Nested Styles in Word 2003?

Is it possible to create a nested style in Word 2003? An example would be to
make the first sentence of a paragraph Body Text bold but the rest of the
paragraph plain Body Text. I have used this type of style with Adobe InDesign
but haven't found a way to make it work in Word. It's not a big issue for me
as I have used character formatting over the Body Text style where
appropriate but I am curious.

Word can do this, but not with "nested styles" (there is no such
concept in Word). Instead, there is a way to apply a style to only
part of a paragraph. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:41:01 -0700, Joseph Talbott
<JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to create a nested style in Word 2003? An example would be to
>make the first sentence of a paragraph Body Text bold but the rest of the
>paragraph plain Body Text. I have used this type of style with Adobe InDesign
>but haven't found a way to make it work in Word. It's not a big issue for me
>as I have used character formatting over the Body Text style where
>appropriate but I am curious.
0
Jay
4/8/2010 1:02:07 AM
Thanks Jay,

My question isn't really about getting the bold text into the TOC. I
understand how to use TC fields to insert "extra" entries into the TOC. What
I am trying to determine is whether Word has the capability of having a
paragraph style which will allow your to apply the character styls "bold" up
to the first period in the paragraph? I am thinking that it is not an option
but I wanted to throw it out anyway. I am working on very large documents
(2000+ pages) and we use numbered headings for all of our TOC level
organization but also use bold leading sentences to organize some lower level
information.

InDesign allows for the application of character styles (bold, italic, etc.)
from a designated point (e.g. the start of a paragraph) to another designated
point (e.g. the first period or the third space (if you just wanted to bold
the first three words of a paragraph)) while retaining the rest of the
paragraph in the original paragraph style. It is a convenient feature and
allows for the assignment of embedded document navigation features by just
clicking in the paragraph and assigning a paragraph style.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it's not a deal breaker. I use Word for
90% of my word processing and publishing and that's not going to change. I
just wondered if anyone had found an undocumented capability in Word that I
had not yet stumbled upon.

There are just too many instances of setting the first sentence to bold in
the long documents to use the TC feature and I would probably only confuse
others who might view the documents with non-printing characters displayed.

Thanks for responding.

Joe

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> Word can do this, but not with "nested styles" (there is no such
> concept in Word). Instead, there is a way to apply a style to only
> part of a paragraph. See
> http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:41:01 -0700, Joseph Talbott
> <JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to create a nested style in Word 2003? An example would be to
> >make the first sentence of a paragraph Body Text bold but the rest of the
> >paragraph plain Body Text. I have used this type of style with Adobe InDesign
> >but haven't found a way to make it work in Word. It's not a big issue for me
> >as I have used character formatting over the Body Text style where
> >appropriate but I am curious.
> .

As a follow-up. Using the "Lead-in emphasis" method of assigning a heading
style to the first part of a paragraph is quite useful for including
additional content in the TOC. Although it isn't directly related to my
original question, I can see how it can come in handy. Thanks for including
the links Jay.

"Joseph Talbott" wrote:

> Thanks Jay,
>
> My question isn't really about getting the bold text into the TOC. I
> understand how to use TC fields to insert "extra" entries into the TOC. What
> I am trying to determine is whether Word has the capability of having a
> paragraph style which will allow your to apply the character styls "bold" up
> to the first period in the paragraph? I am thinking that it is not an option
> but I wanted to throw it out anyway. I am working on very large documents
> (2000+ pages) and we use numbered headings for all of our TOC level
> organization but also use bold leading sentences to organize some lower level
> information.
>
> InDesign allows for the application of character styles (bold, italic, etc.)
> from a designated point (e.g. the start of a paragraph) to another designated
> point (e.g. the first period or the third space (if you just wanted to bold
> the first three words of a paragraph)) while retaining the rest of the
> paragraph in the original paragraph style. It is a convenient feature and
> allows for the assignment of embedded document navigation features by just
> clicking in the paragraph and assigning a paragraph style.
>
> As I mentioned in my earlier post, it's not a deal breaker. I use Word for
> 90% of my word processing and publishing and that's not going to change. I
> just wondered if anyone had found an undocumented capability in Word that I
> had not yet stumbled upon.
>
> There are just too many instances of setting the first sentence to bold in
> the long documents to use the TC feature and I would probably only confuse
> others who might view the documents with non-printing characters displayed.
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> Joe
>
> "Jay Freedman" wrote:
>
> > Word can do this, but not with "nested styles" (there is no such
> > concept in Word). Instead, there is a way to apply a style to only
> > part of a paragraph. See
> > http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Jay Freedman
> > Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> > Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> > newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >
> > On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:41:01 -0700, Joseph Talbott
> > <JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Is it possible to create a nested style in Word 2003? An example would be to
> > >make the first sentence of a paragraph Body Text bold but the rest of the
> > >paragraph plain Body Text. I have used this type of style with Adobe InDesign
> > >but haven't found a way to make it work in Word. It's not a big issue for me
> > >as I have used character formatting over the Body Text style where
> > >appropriate but I am curious.
> > .

