Opening an old Word document, date changed to current date

When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to the 
current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. I am 
using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I can 
see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the file, but 
I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date last 
modified for the file.
0
Utf
3/11/2010 3:53:01 PM
word.docmanagement 5542 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
1268 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 26

Press Alt+F9 to toggle the field code display and edit the DATE field code 
to read CREATEDATE. Then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update. The date 
displayed will be the date the document was created, and it will not change.

-- 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"AMYJO" <AMYJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:3286A93E-EABC-44B7-AA66-4415563BA5DF@microsoft.com...
> When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to the
> current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. I 
> am
> using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I can
> see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the file, 
> but
> I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date 
> last
> modified for the file.
> 

0
Suzanne
3/11/2010 4:52:24 PM
You may also need to add a formatting switch to retain the same format - 
Press ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to { CREATEDATE \@ 
"d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your letterhead 
template so that future letters based on it show the correct dates. The 
switch  \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.

See http://www.gmayor.com/stop_automatic_date_update.htm

-- 
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>


"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message 
news:eu5qBtTwKHA.5956@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Press Alt+F9 to toggle the field code display and edit the DATE field code 
> to read CREATEDATE. Then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update. The date 
> displayed will be the date the document was created, and it will not 
> change.
>
> -- 
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "AMYJO" <AMYJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:3286A93E-EABC-44B7-AA66-4415563BA5DF@microsoft.com...
>> When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to 
>> the
>> current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. I 
>> am
>> using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I 
>> can
>> see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the file, 
>> but
>> I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date 
>> last
>> modified for the file.
>>
> 


0
Graham
3/12/2010 6:44:20 AM
If the original DATE field contains a formatting switch, then changing DATE 
to CREATEDATE will not alter that switch; the format should stay the same.

-- 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message 
news:eZQJg9awKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> You may also need to add a formatting switch to retain the same format - 
> Press ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to { CREATEDATE 
> \@ "d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your 
> letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct 
> dates. The switch  \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.
>
> See http://www.gmayor.com/stop_automatic_date_update.htm
>
> -- 
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message 
> news:eu5qBtTwKHA.5956@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Press Alt+F9 to toggle the field code display and edit the DATE field 
>> code to read CREATEDATE. Then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update. The 
>> date displayed will be the date the document was created, and it will not 
>> change.
>>
>> -- 
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "AMYJO" <AMYJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>> news:3286A93E-EABC-44B7-AA66-4415563BA5DF@microsoft.com...
>>> When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to 
>>> the
>>> current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. I 
>>> am
>>> using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I 
>>> can
>>> see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the file, 
>>> but
>>> I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date 
>>> last
>>> modified for the file.
>>>
>>
>
>
> 

0
Suzanne
3/12/2010 2:02:53 PM
True, but if it doesn't have a switch, changing the field type will affect 
the display. Createdate without a switch will include the time.

-- 
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>


"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message 
news:eM6w%23zewKHA.4636@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> If the original DATE field contains a formatting switch, then changing 
> DATE to CREATEDATE will not alter that switch; the format should stay the 
> same.
>
> -- 
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message 
> news:eZQJg9awKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> You may also need to add a formatting switch to retain the same format - 
>> Press ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to { CREATEDATE 
>> \@ "d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your 
>> letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct 
>> dates. The switch  \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.
>>
>> See http://www.gmayor.com/stop_automatic_date_update.htm
>>
>> -- 
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>
>>
>> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message 
>> news:eu5qBtTwKHA.5956@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Press Alt+F9 to toggle the field code display and edit the DATE field 
>>> code to read CREATEDATE. Then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update. 
>>> The date displayed will be the date the document was created, and it 
>>> will not change.
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>>> Words into Type
>>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>>> http://word.mvps.org
>>>
>>> "AMYJO" <AMYJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:3286A93E-EABC-44B7-AA66-4415563BA5DF@microsoft.com...
>>>> When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to 
>>>> the
>>>> current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. 
>>>> I am
>>>> using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I 
>>>> can
>>>> see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the 
>>>> file, but
>>>> I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date 
>>>> last
>>>> modified for the file.
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
> 


0
Graham
3/12/2010 2:39:01 PM
Interesting. I would have thought that the default format of any kind of 
date field, absent switches, would be whatever format you've selected as the 
default in the Date and Time dialog.

