Opening a word file opens "New" every time

Every time I open a file from a folder by double-clicking it opens as
"New" and I'm unable to save it over the same file. In order to open it
I have to right-click and click "open". The "New" opention from the drop
down menu is also bolded. How do I change the default to "open" not
"open new" ?

--
Danish.inc
0

First try the simple fix:  Click the Windows Start menu and choose Run, type
in

   winword /r

(note the space before the slash), and click OK. That will rewrite Word's
registry entries and may fix the problem.

If that doesn't help, open Windows Explorer (the file manager). Click Tools
 > Folder Options > File Types. Find and click on the DOC extension. If you
see an Advanced button near the bottom of the dialog, click it. If instead
you see a Restore button, click that and it will change to Advanced, then
click it again. In the next dialog, click on Open in the action list and
click the Set Default button. Click OK in each dialog.

Note that Open should be the default action for documents, but New should be
the default action for templates.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Danish.inc wrote:
> Every time I open a file from a folder by double-clicking it opens as
> "New" and I'm unable to save it over the same file. In order to open
> it I have to right-click and click "open". The "New" opention from
> the drop down menu is also bolded. How do I change the default to
> "open" not "open new" ?

0
Jay

Searching for data and inserting new rows
Hi I have a spreadsheet from one of our clothing suppliers, which I am going to import into our database for ordering. The format is: Part No. / Description / Price / Size The size is given as a range (i.e M-XL) for each item of clothing What I want to do is analyse the size range and extract what sizes are available, then insert new rows for each of these sizes So, M-XL becomes: Part No/ Description / Price / M Part No / Description / Price / L Part No / Description / Price / XL I've got over 800 individual lines to do, so any help on automating this task would be helpful!! Thanks ...

Will unsupported symbols be fixed in new PM?
I'm trying to get used to the new PM, and I think I can almost live with it. The biggest problem for me is that there are two mutual funds MINDX (Matthews India) and LIDIX (Laudus Rosenberg International Discovery) that the new PM says are a "security type not currently supported in the Portfolio Manager". Can anyone tell me why it would just stop supporting these two mutual funds? Other funds from the same family (Matthews Funds) are supported just fine, such as MCHFX and MPACX. I need some idea of a fix coming or a suggested workaround. Does anyone from Microsoft ...

Outlook not switching to new user
Often, when I try to switch users in Oulook 6 (for XP) the program seems to become 'unavailable' and the only way I've found toget it back is to logoff. Does anyone konw why this might be thr case Thanks ...

Outlook 2002 SP2 - New acct
Need input understanding why when I try to configure Outlook with an MSN web account (Microsoft knowledge base article -287604) the HTTP server option is not available. Is there a setting a can change so this option becomes available? Do the other account type settings show? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com ask...

New Message Window Size
Recently, my new message window size has shrunk considerably. Does anyone know of a way to control the window size when creating a new email message using Outlook 2000? Thanks Grab any corner of the Window and drag it open to your desired size. When you open it next time it will be to that size. -- Peter Please reply to Newsgroup "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDFFC868-BC6F-4658-A004-902E3856975E@microsoft.com... > Recently, my new message window size has shrunk considerably. Does anyone > know of a way to control the window size ...

OWA cannot access mailboxes on new BE server
I have an FE Exchange server in a DMZ with FBA enabled. Originally, we had a single BE server. Everything worked as it should. Recently, we introduced a new BE server to the mix. It is on the same address space as the original BE server and is at the same build level (service pack) as the other exchange servers. When I move a mailbox from the original BE server to the new BE server, I cannot access that mailbox through the OWA URL on the FE server. I can however, access the mailbox by using OWA directly on the new BE server (i.e. http://server/exchange). I have searched for an...

OUTLOOK: new messages go to UNREAD instead of INBOX
Outlook 2003 suddenly changes on me: instead of sending all new mail to Inbox - as it was set up, suddenly all new mail is sent to a UNREAD MAIL, a Search Folders under Personal Folders. Very inconvenient. i would like all my mail to go to Inbox! i did not do the change (at least not coherently). Also, there is old unread mail in the Inbox, so I suspect it is some command change I am not aware of. Please help me reverse it ASAP! The Unread folder isn't a 'real' folder. It just shows items that exist in other folders that are in an unread state. The items should probably be...