Word can't do this as you type. It *might* be possible to accomplish (after
you've typed the text) with a macro or a wildcard search. If no one here
knows a way, it would be worth asking in a programming newsgroup such as
microsoft.public.word.vba.general.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joseph Talbott" <JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>
>> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:41:01 -0700, Joseph Talbott
>> <JosephTalbott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Is it possible to create a nested style in Word 2003? An example would
>> >be to
>> >make the first sentence of a paragraph Body Text bold but the rest of
>> >the
>> >paragraph plain Body Text. I have used this type of style with Adobe
>> >InDesign
>> >but haven't found a way to make it work in Word. It's not a big issue
>> >for me
>> >as I have used character formatting over the Body Text style where

0
Stefan

FAiled instalation of Exchange 2003
I have just arrived on site and found some one has tried to install exchange 2003 in the domain and then just deleted all the objects before they left. This is now causing great problems, as I have reinstalled exchange 2003 but it, believes that there is a virtual site "old server name” and I can not get rid of it. Every time I create a mail box it does not appear anywhere. Could anyone point me at an article that shows you how to undo all forest and domain preps from your AD so that I may redeploy this server in a working state? I have removed my new server by running the remoevor...

OWA 2003
I am having problem accessing mailboxes via OWA that I'm not primary user of. (Althought I have full permissions on the mailboxes). It works if I type https:/myserver.com/exchange/Username@domain.com. I get a HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found if I type : https:/myserver.com/exchange/ -OR- https:/myserver.com/exchange/firstPartOfEmailAddress I've called a few fellow Exchange Admins and they all tell me that https:/myserver.com/exchange/firstPartOfEmailAddress works fine on their box. Why would a server use the whole address instead of the first part only? about Http...

Outlook 2003 can't select delivery location Exchange Mailbox
Hi there I set up an Outlook 2003, added an Exchange Mailbox in the accounts. Now I got the warning that the default delivery location will be the Personal Folder. I don't want that and wanted to change the default delivery location to Mailbox. However the only option it shows me in this dialog is the PST. :( The Mailserver is an old Exchange, likely 5.5. I do have another machine that goes on a Exchange 2003 and there it works perfekt. So I wonder why the other machine doesn't allow me to set the mailbox as the default delivery. What happens if the delivery is set to PST and I go...

Outlook 2003 Problems #7
After installing Windows xp pro and Office 2003 when sending/receiving email under outlook i recieve errors with connecting to server. After installing Incredi mail there are no more problems. Can any one help me with wich settings to use under outlook 2003. I thingt the problem is there. ...

Outlook 2003 #233
I can't find a fix for a problem with outlook 2003. It won't shut down if I close it,itis still running in task manager. mbass <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I can't find a fix for a problem with outlook 2003. It > won't shut down if I close it,itis still running in task > manager. http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

how to block exe from exchange 2003
Hi i would like to know can we block exe as attachment from exchange 2003. awaiting for someone's reply regards Abhishek Dahibhate Without writing some custom code for Exchange, you will have to use a 3rd party application. Most antivirus software packages will do this. -- Jim McBee Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Web: http://www.somorita.com <abhishek.dahibhate@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1136856536.492574.320500@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > i would like to know can we block exe as attachment from exchange > 2003. > > awaitin...

Create a folder in Word on export
I am in the process of created several forms that will merge data to Word Templates that are legal documents. What I need to do is; 1) look in a defined folder in Word and determine if another folder exist if not create the folder and name it based on a field on the Access Form. 2) Once the folder is created save the merged.doc as a saveas naming it the same name as the template or a name from a field on the form, or if the folder in Word already exist, do a saveas to the that folder, then display the .doc for possible changes. Also if it is not obvious I’m a newbe. I know from wha...