-- 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message 
news:ejRawGfwKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> True, but if it doesn't have a switch, changing the field type will affect 
> the display. Createdate without a switch will include the time.
>
> -- 
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message 
> news:eM6w%23zewKHA.4636@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> If the original DATE field contains a formatting switch, then changing 
>> DATE to CREATEDATE will not alter that switch; the format should stay the 
>> same.
>>
>> -- 
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message 
>> news:eZQJg9awKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> You may also need to add a formatting switch to retain the same format - 
>>> Press ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to { CREATEDATE 
>>> \@ "d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your 
>>> letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct 
>>> dates. The switch  \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.
>>>
>>> See http://www.gmayor.com/stop_automatic_date_update.htm
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>
>>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>>
>>>
>>> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message 
>>> news:eu5qBtTwKHA.5956@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>> Press Alt+F9 to toggle the field code display and edit the DATE field 
>>>> code to read CREATEDATE. Then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update. 
>>>> The date displayed will be the date the document was created, and it 
>>>> will not change.
>>>>
>>>> -- 
>>>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>>>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>>>> Words into Type
>>>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>>>> http://word.mvps.org
>>>>
>>>> "AMYJO" <AMYJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>>>> news:3286A93E-EABC-44B7-AA66-4415563BA5DF@microsoft.com...
>>>>> When I open old Word documents, the date gets automatically changed to 
>>>>> the
>>>>> current date and I can't view the date that the document actually had. 
>>>>> I am
>>>>> using MS Office 2007, but the old document was created in Word 2003. I 
>>>>> can
>>>>> see the date that the file was last modified in the details of the 
>>>>> file, but
>>>>> I cant guarantee that the date of the document is the same as the date 
>>>>> last
>>>>> modified for the file.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
> 

0
Suzanne
3/12/2010 4:23:35 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How do you change the rows to columns and columns to rows.
Ok, I am stumped on how to do this? I have a spreadsheed that has Dates in the A column and Data in the row. I want to make is so, the data is in the A column and Dates ru accross in the 1 column. How can I do this? Sound easy, but I am stumped??? :eek -- cc4digita ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cc4digital's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2656 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39843 Highlight your data and copy it into the clipboard. Move to an open spot in the sprea...

OnChange event
Hi all, I want to let the end users change the color of the top and bottom dark blue (or navy) borders of the Account form using a drop down that lists the colors (red, yellow and blue) .So the OnChange event of the picklist should trigger the change of the top and bottom dark blue colors to which ever color is selected. However I dont know if this can be accomplished. I even dont know if a stylesheet is used for that purpose, which one refers to these areas of the form. Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance! ...

Add SafePay footer record for date and account number
Union Bank of California has a Positive Pay format that requests a footer record for each day and account number. So if you transmit checks issued on two dates for a single account, the SafePay file would have two footer records--one for each date. Currently, I am only able to create a footer by account, totalling all checks issued for that account (regardless of date), and attributing that total to the Issue Date in the footer record. Union Bank reads the issue date on the footer, and sees that the checks issued on that date do not match the footer total, causing them to consider th...

cannot install document image writer on windows 7 64 bit from offi
several times i tried to go through the steps to update my microsoft office suite 2007 to allow me to use document image writer with no success. the process i took was: 1. Close all running applications. If you have any Office application running, the driver will not be installed properly. 2. Go to "Control Panel" and "Add or Remove Programs". 3. Click on "Microsoft Office 2003" and then click on "Change". 4. Check "Add or Remove Features" and click "Next". 5. On the bottom of the page check "C...

Outlook: Can't open JPEG files
I have Outlook 2000 an unable to open JPEG files. What setting has to be changed to open these files? ...

8192 rows limit when opening wk1 files ?
Hello, I am opening a .wk1 file, which contains around 60K rows, but only the first 8192 rows appear in Excel. Is there any way to have all the rows in the Excel file ? Thanks, Paul "paul" wrote... >I am opening a .wk1 file, which contains around 60K rows, >but only the first 8192 rows appear in Excel. > >Is there any way to have all the rows in the Excel file ? WK1 as in Lotus 1-2-3 Release 2.x native file format? Such .WK1 files support a single worksheet of 256 columns and 8,192 rows. PERIOD. Did you generate this '.WK1' file using a program other then...

