Linking Word documents

I am trying to keep repetitive information that is required in several
different places consistent throughout a lengthy Word 2007 document.  I
locate the information in an independent document.  I get the information
into the target document in two ways: 1) I use the insert ribbon, Object tab
and then select Create from File; or 2) I use a copy command then select
Paste Special and choose Paste As Link and select Microsoft Office Word
Document Object.

In both cases, words simply wants to copy a single page even though I may
have selected to insert a multiple page document or have used the paste
special command.  Is it possible to insert a multiple page file (usually two
pages) using either of the commands above or a different procedure?

Objects cannot span pages in Word. Use instead an IncludeText field.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to keep repetitive information that is required in several
> different places consistent throughout a lengthy Word 2007 document.  I
> locate the information in an independent document.  I get the information
> into the target document in two ways: 1) I use the insert ribbon, Object
> tab
> and then select Create from File; or 2) I use a copy command then select
> Paste Special and choose Paste As Link and select Microsoft Office Word
> Document Object.
>
> In both cases, words simply wants to copy a single page even though I may
> have selected to insert a multiple page document or have used the paste
> special command.  Is it possible to insert a multiple page file (usually
> two
> pages) using either of the commands above or a different procedure?

0
Graham
12/11/2009 7:28:58 AM
Thanks Graham.  I appreciate your taking time to answer my question.  Very
kind of your.

I presume you are referring to:
Insert;  Quick parts;   Field;  Insert text; then enter filename.

That seems to work but does not automatically update changes from the source
document.  Is there any procedure that would automatically update changes in
the source document.

Thanks again,

Rob

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> Objects cannot span pages in Word. Use instead an IncludeText field.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to keep repetitive information that is required in several
> > different places consistent throughout a lengthy Word 2007 document.  I
> > locate the information in an independent document.  I get the information
> > into the target document in two ways: 1) I use the insert ribbon, Object
> > tab
> > and then select Create from File; or 2) I use a copy command then select
> > Paste Special and choose Paste As Link and select Microsoft Office Word
> > Document Object.
> >
> > In both cases, words simply wants to copy a single page even though I may
> > have selected to insert a multiple page document or have used the paste
> > special command.  Is it possible to insert a multiple page file (usually
> > two
> > pages) using either of the commands above or a different procedure?
> >

> .

You would need to force an update to the field. That's easy to achieve with
a macro - see the sample code at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

> Thanks Graham.  I appreciate your taking time to answer my question.  Very
> kind of your.
>
> I presume you are referring to:
> Insert;  Quick parts;   Field;  Insert text; then enter filename.
>
> That seems to work but does not automatically update changes from the
> source
> document.  Is there any procedure that would automatically update changes
> in
> the source document.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Rob
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> Objects cannot span pages in Word. Use instead an IncludeText field.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to keep repetitive information that is required in several
>> > different places consistent throughout a lengthy Word 2007 document.  I
>> > locate the information in an independent document.  I get the
>> > information
>> > into the target document in two ways: 1) I use the insert ribbon,
>> > Object
>> > tab
>> > and then select Create from File; or 2) I use a copy command then
>> > select
>> > Paste Special and choose Paste As Link and select Microsoft Office Word
>> > Document Object.
>> >
>> > In both cases, words simply wants to copy a single page even though I
>> > may
>> > have selected to insert a multiple page document or have used the paste
>> > special command.  Is it possible to insert a multiple page file
>> > (usually
>> > two
>> > pages) using either of the commands above or a different procedure?
>> >

>> .

0
Graham

Converting a Microsoft Word document to a PC document

Autofill In Linked Forms
I have created a couple of forms by selecting all the fileds in the form wizard from two tables: 1. Suppliers (Fields: Supplier, Address, Contact, etc.) 2. Products (Fields: Supplier <Lookedup from Supplier Table>, Product, Rate, etc.) Upon clicking the toggle button on Suppliers form I have the Products form opened. However, as I enter the data in it, I want the Supplier filed in the same be automatically be filled with the Supplier name as in the opened Supplier form so as to be filtered and displayed the next time I open the same instead of manually inserting the sa...

Word merged with Access
I am using both Word and Access 2003. When I merge a Word Letter with Access, sometimes not all of the queries show up, in the drop down box, to link the letter with. Does anyone have any ideas of why this happens? Is there a way to make all of the queries show up? Are the queries limited to a certain number? I would appreciate any help or ideas that you can give me. Aurora Aurora Without more information, I can only guess... Any chance any of those queries that are not showing up are NOT "select" queries (i.e., they are Make Table, or Delete or Insert queri...

Is there a list of characters that Word considers equivalent on Fi
Word's Find will find "equivalent" characters. For example, a find for straight quotes will also find curly quotes, and a find for a space will also find a non-breaking space. Where can I find a list of the characters that Word considers equivalent in this sense? Thanks. ...