Linking an Word Object in Publisher
Hello, I have created several links between Publisher (2002) and Word (2000) without any trouble. However, today I can't figure out how to get around a problem. My Word document is only one page with a 2 column table. Page size is 8.5 x 11. Margins are set at T=.17, B=.17, L=.25, R=.25. The table doesn't even take but half the page. I go to Publisher, click Insert and select Object. Select From File, Locate my document and select the 'Link' checkbox. The object inserted in Publisher is my document. However, the object size is 12.9 x 12.9. I am having to use th...

Amount or Numbers in Words
I would like to know if there is any way that I can change numbers/amounts in words form using EXCEL. Eg: $1,498(sum of a few figures) automatically spelled One thousand four hundred and ninety-eight only in another cell. Thanks in adv. Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ron wrote: > I would like to know if there is any way that I can change > numbers/amounts in words form using EXCEL. Eg: $1,498(sum of a few > figures) automatically spelled One thousand four hundred and > ninety-eight only in another cell. T...

2003 Deluxe or 2004 Standard
Last year I bought Money 2003 Deluxe anticipating that I would use it when I got a new computer. Well, my new PC comes with Money 2004 Standard. Now I'm trying to decide which version is "better." If you were going to start using Money right now, which would you use? Why? Is it good to go "backward" with software (i.e. previous versions)? I never used Money before. Please help me decide! Thanks. http://www.microsoft.com/money/info/comparison.asp I'm very satisfied with my M2003 Deluxe which I need for my investments including options. It is not rea...

Outlook 2000 v 2003
Since outlook 2000 came with xp, is the 2003 version worth the price? And, is there an upgrade? I can't seem to find one. Thanks Lloyd I moved from Office/Outlook 2000 to Office/Outlook 2003 (didn't go with Office XP/Outlook 2002) and I can't be happier. You might want to take a look at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2003/newfeatures.htm to see what wets your appetite. "Lloyd Hanning" <lloydhanning@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:10ggkaul6t5u935@corp.supernews.com... > Since outlook 2000 came with xp, is the 2003 version worth the price? And, > is ...

After upgrade to Exchange 2003, no more M: drive?
I just want to make sure. After I upgraded to Exchange 2003, I see there is no longer a M:\. Is that normal? Yes, that's normal. Should you want to re-enable it: http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/09/no_m_drive_in_e.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchange.co.uk "amyb" <amy@npsg.ncifcrf.gov> wrote in message news:#wz#bKlxDHA.1576@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I just want to make sure. After I upgraded to Exchange 2003, I see there is > no longer a M:\. Is that normal? > > Oh, ok. Thanks....

inserting a word document
Hi, I have created a excel workbook with about 6 pages, I need to include a letter I created in Word as one of the worksheets in the project. I tried to take the word letter and insert it as an object into my excel worksheet...this did not totaly work as I now have a line like a border around this letter. If any one can please help me, just email me at annmarie1121@aol.com and put excel in the subject line. I would so appreciate any help I can get on this matter. Thanks much Annmarie Have you tried creating a text box that covers the whole sheet, then inserting the Word document int...

2003 IMF got installed on Exchange 2000?
I'm looking at some memory dumps and it appears that SMTP is loading the msgfilter.dll from Exchange 2003 and causing the process to crash. The msgfilter.dll is part of the IMF so I am trying to understand how it got installed on this Exchange 2000 server. The dll is currently being loaded as an event sink so it was somehow registered into the metabase. Is it possible that Windows Update or something else installed the 2003 IMF on my Exchange 2000SP3 server? ...

Journaling Exchange 2003
Hello I used to make journaling with Exchange 5.5 with IMSEXT extension . I was able to copy incoming and outgoing emails exchanged with internet in public folders How to make the same thing with Exchange 2003? I saw journaling is possible, but that includes as well the interns mesages as the external messages. Thank you Pierre <Pierre Delmas> wrote: >Hello >I used to make journaling with Exchange 5.5 with IMSEXT extension . >I was able to copy incoming and outgoing emails exchanged with internet in >public folders >How to make the same thing with Exchange 2003? >I...

Exchange 2003 Message Tracking #2
When I go into the message tracking center and select the exchange server name of the server that has the mailbox that i'm trying to track message for, it renames itself to another exchange server name. Message tracking is enabled on the Exchange server that I want to search. The logs are in place. The servername.log share is in place and the permissions are correct. The server that I am trying to track is a cluster, that is the only thing that I can think of. I seem to recall having tracked messages in the past and can't think of anything that has changed. I've tried ...