New tab display does not display "Most Visited sites"
Hi Guys, I have IE8 and Windows 7, I use to have all of the most visited websites displayed as thumbnails when I selected a new tab on IE8, but now I do not have this displayed. Does anyone know what I am to do to have this returned?? Is there a checkbox that needs to be selected and has been unchecked or something?? I do not know as my 6 year old son has been playing with my computer and he doesn't rememeber how to return it to the way that it was!! I am sure that some may have been in this predicament before?? many thanks for your help in advance!! Cheers, H...

Adding "New" and "Open" to Start Menu
I am using Word 2007 with Windows 7. I cannot find a way to add "New Office Document" or "Open Office Document" to the Start Menu. I was able to do this in Vista and XP. Thanks. Not really a Word issue, but if you click on the Windows Start button and then on all programs and locate the New Office Document and Open Office Document items, you can right click on them and select Pin to Start Menu or Pin to Task Bar. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robb...

Help!
I am trying to automatically take the "badge number" fields on one table and automatically have them added to the "badge number" fields on another related table. I only want the new records entered in on the inital form to be added to the secondary table. I already have the old records added. Why? If you already have the values in one table, why are you trying to add them into another table? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "CarrierCunliffe" <CarrierCunliffe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:795DE5D5-AFA6-4DDC-94CA-C6...

how to add new row to table in Excel 2003?
Hi, I am designing a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 but trying to keep it backwards compatible with 2003. I have a table which a user will enter data in which I wanted to link to two buttons which will either add a row to the bottom (labelled insert row) or delete the selected row (labelled delete row). I have only got as far as inserting a row so far. The code: "Range("G35").Select Selection.ListObject.ListRows.Add AlwaysInsert:=False" works in 2007 but not 2003 and I cant seem to work out the equivilent code. When I tried recording the action of tabbin...

Autonew creates a new document from template and a new blank docum
I have a couple of users who are getting a new document based on a template, but it's also creating a new blank document. This is not happening for other users running the same autonew macro. Can anyone tell me if they've seen this happen before and what the solution is? Thank you! Post the autonew macro code. Word version? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< >...

Move Great Plains 6.0 to a new server
I currently have Great Plains 6.0, Great Plains Integration Manager 6.03, Integration Assistant for Excel, and FRx Finacial Reporting 6.0 installed on a Windows NT 4.0 sp6 server with Pervasive SQL 2000i sp4. I want to move this installation to a new Windows 2003 server. I have already installed Pervasive SQL on the new server. What needs to be done to transfer this installation to a new server? What .dat files/directories need to be copied over? I have been told that the dex.ini file on the client needs to modified so the client can locate the new server. Is this correct or is there ...

Edit/Add New Record
I have a form that I want to use as both a data entry and a data update form. I want the form to open up as a new record. When the user enters the Order ID number in the OrderID box and hits enter or exits that box and goes to another box, I want a query to run that goes out to the Orders table and queries whether that Order ID number exists in the table. (OrderID is the primary key). If it does, I want the rest of the forms to populate with the information in the form. If not, I want the user to be able to enter the new data into the new record. Some info that may be of help. Table name = O...

Unable to create new calendar item appointment
This was my question. Google and Google groups did not answer. Here's the solution: Open Task Manager End Outlook.exe process Restart Outlook You should be able to create a new appointment or meeting. 1. Yes I know restarting computer works but some of us work for a living, have many programs open and restarting is a hassle. 2. Something I also tried - might help with other problems. ~ Close Outlook, then Start > Run = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" /cleanserverrules 3. What flagged it for me was I've got my settings so that Outlooks asks ...

Moving email and address book to new drive
I had a 320GB drive failure and installed a new 500 GB and formatted and completely reloaded all my software on the clean disk. I installed the 320GB drive as my 2nd (D:) drive and can access most of my business files but I cannot get my old emails and address book from my old drive. Is there a file I can rename in my new drive (i.e. a made up example of OULTOOKLIB to OUTLOOKLIBNEW or OUTLOOKEMAILS to OUTLOOKEMAILSNEW) and copy and paste the original files from the old drive to the new? I would rename the files on the new drive just in case something went wrong. It would all...