Unable to change password
Hi, We have some users in domain A, who now have exchange accounts in domain B. They will log on to domain A as usual, then when they open outlook it prompts them for a logon to domain B. Works fine. Problem is that we gave them all a standard PW for domain B so we could check their mail was working. We now want them to change their passwords for domain B, so we selected 'user must change PW at next logon' in the AD. Sure enough they are prompted to change password when they open outlook, but the password change is never accepted. Can anyone help? Andy Cox ...

GUID/Outlook format link giving error "Unable to open the seleted folder or item"
Hi, I have created custom forms in multiple public Outlook folders and when I send the GUID type link to the user, they receive an error: "Unable to open the seleted folder or item". The same happens if I send the Outlook type link. However, if I ask the user to go to the folder and find the appropriate posting, then the form opens and after that the link works, too. Is this due to some Exchange server setting? My clients are not the type that tolerate opening the form the long way, they want a one click solution. Please help, this is driving my team crazy. Any ideas are welcome...

Percent Change
I'm using the formula (A2-A1)/A1 to determine the % change between two cells. I have an instance where I need to subtract the value of two cells from the current cell before determining the % change. I've come up with several different ways to arrive at the actual changed value (e.g. A3-SUM(A1:A2) or SUM(A3-A2-A1) ) which return the correct value but when I try to arrive at the % change from the original amount by adding "/A1" to the formula I get an error. Am I way off? Tom, Could you post the end formula exactly as you typed it? It should work, based on what you'...

sort data without changing pattern
I have a worksheet where every other row has a 'pattern' in it to help make it easier to read across the spreadsheet. The problem I'm running into is as I add new rows at the bottom of the spreadsheet and then resort them into their correct place, the patterns go with the sort and now the patterns have to be redone again the get them back to every other row. Any suggestions? This will happen if your patterns are manually applied. It would be better to remove that manual shading and to apply background colours using conditional formatting, the condition being if th...

how to open port in windows server 2003
hi , i have an exchange server 2003(sp1) with windows server 2003 (sp1) the scenarion is like that my mails are going out side through SMTP filter which is installed on another machine in this software the only port 25 is open, internaly my mails are working fine and i can also receive mails from another domain like hotmail and yahoo , but problem i am facing is that from out side of my network means if i want to check my mails from my home i am facing the problem is that i can send mail but can not receivce mail this happend because i am using smtp protocol for sending mails and pop3 ...

Converting Numerical values to Words
I am fairly new to the ins and outs of Microsoft Access 2003 but have been able to work through all of my problems thus far except one. I started using check boxes for storing user inputed data from a form. When the box is checked I have made it equal a value ranging from 1 to 6 according to the desired group. This stores the number in a table which I then reference many times in queries as well as reports. Here is my question, how do I convert from those stored numbers, taken from the check boxes, to words that can be easily outputted to a report so that anyone can read it without ...

Form opens to blank record
I have a front page (a form) and my main database linked via a command button - it keeps opening on a particular record and I want it to open onto a blank record - how do I go about changing this? Thanks C (P.S. only a shakey understanding of code so if answer includes this - go easy on me and explain! Thanks) When you say: " I have a front page (a form) and my main database linked via a command button..." you are not talking about the use of Microsoft Office FrontPage, are you? http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-FrontPage-2003-OLD-VERSION/dp/B0000AZJV8 I *thi...

Where can I delete an old/incorrect email address?
I'm using Outlook 2003 So I have, say, Sandy in my contacts book. Her email is SW@...... Later her email changes to SAW@...... I make the change in my contacts. But when I'm creating a new email and I start to type "Sandy..." in the TO field, it still finds the old "SW@..." address. Why? How can I delete that old & incorrect address forever? (Without starting from scratch and loosing all my old email?) Thanks Gary use arrow keys to highlight 'bad' address then hit delete btn "jabadoodle" <jabadoodle@yahoo.com> wrote in message n...

Outlook 2003
We're on Exchange 2003 and have started rolling out Outlook 2003 in place of Outlook 2000. In Outlook 2003 by default all folders come up grouped by day and with solid lines between the messages. Everyone hates these "features" and has made a point of telling me so. Yes, each individual folder can be changed back through the user interface but that's a non-solution for 100 users that have an average of 25 folders each plus the 50 or so public folders as well. Is there any way to change this default behavior in Outlook 2003 so that all folders come up without the solid lines...

Word problems 2003 and 2007 version
hey everyone both on my main computer and my brothers laptop word isnt working! its so annoying! on my desktop PC i have windows xp and word 2003. after getting a virus which stopped the internet from working i had to do a system restore - which got rid of the virus. but when i click on word it says that "this shortcut only applies to installed products", and when i go to word through program files it says "this product is not installed on this user" - but there is no setup thing i can press - will i need the disc maybe? on my bro's laptop he got the sa...

