move table of contents page numbers

Hi. I am using Word 2007 and I am trying to create a table of contents with
the page numbers in front of the heading title with a bar between.

I see the modify tab with bar, but I can't move the numbers in front of the
bar and keep them there when I update the table.

An example of what I am looking for is::

3  |  Introduction
4  |  Heading 1

Is this even possible?

I've been struggling with this for a while. Thanks for your help!!!!

It is not possible to do anything of this sort and still have an updatable
table of contents.

If you're really determined to have this unusual layout, wait until the
document is completely edited and won't change any more. Then put the cursor
in the TOC and press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to turn the TOC field into plain
(non-updating) text. You can then move page numbers, add symbols, and play
whatever other games you like. But if anything changes the pagination or
adds/deletes headings, you get to start all over.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

duckle wrote:
> Hi. I am using Word 2007 and I am trying to create a table of
> contents with the page numbers in front of the heading title with a
> bar between.
>
> I see the modify tab with bar, but I can't move the numbers in front
> of the bar and keep them there when I update the table.
>
> An example of what I am looking for is::
>
> 3  |  Introduction
> 4  |  Heading 1
>

> Is this even possible?
>
> I've been struggling with this for a while. Thanks for your help!!!!

0
Jay
2/12/2010 9:59:36 PM
Thanks. I've seen this layout in many different places and many different
documents. It would be nice if microsoft would allow customization of their
table of contents.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> It is not possible to do anything of this sort and still have an updatable
> table of contents.
>
> If you're really determined to have this unusual layout, wait until the
> document is completely edited and won't change any more. Then put the cursor
> in the TOC and press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to turn the TOC field into plain
> (non-updating) text. You can then move page numbers, add symbols, and play
> whatever other games you like. But if anything changes the pagination or
> adds/deletes headings, you get to start all over.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
> all may benefit.
>
> duckle wrote:
> > Hi. I am using Word 2007 and I am trying to create a table of
> > contents with the page numbers in front of the heading title with a
> > bar between.
> >
> > I see the modify tab with bar, but I can't move the numbers in front
> > of the bar and keep them there when I update the table.
> >
> > An example of what I am looking for is::
> >
> > 3  |  Introduction
> > 4  |  Heading 1
> >

> > Is this even possible?
> >
> > I've been struggling with this for a while. Thanks for your help!!!!
>

> .

How move contacts from ACT2000-to-Outlook2003BCM?
Am using ACT2000 (ACT Ver 5.0.4.495) on WinXP PC with soon-to-be installed Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager (PC currently only has Outlook 2002). I wondered what the BEST way is to move my ACT contacts, along with ALL notes, emails, and anything else to Outlook 2003. (The last part is key... *WITH* all notes, emails, etc.) I went through contacts in ACT and thinned back to a database of only about 100 that I'd like to keep and therefore need to transfer to Outlook 2003. If necessary, I cut copy/paste the text of the notes and emails, once the contacts are in Outlook, but of cou...

How do I put information into a NEW journal table?
Having created a New table in Outlook 2003 Journal with different column headings (to record family tree history), how can I put information into each of the new headings, which do not appear on the Journal Entry form? You'll need to create a custom fields for the new information. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWS...

unhide data in pivot table
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I saw that this has been raised before but did not see a solution posted. Has anyone found a workaround? The issue again, I have created a pivot table and in it I ahve e.g columns with data for different years. I want to hide the data on one year and select thehide functionin the fieldsettings and it does disappear neatly, however, when I want to turn this back on it is not possible. It does seem like the cmd button should do the trick when i click it witht he year marked in the fieldsettings, however, it has...

Number of Items in an Array.
Hi, How do I find out the number of items in an array, so that I can loop check the values in the array with the incoming data. Dim Users as Variant Dim NumValues, Counter as Integer Users = Array("Bob","Fred") NumValues = Users For Counter = 0 to NumValues CheckUser = Users(Counter) If CheckUser = IncomingUser then Print "Cool" - okay this is just pseudo code. Else Print "Not Cool" End If next Cheers Craig. Hi NumValues = ubound(Users) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Craig & Co. wrote: > Hi, ...

Paste Linked Table
Hi Is there any way to paste an already linked table as another linked table as you can do manuualy but programatically? Thanks Martin wrote: >Is there any way to paste an already linked table as another linked table as >you can do manuualy but programatically? A linked table is just another TableDef object with something in its Connect property. That means you can use the DAO CreateTableDef method (see VBA Help) and copy the properties of the existing linked TableDef. That's essentially what Access does when you use Copy/Paste in the Database window. OTOH...

