Macros disabled warning in MS Word doc with no macros

Running MS Office Pro 2007 on XP Pro notebook.  MS Word document saved as MS
Word 2003 for the benefit of associates.

When I open a particular document, I get "Security Warning: Macros have been
disabled."  This particular document used to have macros, which I wrote to
facilitate some actions, but I deleted them so that associates didn't need to
deal with the warnings.  The macros were deleted using the VBA editor window.

Although the macros have been deleted, I still get the warning.  Is there
still some remnant of the macros?  Where would the remnant be?  Is there a
way to clear this up?

Thanks...

Some macro storage components may have been left over.

Try this:
Select Save As and select “Rich Text Forrmat (*.rtf)” from the Save as type
list.
Now your active document is the RTF-file.
Select Save As again. This time, select “Word Document (*.doc)” from the
Save as type list (accept to replace existing file).

You may need to close and reopen the file in between the Save As operations
– however, in my test, it works without doing so.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Earthman" wrote:

> Running MS Office Pro 2007 on XP Pro notebook.  MS Word document saved as MS
> Word 2003 for the benefit of associates.
>
> When I open a particular document, I get "Security Warning: Macros have been
> disabled."  This particular document used to have macros, which I wrote to
> facilitate some actions, but I deleted them so that associates didn't need to
> deal with the warnings.  The macros were deleted using the VBA editor window.
>
> Although the macros have been deleted, I still get the warning.  Is there
> still some remnant of the macros?  Where would the remnant be?  Is there a
> way to clear this up?
>
> Thanks...
For future reference, when working in Word 2007 you can save the
original document as a *.docx file instead of a *.rtf file, then open
that .docx and save as *.doc. That will also clear out any remaining
macro components.

I don't think there's any practical difference between *.rtf and
*.docx for this purpose. It's just another path to the same result.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 07:49:02 -0800, Lene Fredborg
<lf@REMOVETHISthedoctools.com> wrote:

>Some macro storage components may have been left over.
>
>Try this:
>Select Save As and select �Rich Text Forrmat (*.rtf)� from the Save as type
>list.
>Now your active document is the RTF-file.
>Select Save As again. This time, select �Word Document (*.doc)� from the
>Save as type list (accept to replace existing file).
>
>You may need to close and reopen the file in between the Save As operations
>� however, in my test, it works without doing so.
>
>--
>Regards
>Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)
>DocTools - Denmark
>www.thedoctools.com
>Document automation - add-ins, macros and templates for Microsoft Word
>

>"Earthman" wrote:
>
>> Running MS Office Pro 2007 on XP Pro notebook.  MS Word document saved as MS
>> Word 2003 for the benefit of associates.
>>
>> When I open a particular document, I get "Security Warning: Macros have been
>> disabled."  This particular document used to have macros, which I wrote to
>> facilitate some actions, but I deleted them so that associates didn't need to
>> deal with the warnings.  The macros were deleted using the VBA editor window.
>>
>> Although the macros have been deleted, I still get the warning.  Is there
>> still some remnant of the macros?  Where would the remnant be?  Is there a
>> way to clear this up?
>>
>> Thanks...
0
Jay

Trial versions of MS software require to buy programs just to extract??
I downloaded 90-day trial version of Visual Studio 2005 but this thing is only in .img file format and Microsoft does not provide any extraction utility for .img files. According to this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/ you have to use 3rd party programs, and the ones listed are not free and charge min $30. Is it some kind of scam?! Doesn't Nero's trial addition let you burn ISO files? AliR. <maruk2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1171640807.009916.47570@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... >I downloaded 90-day trial version of Visual Stud...

Hide screen movements when a macro is running
I generally create Macros by recording keystrokes. One macro I have moves around the spreadsheet for about 5 minutes, copying, pasting etc etc But I do not want the user of the spreadsheet to see all the movements...even though they are so quick...effectively is there a way to 'freeze the screen' at the start of the macro...so all the movement is hidden. It may be something I have to turn back on again at the end of the macro? Thanks for any help available At the beginning Application.ScreenUpdating = False and at the end Application.ScreenUpdating = True ...

Word error messages
List members: I work on an Intel Mac running OS 10.3.6 Regrettably I recently let a third-party software tech support person talk me into removing and then reinstalling MS Office 2008. I now regularly get two error messages with manual document saves and with Autorecover saves: 1) "Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected. Try one of the following: Free more memory. Make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write- protected, or damaged." 2) "Word is unable to save the Autorecover file in th...

Random Macros.
Hi, Does anybody have, or are smart enough to write, an excel macro that will produce random numbers WITHOUT duplicates. I can't see to get my head around this problem Also asked in .newusers. Please don't multipost. You may provide more details on what you wish the macro to produce and where. Regards, Anders Silven "ken ogden" <netadd@tpg.com.au> skrev i meddelandet news:40e1edc2@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi, > > Does anybody have, or are smart enough to write, an excel macro that will > produce random numbers WITHOUT duplicates. I can't see to get ...