Formula for Date
I'm new to formulas and just want to display the current date in my outlook form (e.g., December 18, 2004). What I've done is created a combination text field where I have the following fields: [Email Opening Date] [Full Name] [Job Title] [Company] [Business Address] Dear [Full Name]: When I send a new message, I then copy the values into my email instead of copying the data (name, title, address, salutation) one field at a time. This allows me to personalize the email. The problem is that I do not know what to do to with formulas to show the current date as I note above. Thank...

Damn the accept/change downloaded transactions feature!!!
I recently upgraded from Money 2001 to Money 2004 and I HATE IT! My favorite feature of Money was the ability to download all my transactions electronically from my bank, and then decide how they would be categorized and entered into my account register. Now it's so much more complicated with this "Accept/Change" stuff!!! I realize this has been around since Money 2002, but I'm just experiencing this horror now. I HATE the way it just puts new transactions right into your register! And what the heck does "Accept" or "Change" mean anyway? Do they mean...

Outlook 2003 won't open in ie but outlook express does
I just upgraded my harddrive form 120 gb to 400 gb using segates disk utility and when all was done eveything except system restore and the read email link from ie 7 worked fine. OL express would open and run ok but OL 2003 would not, no error just won't open. Doesnt' work in firefox either. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Office, no luck. Have unistalled ie7, no go either. Got system restore to work again by diabling the service from the managment console then starting it from the system restore tab in my computers/proporties. There seems to be some connection from ie to outlook...

Allow Account Description changes in "Mass Modify" screen
In the "Mass Modify" screen of Account Maintenance "Cards", there should be a selection for Description changes. Some of our Accounts have 45-50 account combinations. If an account needs to be renamed, I have to go into each card to update. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click ...

Changing the Normal Style
How can I chnage the Normal style in Excel 2000 so that new worksheets begin with the cell formatting set to center vertically? Styles are stored with each workbook. So you could create a workbook that has the normal style you want. Then save this workbook as a template for all new workbooks. If that's what you want to do: Start a new workbook. Format|style|Modify (and modify it to your heart's content) Also, modify anything else you want as a standard--header/footers, page orientation, number of worksheets in that workbook??? Now save it as a template in your XLStart folder as ...

new document and framework problem
Hi, I have a dialog I need to display at the start of a new document in my SDI app. My problem is the first time through, it will show before the app is drawn. Where should I put a call to run the dialog if I want to be sure to only do so after the app is initially drawn? I currently use a check in the view's OnDraw, but I'm hoping someone else who knows the framework better has a better idea. Thanks, scott I don't think OnDraw is appropriate at all because that gets called all the time. How about OnInitialUpdate? -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits http://www.softcircuits....

Smartlist MDA lookup is missing the GL Posting Date.
There is two different dates in the MDA tables, one is for Posting Date and the other is the Transaction date. The DTA10100 table has a TRXDATE field, which is actually the GL Posting Date, and the DTA10200 table contains the same field name, TRXDATE, which is the Transaction Date from the sub-module. In Smart List, it only allows us to look at the Transaction Date from the DTA10200 and the customers want to look up the MDA records by the GL Posting Date, which Smart List doesn't allow. We need to add the Date from the DTA10100 table as the GL Posting Date. ---------------- This p...

Format Cells Date (or any change) not working on imported data
Hello, I've just spent ages researching this and not come up with what I need to be able to do. I have a worksheet for some simple data that has been imported, a date, text and number column (as they display graphically to the end user). All are a "general" format when using Format > Cells. The issue I have is that the date information is in an American date format and I would like to change them into a UK date format. Format > Cells and selecting any option (including custom and special) makes no changes to the imported data. I have seen the work arounds whereby you sp...

how do I delete documents from the start list in word and excel?
how do I delete documents from the start list in word and excel? You can not clear it whenever you want. You can however set the no of file names to be displayed to 0 which clears the list... In Excel 2003 Tool->Options->General Enter 0 against 'Recently Used File List' of clear the check box. Click 'OK' Word has a similar option. For 2007 versions or if you want to play with Registry Settings (not advised unless you understand it well) see http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/13/how-to-clear-and-delete-recent-documents-list-in-office-2007-word-excel-p...