Printing Pivot Table Pie Charts
I have 1400 names in a list each, person has their own data. I created a pivot pie chart to display that data. Can anyone tell me how to print the pivot table so I get a separate sheet for each name selected...without me having to click on the dropdown list each time? Also does anyone know how to hide a field, but have the data still be displayed in the pie chart? thanks ...

navigate from HTML page in resource
Hello, I use WebBrowser Control to navigate in Web page. But I have a problem with HTML page in resource. I can load these pages with : TCHAR tszPath[MAX_PATH]; CString strURL; GetModuleFileName(AfxGetInstanceHandle(), tszPath, sizeof(tszPath)); strURL.Format(_T("res://%s/%d"), tszPath, IDR_TUTO_10); m_wndWebbrowser.Navigate(strURL,0,0,0,0); But if the page contain a Picture (.jpg) , instead of having the picture I have nothing, only a red cross. How can I include the JPG to my resource and to show it when the HTML page is loade ?? Thx in advance, and excuse me for my very ba...

Pivot Table
I have 2 lists with approximately 100 items/rows, with 5 pieces of data in each row. Each list has a common element (account number). Many times the account number shows on both lists, and I want to combine How do I combine both lists to use as source data in a pivot table? ...

userform number formatting
Hi, having entered a number into a textbox in a userform how does one then format it to have 2 decimal places? its not too important as they are formatted in the cells they end up entered into, it would just make it easier on the eye. Rick Tom Ogilvy just posted this for someone else. It does a little more than you ask, but may be what you want <bg>. Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) If IsNumeric(TextBox1.Value) Then If Len(Trim(TextBox1.Value)) = 1 Then TextBox1.Value = Format(CLng(TextBox1.Value), "0000") Else M...

D-Concentrate numbers
I am trying to delete some numbers from a column for example: column A has total duration of a task times 0587-1856 and I would like to have column B with only first four numbers 05:87 (start time for the task). Please help on this formula. Thanks in advance for your help. Kimti You might need to explain what sort of time 05:87 is. For most of us, there are only 60 minutes in an hour, and only 60 seconds in a minute. If you have text such as 0527-1856 in column A, and you want to get a time of 05:27, try =--TEXT(LEFT(A1,4),"00\:00") and format as time to su...

How to copy (or move) Journals from one folder to another
Yesterday I had to rebuild my Outlook file, and I have a working version now but all my journals are in a 2nd folder rather than in the main Journal one. As I can't delete the empty main one, ideally I'd like to move the entrieds from the second one to the main folder. Is this possible? I tried exporting them to a pst file and importing them but either it didn't work or I did it wrong. Any help gratefully recieved rdc You did it wrong - NEVER use the import/export option to move native = Outlook data. Having already done so, you now have a corrupt profile. Create a ne...

Excel Chart How do I create Y axis to represent numbers I am using
I am attempting to create a chart that is populating its data from another worksheet in the same book. I am pulling in numbers that range from 75000 to 3000000 and I would like my y axis to be 50K to 350K in multiples of 25K but I can not figure out how to adjust the axis key. Thanks for your help in advance. Krefty Select the axis and press Ctrl+1 (numeral one). Excel 2003 and earlier: In the dialog that appears, click on the Scale tab, and enter the values you want for min, max, and major unit, and don't check the corresponding Auto boxes. Excel 2007: Check Fixed for each of mi...

How to detect page refresh in vc++
Hi I have created a toolbar for IE in ATL,COM and WTL without using MFC.Now I want to get notification whenever the user changes the URL in the address bar or does a page refresh.I am using BeforeNavigate2 function which is working properly for any URL change,but not working for page reload or refresh.I need to get notified whenever there is a page refresh and whenever there is a navigation to different page.How to get it? <bhattacharjeesoft@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1191417666.466439.274960@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I have created a toolbar for IE in ATL,...

HTTP 500 internal error on OWA PAGE
When i try to log onto outlook web access i get a http 500 internal error that the page cannot be displayed all related services have been restarted but still no progress help please ihuoma To configure process level value with LOW. "teamann" wrote: > To configure process level value with LOW. Btw where can i change this option also does this solution work if this issue only surface after i've upgraded to exchange SP2? ...

Totals in pivot table
Hi all, I have a sheet where I store some records in this - simplified - format: Article | quantity XYZ | 4 KLM | -2 XTR | 3 XYZ | -1 There is a minus sign when it's a shipping, otherwise it's a receiving. The pivot table adds/subtracts quantities depending on the sign, and shows for each Article, the quantity available in stock. Once an article quantity become 0, I would like that row to disappear from the pivot table, I dont need a stock list with quantities: 0. Is there a way to do this (not copying the pivot table and removing manually the 0 rows...) thanks ...