Defaults on Print Sales Documents screen
Is there a way to set defaults on the boxes selected under the Picking Ticket column on the Print Sales Documents screen? Currently when we open the screen, we have to select which boxes to tick and since we always select the same boxes we wondered if there was a way to have them default when the screen is opened so we don't have to click each time. We want the "Picking Ticket Per Site" box, the "Include Kit Components" box and the "Bin Sequenced" box selected as default values. Thanks!! LMG, You can accomplish this with a small VBA customization, b...

Ease of visibility of the Ribbon in Word 2007 and Excel 2007
As installed the colour intensity of the Ribbon in Word and Excel 2007 is very faint and it is not particularly easy to read. Is there some means of increasing the colour intensity to make it easier to read? I have fairly good sight but still have difficulty. Unless the colour intensity can be adjusted it must be virtually impossible for people with poor sight to read the details on the Ribbon. Try this (not sure if you will have this on your computer but it is worth a try):- Control Panel / Ease of Access / Ease of Access Center There are a number of options in here ...

hyperlinks within the same document are not working
Hi. I am trying to create an email publication in MS publisher 2007. It has several stories that will be sent out in email and the first section is supposed to contain a summary with hyperlinks to each story within the same email for more details. I am adding a bookmark at the begining of each story, and then trying to create a hyperlink in the summary section to the bookmark. However, when I send the publication as email, or do an email preview, the hyperlinks do not work. Please help! ...

Changing source links in powerpoint
I currently have a powerpoint with source links to other powerpoint slides. These source links are currently internet address based links. I'm trying to change these current internet addresses to new internet addresses and each time I try I receive the error message: "You cannot use an internet address here. Enter a path that points to a location on your computer or on the network". I've been able to change the source links in the past and only began to encounter this problem around mid December. Does anyone know how to correct this or explain why I can no ...

Word to Excel conversion
As we are able to mail merge from the Excel data, is it possible to convert MS Word labels into Excel Data? Hi how do you store your data currently?. If it is in a Word Table you may simply copy+paste thiese contents to Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany vkumar2000@hotmail.com wrote: > As we are able to mail merge from the Excel data, is it > possible to convert MS Word labels into Excel Data? ...

Business Portal
BP 3.0 I am trying to set up our Business Portal to be as easy as possible for our sales team. One of the requests they have made is the ability to find out WHAT PO is COMMITTED to the SPECIFIC line item in an order. Similar to actually looking at GP Sales Transaction Entry window where it gives an icon to show that the item has been purchased, what PO it's been committed to. I have spent hours trying to make this happen. Has anyone else been able to do this? If so, I would appreciate detailed steps. Thank you ...

Amount in words to be printed on the invoice
Hi Mates, I need to print the invoice amount in words in MRMS 2.0 Any suggestions Thanks this is available through Microsoft. check out the following site: https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/downloads/reportslibrary/rms_reportslibrary.htm "RK" wrote: > Hi Mates, > > I need to print the invoice amount in words in MRMS 2.0 > > Any suggestions > > Thanks ...

Excel object within Word doc
I am sure I am doing something in error ... but all I want to do is take a spreadsheet and embed it in my word doc. I click on 'Insert', then 'Object', choose 'Excel 97-2003', 'Display as Icon', copy data into spreadsheet, 'save', 'close and return' ... However, when I go to view it at a later time - the spreadsheet does not open and I end up in the picture editing part of Word. ...

How to create an XML document with XmlTextWriter?
Hi, I'm trying to create an XML document with XMLTextWriter but I want to store it in memory (not write it to a file like so many examples do). I tried the following but with no luck. Should I not user this object for this purpose? Thanks, Dave MemoryStream stm = new MemoryStream() XmlTextWriter writer = new XmlTextWriter(stm, System.Text.Encoding.UTF8) writer.WriteStartDocument() writer.WriteComment("This Is A List of My Books") writer.WriteStartElement("MyBooks") writer.WriteStartElement("Book") writer.WriteAttributeString("ISBN", "1861005...

document elements (et. al.) toolbar in Word 2008
I may be in the minority here, but I happen to love the Ribbon UI on the PC version. It can collapse down to nothing when needed, and expand out (and even be customized I hear in 2010). That's on the PC. On the Mac I want a Mac-like UI. The Document Elements bar is so out to planet Jupiter on both functionality and as an accelerator into functions writers need most that it's laughable it made it into a release. (I'd much rather have a Mac ribbon that the Document Elements toolbar since at least the ribbon exposes USEFUL functions.) I mean, really =97 how many UPS or Del Mon...