Querys not updated
Recently we updated the databases from Access 97 to 2003. The querys were not updated and the ones that are needed to perform mail merge are not retreiving the data. The tables and the data is there, but is not being read. Is there a methos to update the querys ? The OS is XP for the clients and W 2000 for the server. Thanks in advance Alfredo -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200803/1 On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 04:27:13 GMT, "alfredoag via AccessMonster.com" <u11123@uwe> wrote: >Recently we updated the dat...

How do I stop word break-ing in publisher
Does anyone know how to stop the annoying word breaking in Publisher for instance " If this was a sentence part of a word may be split a the end of the line like th-is showing "th-" on the upper line and "is" on the next line. Please help I find this very annoy- ing! If you know what I mean. It's called hyphenating and in Publisher 2000 you would select Tools, Options, Edit and uncheck the "Automatically hyphenate new text frames". -- Don Vancouver, USA "Nigel" <Nigel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EC05219-3...

Hyperlink to bookmark in Word 2007
I can hyperlink to a bookmark in a Word document if the document is opened in Word 2003, where the link is of the form: http://server/mysite/docs/mydoc.doc#mybookmark However, in Word 2007, the document is opened at its top; the bookmark is ignored. Could anyone confirm whether this is a known problem with Word 2007? I have seen another instance reported: http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Word/microsoft.public.word.docmanagement/2008-10/msg00410.html but supporting evidence would be helpful. Thanks. In a quick test, hyperlinking to a particular bookmark seems to work f...

Opening a Word Template from within Excel
I have the following VBA code with opens a Word Template (.dot extension) from Excel: 1. CommandButton1 code on worksheet -- Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() SQLRollup DeleteBlankRows RollupToSQLServer1 InsertTrackingSpecificData frmClients.Show End Sub 2. Code on frmClients Private Sub cmdProposal_Click() frmOrders.Show frmClients.Hide End Sub 3. Code on frmOrders Private Sub cmdManaged_Click() 'opens a new Word Template Dim wordApp As Word.Application Dim wordDot As Word.Template Set wordApp = New Word.Application On Error ...

Microsoft Picture Manager 2003
When on final page selection before printing Photos, Is there any way to prevent the " Crop and rotate to fit " which is happening unnecessary, especially in 4 X 6'' album prints. Once you get the picture cropped and adjusted, It still crops the photo, no matter which way you rotate it. 27 - 4 - 10 -- Srus Picture Manager has nothing to do with printing Photos, that's handled by Windows Photo Printing Wizard. You can either configure and save the picture as a temporary picture before (ensuring you make it exactly the right size) or use a 3rd party pro...

Removing second (test) exchange 2003 server
I have two exchange 2003 servers. One officially for production (1st server) and another which I recently added for testing purposes only. Both Exchange servers are in the same administrative group. The only thing I did with the test server was moving mailboxes back and forth from the production server to resolve a performance issue. Now that I've finished testing, I want to remove the test server from my exchange environment. I've read kbs 822931, 833396, 320202. As far as I know I didn't change any roles, so is it safe to say that I can remove my test exchange server? If...

Outlook 2003 signature problem #2
I have a customer who is using Outlook 2003. The customer has created a custom signature and saved it in their settings in Outlook 2003. After a few hours, Outlook 2003 will not remember the signature file or auto-populate the signature in new emails. Has anyone seen this problem? Is there a fix for this problem? ...

Print preview in Publisher 2003 changes doc from landscape to portrait
A friend of mine is attempting to print out an 11x17 double-sided flyer in landscape mode on her XP Pro system. The 2-year-old template she uses prints correctly in landscape form, but if she changes the text and attempts to print or do a print preview, the orientation of the page immediately changes to portrait and will print out in that form. The fact that the original Publisher 2003 versions printed correctly but the newly edit version does not sounds like there is a page formatting problem occurring, but regrettably I'm not a publisher expert. Anyone have any insights what mi...

Exporting chart from Excel to Word
Hi, I want to copy/paste a graph from Excel to Word. The only problem is that the file is too big, because each graph has 775 kb. How can I export just the graph, without the link to the document and all the information of the graph. I just want to have the "picture" not all the other stuff. Thank you for your help! Mike Middleton wrote: > Heidi - > >> I want to copy/paste a graph from Excel to Word. The only problem is >> that > the file is too big, because each graph has 775 kb. How can I export > just the graph, without the link to the document and all ...