Macro to Shade Cells with the color specified by 3 other cells?
I have cells in a row with RGB values between 0 and 255. I'd like another cell to be shaded in the color specified by those three values. Can this be done with a macro? If so, what is the macro? Thanks. -Rob Rob, You can use something like Range("A1").Interior.Color = RGB( _ Range("B1").Value, Range("C1").Value, Range("D1").Value) where B, C, and D have the Red, Green, and Blue values. However, there's a problem here. Excel supports only 56 colors, although those 56 colors can be any RGB color you want. These colors are stored in...

how to apply Warning massage
how to apply Warning massage so that a wrning massage should pop-up while comparing two mismatched values Can you elaborate; preferably with an example? How would you like to compare the values? 'This is not a popup... =IF(A1<>B1,"Mismatch","") -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "deepak" wrote: > how to apply Warning massage so that a wrning massage should pop-up while > comparing two mismatched values use Data \ Validation on one of the cells to make sure it matches the other cell "deepak" wrote: > how to apply ...

Word on my iMac balks at saving files

Trying to change the background of a cell if I type a certain word
I am creating an Equipment Status worksheet for my job. Is there a formula that I can use to change the background color of a paticular cell if I type the word of that paticular color in it? I.E. in the status column I type the word "red" how can I make that cell's background that color? Or that row? -- T-DOGG01 See replies at your other posts -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "T-DOGG01" <TDOGG01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51A3E333-CBC3-4391-B74A-5E6E049939BD@microsoft.com... >I am creating an Equipment Status worksheet for my job. Is...

Format only cells containing certain word
Today I was trying to do something - I had a range which contained some cells containing the text string 'Manufacturer:' (my inverted commas) and wanted to format only those cells. Now, I couldn't autofilter, advanced filter or sort because of the sheet structure, and amending it would have taken as long as manually formatting the relevant cells. So I was thinking of how to do it. I was thinking of a conditional format of any cells containing the string. But non-numerical (or non-formula) conditions don't appear to be possible. Could anyone tell me if and how it is po...

spell check on Word X for macs
In the preferences for Word, the spelling and grammar feature is=20 unavailable--I can see it on the list of preferences but can't click on = it (it's=20 backgrounded, sort of). Therefore, my spelling and grammar check isn't=20 working. Do I need to load it separately or something? help! I think deleting the prefs file fixes this. (Common description of that state is "greyed out", by the way). Run through the troubleshooting techniques here--try http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/TroubleshootingIndex.htm (hit refresh a few times in Safari, or use a different browser) You...

script to give a warning if customer is set as NO
hi there, Can anyone help me, very new to CRM. I want to have a yes/no field in the company form and then under "service" form when the company is selected from the list, if no is in the field it prompts to say "This users is not allow...etc" -- Mike ...

Macro to update Chart #2
I'm trying to create a macro that will update a dashboard of charts by pushing a button. The data resides in the same excel file but different page and the dashboard contains approx 7 charts. The charts are updated quarterly and rather than having to go into each one and shift the source data I would like to automate it....any ideas? I'm a novice to macros! -- lajohn63 Why use a macro? Make dynamic charts: Dynamic Charts - http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/dynamic-charts/ Dynamic and Interactive Charts (overview) - http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ...

Word 2007 crashes when closing
Word 2007 crashes when I close it and then reopens, it refuses to close. When I open it it has no problems other than turning it off. I have to force it off. Ran diagnostics and found no problems. duel 2.8 ghz xeon processors, 4 Gb Ram Vista Ultimate. Repairing the application (Diagnostics) only fixes the program files which are rarely the issue when Word goes wrong - see http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm or http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 -- <>>< ><<> >...

How to disable security warning
I have VBA procedure in MS Access that automatically sends e-mail; after upgrading to SBS2003 (Exchange Server2003) and Outlook2003 I now get warnings about each e-mail. I've loaded the admpack from the Outlook resource kit on the SBS, created the public folder "Outlook Security Settings" with read access for all users. I modified the security settings to automatically allow: When sending from Outlook object model; when sending items via CDO; when accessing the address book via Outlook and CDO; when accessing information via Outlook and CDO; and when executing SaveAs via...

Metabase Update Warnings
My Exchange Server 2003 SP2 (on W2K3 Server SP1) is working fine. However, I had to remove/reinstall IIS 6.0 after an issue withOWA. And now, I have my event log populated with this warning every 15 minutes: ---------- Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeMU Event Category: General Event ID: 1040 Date: 5/25/2006 Time: 11:10:14 AM User: N/A Computer: ATLANTA Description: Metabase Update failed replication 5 times with error 80070003 (The system cannot find the path specified.). Please change the diagnostic logging level of MSExchangeMU to 'minimum' or greater to find the sou...