Combine small documents into one master document
Hi, I currently have an "engagement letter" that is created for our clients to set the expectations for our business relationship (I work for attorneys). We have about 10 different paragraphs that may be inserted into the letter based on different factors (3rd party payor, if a retainer is required, etc.). So I start with the basic letter and then have a userform with checkboxes where you can select the text block options (stored in Autotext). When you click OK the various paragraphs are inserted at bookmarks. While this works, I find working with Autotext cumber...

visited links no longer change color
The links still work when clicked but, no longer show purple when visited. This happens in both Outlook and Outlook Express. Yesterday I tried making fonts a little larger as I have eyesight problem. Not sure if this is when the link color problem started. What I did exactly is: *Tools > Options > Mail Format > click "Fonts" button > click "International Fonts" button * At first I went through the list making each one "Larger" font size. * I realized that it's probably only "Western European" I need to change, so all others were set ...

Re-exporting functions from dynamically linked DLL
Hi, I have the following situation: I have a 3rd party DLL which does not include a LIB file, just a header file with typedef declarations for exported functions (It is intended for dynamic linking) I need to wrap the DLL to allow for callbacks to my own code (in Lisp), and to do this I need to load the DLL using LoadLibrary and access each function that I need using GetProcAddress. So for example: The third party header will say: typedef INT (WINAPI * lp_function)(); Then in my c wrapper file: #include "3rdparty.h" #ifdef _WIN32 #define DllExport __declspec(dllexport) #else #...

how to use 2007 styles in Word 2003
hi everyone, we have Word 2003 but we really like the Styles that come with Word 2007. Is it possible to export these Styles and use it in Word 2003? And if yes, how can i do that. In Word 2007, click the Home tab of the ribbon. In the Styles group, click Change Styles | Style Set | Word 2003. To make this choice the default, click Change Styles again, and then click Set as Default. If/when you are prompted to save the changes to your template, choose to do so. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "skoub" <skoub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Dlookup turn -1 or 0 into a word
I have a message box that displays if a product is 'Stocked' or 'Not STocked' but in the databse its stored as -1 or 0 I use the follwoing code DLookup("StockedItem", "tblProduct", "ProductID=" & Me.ProductID) So in the message box at the moment it says -1 or 0, how do i code it to says 'stocked' if -1 and 'Not STocked' if 0 Thanks Assuming ever field has a value: If Stocked = -1 Then MsgBox "Stocked", vbOKOnly Else MsgBox "Not Stocked", vbOKOnly End If -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MV...

attaching documents
I am trying to figure out how to attaching a document without having it appear as an icon in the body of the message. I want it to appear as a file name in a field under the subject. I used to be able to do this. Send the message in HTML or Plain Text format, instead of Rich Text format. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:030801c3bf58$bc799de0$a301280a@phx.gbl, beth.thompson@thomson.com wrote: > I am trying to figure out how to attaching a d...

time.h :Linking errors
Hi, I have an application where I am using the function like time(),gmtime() from time.h.My code compiles but I get linking errors. So Could you please tell which library needs to be included for time.h? Thanks in advance. Regards, Harish See the response to this exact same question that you asked yesterday -- Bruce Eitman (eMVP) Senior Engineer Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman Eurotech Inc. www.Eurotech.com "hari" <hari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11A4458D-67B1-49A9-B371-56A084A...

How do I stop Excel opening up my PDF documents
Hi thanks in advance, Every time I open up a pdf through email etc, Excel opens it up in excel. How do I stop this from happening? All the PDF's show in the email with an excel icon document image? Many thanks Isagold Mon, 29 Mar 2010 00:14:01 -0700 from isagold <isagold@discussions.microsoft.com>: > > Hi thanks in advance, > Every time I open up a pdf through email etc, Excel opens it up in excel. > How do I stop this from happening? > All the PDF's show in the email with an excel icon document image? Your file associations are screwed up. Yo...

Alphanumeric links
Does anyone know how to change what the alphanumeric links at the bottom of each page link to? My leads are cool - if I click D, it gives me all the leads who's company name start with D. I want the same for opportunities, but they link to the topic, not the company. Any ideas? I've taken a quick look and I don't think it's possible to change how this works. You can specify "find columns" but that only works for advanced find and when you type something in the "look for" textbox. It doesn't work for the alphanumeric links. -- Jeffry van de Vuurs...

How to transfer AutoCorrect entries from Word 2002 for Windows
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hi, <br><br>I have a friend who has built up a *massive* AutoCorrect file from many years of using Word 2002 on a Windows PC. Most are plain text, but a small number are formatted. He now (thankfully!) has a MacBook with Office 2004 and wants to know how he can move all of his AutoCorrect entries across to work under Word for Mac. I know where the AutoCorrect file is stored on his Mac (in the ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft folder), but it appears to be a completely different format to the corresponding file from his PC. &...

Excel Data to Word Mailing Labels
Has anyone ever done this? I've tried several ways to do this that seem like they should work and they don't. I've been sent several multi-hundred lined worksheets that include mailing label information, and I really don't want to have to type it again by hand into Word. Linda, Tell how your data in the table is laid out. Give a couple of rows of examples. Include the headings. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Linda" <ldaugherty@tams.com> wrote in message news:0f4901c37bea$c87a5...