Email
Received an email There is a message bar at the top stating:- OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail; installer93.exe Also had in message body:- Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "December 2009, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an attacker to ru...

New to this forum
How is everyone?, I'm John and wanted to introduce myself to this place. I've been a non-posting lurker but haven't added anything yet and am going to start posting occasionally. By any chance, does anyone here have HID bulbs? Im wanting to buy a kit for my bike and any suggestions would be gladly accepted! -- Itablyblext You might have noticed that this is a Microsoft XP newsgroup.. and the last time I looked MS did not make HID bulbs nor Bikes.. peter -- If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate or disruptive,please ignore it. ...

Outlook New Mail Notification Sound
Outlook 2000 SP3. When a new message arrives that is of High Importance, I hear 3 beeps. I have tried changed all the settings for both Outlook and Sounds on the system and it will not stop the three beeps. Any help would be very much appreciated. thanks -e ...

Opening Excel-file in new window
I would like to be able to open an Excel-file in a new window through shortcut. I know I can do this by putting the path to excel before th path to the file in the target for the shortcut. ex) "C:\Program\Microsoft Office 2000\Office\EXCEL.EXE" C:\MyFile.xls This way I need to know the path to Excel all the time and also kno which version is installed. As long as I have the file on my computer know all these things but since I'm creating this shortcut via a installationprogram I don't know what's installed on the client computer... Have any suggestions -- Message po...

How do I get my new email previewed on my desktop?
I'm assuming you're referring to the desktop alert that displays a preview of new email. These are the steps to turn on an alert from Outlook Help: Turn on alerts On the Tools menu, click Options. On the Preferences tab, click E-mail Options, and then click Advanced E-mail Options. Under When new items arrive in my Inbox, select the Display a New Mail Desktop Alert (default Inbox only) check box. "Conner" <Conner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB242AD7-229E-401C-B31D-9956A19F2B1B@microsoft.com... > ...

Can't create a new contact in Shared Contacts in Outlook 2007
Sorry, but I'm posting this again. Posted originally on 3/25/2010 but no answers received. Is there anyone out there - please! - who might be able to help me?! My colleague has sent me a sharing invitation (via email) for our shared company contacts. I add the shared contacts to my Outlook 2007 by clicking the "Open this Contacts folder" button. When I go to this "Contacts" folder in my Outlook, I can view and edit any of the shared contacts there, HOWEVER, I cannot create a new contact. For example, when I select "Contacts" --> "Peop...

need help with copying rows and making new rows
I have a spreadsheet of about 50 rows. I need a way to copy the text in say row 2 and make two new rows under it with the same text as in row 2 right under it. but i want to do it for all the rows. any ideas? See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm you want to remove the line of code that removes constants retaining only formulas. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "meh" <shawnlavi@gmail.com> wrote in message ne...

Move CRM SBS to a new SBS Server
We have CRM3.0 SBS on a Windows Small Business 2003 Server that is dying a slow and painful death hehe. We have purchased a new Windows Small Business 2003 Server R2 and are going to be implementing it this coming weekend. I saw some messages about the redeployment tool and using it on the new server before installing CRM. I'm assuming it wouldn't be that hard after that. My question is two fold: 1) After I use ADMT to migrate everything, the Redeployment tool will help me associate everything back correctly, yes? 2) Can I use the SQL2005 on SBS2003R2 or will I need to use my old SQL...

New Exchange Server Installation
Hi, I am setting up a new Exchange Server 2003 box with a requiremnet for inbound and outbound Internet email facility. I have the Exchange 2003 standard edition software, domain name is reigistered, and a Public IP address is available. MX record will be created. Please suggest that whether the following are required: 1. Two Network cards are reqd or one is suffcient? 2. Direct Internet Connection on the server? 3. Should the server name be abc.xyz.com, where xyz.com is the registered domain name or it can be anything like abc.def.com (assuming def.com domain is not registered ...