Why did you disable animated gifs?
I would have never upgraded to outlook 2007 if I had known you disabled animated gifs. If it's for security reasons, I am willing to risk it. It should be up to the user to decide. Just put in an option the enable or disable animated gifs. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I...

Using a macro to make a list from Results
Hi, I have made a macro that runs another macro and copies the results to a new column thus creating a list. I want to make the macro run over a large number of cycles and create a large list without me having to type in the same command over and over. How can I do this? I have pasted the macro below: Sub Macro8() ' ' Macro8 Macro ' Macro recorded 2/06/2008 by deemo ' ' Application.Run "Iterate2" Range("B1").Select Selection.Copy Range("N8").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Range("F1").Select Selection.Copy Range("O8").Select Act...

Unable to open .DOC file. FILE DOWNLOAD box appears
Got a new pc a few months back with Vista home premium. Transferred files from old pc, was able to open old documents ok. But now when I try to open any .doc file (including those recently created from email attachments) I get the "file download" box and when I click "open" the box just pops back up again. Can open files created with Works and other programs ok. (Sometimes when I am doing this I get the "Windows Explorer wants to close" message.) I have the disc to upgrade to Windows 7 which I assume will fix the problem. Any suggestions for a quick ...

Macro Error: Unable to get Var property
My macro appears to have trouble calculating variance (using th worksheet function) for a range of cells I have. The code I have is: Lead_Y = ((WorksheetFunction.count("A:A") - 1) WorksheetFunction.Var("A:A")) / WorksheetFunction.Var(Original_Y) Where Original_Y is defined as: Set Original_Y = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A3:A300") My error is: Run-time error '1004': Unable to get the Var property of the WorksheetFunction class Any ideas why I might be getting this message would be tremendousl appreciated. Thanks, -Pet -- Message poste...

Slow MS-Outlook
MS-outlook functios very slowly sometimes. We have a Citrix terminal server environment with XP on clients and Win 2003 on servers. Any tip? I read somewhere about a file called outcmd.dat that can increase in size. Does this file exist in term.serv. environment too? I don't find it. I appreciate any help. An example of what happens is when a user wants to delete a message it takes several seconds til the message is away. Other operations go also slowly. Happens in both outlook 2000 and outlook 2003 cllients. Exchange is 2000 with SP3. ...

Assigning Macros to Function Keys?
Excel 2002, Windows XP I would like to simplify Edit/Paste by assigning that to the F1 key. As far as I can tell, using Toolbars\Customize doesn't help. Also, although I can assign a macro to a CTRL key, I haven't seen any options for assigning the macro to one of the function keys. Have I missed something? Or can anyone advise on how to use VBA to do this? (I have basic (very) knowledge of VB.) This is a obviously not a high priority question... but I am peeved because I know it should be do-able and don't have the time (ability?) to figure out how to use VBA for ...

Macros #3
I deleted all macros from my workbook and still get a 'Workbook contains macros' warning when opening the file. Is this a bug? What can I do to avoid the message? Hi you also have to delete the (empty) modules: - open the VBA editor (ALT+F11) - select your modules and delete them - close your VBA editor and save the workbook -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany LucB wrote: > I deleted all macros from my workbook and still get a 'Workbook > contains macros' warning when opening the file. Is this a bug? What > can I do to avoid the message? Hi LucB! See: Chi...

Saving files with macros
I use to be able to set the protection properties to enable macros and everything with macros would work without halting. Now in 2007 I must save in ..xlsm format for this to happen. I am the only person on my computer and it's real pain to remember to file as a special format when I have created macros. Is there way to just allow macros period? -- Skip Using Office 2003 Pro 2007 Student version There is a setting in Office | Excel Options that saves all files as macro-enabled best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from emai...

Can open docs but can't select or modify anything in Word
I can open all my Word docs, but suddenly I can't select or modify anything. When I close Word, it gives me a message "Word has stopped working properly" and then restarts the program. But nothing changes. So I deleted Office and re-installed on my hard drive. Didn't fix. Then a window came up suggesting that I install updates. I ran the Windows updater, which suggested 18 important updates were needed. Started downloading and now a window comes up saying all the updates failed, with the following errors: Code 80070020 "Windows Update encountered an unkno...

Make a Macro Button Look the way I want it to, not from the list
I have just gotten 2007, in the past I have set up Macro buttons for printing to different trays, for Tray 1 I made the Macro button look like the number 1, Tray 2 Macro button looked like the number 2 and Stack Bypass Macro Button had SB on it. I have managed to set up the macro buttons but I can't figure out how to customize the bottons to look how I want them to look as in not from the range made available at the time of recording the macro. See http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm or http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Ribbon_Custom_Icons.htm or http://gregmaxey.mvps....