" <mllasalle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E033A9F-C...