Customize the home page forms
Hello All, thanks in advance for help How can I disable specific navigation controls and action buttons on the home page using javascript.. i.e. the views for activities / leads/ contact that is 1st shown when the CRM application loads, such as file, new, create new campaign response. I am able to accomplish this on individual entities using javascript in the onload event, and performing the following form customization to the crmForm.. // disable menu nav if(document.getElementById('_MIonActionMenuClickapplyrule4210')!=null) {document.getElementById('_MIonActionMenuCl...

Moving from 3.0 to 4.0
Hi based on Rob Mottrams and Patrick Verbeeten earlier answers to my postings - I now have the following plan; 1) From the production enviroment copy the databases (MSCRM and METABASE) to the test enviroment and restore them there on that 32 bit SQL server. 2) Run the CRM 4.0 installation on top of the CRM 3.0 installation in the test enviroment - (that way database, workflows etc. gets upgraded) the 4.0 install process also creates the MSCRM_config database. 3) Then move the upgraded databases (MSCRM, METABASE and MSCRM_config) back in production and restore them there. 4) Install CRM 4.0 o...

Parameter query criteria input in Access Page
I am using a parameter query for an Access Page. When the prompt comes up to enter the required data, the dialog box will not show all of the text that I used as the criteria prompt. It works OK when you just run the query, but when using the page, the text is clipped off. Here is what I have as criteria: [Enter Description- options are Round, Square, Rectangular, Oblong] When the box pops up to prompt the user for the input, it comes up: Enter Description- options ar The rest of the text is clipped. Any help is appreciated. ...

page number
When working on a sheet, a big gray page number shows in the middle of the sheet. It makes it hard to read some of my numbers. I don't know how to get rid of this. Can someone please help? Eileen Hi you have enabled the 'Pagebreak view'. Goto the menu 'View - Normal' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Eileen wrote: > When working on a sheet, a big gray page number shows in the middle > of the sheet. It makes it hard to read some of my numbers. I don't > know how to get rid of this. Can someone please help? > Eileen Frank, Thank you so mu...

Email Subject Auto Number ?
Hi I need Your Help 1. When i send an email through the activities it sent with an automatic number in the subject. what this number means ? How can I take it off ? after I'll take it off what does it means ? the return email would not be related to the entity ??? 2. I have an attachment in the note in the opportunity entity How can I send an email with this note as the attachment of the mail ??? -- Thx very much , Omry Hi Omry, The number you see in the subject line of the email is the tracking token. This will be used to identify the email as a CRM activity and relate it to an ac...

URGENT
Hi All, I have a table created in excel 2000. Even though it fits in the page (indicated by segmented lines below and to the right of the table) it is printed out truncated. Several rows in the bottom are not printed. It contains the footer. Why? Thank you, Rola One of the possibilities is that your printer is set to print foolscap paper but you have a4 paper in the tray. regards Bill K "Rola" <rlabanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u4HkRJqSDHA.1588@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > I have a table created in excel 2000. Even though it fits in the page &g...

Page numbers #10
In a booklet, I want a blank, unnumbered first page for the back (inside) of the front cover. The numbering of pages is to begin at #1 for the next page. I know that page numbering can be turned off for the first page (cover). How is the page number turned off or not on for the inside front cover? PatJennings <pfjennings@charter.net> was very recently heard to utter: > In a booklet, I want a blank, unnumbered first page for the back > (inside) of the front cover. The numbering of pages is to begin at #1 > for the next page. I know that page numbering can be turned off for...

how do I change the starting page number in a Publisher newslette.
I changed the starting page number in a newsletter from 1 to 2. It was a mistake (I had my reasons at the time). Anyway, now, I cannot switch it back to 1. All the headers start on page 2. Help! How do I change it back to 1? Thanks, Ann The page numbers are usually on the Master Page, view, Master Page. In Publisher 2000 and below it will be called "Background." -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7F2A954-271C-406D-9C20-80D0943F2A7...

converting numbers to text and prefill text field with 0's
I have a column of dollars and cents (445.92) that I need to convert to text and prefill with 0's to a width of 9 characters and no decimal (000044592). I wrote a formula (see below) that works except with figures like 0.08 where there are no dollars, or 4.70 where the 2nd character to the right of the decimal is a zero. Using the formula below, these figures come out like this: 0.08 converts to 00.0808 and 4.70 converts to 0000047.0. Can you help? =IF(LEN(A1*100)=2,CONCATENATE("0000000",RIGHT(A1,2)),IF(LEN(A1*100)=3,CONCATENATE("000000",LEFT(A1,1),RIGHT(A1,2)),IF(...

Page Orientation
I am unable to change my spreadsheet page orientation from portrait to landscape in Print Preview or Page Setup even though landscape is selected. Any ideas would be appreciated! Ben ...